Date: 27/04/24 - 14:12 PM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: Frank's extension  (Read 25376 times)

January 20, 2010, 12:11:01 PM
Reply #210

Iceberg

• Cub

• Personal Text
    DOD Take Two
Yet, he waited for a plane to go to Manhattan. Should have used roadrunner.

Face it, while the weefer tore down KSU athletics, we will never have another supporter like the weefer... at least not while PresKS is around.

Some student senators drafted a resolution last night to encourage the administration to give an extension/raise to Frank Martin.

It will provide interest. This will provide more encouragement to PresKS*

*who btw, didn't make it until the very end to the game

Plane got delayed, his flight didnt get into KC until 6:30
  <======= 125 Days of Dominance

"I laughed at the guy who had the Auburn logo upside down in his sig. I guess he thinks we are Texas." - AUslug, August 7th

January 20, 2010, 12:16:31 PM
Reply #211

Ghost of Stan Parrish

• Cub

• My profile
Two observations:

1:  Assuming the negotiation info came from Frank's camp, which should be a safe assumption, then he's pretty much clowned Currie in this round, which leads to...

2:  Assuming the lowballing info is correct, then what the hell was Currie thinking?  Horrible idea for two reasons:  you basically insult a guy who, all other things being equal, has some loyalty to you institution, *and* you provide a powderkeg to the other side in the negotiations.  A powderkeg that Frank's camp has taken full advantage of to the extent that you've had the two major KC sports media players weigh in on Frank's side--and one even gave out Currie's e-mail on air to lobby for Frank's raise--and now you've got national folks in on the story.

Depends what "lowball" is.  Neither side will obviously say what the offer is on the table in the middle of negotiations.  Maybe it's already $1.1.  Maybe it's $1.2.  It obviously helps Frank's agent to cry about the offer after this game, no matter what it is.  I doubt Frank has some rube working for him who only has KSU's best interests at heart.  And he knows Currie can't come out and defend himself at all at this stage.

I don't remember anyone demanding Frank be paid $1.5 after the Fort Hays State game, so the timing of this all seems rather like cynical agent posturing to me...

OTOH, I support it if it increases donations.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:19:44 PM by Ghost of Stan Parrish »
每個人一野貓!

January 20, 2010, 12:20:01 PM
Reply #212

Rick Daris

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

Yet, he waited for a plane to go to Manhattan. Should have used roadrunner.

Face it, while the weefer tore down KSU athletics, we will never have another supporter like the weefer... at least not while PresKS is around.

Some student senators drafted a resolution last night to encourage the administration to give an extension/raise to Frank Martin.

It will provide interest. This will provide more encouragement to PresKS*

*who btw, didn't make it until the very end to the game

Plane got delayed, his flight didnt get into KC until 6:30

i'd rather have a president that "gets it" and stays more out of the way than a persident who "gets it" and interferes at every oppy. could care less if shulz goes to a single game. ever.

January 20, 2010, 12:20:50 PM
Reply #213

Del Tremens

• Cub

• Personal Text
    Wait...what?
Two observations:

1:  Assuming the negotiation info came from Frank's camp, which should be a safe assumption, then he's pretty much clowned Currie in this round, which leads to...

2:  Assuming the lowballing info is correct, then what the hell was Currie thinking?  Horrible idea for two reasons:  you basically insult a guy who, all other things being equal, has some loyalty to you institution, *and* you provide a powderkeg to the other side in the negotiations.  A powderkeg that Frank's camp has taken full advantage of to the extent that you've had the two major KC sports media players weigh in on Frank's side--and one even gave out Currie's e-mail on air to lobby for Frank's raise--and now you've got national folks in on the story.

Depends what "lowball" is.  Neither side will obviously say what the offer is on the table in the middle of negotiations.  Maybe it's already $1.1.  Maybe it's $1.2.  It obviously helps Frank's agent to cry about the offer after this game, no matter what it is.  I doubt Frank has some rube working for him who only has KSU's best interests at heart.  And he knows Currie can't come out and defend himself at all at this stage.

I don't remember anyone demanding Frank be paid $1.5 after the Fort Hays State game, so the timing of this all seems rather like cynical agent posturing to me...

Yep.  That's why I put "assuming."

January 20, 2010, 12:23:01 PM
Reply #214

Rick Daris

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

Two observations:

only retards were complaining after the fhsu game and i don't even see people demanding 1.5 in this thread which has to be the biggest "pay frank more" discussion around. also, it's widely circulated that the current offer is still less than 1.0.

January 20, 2010, 12:23:48 PM
Reply #215

ksu_FAN

• Second String Wildcat

Two observations:

According to Kietz, lowball was a $100K raise for Frank.  But as I said before, who knows who this info got communicated to Kietz and then how Kietz communicated it on his show.

Whatever the case, I think there is probably something to it, and I don't necessarily think its a bad thing to get out there to mobilize the fanbase.

January 20, 2010, 12:24:09 PM
Reply #216

sys

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    gmafb
Two observations:

[/quote

martin is dominating currie.
"these are no longer “games” in the commonly accepted sense of the term. these are free throw shooting contests leavened by the occasional sprint to the other end of the floor."

January 20, 2010, 12:24:39 PM
Reply #217

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
    You can't be racist and like basketball.
Two observations:

I think the key is the timing of the "lowball".  A lowball offer should not have been insulting before the season began.

January 20, 2010, 12:30:29 PM
Reply #218

Rick Daris

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

Two observations:

I think the key is the timing of the "lowball".  A lowball offer should not have been insulting before the season began.

it would have been to me. either make a legit offer or don't. it's insulting to lowball period, regardless of the timing.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:33:44 PM by Rick Daris »

January 20, 2010, 12:31:24 PM
Reply #219

pissclams

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    (worst non-premium poster at ksufans.com)
Two observations:

1:  Assuming the negotiation info came from Frank's camp, which should be a safe assumption, then he's pretty much clowned Currie in this round, which leads to...

2:  Assuming the lowballing info is correct, then what the hell was Currie thinking?  Horrible idea for two reasons:  you basically insult a guy who, all other things being equal, has some loyalty to you institution, *and* you provide a powderkeg to the other side in the negotiations.  A powderkeg that Frank's camp has taken full advantage of to the extent that you've had the two major KC sports media players weigh in on Frank's side--and one even gave out Currie's e-mail on air to lobby for Frank's raise--and now you've got national folks in on the story.

I think the key is the timing of the "lowball".  A lowball offer should not have been insulting before the season began.
finally a voice of reason.

haven't any of you turds seen Jerry McGuire?  Arizona was lowballing #83 Rod Tidwell all the way until they had to give him what he wanted.  negotiations work this way, frank isn't going to bolt b/c he was offended by a lowball offer that took place 10 months previous.  when the rubber hits the road, Currie needs to step up and deliver, now really isn't that time.  if he doesn't, and Frank senses that he won't get what he "deserves", then he'll get pissed and look elsewhere, but again, now isn't that time.

imho, #83 Rod Tidwell got paid and so will Frank and his posse.   :hope:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

January 20, 2010, 12:32:05 PM
Reply #220

catzacker

• Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Fear the Brick
Two observations:

1:  Assuming the negotiation info came from Frank's camp, which should be a safe assumption, then he's pretty much clowned Currie in this round, which leads to...

2:  Assuming the lowballing info is correct, then what the hell was Currie thinking?  Horrible idea for two reasons:  you basically insult a guy who, all other things being equal, has some loyalty to you institution, *and* you provide a powderkeg to the other side in the negotiations.  A powderkeg that Frank's camp has taken full advantage of to the extent that you've had the two major KC sports media players weigh in on Frank's side--and one even gave out Currie's e-mail on air to lobby for Frank's raise--and now you've got national folks in on the story.

I would agree with this.  And if Currie tried to do it in, let's say, august or something then that wouldn't have been a tactically bad thing, especially considering that's about when we gave 2 non-for-profit head coaches raises and about the time we gave grandpa a raise.  Now, though, he better know that Frank and his staff have to get paid.  Like 1.2m for frank and 250-300k split out over the assistants and staff.  I mean, Mean Green needs a raise too.

January 20, 2010, 12:34:11 PM
Reply #221

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
Two observations:

I think the key is the timing of the "lowball".  A lowball offer should not have been insulting before the season began.

it would have been to me. either make a legit offer or don't. insulting to lowball period, regardless of the timing.

I'm saying a modest raise before the season started was a legit offer at that point in time.  J-Mart is conveniently leaving out timing details in all of his posts.

'clams nailed it w/ his jerry macguire anecdote.  Great lesson (and film).

January 20, 2010, 12:38:30 PM
Reply #222

ksu_FAN

• Second String Wildcat

when the rubber hits the road, Currie needs to step up and deliver, now really isn't that time.  if he doesn't, and Frank senses that he won't get what he "deserves", then he'll get pissed and look elsewhere, but again, now isn't that time.

This is why I see this as a positive, just in case Currie didn't exaclty realize how much the fanbase is behind Martin, he should have a very good idea now.

That said, the over-reactionary K-State fanbase has been a little pathetic, not to say that ths reaction surprises me.  Its not like Frank is going to finish out the season coaching in the Big East.

Now that the fnas have had our little uprising and our "voices are heard", let Frank and his lawyer and Currie get back to work on getting this thing done.

January 20, 2010, 12:44:10 PM
Reply #223

Rick Daris

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

Two observations:

it would have been to me. either make a legit offer or don't. insulting to lowball period, regardless of the timing.

I'm saying a modest raise before the season started was a legit offer at that point in time.  J-Mart is conveniently leaving out timing details in all of his posts.

everybody is different though and if i was in franks shoes and some new guy on the scene comes in and purposefully low balls me before the season starts, it would offend me. maybe not you, maybe not frank, but it would me.

January 20, 2010, 12:45:14 PM
Reply #224

catzacker

• Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Fear the Brick
I'll go ahead and disagree with now not being the time if that precludes in season negotiations with a deal before the season is done.  Why the hell wait if you actually believe in Frank Martin and you feel you can come to an agreement.  You wanna wait until March when jobs start to come open and Frank doesn't have  deal and the Arkansas job is open?  

January 20, 2010, 12:46:51 PM
Reply #225

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
everybody is different though and if i was in franks shoes and some new guy on the scene comes in and purposefully low balls me before the season starts, it would offend me. maybe not you, maybe not frank, but it would me.

I'm saying it wouldn't have been a lowball then.  Hence the quotes.  What is considered a lowball now would not necessarily be a lowball back then.

January 20, 2010, 12:47:40 PM
Reply #226

Rick Daris

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

That said, the over-reactionary K-State fanbase has been a little pathetic, not to say that ths reaction surprises me.  Its not like Frank is going to finish out the season coaching in the Big East.

Now that the fnas have had our little uprising and our "voices are heard", let Frank and his lawyer and Currie get back to work on getting this thing done.

good point _fan. this style of waiting until the season ends to take care of our coaches worked wonders w/ huggins. everybody just sit back and relax. let the lawyers take care of it all. i mean sheesh, we're kstate. we should just be happy to even have a basketball team.

January 20, 2010, 12:51:26 PM
Reply #227

cireksu

• Classless Cat
  • Cub

who gets a 100k raise on a contract extension after having success?

"good job coach, we'll pay you a little more than bz, doc, and 'derms you've earned it"

January 20, 2010, 12:57:40 PM
Reply #228

ksu_FAN

• Second String Wildcat

good point _fan. this style of waiting until the season ends to take care of our coaches worked wonders w/ huggins. everybody just sit back and relax. let the lawyers take care of it all. i mean sheesh, we're kstate. we should just be happy to even have a basketball team.

I'm not advocating wating at all.  Get back to work to me means pressing forward and trying to get this thing done before the end of this season.  I agree it would be a mistake to wait.

January 20, 2010, 12:59:17 PM
Reply #229

Rick Daris

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

who gets a 100k raise on a contract extension after having success?

"good job coach, we'll pay you a little more than bz, doc, and 'derms you've earned it"

ex freaking actly. how can people not agree that they lowballed frank regardless of when the offer was? i mean, frank and co didn't accept it, right? the offer was so low that they couldn't even come to an agreement, right?

if you're not going to make an offer or enter into negotiations in a way that has a chance to be successful then just don't do it. you come off looking unprofessional or run into the risk of offending the person that you're trying to negotiate with. just don't do it. but hey, frank sure doesn't seem like the kind of person that would be offended by this or take it personally, so no big deal.

January 20, 2010, 01:02:45 PM
Reply #230

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment
This whole thing has gotten pretty awesome imo  8-)
<---------Click the ball

January 20, 2010, 01:08:24 PM
Reply #231

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
if you're not going to make an offer or enter into negotiations in a way that has a chance to be successful then just don't do it. you come off looking unprofessional or run into the risk of offending the person that you're trying to negotiate with. just don't do it. but hey, frank sure doesn't seem like the kind of person that would be offended by this or take it personally, so no big deal.

Again, it had a chance to be successful.  timing.  If Frank accepts 5 years/$900k in September, you don't think he's getting a raise at the end of the season (or not sooner)?  Silly.

January 20, 2010, 01:10:44 PM
Reply #232

ksu_FAN

• Second String Wildcat

Again, it had a chance to be successful.  timing.  If Frank accepts 5 years/$900k in September, you don't think he's getting a raise at the end of the season (or not sooner)?  Silly.

Yeah, agreed.  Paying him 900K in September would've been market value at the time.  Now the market value has exceeded that.  And no doubt with what he's done, we could've easily raised the bar again after this season.

January 20, 2010, 01:12:42 PM
Reply #233

Del Tremens

• Cub

• Personal Text
    Wait...what?
Two observations:

Yeah, my post assumed the lowball details were as has been implied by the media folk:  ~$100,000 offered pretty recently.

Check this out.  If ~$100,000 had been offered before the season, this would have been the situation:  according to the info posted earlier this thread, that would have put Martin's salary somewhere around Pat Knight's, at 7th in the league.  Martin was coming off a NIT 2nd round appearance, with a 2nd round NCAA appearance the year before with 2 NBA players.  Here are the accomplishments of the coaches who would have been making more than Martin at that point:

Self -- National Championship
Barnes -- Final Four
Anderson -- Elite Eight
Ford -- 2nd round NCAA (but Boone Pickens $$)
Turgeon -- Sweet 16 at WSU, 2 NCAA 2nd round at aTm.
Caple -- Elite Eight.

Hmmm.

January 20, 2010, 01:14:37 PM
Reply #234

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
Two observations:

Yeah, my post assumed the lowball details were as has been implied by the media folk:  ~$100,000 offered pretty recently.

Check this out.  If ~$100,000 had been offered before the season, this would have been the situation:  according to the info posted earlier this thread, that would have put Martin's salary somewhere around Pat Knight's, at 7th in the league.  Martin was coming off a NIT 2nd round appearance, with a 2nd round NCAA appearance the year before with 2 NBA players.  Here are the accomplishments of the coaches who would have been making more than Martin at that point:

Barnes -- Final Four
Anderson -- Elite Eight
Caple -- Elite Eight.

Hmmm.

that looks about right to me, preseason.  :dunno:

I think the timing of the offer is intentionally vague.  I'd also be curious what Frank's counter-offer was (if one was extended).  Hmmm.

January 20, 2010, 01:18:57 PM
Reply #235

Rick Daris

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

Yeah, agreed.  Paying him 900K in September would've been market value at the time.  Now the market value has exceeded that.  And no doubt with what he's done, we could've easily raised the bar again after this season.

question for michigancat, _fan, clams, etc....

if martin was offered a hundred thousand more than he was currently making before the season and it wasn't a lowball offer and he could've easily just got another raise again "at the end of the season (or not sooner)." then why didn't he take it? why didn't frank and co agree to the new contract before the season? i mean, he didn't get lowballed. the offer was fair. he easily could've got more money "at the end of the season (or not sooner)." why didn't he/they take it?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:22:05 PM by Rick Daris »

January 20, 2010, 01:19:27 PM
Reply #236

Del Tremens

• Cub

• Personal Text
    Wait...what?
Two observations:

Yeah, my post assumed the lowball details were as has been implied by the media folk:  ~$100,000 offered pretty recently.

Check this out.  If ~$100,000 had been offered before the season, this would have been the situation:  according to the info posted earlier this thread, that would have put Martin's salary somewhere around Pat Knight's, at 7th in the league.  Martin was coming off a NIT 2nd round appearance, with a 2nd round NCAA appearance the year before with 2 NBA players.  Here are the accomplishments of the coaches who would have been making more than Martin at that point:

Barnes -- Final Four
Anderson -- Elite Eight
Caple -- Elite Eight.

Hmmm.

that looks about right to me, preseason.  :dunno:

I think the timing of the offer is intentionally vague.  I'd also be curious what Frank's counter-offer was (if one was extended).  Hmmm.

Agreed.

January 20, 2010, 01:23:39 PM
Reply #237

ksu_FAN

• Second String Wildcat

if martin was offered a hundred thousand more than he was currently making before the season and it wasn't a lowball offer and he could've easily just got another raise again "at the end of the season (or not sooner)." then why didn't he take it? why didn't frank and co agree to the new contract before the season? i mean, he didn't get lowballed. the offer was fair. he easily could've got more money "at the end of the season (or not sooner). why didn't he/they take it?

I don't have an answer.  This is really why this discussion becomes futile at some point and why Kietz/J-Mart/source has been masterful here.  We simply have limited information and can only make assumptions.  I for one am not really assuming the offer was made before the season, I'm just reacting to if it was made then.  I would guess that the offer came after the season started, but before the UT win.  But that is a broad time period. 

January 20, 2010, 01:27:55 PM
Reply #238

catzacker

• Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Fear the Brick

if martin was offered a hundred thousand more than he was currently making before the season and it wasn't a lowball offer and he could've easily just got another raise again "at the end of the season (or not sooner)." then why didn't he take it? why didn't frank and co agree to the new contract before the season? i mean, he didn't get lowballed. the offer was fair. he easily could've got more money "at the end of the season (or not sooner)." why didn't he/they take it?

I guess my reaction would be that in august, if I had heard that currie wanted to give frank a raise to 900K and extend, I prolly would have been like "I'd have thought he would have gone a touch higher, like 950K or maybe 1million".  So, to me, that's not necessary an eggrecious (sp) or offensive offer.  Lower than maybe frank wanted at that time? Yes, but not so grossly offensive that frank seems slighted (though maybe he did anyway).  900K even a day before the Texas game is a slap in the face to Martin.   900K after the Texas game is practically raping his wife.

January 20, 2010, 01:41:44 PM
Reply #239

ClayKat

• Cub

My powertardy suggestion/email and his response in reverse chronological order.

KITN,

Thanks for your note and offer of support. I am contacting Chad Weiberg to his staff can follow upw with regarding the Ahearn Fund. We do indeed offer the opportunity to make monthy automatic donations in increments.

The strength of K-State is broad based support and we appreciate each and every donor.

gain- thanks for your note and Go Cats!

John

To: John Currie
Sent: Tue Jan 19 13:52:41 2010
Subject: Fund Raising

Hello Mr. Currie,

My name is KITNfury and am a fairly recent graduate of KSU. I know that there has been some attention given to Frank Martin’s contract from our fan base, which may actually keep you from receiving this email. But if you have the time, I’d appreciate it if you could keep reading.

Instead of me demanding that you give Frank a raise (although I do hope something can be worked out for one of the top coaches in the conference), I’m writing you this instead as a suggestion to help raise the monies needed for this and other athletic endeavors for KSU. Regardless of a person’s pay scale, writing a single check per year for the amount that can be afforded brings apprehension to the donor. Look no further than no interest financing offered by a multitude of businesses from Home Depot to Nebraska Furniture Mart. They know that people could probably just buy that couch or window, but it sure makes them feel better about to pay in “low monthly installments”. This brings me to my suggestion….

Assume you think Frank Martin is worth $1.3M/year. That’s a lot of scratch to ask from large donors that are already donating. It’s also a ton of cash to ask from people that can’t write huge checks. Why not start a system of automatic payments from alumni bank accounts for a small amount? If you could get even half the crowd from a football game to donate a measly $5/month, you’ve got yourself an extra $1.5M/year. Who can’t afford $5 to $10 per month?

Once a person signs up, they’ll be much less likely to cancel because it’s easy, out of site out of mind, and makes no difference in their day to day lifestyle. Now, most wouldn’t consider a $60 or $120 check to break them, but $120 is enough to take a small family out to dinner and a movie. At that point, you have a man or woman considering what they are sacrificing in order to support KSU. That is not what you want. Just a thought.

That is a really good idea, actually.
Not that it matters, but just FYI, I sent that idea to Currie when he launched the whole suggestion box idea soon after he got to KSU.  Only problem is that I referenced the Obama campaign and how they raised small donations and encouraged the $5/month automatic drafts so that people didn't really see what they were donating.  I forgot he was a southerner and as soon as he saw Obama in the note, I'm reasonably sure it got deleted.