Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 321269 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #2525 on: August 26, 2016, 04:51:12 PM »
They're stupidly rolling the dice, spending their money on one thing when it should be an epipen, is my point. 

I just don't believe that the line between life and death is so razor thin that even $600 or whatever it is separates it.  It's not the lack of $600 that will kill these people, it's their stupidity or ignorance to not do everything it takes to come up with the $600 to get something they need, while at the same time consuming things they don't truly need.  It's an extreme example but being homeless and with epipen would logically be better than being with roof and without epipen.  I assume we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

You really don't know the rather large and sweeping false assumption you're making just to be right?

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: August 27, 2016, 10:14:55 PM »
All of Hillary's secret service detail have epipens on the ready at all times.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: August 29, 2016, 10:47:35 AM »
no one thinks it's illegal, emo.  it's a symptom of a flawed system when a syringe filled with epinephrine that costs maybe a buck fifty to manufacture is sold for $600.

i don't get what your thing about "people can afford them" and they're a want not a need is about.  do you not know what epinephrine does?  some % of people that don't have them, but should, will die.  they're just rolling the dice.

I mean I would have thought my story about my ex-girlfriend having her life saved by epinephrine when she didn't even know she had a life threatening allergy would have illustrated that for him, but it's apparently more important to be right about an incorrect preconceived notion than to actually acquire knowledge. Oh well.

It's a stupid rough ridin' story unless you're advocating that everyone carry an epipen because they might have a life threatening allergy, in which case that's a rough ridin' stupid idea.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: August 29, 2016, 10:49:21 AM »
They're stupidly rolling the dice, spending their money on one thing when it should be an epipen, is my point. 

I just don't believe that the line between life and death is so razor thin that even $600 or whatever it is separates it.  It's not the lack of $600 that will kill these people, it's their stupidity or ignorance to not do everything it takes to come up with the $600 to get something they need, while at the same time consuming things they don't truly need.  It's an extreme example but being homeless and with epipen would logically be better than being with roof and without epipen.  I assume we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

You really don't know the rather large and sweeping false assumption you're making just to be right?

Maybe I don't.

If these people are so cheap why don't they just buy the generic?  It's muuuuuuuch cheaper and is even a 2-pack. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: August 29, 2016, 12:32:58 PM »
no one thinks it's illegal, emo.  it's a symptom of a flawed system when a syringe filled with epinephrine that costs maybe a buck fifty to manufacture is sold for $600.

i don't get what your thing about "people can afford them" and they're a want not a need is about.  do you not know what epinephrine does?  some % of people that don't have them, but should, will die.  they're just rolling the dice.

I mean I would have thought my story about my ex-girlfriend having her life saved by epinephrine when she didn't even know she had a life threatening allergy would have illustrated that for him, but it's apparently more important to be right about an incorrect preconceived notion than to actually acquire knowledge. Oh well.

It's a stupid rough ridin' story unless you're advocating that everyone carry an epipen because they might have a life threatening allergy, in which case that's a rough ridin' stupid idea.

That was preceded by a story about how businesses used to carry epipens but now they don't. It's significantly cheaper for us to have an aed than epipens, that's rough ridin' tragic.

Stop trying to be so contrary, you're terrible at it.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: August 29, 2016, 12:37:23 PM »
I missed the business part. 

Why don't they just buy the cheaper generic? 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: August 29, 2016, 12:41:13 PM »
Maybe it's part of their branding/marketing strategy?  "Only genuine save your life type crap here."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: August 29, 2016, 12:47:10 PM »

Maybe I don't.

If these people are so cheap why don't they just buy the generic?  It's muuuuuuuch cheaper and is even a 2-pack.

If you're speaking of adrenaclick, firstly it isn't a generic, more importantly it isn't easy to acquire although I'm guessing the last week has been a boon for them. You have to have a prescription, in the United States only, for adrenaclick or the epipen, and because of the amount of money Mylan flooded the market with, it is rarely asked for, prescribed by doctors, or carried by pharmacists. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that Mylan pays doctors to prescribe epipen, that isn't rare by any means. I'm sure this will and has changed somewhat but its worth noting that adrenaclick isn't "cheap."

