Author Topic: Tablet pc/E Book  (Read 48047 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Tablet pc/E Book
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
I would wait for Windows 8 tablets. Like current tablets, except you aren't restricted to a shitty mobile OS.

typical window's user.  always waiting for the next greatest thing that never materializes. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2011, 05:54:02 PM »
I would wait for Windows 8 tablets. Like current tablets, except you aren't restricted to a shitty mobile OS.

You want to use Windows 8's shitty mobile OS features so you don't have to use an actual shitty mobile OS? If you had access to full Windows capabilities on tablets, what do you expect to use it for?

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2011, 07:33:18 PM »
Seems like you might as well just get one or the other.

It's a tablet that has a keyboard attachment, you can buy them separately.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2011, 07:44:20 PM »

You want to use Windows 8's shitty mobile OS features so you don't have to use an actual shitty mobile OS? If you had access to full Windows capabilities on tablets, what do you expect to use it for?

Anything you want? If you want to use Office, or Visual Studio, or w/e on your tablet you could throw it on a dock and fire it up. The point is trying to actually make tablets more useful, instead of being just a gadget. If you don't want to, you never have to leave the metro interface, but say you have your tablet docked, and perhaps hooked up to an external display then you now have a fully fledged workstation.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 06, 2011, 07:54:35 PM »

Anything you want? If you want to use Office, or Visual Studio, or w/e on your tablet you could throw it on a dock and fire it up. The point is trying to actually make tablets more useful, instead of being just a gadget. If you don't want to, you never have to leave the metro interface, but say you have your tablet docked, and perhaps hooked up to an external display then you now have a fully fledged workstation.

So you don't like the hardware, as opposed to the shitty mobile OS?

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 06, 2011, 07:55:29 PM »

The traditional windows applications that you are used to will most likely not be available on ARM Window (tablets)

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 06, 2011, 08:08:27 PM »
Office was ported to ARM a long time ago. Whether or not they make it use the Metro UI is really the only thing up in the air.  There are always x86 tablets if someone needed maximum compatibility.

What? What I was saying is that a tablet COULD be a do-all device if done right.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 06, 2011, 08:18:05 PM »
Office was ported to ARM a long time ago. Whether or not they make it use the Metro UI is really the only thing up in the air.  There are always x86 tablets if someone needed maximum compatibility.

What? What I was saying is that a tablet COULD be a do-all device if done right.

that's some ground breaking crap right there.  hey, i got an idea.  this tablet could be a lot better if it could do more things*.  *patent pending.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 06, 2011, 08:55:48 PM »
Seems like you might as well just get one or the other.

It's a tablet that has a keyboard attachment, you can buy them separately.

Don't almost all of them have keyboards you can buy separately? Maybe I'm confusing it with something else...

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2011, 10:26:02 PM »
just click on my link.  or don't.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2011, 12:03:06 AM »
just click on my link.  or don't.

I choose don't  :comehere:

Okay, so I did. Looks interesting, I don't really like the way it looks or how much bezel there is before you get to useable screen.

But those are just personal preference type things. Also the performance numbers meant nothing to me.

Is it like, super fast or something?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 07, 2011, 10:26:54 AM »

The traditional windows applications that you are used to will most likely not be available on ARM Window (tablets)

I would like a tab with a full size HDMI out that could turn any modern tv at the inlaws, vaca rentals, work functions, etc in to a display for what would be a mobile HTPC. 

It seems to me that some providers, specifically ESPN, is still trying to allow only desktop and laptops to watch content on a large display.  For example, ESPN now makes phones and tablets use the WatchESPN app whereas a year ago my DroidX could get on ESPN3.

Hemmy or anybody else that might know, can you link a device that can do the above?

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »
All android tablets used to be able to/can still run ESPN  3. The problem is that Adobe is discontinuing flash for all mobile devices, so in the near future, there will not be any devices that will work on ESPN 3.

Offline one/64th

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 07, 2011, 12:24:13 PM »

Anyone who buys a tablet to edit video on and write documents is a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  A tablet is for bbsing, facebooking, tweeting and watching movies.  So yes, it is a gadget which is kind of the point I guess.

Anyhoo, I bought the Asus Transformer via Best Buy today.  It's on sale for $299 as opposed to $399 everywhere else in the world.  I'll let you know how it is after I get it. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 27, 2011, 03:00:58 PM »
Any more Fire input now that they have been out for a while?  I am going to buy either the Fire or a Nook Color w/ N2A card and can't decides which to get.  Both sound pretty similar and the only difference that seems worthy of discussing is storage in that the Fire can't be expanded. 

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 05, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 05, 2012, 04:10:40 PM »
Any more Fire input now that they have been out for a while?  I am going to buy either the Fire or a Nook Color w/ N2A card and can't decides which to get.  Both sound pretty similar and the only difference that seems worthy of discussing is storage in that the Fire can't be expanded. 

I love my Fire. I realize it's limitations, but haven't wanted for anything.

It's pretty seamless in running stuff of the Amazon cloud, so the lack of a SD card port isn't really an issue for me.

Offline Holdin Manutz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 16, 2012, 06:09:09 PM »
Finally got my transformer prime in. Its pretty cool and ice cream sandwich is also pretty nice. Thats all i got

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 16, 2012, 06:43:11 PM »

Nooks are dead soon.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 27, 2012, 12:08:17 PM »
Can any of these things run goEMAW.com chat well?  I am looking for a tablet that I can use to browse the web while relaxing on the couch and watching a little TV.  Reading some e-books, bbsing.  I thought the Fire would be good for this, but I'm worried about the 512mb ram.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:08 PM »
I ordered a Fire last night, will have it tomorrow. (hopefully).

Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 27, 2012, 12:10:08 PM »
for kitten_mittons:

OK, you peckerwads, what do you rough ridin' want to know? It works and stuff...
did not see you in chat (I did not make it till 4th Qtr), did you try it? Better or worse than chatting with Evo if you have tried it?

It sucked in Chat.  I tried it for a bit, but it was hard bouncing in and out of the text writing mode....the flash doesn't keep up that well.  If you were just lurking, it would be fine.

Pure surfing, it works really well.  When you have to type very much at all, it's just as cumbersome as a phone (I have an Evo, and it's no easier to type on than the Evo...in fact, maybe more difficult, because it's bigger).

The "touch" apps and games are fun on the bigger screen (e.g. angry birds, etc.). 

If you download movies to the hard drive, it would be good on road trips.  And, it will be good in hotels with wifi (which is when I'll use it quite a bit).  Or, if you have an event at the in-laws and you know their wifi code  :gocho:

Basically, a lap top is superior in most every way, IMO.  It's just those occasions where you need something easy to travel with.

Obviously if you have kids, they freaking love them too...and the gorilla glass helps ensure that they stand up to the wear and tear...and with the cheaper price point, it's easier to turn over your tablet to a four year old.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 27, 2012, 12:20:34 PM »
Can any of these things run goEMAW.com chat well?  I am looking for a tablet that I can use to browse the web while relaxing on the couch and watching a little TV.  Reading some e-books, bbsing.  I thought the Fire would be good for this, but I'm worried about the 512mb ram.

I've only signed into one chat, and it was on my Fire.

Without anything to compare it to, it worked fine there was no lag or anything. Typing on a physical keyboard is obviously going to be faster, but I just lurk.

I'd say it's perfect for what you are going to use it for.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 27, 2012, 12:39:57 PM »
Thanks Saul, I thought there was stuff about it in here, I just got tired of going back through and reading about SD and FP TC fighting about opposite day.

I'll probably get the fire.  It seems to be about what I want, size wise and functionality wise.  Unfortunate about the suckiness of chat.

I've only signed into one chat, and it was on my Fire.

Without anything to compare it to, it worked fine there was no lag or anything. Typing on a physical keyboard is obviously going to be faster, but I just lurk.

I'd say it's perfect for what you are going to use it for.

Well this sounds nice.  I like this post.