Author Topic: Sean Snyder - CBS Sports  (Read 38196 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sean Snyder - CBS Sports
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2017, 02:17:29 AM »
If we have learned anything, it's that precedent hasn't meant too much this stuff.  That's part of what makes it scary.

Why in your mind is it so easy to come top the conclusion that K-State is getting out of the club but these conferences couldn't possibly trim the fat by keeping K-State while getting rid of pretty obvious dead weight like BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Vandy, Georgia Tech, TCU, and Miami? No precedent right? Wouldn't they want these drags to kick rocks and just keep the most profitable 64 and the schools with the best television ratings?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Sean Snyder - CBS Sports
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2017, 06:00:14 AM »
LOL, no one is going to "trim the fat."  That's ridiculous relative to how simple it will be for a couple teams in the Big 12 to do what is in their best long term interest and leave the conference...thereby leaving the remaining 12 teams out of a viable "power" conference.

"Trimming the fat" out of an existing conference seems like the very least likely thing that could ever happen.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2017, 06:03:17 AM »
I mean, GMAFB at the idea of any power conference kicking out an existing member to bring in Kansas rough ridin' State. LOL

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2017, 06:18:04 AM »
MIR is EMAW to the bitter end, and that's great. But KSU brings nothing to the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2017, 07:20:55 AM »
If we have learned anything, it's that precedent hasn't meant too much this stuff.  That's part of what makes it scary.

Why in your mind is it so easy to come top the conclusion that K-State is getting out of the club but these conferences couldn't possibly trim the fat by keeping K-State while getting rid of pretty obvious dead weight like BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Vandy, Georgia Tech, TCU, and Miami? No precedent right? Wouldn't they want these drags to kick rocks and just keep the most profitable 64 and the schools with the best television ratings?

4 of those schools are in a conference that has a TV deal they just signed that runs thru 2035.
2 of those schools are in conferences that are making money hand-over-fist and serve as acceptable, easy wins for their blue bloods.
1 is in a conference with 2 blue bloods, 1 of which had their UP come out last week and say "I expect changes in 4 or 5 years, we aren't committing to anything because we want to keep our options open to leave.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2017, 10:31:05 AM »
MIR is EMAW to the bitter end, and that's great. But KSU brings nothing to the table.

So you missed the point that in terms of what we bring to the table, we're virtually indistinguishable to the other rank and file in college athletics. In the relative terms of what we're talking about there's two dozen schools tops who "bring something to the table," whatever the hell that means. Not a single one of these schools hold any overwhelming power over their respective conference. The only P5 school that has the potential power to sink a conference is Texas and they have no motivation to go anywhere.

You guys are waiting for college athletics armageddon and the only victim of this is going to be Kansas State, the logic used to come to this conclusion is funny to me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »
LOL, no one is going to "trim the fat."  That's ridiculous relative to how simple it will be for a couple teams in the Big 12 to do what is in their best long term interest and leave the conference...thereby leaving the remaining 12 teams out of a viable "power" conference.

"Trimming the fat" out of an existing conference seems like the very least likely thing that could ever happen.

1. Your math is pretty poor here.
2. Who are the couple of teams leaving to do what's best for their long term interests?
3. You don't want to discuss the fact that a deeply compromised K-State already survived an actual college athletics restructuring in the last 25 years, instead of what may happen in this land of hysteria? I certainly would understand not wanting to discuss it, so no worries :thumbsup:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2017, 10:58:03 AM »
K-State survived the first time because it wasn't our conference folding. If the Big 8 was folding and OU OSU UNL Colorado and whoever needed a home and the SWC was stable it would have been us on the outside not those random Texas schools.

This time it is our conference that people are alleging is going to fold, and if that happens, would a leftovers + best of the MWC and AAC really be considered a "power conference"?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »
That would depend on espn

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »
Still a hard pass on Sean.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2017, 12:41:24 PM »

1. Your math is pretty poor here.
2. Who are the couple of teams leaving to do what's best for their long term interests?
3. You don't want to discuss the fact that a deeply compromised K-State already survived an actual college athletics restructuring in the last 25 years, instead of what may happen in this land of hysteria? I certainly would understand not wanting to discuss it, so no worries :thumbsup:

You got problems, man.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2017, 01:46:41 PM »
K-State survived the first time because it wasn't our conference folding. If the Big 8 was folding and OU OSU UNL Colorado and whoever needed a home and the SWC was stable it would have been us on the outside not those random Texas schools.

This time it is our conference that people are alleging is going to fold, and if that happens, would a leftovers + best of the MWC and AAC really be considered a "power conference"?

This isn't at all accurate. There was a 30 for 30 or something that touched on this but the Big 12 was considered more of a merger and not us taking on SWC teams. The Big 8 had to take Texas and we had to take them on their terms. A pretty good amount of conference rules changed, like how the BOG was formed, in addition to moving the conference office. I have no idea why you mentioned Colorado and Oklahoma State but they had absolutely no juice at all when it came to making decisions back then. Oklahoma also wasn't really a decision maker either either, their brand was heavily damaged by probation, when it actually meant something, and a losing program that didn't sell out its stadium. The Big 8 was in terrible shape and we had to concede a lotto make the Big 12 a reality, it's exactly why Nebraska left the conference 20 years later because they were still pissed, they were the only brand in the Big 8 and they gave up more than everyone else. We survived that because we were deemed to have more value than those Texas schools. If UT and A&M wanted to replace us and KU with Houston and TCU it would have happened.

The comparable between now and then is that Oklahoma alone does not have the power to save or kill this conference, UT does and they don't have any incentive at all to kill this conference. It's a very obvious point that Pete, Paul Finebaum, Clay Travis, and the Mizzou and A&M grads that keep this stupid crap going continue to ignore. UT is making more on that deal than any other school in the country. If UT and ESPN make a deal to buyout LHN before the Big 12 GOR expires then I'll go ahead and hit the panic button as well, but for now I'll stay on this side of logic and rationality.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2017, 02:01:13 PM »
If the other power conferences go to 16, we're in, but the question is why they would? I could see maybe 2 conferences going to 16, but not really four....unless it was agreed upon by all power 5, in which case why not just blow it up and start from scratch, collectively bargain, and swim in money.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2017, 02:14:22 PM »
WHat does all of this jibber jabber have to do with Sean?
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2017, 02:16:37 PM »
I expect Sean to be a little worse than Ron Prince. I think he will end up being the third best coach in program history.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2017, 02:17:48 PM »
I expect Sean to be a little worse than Ron Prince. I think he will end up being the third best coach in program history.
That is a horrifically sad statement when you think about it.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2017, 11:10:15 AM »

The comparable between now and then is that Oklahoma alone does not have the power to save or kill this conference, UT does and they don't have any incentive at all to kill this conference. It's a very obvious point that Pete, Paul Finebaum, Clay Travis, and the Mizzou and A&M grads that keep this stupid crap going continue to ignore. UT is making more on that deal than any other school in the country. If UT and ESPN make a deal to buyout LHN before the Big 12 GOR expires then I'll go ahead and hit the panic button as well, but for now I'll stay on this side of logic and rationality.

This needed to be shown again in bold for some of you slow learners.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2017, 11:41:17 AM »
That is a horrifically sad statement when you think about it.
yeah..  :frown:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2017, 03:04:01 PM »

If OU leaves, yes UT could theoretically hold things together. But this conference would be dogshit and we all know it. We'd survive on borrowed time for however long UT wanted, but the writing would be on the wall.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »

Do you even Pappy Waldorf bruh?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2017, 03:35:31 PM »

If OU leaves, yes UT could theoretically hold things together. But this conference would be dogshit and we all know it. We'd survive on borrowed time for however long UT wanted, but the writing would be on the wall.

OU's value to any conference lies completely on the back of Bob Stoops. Other than a great football program all they have to offer is parts of the OKC, Tulsa, Dallas, and Wichita television markets :party: they have never been the national brand that programs like UT, Alabama, Nebraska, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, and USC are.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2017, 09:01:59 PM »

OU's value to any conference lies completely on the back of Bob Stoops. Other than a great football program all they have to offer is parts of the OKC, Tulsa, Dallas, and Wichita television markets :party: they have never been the national brand that programs like UT, Alabama, Nebraska, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, and USC are.
They're a top 10 program of all time.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2017, 09:05:09 PM »
Yeah, underestimating ou is pretty dumb.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2017, 09:55:34 PM »

Are you guys arguing they are a bigger brand than any of those I mentioned? Certainly not, so what the hell are you arguing? Either you guys need an explanation of the difference between a winning program and what brand power is or we're just having two different conversations.  USC, Penn State, and LSU all have fewer wins all time than OU are you going to argue that OU is a stronger brand than any of these teams? I don't give a crap how good they are, they're not one of the stronger national brands, they're still a big deal but they're essentially Oregon nationally. They were in the top 5 essentially the entire year yet they only played two regular season games that were in the top 5 rated games all year and it was their first two games; the stand alone game against Houston and the national game against Ohio State.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2017, 10:25:07 PM »

Are you guys arguing they are a bigger brand than any of those I mentioned? Certainly not, so what the hell are you arguing? Either you guys need an explanation of the difference between a winning program and what brand power is or we're just having two different conversations.  USC, Penn State, and LSU all have fewer wins all time than OU are you going to argue that OU is a stronger brand than any of these teams? I don't give a crap how good they are, they're not one of the stronger national brands, they're still a big deal but they're essentially Oregon nationally. They were in the top 5 essentially the entire year yet they only played two regular season games that were in the top 5 rated games all year and it was their first two games; the stand alone game against Houston and the national game against Ohio State.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Some OU fans would saying you're making the case of why they should leave the Big12.  They see themselves as a top 10 all time program.  You can call them delusional all you want, but that's what they strive to be.  If you want to be at that level, you have to consistently play other programs at that to draw the national eyes.  In the Big12 they get 2 of those games a year.  Texas and they have to schedule another OOC.  OU was 1 of the top 3 or 4 national programs under Bud Wilkinson.  They won 3 national championships under Barry Switzer.  OU fans that came of age under Switzer don't give a crap about the loser mentality of "easiest path to the playoff".  They want to be the best team in the country.  They want the perception as a top-10 program.  You're right they haven't had highly watched games.  They get an OOC in September & UT in October.  Who in the Big12 is going to provide a national game in November?  But hey, the Big12 gives them an easier path to side into that 3 or 4 seed through November.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls