Author Topic: Tablet pc/E Book  (Read 47266 times)

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
Re: Tablet pc/E Book
« Reply #225 on: November 18, 2011, 02:53:42 PM »
If the source is released, why is one more "open and customizable" than the other?

Just because the source is released, doesn't mean anyone can go right in and change stuff up. There is still no android market and it's still locked down. You're gonna have to be a developer who will spend months recoding it to get it more open and customizable.

Side loading apps can be done very easily on the Fire, so I wouldn't really need the market. And once again, what do you mean more open and customizable. Once the phone is rooted, (which I assume will be a given if this is actually ported to another device) it will be as open and customizable as any other android device, you just have to know what to edit.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 18, 2011, 03:16:31 PM »
If the source is released, why is one more "open and customizable" than the other?

Just because the source is released, doesn't mean anyone can go right in and change stuff up. There is still no android market and it's still locked down. You're gonna have to be a developer who will spend months recoding it to get it more open and customizable.

Side loading apps can be done very easily on the Fire, so I wouldn't really need the market. And once again, what do you mean more open and customizable. Once the phone is rooted, (which I assume will be a given if this is actually ported to another device) it will be as open and customizable as any other android device, you just have to know what to edit.

No launchers, themes, widgets, etc.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 18, 2011, 03:17:56 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/18/kindle-fire-vs-nook-tablet-fight/#continued

With the stock OS, I'd probably get the Kindle Fire. With Cyanogenmod, I'd get the Nook tablet.

My wife bought a couple nook colors for a little over $100 a month ago. I've had fun putting other roms on it. I still don't have much use for it beyond reading, but it's a decent little toy to have.

I bought a couple factory refurbished Nook Colors for $130 for my kids for xmas.  Planning on rooting them and putting android on them for games, apps, and other stuff.  Couldn't pass them up so cheap.  Came with 2yr warranties too.

I think ours are 1 yr warranties. Gets voided after root. Throw CM7 and overclock to 1200 Mhz, and it's pretty snazzy.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 18, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »

No launchers, themes, widgets, etc.

Fair enough.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 18, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »

With the stock OS, I'd probably get the Kindle Fire. With Cyanogenmod, I'd get the Nook tablet.

My wife bought a couple nook colors for a little over $100 a month ago. I've had fun putting other roms on it. I still don't have much use for it beyond reading, but it's a decent little toy to have.

I bought a couple factory refurbished Nook Colors for $130 for my kids for xmas.  Planning on rooting them and putting android on them for games, apps, and other stuff.  Couldn't pass them up so cheap.  Came with 2yr warranties too.

I think ours are 1 yr warranties. Gets voided after root. Throw CM7 and overclock to 1200 Mhz, and it's pretty snazzy.

I read a few months ago that if you try to root the nook, and for some reason fail, you can simply perform a hard reset and it will reset it back to the B&N factory nook software settings.  If this is the case, why would it void warranty?

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 18, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »

I read a few months ago that if you try to root the nook, and for some reason fail, you can simply perform a hard reset and it will reset it back to the B&N factory nook software settings.  If this is the case, why would it void warranty?

Rooting will always void the warranty. Companies can't support other people's operating systems. The good part about that, is they don't usually enforce it.

As for the factory settings, yes, it's very easy. You can either load it up and have it reset, or you can interrupt the boot 8 times in a row. Basically turn it off before it finishes booting.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »
nook color touchscreens are terrible. But it's still better as a CM7 tablet than a reader.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 18, 2011, 04:46:34 PM »
you get what you pay for.  just look at frank's recruiting.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 18, 2011, 05:26:26 PM »
I do no rooting or other nerd stuff. 

Just got the Kindle Fires...they are cool looking.  Pretty comparable to most other tablets I have played with.  At them moment i am trouble shooting what appears to be a problem with the Fetzer valve on my wireless router, so no interwebz on the kindles for just a bit.   Buying a new router tonight with a larger Fetzer, so should clear this up.  WILL REPORT!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 18, 2011, 07:45:22 PM »
So,works pretty we'll.

Very smooth in moving around.  Mostly just like a big version of my Evo, which I expected.

I like it.   For what I will do, it is a great discount off of the more costly competitors.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 18, 2011, 07:56:59 PM »
I would love one just to be a cook book because it's a pain in the ass to have my laptop on the counter or try to read my phone while chef'ing my ass off.  #firstworldproblems

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 18, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »
So,works pretty we'll.

Very smooth in moving around.  Mostly just like a big version of my Evo, which I expected.

I like it.   For what I will do, it is a great discount off of the more costly competitors.

Very underwhelming review...  :shakesfist:

Is the tiny screen too tiny?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 18, 2011, 10:06:21 PM »
How is the typing? Any swype our slide it like input?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 18, 2011, 10:10:06 PM »
So,works pretty we'll.

Very underwhelming review...  :shakesfist:

Is the tiny screen too tiny?

It is fine for most stuff.

If it were wider, it would be harder to type with two thumbs.

I don't have a swipe app yet, but I don't use one on my Evo either.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 18, 2011, 10:12:13 PM »
pete, you should work for gizmodo or cnet.  great job bro!

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 18, 2011, 10:55:18 PM »
nook color touchscreens are terrible. But it's still better as a CM7 tablet than a reader.

They seemed really off when trying to touch certain places. There's an app called Nook Screen Recalibrater. It pretty much fixed all issues. Now it's just as responsive as my Evo. The quality of the screen is great though. The Nook Tablet is supposed to have a much better screen quality than the Fire, as well.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 18, 2011, 11:11:41 PM »

Yeah he's awful and a giant disappointment.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 18, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »

great post on opposite day douche face

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 18, 2011, 11:40:24 PM »

Yeah you are awful and a giant disappointment.

On regular day.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 18, 2011, 11:43:19 PM »

On regular day.

maybe on opposite day :face:

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 19, 2011, 12:22:05 AM »

On regular day.

IF PETE WERE REVIEWING HOW AWFUL AND DISAPPOINTING YOU ARE HE WOULD SAY

"YEAH STEVE DAVE IS PRETTY AWFUL AND DISAPPOINTING AND STUFF, IM NOT GOING TO GIVE ANY DETAILS OR ANYTHING OR EVEN TALK ABOUT THE ONE THING FP TC WANTED ME TO (screen size) BUT YEAH HE WAS AWFUL AND DISAPPOINTING"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 19, 2011, 12:25:12 AM »

On regular day.

"YEAH STEVE DAVE IS PRETTY AWFUL AND DISAPPOINTING AND STUFF, IM NOT GOING TO GIVE ANY DETAILS OR ANYTHING OR EVEN TALK ABOUT THE ONE THING FP TC WANTED ME TO (screen size) BUT YEAH HE WAS AWFUL AND DISAPPOINTING"

If Pete was reviewing steve dave he wouldn't mention whatever neck beard thing you are mad about I can assure you....unless it was opposite day :face:

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 19, 2011, 12:33:05 PM »

On regular day.

If Pete was reviewing steve dave he wouldn't mention whatever neck beard thing you are mad about I can assure you....unless it was opposite day :face:

If it were opposite day he would say steve dave is really cool and interesting and good looking  :comehere:

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 19, 2011, 01:16:14 PM »
Guys, these hurtful attacks blatantly violate board rules. I'm reporting this thread to moderators. Hopefully you two can act like civilized people again.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 19, 2011, 02:52:28 PM »
Guys, these hurtful attacks blatantly violate board rules. I'm reporting this thread to moderators. Hopefully you two can act like civilized people again.

Good point ew2x4. I have reported steve dave and requested he be banned. His behavior is shameful and cannot be allowed to continue.