Author Topic: New President (K-State, not USA)  (Read 10313 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: New President (K-State, not USA)
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2021, 07:32:42 PM »

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2021, 07:36:47 PM »

I wish it was this guy. He has the most seductive voice. He interviewed with Myers during the last search.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2021, 05:37:16 AM »
I'll be honest, I don't have the slightest clue what a good /bad president looks like or what expectations should be during their tenure.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2021, 08:55:29 AM »
It's all in the eye of the beholder. The dude that kat kid listed looks like a strong candidate for those who want a UP who will prioritize our standing as a research institution. I don't know what the hell that will entail but with his background it's clear that he's a research guy, stands to reason he would prioritize research.

When Oklahoma State hired Dr. Kayse Shrum she had the reputation of a program builder. She was the president of their medical school, she increased enrollment and got then medical school a $200 million grant. It was blood money from Purdue Pharma, but it's whatever I guess.

I'm going to be underwhelmed by whomever it will be, because my priorities don't align with the KSBOR.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2021, 09:07:15 AM »
It's all in the eye of the beholder. The dude that kat kid listed looks like a strong candidate for those who want a UP who will prioritize our standing as a research institution. I don't know what the hell that will entail but with his background it's clear that he's a research guy, stands to reason he would prioritize research.

When Oklahoma State hired Dr. Kayse Shrum she had the reputation of a program builder. She was the president of their medical school, she increased enrollment and got then medical school a $200 million grant. It was blood money from Purdue Pharma, but it's whatever I guess.

I'm going to be underwhelmed by whomever it will be, because my priorities don't align with the KSBOR.

These days I think the primary job of a university president is to raise money.

Offline jar

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2021, 10:10:49 AM »

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2021, 10:12:40 AM »
https://twitter.com/kellisrobinett/status/1466439484355096591?s=21

The dean of a random college from a mid-tier large state school seems underwhelming, but what do I know.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »
I take it the person you knew that interviewed was not this dude?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2021, 10:32:12 AM »

I wish it was this guy. He has the most seductive voice. He interviewed with Myers during the last search.
Eugene Levy would've been my second choice too

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2021, 10:34:22 AM »

The dean of a random college from a mid-tier large state school seems underwhelming, but what do I know.

The last UP they hired that was any good, outside of his ridiculous wife and several other weird things.   Was some associate pres at Mississippi State.

NC State is a vastly superior academic school than Mississippi State. 

Entire career at Power 5 Schools, has been in an atmosphere and school that has to deal with lunatics just down the road in Chapel Hill at every political turn, just like in Kansas.   Good fit for K-State IMO.   We'll see.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2021, 10:34:43 AM »
I take it the person you knew that interviewed was not this dude?

No. I knew the OSU guy in town within the last few months. I don’t know anything about him either, I just heard it from the guy that sits next to me at football games.

Just seems like college deans usually go into some sort of university leadership position like provost or VP of research before getting a UP job.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2021, 10:49:48 AM »

The last UP they hired that was any good, outside of his ridiculous wife and several other weird things.   Was some associate pres at Mississippi State.

Entire career at Power 5 Schools, has been in an atmosphere and school that has to deal with lunatics just down the road in Chapel Hill at every political turn, just like in Kansas.   Good fit for K-State IMO.   We'll see.

I am very uneducated about this type of thing, but I think Dax has great points here.  I like the hire, and I don't think NC State's ag program is a "random college." That's tied for the most important College at KSU, IMO...I'd put Engineering and Business up there too with Ag.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2021, 10:56:13 AM »
It’s orders of magnitude better than Richard Myers so at least we have that going for us.  Not sure how much longer Mean Gene intends to stick around but this guy will likely get to hire a new AD in a few years.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2021, 11:17:07 AM »
Hopefully this guy earns himself a cool nickname. Welcome, Mr. Linton!
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2021, 11:26:11 AM »
dean of Agriculture and Life Sciences at North Carolina State

Lol. Once in my life I'd like to see something totally unexpected like "dean of NYU's Tisch School of the Arts."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2021, 11:43:53 AM »

The Fuzz

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2021, 02:00:47 PM »
This statement about a page down of the Topeka Capital-Journal article caught me by surprise with the context of the rest of the article: "Linton is the 15th president at K-State since its founding in 1863. All 15 have been White men."

https://www.cjonline.com/story/news/education/2021/12/02/new-k-state-president-richard-linton-touts-land-grant-background-agriculture-myersuniversity/8836411002/

SLPT: Get really good at sports. The rest takes care of itself. Maybe call your friends at tOSU and find out how they pay players? It may have gotten KU a big 10 invite.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2021, 02:05:33 PM »
How soon can this guy get in here and fire Messingham?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2021, 03:18:13 PM »
his undergrad, grad and phd were all at VaTech - if he is not a football fan he definitely has seen the positive effects first hand and should support it

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2021, 03:33:44 PM »
his undergrad, grad and phd were all at VaTech - if he is not a football fan he definitely has seen the positive effects first hand and should support it

:emawkid:

https://twitter.com/cals_dean/status/1439375033101606919?s=21

https://twitter.com/cals_dean/status/1464668807302205445?s=21

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2021, 04:27:41 PM »

The Fuzz

You do realize his last name is Linton.  There's only one name for the original manufacture of microwaves...
MR. MICROWAVE!  :gocho:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2021, 04:28:15 PM »

I am very uneducated about this type of thing, but I think Dax has great points here.  I like the hire, and I don't think NC State's ag program is a "random college." That's tied for the most important College at KSU, IMO...I'd put Engineering and Business up there too with Ag.

It just seems like they went two rungs down from the UP level. I get NC State is a good school. I’d just think there would be more interest from people at the Provost/other VP position type level with experience managing an aspect of an entire university from one of twenty NC State type schools out there. I thought there’d be a pool of people with this guy’s experience plus more at a university wide level.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2021, 04:34:15 PM »

It just seems like they went two rungs down from the UP level. I get NC State is a good school. I’d just think there would be more interest from people at the Provost/other VP position type level with experience managing an aspect of an entire university from one of twenty NC State type schools out there. I thought there’d be a pool of people with this guy’s experience plus more at a university wide level.

It's like this; some school AD's can pull coaches like Lincoln Riley from a top P5 school and others like us can't even get a sitting G5 coach. Be happy with what we got.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2021, 04:41:08 PM »
This statement about a page down of the Topeka Capital-Journal article caught me by surprise with the context of the rest of the article: "Linton is the 15th president at K-State since its founding in 1863. All 15 have been White men."

https://www.cjonline.com/story/news/education/2021/12/02/new-k-state-president-richard-linton-touts-land-grant-background-agriculture-myersuniversity/8836411002/