Date: 28/04/24 - 10:35 AM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: Frank's extension  (Read 25381 times)

January 20, 2010, 08:40:45 AM
Reply #180

Iceberg

• Cub

• Personal Text
    DOD Take Two
Some student senators drafted a resolution last night to encourage the administration to give an extension/raise to Frank Martin.

It will provide interest. This will provide more encouragement to PresKS*

*who btw, didn't make it until the very end to the game
  <======= 125 Days of Dominance

"I laughed at the guy who had the Auburn logo upside down in his sig. I guess he thinks we are Texas." - AUslug, August 7th

January 20, 2010, 08:45:18 AM
Reply #181

Jeffrey_Martin

• Senior Cub

i really don't think anything is going to get done before the end of the season.  if i'm frank, i have no reason to negotiate anything at this point.  every game that goes by increases his value in the market.

having said that, frank has always been one to look out for his assistants.  how much is it going to take to retain them, including greenawalt, and make everyone happy?  we still need 'Te400k if he's willing to stick around a couple more seasons although has martin done enough to solidify himself w/ DCA on his own?

This is very, very accurate. Smart guy.

January 20, 2010, 08:46:23 AM
Reply #182

catzacker

• Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Fear the Brick
Maybe this is a bit  'tardish, but I do believe Martin is loyal.  I do think he's similar to Huggins (who apparently turned down more money/better jobs because he felt like he was appreciated at Cincy, not necessarily absurdly paid, but appreciated).  So what pisses me off is how, as an AD, you don't recognize that and pay him a worthy salary....to start with.  Because if it's true that Currie lowballed his ass (and save me the "that's how negotiations work bullsh*t, that's not what a good negotiator does).  1.2m is not unreasonable and I would think that it would tell frank that he's appreciated.  And if as the AD you're concerned about the short term, then stagger or back load the contract to put a larger salary on year 3 of the new deal/extension to make up for the first two years.

January 20, 2010, 09:02:58 AM
Reply #183

KITNfury

• Cub

Another option is to give a decent guaranteed salary of ~$1M, but make the incentives much higher than average. So if he gets to the elite 8, he ends up with $1.5M instead of giving him $1.2 with a 100K bonus for the elite 8. Up to $2M for a NC (or even more). Make the ceiling higher, but the base lower. That way, the year(s) he does well, he gets well compensated and the AD gets nice donations. On years he doesn't, the donations will fall a bit, but not hurt the AD.

January 20, 2010, 09:11:46 AM
Reply #184

kcchiefdav

• Cub

• Personal Text
    I think therefore I think I'm hungry
Just like everyone, he'd rather have guaranteed money...except for Ricky Williams.

January 20, 2010, 09:12:37 AM
Reply #185

Ben Ji 2.0

• Cub

Some student senators drafted a resolution last night to encourage the administration to give an extension/raise to Frank Martin.

It will provide interest. This will provide more encouragement to PresKS*

*who btw, didn't make it until the very end to the game

Plane got delayed, his flight didnt get into KC until 6:30

I think my grandpa killed somebody once, but he never liked to talk about Kent State.

January 20, 2010, 09:14:55 AM
Reply #186

KITNfury

• Cub

Just like everyone, he'd rather have guaranteed money...except for Ricky Williams.
Well sure, but that would still be a quarter million raise (could be more even), but also show that we're not afraid to pay. It gives him a respectable salary, even if not super high, but gives him the opportunity to make substantially more. I'm sure it would insult him less than the $850K or whatever that he got offered.

January 20, 2010, 09:19:53 AM
Reply #187

catzacker

• Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Fear the Brick
I wonder where frank will go.  Arkansas will probably make a run at Anderson, but I'd think that they'd then look at Frank if/when Anderson says no.

January 20, 2010, 09:20:37 AM
Reply #188

KITNfury

• Cub

My powertardy suggestion/email and his response in reverse chronological order.

KITN,

Thanks for your note and offer of support. I am contacting Chad Weiberg to his staff can follow upw with regarding the Ahearn Fund. We do indeed offer the opportunity to make monthy automatic donations in increments.

The strength of K-State is broad based support and we appreciate each and every donor.

gain- thanks for your note and Go Cats!

John

To: John Currie
Sent: Tue Jan 19 13:52:41 2010
Subject: Fund Raising

Hello Mr. Currie,

My name is KITNfury and am a fairly recent graduate of KSU. I know that there has been some attention given to Frank Martin’s contract from our fan base, which may actually keep you from receiving this email. But if you have the time, I’d appreciate it if you could keep reading.

Instead of me demanding that you give Frank a raise (although I do hope something can be worked out for one of the top coaches in the conference), I’m writing you this instead as a suggestion to help raise the monies needed for this and other athletic endeavors for KSU. Regardless of a person’s pay scale, writing a single check per year for the amount that can be afforded brings apprehension to the donor. Look no further than no interest financing offered by a multitude of businesses from Home Depot to Nebraska Furniture Mart. They know that people could probably just buy that couch or window, but it sure makes them feel better about to pay in “low monthly installments”. This brings me to my suggestion….

Assume you think Frank Martin is worth $1.3M/year. That’s a lot of scratch to ask from large donors that are already donating. It’s also a ton of cash to ask from people that can’t write huge checks. Why not start a system of automatic payments from alumni bank accounts for a small amount? If you could get even half the crowd from a football game to donate a measly $5/month, you’ve got yourself an extra $1.5M/year. Who can’t afford $5 to $10 per month?

Once a person signs up, they’ll be much less likely to cancel because it’s easy, out of site out of mind, and makes no difference in their day to day lifestyle. Now, most wouldn’t consider a $60 or $120 check to break them, but $120 is enough to take a small family out to dinner and a movie. At that point, you have a man or woman considering what they are sacrificing in order to support KSU. That is not what you want. Just a thought.

January 20, 2010, 09:32:22 AM
Reply #189

Andy

• Cub

• Personal Text
    KSU '06 Alum
Another option is to give a decent guaranteed salary of ~$1M, but make the incentives much higher than average. So if he gets to the elite 8, he ends up with $1.5M instead of giving him $1.2 with a 100K bonus for the elite 8. Up to $2M for a NC (or even more). Make the ceiling higher, but the base lower. That way, the year(s) he does well, he gets well compensated and the AD gets nice donations. On years he doesn't, the donations will fall a bit, but not hurt the AD.

these type of things make far too much sense for any level of sports these days

January 20, 2010, 09:34:22 AM
Reply #190

Andy

• Cub

• Personal Text
    KSU '06 Alum
an aside to all of this, this story really has national attention now with what decourcey was saying this morning and it all originated here.  its too bad ksufans.com (and Jmart)didn't get attached to any of it. 

January 20, 2010, 09:52:22 AM
Reply #191

pissclams

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    (worst non-premium poster at ksufans.com)
an aside to all of this, this story really has national attention now with what decourcey was saying this morning and it all originated here.  its too bad ksufans.com (and Jmart)didn't get attached to any of it. 
this could either be really good, or really bad.  i'm thinking really bad.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

January 20, 2010, 09:56:57 AM
Reply #192

cKat

• Cub

Shoud set up a bunch of these-

Text FRANK to 90999 to send $10 to Frank
Text TAPE to 90999 to send $10 towards a new Jock Jams tape
Text ZZZZ to send 10 pesos to mj to keep his site up

January 20, 2010, 09:58:51 AM
Reply #193

Kat Kid

• Administrator
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    warm up the EMAW

Why should ksufans.com get attached to it?  TP and Mj's lazy asses didn't do any reporting.  J-mart just randomly graced us with his presence and dropped a dime on us.  How that relates at all to the morons running this crash dummy bbs is hard to figure.
ksufanscopycat my friends.

January 20, 2010, 09:59:29 AM
Reply #194

sys

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    gmafb
His 2008 class was a LOL clusterf*ck, and the DC Assault ties (where he got everyone in his "good" class that was good) were shaky before last season was over.  No program in their right mind would have tried to steal him away, and he deserved the 900k offer he got at that point.  He deserves almost double that now.

they'd recruited clemente, samuels, and kelly, post huggins and pre 2009 class.  with pullen and sutton, those players are the core of a top 10 team.

and you're right, he "deserved" 900k after last year.  which is why it would have been really smart to lock him up long-term at 1 mill with stepped yearly raises.
"these are no longer “games” in the commonly accepted sense of the term. these are free throw shooting contests leavened by the occasional sprint to the other end of the floor."

January 20, 2010, 10:02:47 AM
Reply #195

cireksu

• Classless Cat
  • Cub

i really don't think anything is going to get done before the end of the season.  if i'm frank, i have no reason to negotiate anything at this point.  every game that goes by increases his value in the market.

having said that, frank has always been one to look out for his assistants.  how much is it going to take to retain them, including greenawalt, and make everyone happy?  we still need 'Te400k if he's willing to stick around a couple more seasons although has martin done enough to solidify himself w/ DCA on his own?

Umm there is a big diff in inking someone at the end of the year and lowballing the coach that's given you the most success in the last 20 years that has no reason to not be completely offended when your lame duck worthless football coach is making some serious jack

January 20, 2010, 10:14:38 AM
Reply #196

Rick Daris

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

i heard decourcey on my way into work and was kind of upset that he didn't reference this site specifically, so i emailed him about it. just got his response.

rick,

I appreciate and understand your concern. If you remember, I was one of the few people in the media who was completely behind the Frank Martin hire from the beginning. As to the question on why i did not reference KsuFans.com when talking to Nate and Steven this morning, i will simply say that i tried to access that website throughout the day and evening yesterday but was unable to. Thanks again for your input and for listening to me this morning on The Boarder Patrol.

-Mike D

January 20, 2010, 10:18:56 AM
Reply #197

Jmo

• Cub

My powertardy suggestion/email and his response in reverse chronological order.

KITN,

Thanks for your note and offer of support. I am contacting Chad Weiberg to his staff can follow upw with regarding the Ahearn Fund. We do indeed offer the opportunity to make monthy automatic donations in increments.

The strength of K-State is broad based support and we appreciate each and every donor.

gain- thanks for your note and Go Cats!

John

To: John Currie
Sent: Tue Jan 19 13:52:41 2010
Subject: Fund Raising

Hello Mr. Currie,

My name is KITNfury and am a fairly recent graduate of KSU. I know that there has been some attention given to Frank Martin’s contract from our fan base, which may actually keep you from receiving this email. But if you have the time, I’d appreciate it if you could keep reading.

Instead of me demanding that you give Frank a raise (although I do hope something can be worked out for one of the top coaches in the conference), I’m writing you this instead as a suggestion to help raise the monies needed for this and other athletic endeavors for KSU. Regardless of a person’s pay scale, writing a single check per year for the amount that can be afforded brings apprehension to the donor. Look no further than no interest financing offered by a multitude of businesses from Home Depot to Nebraska Furniture Mart. They know that people could probably just buy that couch or window, but it sure makes them feel better about to pay in “low monthly installments”. This brings me to my suggestion….

Assume you think Frank Martin is worth $1.3M/year. That’s a lot of scratch to ask from large donors that are already donating. It’s also a ton of cash to ask from people that can’t write huge checks. Why not start a system of automatic payments from alumni bank accounts for a small amount? If you could get even half the crowd from a football game to donate a measly $5/month, you’ve got yourself an extra $1.5M/year. Who can’t afford $5 to $10 per month?

Once a person signs up, they’ll be much less likely to cancel because it’s easy, out of site out of mind, and makes no difference in their day to day lifestyle. Now, most wouldn’t consider a $60 or $120 check to break them, but $120 is enough to take a small family out to dinner and a movie. At that point, you have a man or woman considering what they are sacrificing in order to support KSU. That is not what you want. Just a thought.

That is a really good idea, actually.

January 20, 2010, 10:21:44 AM
Reply #198

catzacker

• Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Fear the Brick

Umm there is a big diff in inking someone at the end of the year and lowballing the coach that's given you the most success in the last 20 years that has no reason to not be completely offended when your lame duck worthless football coach is making some serious jack

this. frank's going to remember that.  how he hell could currie (and people in the AD office) read that man so wrong?  imo, regardless of whether or not a deal gets done, frank is gone within 2 years.  had currie not done this (allegedly) then I honestly think frank would stay (or rather I'd be surprised if he left to a non-elite school job).

as an aside, we paid Wooly about 655K. so umm...yeah.  

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4179/is_20040929/ai_n11819162/

January 20, 2010, 10:25:00 AM
Reply #199

K-ST8ED

• Cub

The monthly donation is a great idea. I think a lot of people would do that, which in turn is a simple way to raise a lot of money.

January 20, 2010, 10:28:54 AM
Reply #200

LimestoneOutcropping

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Skate on Sister School

i heard decourcey on my way into work and was kind of upset that he didn't reference this site specifically, so i emailed him about it. just got his response.

rick,

I appreciate and understand your concern. If you remember, I was one of the few people in the media who was completely behind the Frank Martin hire from the beginning. As to the question on why i did not reference KsuFans.com when talking to Nate and Steven this morning, i will simply say that i tried to access that website throughout the day and evening yesterday but was unable to. Thanks again for your input and for listening to me this morning on The Boarder Patrol.

-Mike D

I got a very similar text.  He said "LOL at the kscrashfans.com"

January 20, 2010, 10:35:59 AM
Reply #201

Ghost of Stan Parrish

• Cub

• My profile
 :rolleyes:

How much money have you guys donated yet?  You mocked ClayKat's idea, but money makes the world go round.
每個人一野貓!

January 20, 2010, 10:50:32 AM
Reply #202

catzacker

• Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Fear the Brick

How much money have you guys donated yet?  You mocked ClayKat's idea, but money makes the world go round.

my donations, apparently, went to Deb's raise.  she deserves it, though.  women's basketball only loses about as much money as frank martin's program makes.

January 20, 2010, 10:55:01 AM
Reply #203

Kat Kid

• Administrator
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    warm up the EMAW

I'm a donor turd blossom.
ksufanscopycat my friends.

January 20, 2010, 11:06:58 AM
Reply #204

KITNfury

• Cub

I received a follow up phone call. Apparently, they do offer some sort of monthly donations. I assume it can be a simple withdrawal from a person's bank account like I mentioned. I am getting info mailed to me and will post details when I receive it. They really should push it on the common folk like me.

January 20, 2010, 11:13:52 AM
Reply #205

cireksu

• Classless Cat
  • Cub

I received a follow up phone call. Apparently, they do offer some sort of monthly donations. I assume it can be a simple withdrawal from a person's bank account like I mentioned. I am getting info mailed to me and will post details when I receive it. They really should push it on the common folk like me.

It should be front page of the athletics site.

January 20, 2010, 11:15:59 AM
Reply #206

KITNfury

• Cub

It should be front page of the athletics site.
Seriously. It should read "Good basketball for the permanently low rate of $5/month. Sign up now!".

January 20, 2010, 11:21:38 AM
Reply #207

catzacker

• Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Fear the Brick
They kind of need guerilla warfare type fund raising.  Like, start a 5K for 20 club.  5 thousand people, at 20 bucks a month = 1.2m.  Everyone that does this gets a signed basketball from frank, the staff and the players or something. f*ck, I don't know.

January 20, 2010, 11:24:37 AM
Reply #208

sys

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    gmafb
They kind of need guerilla warfare type fund raising.  Like, start a 5K for 20 club.  5 thousand people, at 20 bucks a month = 1.2m.  Everyone that does this gets a signed basketball from frank, the staff and the players or something. f*ck, I don't know.

that thing about how you donated for patterson was really funny, cz.
"these are no longer “games” in the commonly accepted sense of the term. these are free throw shooting contests leavened by the occasional sprint to the other end of the floor."

January 20, 2010, 12:08:20 PM
Reply #209

Del Tremens

• Cub

• Personal Text
    Wait...what?
Two observations:

1:  Assuming the negotiation info came from Frank's camp, which should be a safe assumption, then he's pretty much clowned Currie in this round, which leads to...

2:  Assuming the lowballing info is correct, then what the hell was Currie thinking?  Horrible idea for two reasons:  you basically insult a guy who, all other things being equal, has some loyalty to you institution, *and* you provide a powderkeg to the other side in the negotiations.  A powderkeg that Frank's camp has taken full advantage of to the extent that you've had the two major KC sports media players weigh in on Frank's side--and one even gave out Currie's e-mail on air to lobby for Frank's raise--and now you've got national folks in on the story.