Author Topic: Solar Panel Thread  (Read 788 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Solar Panel Thread
« on: August 22, 2022, 12:45:32 PM »
Got a bid for solar panels on my house. Wasn't terrible, but still a bit more than I want to spend. I have another company coming this week to give me a bid. The first one gave estimates that would cover about 85% of my energy usage. We are trying to keep panels in the back of the house only. The "payback was around 11" years with their estimates that seemed fairly reasonable from my research. The tax credit also just jumped to 30% which is pretty great. The panels and labor are warrantied for 25 years. It seems like a decent "investment" overall and i'm down with offsetting my footprint a bit, but i'm having trouble pulling the trigger. Does anyone else have panels on their house? Recommend or no?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Panel Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 12:55:32 PM »
Got a bid for solar panels on my house. Wasn't terrible, but still a bit more than I want to spend. I have another company coming this week to give me a bid. The first one gave estimates that would cover about 85% of my energy usage. We are trying to keep panels in the back of the house only. The "payback was around 11" years with their estimates that seemed fairly reasonable from my research. The tax credit also just jumped to 30% which is pretty great. The panels and labor are warrantied for 25 years. It seems like a decent "investment" overall and i'm down with offsetting my footprint a bit, but i'm having trouble pulling the trigger. Does anyone else have panels on their house? Recommend or no?

@Gooch does I think.  I'm planning on looking into it once I figure out my new house in KC too.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 12:57:06 PM »
I really wish I did, I have far too many trees to justify it, though some in my neighborhood have.

May I ask who you got a bid from so far? Price per Watt?
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 01:07:43 PM »
I really wish I did, I have far too many trees to justify it, though some in my neighborhood have.

Astrawatt. Its a 9.2kW system and the total was a bit over $32k before the 30% credit. For that much, i'd like to get more than 86% of my usage, but  :dunno:

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 01:12:38 PM »
Does your electric company pay you for electricity you put back on the grid?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 01:16:43 PM »

Yes, we have net metering. They buy back at wholesale rates. According to the estimates, I would be generating more than my usage about 3 months a year.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 01:24:21 PM »
Our electric company does not buy back so it doesn't make any sense for us to get solar.  Maybe if I had a Tesla and a power wall, but I don't.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 01:30:34 PM »
Our electric company does not buy back so it doesn't make any sense for us to get solar.  Maybe if I had a Tesla and a power wall, but I don't.

I'd love to get a battery backup. We lose power quite a bit for some reason, but yeah, they are pricy. The guys coming out this week sell power walls and asked me if i'm interested and I said not right now. Could be something to add down the road I guess, but since I can sell back even at shitty rates, it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 12:44:37 PM »
Guess I'm the only one trying to save the world over here. Bid 2 came back. This dood was more salesy than the last one. He was nice though. Had to listen to the whole 10 minute presentation which was  :sdeek: Way less production estimate than the first bid. 2nd dude basically said the first dude may be fudging the numbers. He was also more expensive, which really sucks. Lower production and more cost wasn't what I was after. Seems I need to find a 3rd dude to break the tie or I'll prob just forget the whole thing and delete this thread. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 12:45:53 PM »
Guess I'm the only one trying to save the world over here. Bid 2 came back. This dood was more salesy than the last one. He was nice though. Had to listen to the whole 10 minute presentation which was  :sdeek: Way less production estimate than the first bid. 2nd dude basically said the first dude may be fudging the numbers. He was also more expensive, which really sucks. Lower production and more cost wasn't what I was after. Seems I need to find a 3rd dude to break the tie or I'll prob just forget the whole thing and delete this thread.
SF what was the annual production per KW your people have projected?
:adios:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 12:46:47 PM »
Also, is the back of your house facing south?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 12:58:24 PM »
Also, is the back of your house facing south?

It is not, which is part of the issue. The first guy was about 13,000 kWh per year which was at 85%. The second guy was around 9k.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 01:05:46 PM »
I do know of a guy that got panels installed that only ever produced a fraction of what was promised.  I don't know how common it is for a salesman to overpromise on them.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 01:20:32 PM »
I do know of a guy that got panels installed that only ever produced a fraction of what was promised.  I don't know how common it is for a salesman to overpromise on them.

Yeah, that is the issue. I spend a ton of money, have huge panels all over my house and then get way less production than estimated. That's the main reason I'm getting multiple bids. Cost is obv a concern, but the production numbers are already vastly different between just 2 companies. Prob going to hold off and reconsider when I need/get a new roof. That is the other issue. It is $200 per panel to remove and put back if I need a new roof, which I will most likely in the next 25 years.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 02:38:19 PM »
Have you considered putting a giant wind turbine in your backyard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2022, 03:45:01 PM »

Astrawatt. Its a 9.2kW system and the total was a bit over $32k before the 30% credit. For that much, i'd like to get more than 86% of my usage, but  :dunno:

Yeah, it's a lil high, this site seems to back that up (though your after tax will put it somewhat normal)

https://www.ecowatch.com/solar/panel-cost/ks

Yes, we have net metering. They buy back at wholesale rates. According to the estimates, I would be generating more than my usage about 3 months a year.

That is correct, you only get the cost to generate back, not all the transmission/distribution/other fees

I'd also recommend (if you haven't already) to look at this site to back up (or check) any promised numbers. Obviously it's not perfect but should help

https://sunroof.withgoogle.com/
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2022, 05:46:26 PM »

Here’s an estimate if your roof is angled towards the west - 10,950.  Lot of factors go into it, but the NREL calculator is pretty easy to play with.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2022, 06:12:39 PM »
I'm adding solar to my RV. Pairing with the existing genset and fresh batteries. Hurricane preparedness is high priority for my new residency.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk