Date: 19/04/24 - 21:44 PM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: Photography Anyone ?  (Read 7528 times)

March 30, 2010, 09:42:15 AM
Read 7528 times

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains
As some of you know, I am a photographer.  Some of my stuff is good, some very good, some is crap.  What I'd like to do is post some of my photography and encourage you to post some of your stuff. 

ECN is a photographer as well, maybe we can entice him to post some of his work as well.

Constructive critism is welcome and encouraged.

:flashphotog:         :flashphotog:           :flashphotog:           :flashphotog:   
I love the smell of peat in the evening.  That smell, you know that earthy smell...  Smells like...whisky !

Funditus Classless

March 30, 2010, 09:49:35 AM
Reply #1

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains
I'll go ahead and start off with this picture of Lonestar Geyser:

This geyser erupts on close to three hour intervals with one or two minor eruptions in that three hour interval.  Lonestar is a 2.5 mile hike or bike ride on an old service road that is rated easy in the difficulty category.  The cone is between 9 and 12 foot high and the water can shoot up to 40 feet in the air.
I love the smell of peat in the evening.  That smell, you know that earthy smell...  Smells like...whisky !

Funditus Classless

March 30, 2010, 12:20:49 PM
Reply #2

bigshotattorneycat

• Cub

remember when you changed the ku fan's name from geiser to geyser (or vice versa, I can't remember for sure)  :woot:  :cheers:

March 30, 2010, 01:06:58 PM
Reply #3

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains
remember when you changed the ku fan's name from geiser to geyser (or vice versa, I can't remember for sure)  :woot:  :cheers:

:blush:

He started out as geezer and I changed it to geyser...  Actually liked his posting.  Would get his digs in on KSU, but wasn't stupid about it.

Username:
(change) geezer 

Name:  geyser
Position:  Argyle Square

Funditus Classless

March 30, 2010, 08:17:39 PM
Reply #4

Lurker

• Cub

I'll throw a few up.

Full moon at Clark County Lake.

Western Kansas Sunset  (Dodge City)

Lightning

A couple photos I took for the Dodge City Daily Globe at the World of Outlaw races last June

March 30, 2010, 08:30:47 PM
Reply #5

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains
Nice !  I like the lightning pics.  Well, I like all the pics...

Funditus Classless

March 30, 2010, 08:35:47 PM
Reply #6

Lurker

• Cub

Thank you.  I found a couple more that I took with my old 35mm and scanned them.

and sunset at Clark County Lake

March 31, 2010, 07:07:00 AM
Reply #7

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains
Nice scans and pics, Lurker !

Here are a couple more pictures of mine:

I have a biking, hiking, jogging trail near me that runs along Indian Creek in Olathe.  The cardinal was in the tree and I used my Sigma 150-500 mm zoom with doubler, so this is at 1,000 mm and probably f/16 or f/18.  These are slightly cropped and with the slim depth of field and me having to manually focus, you see the cardinal is not quite as sharp as you might hope...

Funditus Classless

March 31, 2010, 09:12:49 AM
Reply #8

pwrcat1

• Cub

Here are a few I took at Medicine Bow Peak, in Wyoming, last summer. 

March 31, 2010, 02:25:01 PM
Reply #9

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains

Nice landscape photos, pwrcat1 !

I'll have to see what I have in that department.  Maybe tomorrow...

Funditus Classless

March 31, 2010, 04:25:58 PM
Reply #10

Brock Landers

• Cub

Nice.  I have some pics of a vacation to Estes Park, CO and surrounding areas from about 10 years ago that I'll try get on here.  One thing I noticed about my pics is they just didn't really seem to show the depth and size of some of the landscapes I was taking pics of.  Like my memory of the picture was something awesome, then when the pics actually came back developed it was disappointing.  The reasons could be my POS camera or maybe I was partly drunk when the pictures were taken and everything seems better when you're drunk??
show the dept
KSU Football:  We're getting the band back together

March 31, 2010, 05:03:31 PM
Reply #11

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains

Nice.  I have some pics of a vacation to Estes Park, CO and surrounding areas from about 10 years ago that I'll try get on here.  One thing I noticed about my pics is they just didn't really seem to show the depth and size of some of the landscapes I was taking pics of.  Like my memory of the picture was something awesome, then when the pics actually came back developed it was disappointing.  The reasons could be my POS camera or maybe I was partly drunk when the pictures were taken and everything seems better when you're drunk??
show the dept

Brock,

Your eyes (drunk or not) are always adjusting both focus and light level, so you get great depth of field and shadow detail compared with what either the film or sensor records.  Taking good landscape pictures is not as easy as you might think.  Here is one for your consideration:

Grand Teton (Wyoming) as seen from the Oxbow Bend Turnout.  Focal Length = 45mm, F/8, 1/500 sec. exposure, ISO = 200.

This shot is un-photoshopped.  The only processing is 'Vivid, Picture Control' and 'Automatic D-Lighting' in the camera.  A little post processing does wonders...

Funditus Classless

April 01, 2010, 12:37:13 PM
Reply #12

Ghost of Stan Parrish

• Cub

• My profile

Grand Teton (Wyoming) as seen from the Oxbow Bend Turnout.  Focal Length = 45mm, F/8, 1/500 sec. exposure, ISO = 200.

This shot is un-photoshopped.  The only processing is 'Vivid, Picture Control' and 'Automatic D-Lighting' in the camera.  A little post processing does wonders...

Nice shot.
每個人一野貓!

April 01, 2010, 01:58:46 PM
Reply #13

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains

Nice shot.

Thanks !

Here is Crazy Horse in 2006.  We were dodging storms that morning and it added to the drama of this shot:

Funditus Classless

April 01, 2010, 02:00:22 PM
Reply #14

bigshotattorneycat

• Cub

cyclist, how much does your rig cost?

April 01, 2010, 02:14:49 PM
Reply #15

olde fella

• Cub

Is it ok if I post some risque pictures of me and my ole lady. some people are in to the geriatric thing you know! :cyclist: :fatty:

April 01, 2010, 02:37:08 PM
Reply #16

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains
cyclist, how much does your rig cost?

I have over $ 8,000 in my camera, lenses, etc.

Nikon D700 FX Camera
Nikkor 24-85 f/2.8-4 zoom
Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-6 zoom
Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX zoom
Sigma 150-500 f/5-6.4 zoom with 1.4X and 2X convertors
Sigma 24mm f/1.8
Nikkor 35mm f/2
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8

I didn't buy it all at once ! 

I started out digital with a Nikon D70 DX camera w/18-70 zoom.  I added the Sigma 24mm, Nikkor 12-24 and Nikkor 70-300 zooms.

Then I bought the D700 with the 24-85 zoom, 35mm and 50mm lenses.  I added the 85mm later and most recently the Sigma 150-500 zoom.

Oh and I still have the Nikon D70 and a whole bunch of Minolta manual focus cameras and lenses...

Funditus Classless

April 01, 2010, 02:38:05 PM
Reply #17

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains
Is it ok if I post some risque pictures of me and my ole lady. some people are in to the geriatric thing you know! :cyclist: :fatty:

That would be classless...   :rolleyes: 

Funditus Classless

April 01, 2010, 02:38:37 PM
Reply #18

bigshotattorneycat

• Cub

:frown:  Guess I'll stick with message boarding as a hobby

April 01, 2010, 02:51:10 PM
Reply #19

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains

:frown:  Guess I'll stick with message boarding as a hobby

You can get a Nikon D5000 with kit lens for $ 750 from Adorama:

Nikon D5000 DX-Format 12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18mm - 55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX (VR) Lens

That will get you started.  You can add lenses later.  Lenses are the big hitters, but you can change cameras with in the Nikon system and the lenses still work.

I'm sure some Canon folks can help on that system.  Really you can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon on DSLR's. 

So as not to offend users of Pentax, Olympus or Sony, these are good systems, I just don't have the knowledge...

Funditus Classless

April 01, 2010, 03:16:11 PM
Reply #20

olde fella

• Cub

:peek:

Fine no scantily clad pics then Top of the World :love:

Catalina Island and LA

Aerial of the grand canyon

April 01, 2010, 03:34:25 PM
Reply #21

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains
Here is a flower picture from the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh, PA:

Funditus Classless

April 02, 2010, 12:35:42 PM
Reply #22

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains
Ferns at Phipps Conservatory:

Funditus Classless

April 03, 2010, 07:02:50 PM
Reply #23

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains

George Hincapie at the Tour of Missouri.  This shot was taken prior to the individual time trial at the state fairgrounds at Sedalia.

Funditus Classless

April 03, 2010, 07:28:08 PM
Reply #24

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains

0.5 liter of original Hofbrauhaus beer.  Taken at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, Germany...

Funditus Classless

April 04, 2010, 02:24:12 PM
Reply #25

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains

A view of the Firehole River looking downstream from the trail bridge between Castle Geyser and Grand Geyser in the Upper Geyser Basin, Yellowstone National Park.

Funditus Classless

April 05, 2010, 08:03:02 AM
Reply #26

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains

Niagara Falls !   The Horseshoe or Canadian Falls as viewed from our hotel room...

Funditus Classless

April 05, 2010, 01:23:12 PM
Reply #27

ECN

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

here are a few ive taken without my prime lens, and just messin' around.

We all know there's been a conspiracy. Only the failures have been recorded.
We all pay too much attention to Icarus, and not enough to his father.

April 05, 2010, 02:16:37 PM
Reply #28

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains

Funditus Classless

April 05, 2010, 02:58:32 PM
Reply #29

ECN

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

thanks. i enjoyed yours and lurkers stuff as well. your bird pic is nice.
We all know there's been a conspiracy. Only the failures have been recorded.
We all pay too much attention to Icarus, and not enough to his father.