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2533 on: August 29, 2016, 01:09:15 PM »
Hey guys, let's just all agree our national policy concerning the development of medical technology should be based upon some kid MIR knows who wants to keep an epipen in his fanny pack just-in-case, but can't swing the $300 for a two-pack.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: August 29, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »
Do you have to buy these things by the 2 pack? That's ridiculous, if so.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: August 29, 2016, 01:28:57 PM »

Maybe I don't.

If you're speaking of adrenaclick, firstly it isn't a generic, more importantly it isn't easy to acquire although I'm guessing the last week has been a boon for them. You have to have a prescription, in the United States only, for adrenaclick or the epipen, and because of the amount of money Mylan flooded the market with, it is rarely asked for, prescribed by doctors, or carried by pharmacists. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that Mylan pays doctors to prescribe epipen, that isn't rare by any means. I'm sure this will and has changed somewhat but its worth noting that adrenaclick isn't "cheap."

I'm not sure the name of it.  Small town pharmacy talk ya know. 

How does a business stock something that requires a prescription? 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: August 29, 2016, 03:47:52 PM »

Maybe I don't.

I'd guess it would be much easier for a daycare or a nature center to get a Rx than a tattoo parlor or a plumbing supply company but who knows my common sense radar may be completely off.

I'm not sure what your point was in asking such a stupid question, but if the point is that it is asinine that you need a prescription for an epipen or adrenaclick, I wholeheartedly agree.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: August 29, 2016, 04:21:50 PM »

Maybe I don't.

I'd guess it would be much easier for a daycare or a nature center to get a Rx than a tattoo parlor or a plumbing supply company but who knows my common sense radar may be completely off.

I'm not sure what your point was in asking such a stupid question, but if the point is that it is asinine that you need a prescription for an epipen or adrenaclick, I wholeheartedly agree.

I didn't have a point, just asking a question.  I do however wonder how many businesses stock epipens, and how many of those will no longer do so purely due to this increase in price.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: August 29, 2016, 04:37:53 PM »
I haven't surveyed by any means but in my industry there are a lot fewer camps that keep them on site. We still have trainer pens and trainon how to use them but don't carry the actual pens.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: August 30, 2016, 01:56:56 PM »
Can you just get a pre-filled syringe of epinephrine? You could use one of these to administer it.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOJECT-SELF-MUMFORD-Choice-One/dp/B004N10F7U

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: August 30, 2016, 03:37:11 PM »
you can get a vial of epinephrine and fill your own syringe if you ever need to, but you have to specifically ask a doctor to prescribe that for you.  you can't substitute a vial of epinephrine for an epipen script even though it's the exact same thing.

and because our medical system likes to pretend that cost is completely irrelevant to medical decisions, basically no american doctor ever asks their patient - hey, would you prefer a script for a $10 vial of epinephrine or for two $600 epipens?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: August 30, 2016, 03:39:35 PM »
It's because all those hot pharma sales reps are blowing the doctors.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: August 30, 2016, 03:44:38 PM »
don't even get me started on why you need a doctor's permission to purchase the medical treatment you know you need in the first place.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: September 28, 2016, 02:09:19 PM »
With Mrs. Wacky's situation, we thought about adding her to my insurance plan here at work. I currently pay $38 a paycheck for my medical insurance and my work covers most of the remainder. Guess how much it would be a paycheck if I added Mrs. Wacky right now? $277 a paycheck!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 02:17:26 PM by WackyCat08 »

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: September 28, 2016, 02:15:29 PM »
rough ridin' breeders

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: September 28, 2016, 02:42:35 PM »
That's a rounding error for someone making as much as you are
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: September 28, 2016, 02:48:46 PM »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: September 28, 2016, 02:54:28 PM »
WC you have no idea my friend.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: September 28, 2016, 02:56:03 PM »
I'm terrified moving forward, friend.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: September 28, 2016, 02:57:49 PM »
With Mrs. Wacky's situation, we thought about adding her to my insurance plan here at work. I currently pay $38 a paycheck for my medical insurance and my work covers most of the remainder. Guess how much it would be a paycheck if I added Mrs. Wacky right now? $277 a paycheck!

Who pays the rest of the remainder?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite