Author Topic: Tablet pc/E Book  (Read 48034 times)

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Tablet pc/E Book
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »
Cruising goEMAW om my new Window 7 tablet pc. Pretty sweet ride and half the price of the Ipad.  :pbj:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:35:16 PM by steve dave »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Tablet pc
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:42:50 PM »
which one?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:48:54 PM »
Winpad 7. I was going to go with an Android tablet but i could only get it in a 8'' screen with the 2.2 os. I really wanted the 10" screen so went with the windows tablet.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 10:48:20 PM »
is there nerdy 'clams info about the Android tablet buried in one of these threads?  I don't want to search

tia

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 11:20:51 PM »
Wife and I bought the Galaxy tab for Xmas. Size is peculiar to me. We'll see.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 05:19:32 PM »
is there nerdy 'clams info about the Android tablet buried in one of these threads?  I don't want to search

tia

there's a bunch of android tablets on the market, i wouldn't recommend buying one yet.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 05:21:41 PM »

tia

there's a bunch of android tablets on the market, i wouldn't recommend buying one yet.

Why?  One coming out soon that will be better, or diff OS? 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »
android will always be the os on an android tab, they need to optimize it though for tablet purposes.  i just think the hardware manufacturers are basically selling big smartphones without the phone part.  they need to bring out the bells and whistles (like 4G capability) before i would consider one.  the apps aren't there yet either.

the second gen tabs will be out in spring time, i'd wait until then if i was going to get a android tablet.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »
tablets seem really dumb. when I see people using them in public places I want to go punch them in the face

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 06:42:17 PM »
tablets seem really dumb. when I see people using them in public places I want to go punch them in the face
:curse:

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 07:01:06 PM »
Yeah, in our staff meeting one of the guys uses an IPad.  I just stare at him like he was Jake Pullen his freshman year and just took an ill advised 3.  I really want to punch him in the baby maker.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 09:54:59 PM »
What clams said. Wife likes the Galaxy size for mobility, but it will ultimately get the most use in front of the TV. Therefore it will eventually won't do enough, be big enough, powerful enough etc. I should be able to use that effer as a TV remote.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 01:35:16 AM »
android will always be the os on an android tab, they need to optimize it though for tablet purposes.  i just think the hardware manufacturers are basically selling big smartphones without the phone part.  they need to bring out the bells and whistles (like 4G capability) before i would consider one.  the apps aren't there yet either.

the second gen tabs will be out in spring time, i'd wait until then if i was going to get a android tablet.

Kind of weird that the apps aren't the same, no?  What about HP's WebOS tablet, I'd possibly consider that.  I loved WebOS, but now that I've gone Android I didn't realize the absolute shitty selection of apps that's available with WebOS.

Offline KSUTOMMY

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 08:36:09 AM »
Is there anything the tablet can do that a laptop can't? I might consider the iPad (as I need a new laptop anyway), but I think I'd want to have dual cameras, no?
We are K-State and we love to hire SHlTTY coaches.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 02:35:04 PM »
I don't get the tablets. I get ereaders. Tablets though? They don't fill any spot that I need. Between my Evo, my laptop, and my desktop workstation, I'm pretty covered. The last thing I need is something bigger than my pocket and awkard to hold.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 01:34:48 PM »
I don't get the tablets. I get ereaders. Tablets though? They don't fill any spot that I need. Between my Evo, my laptop, and my desktop workstation, I'm pretty covered. The last thing I need is something bigger than my pocket and awkard to hold.

I used to think the same thing until I got the girlfriend an iPad for her birthday. It's actually much more convenient than a laptop if you're just laying on the couch. I always keep it handy during games to check scores/boxscores.

We use our laptops at home more like desktops now (they generally stay in the same location), while it's pretty easy to tote the iPad around.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 03:11:36 PM »
I used to think the IPad was dumb until I got one. Pretty cool for lots of things, but it's primarily an entertainment device. For massive typing stuff or things like photoshop, I still go with a laptop.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 11:50:31 PM »

I used to think the same thing until I got the girlfriend an iPad for her birthday. It's actually much more convenient than a laptop if you're just laying on the couch. I always keep it handy during games to check scores/boxscores.

We use our laptops at home more like desktops now (they generally stay in the same location), while it's pretty easy to tote the iPad around.

I use the Evo for checking quick stuff online. It doesn't do anything for me I can't already do.

Offline Johnny Thunderbone

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 02:01:12 AM »

I use the Evo for checking quick stuff online. It doesn't do anything for me I can't already do.

Glad I held out on my Sprint upgrade for the EVO.  Haven't had a single complaint, and 6 months into owning it I still get the "Wow, that is a beautiful phone," from passersby.

Re: tablets, I would definitely hold out on an Android until Honeycomb is released.  Should be completely optimized for tablets by then, with much more third-party support.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 06:45:23 PM »
Posted from ipad

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2010, 12:35:21 AM »
Posted from ipad

Ditto. Seems to work pretty good. :dunno: It's like a supercomputer but with frisbee capability.

Ooh, nice outfit. What is that, Dacron?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 01:16:44 AM »
Novelty items, no function

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2010, 01:29:20 AM »
Novelty items, no function

It it's not a $2,000 computer, I don't want it. Right Hems?

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 02:13:41 AM »
Got a Kindle from the ladyfriend. Wasn't looking to get one, but she knows I like techy stuff so she got it on her own. Figured I'd get a tablet in a year or two that would also function as an ebook reader, but this will be fun to play with in the meantime.

My iPhone has pretty much rendered my netbook irrelevant for couch/TV browsing. Think the iPad would be pretty sweet for that, though.