Date: 24/04/24 - 12:39 PM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: The Official KSUfans.com Quit Smoking Help Thread  (Read 14780 times)

February 08, 2009, 12:07:20 AM
Reply #30

cireksu

February 08, 2009, 12:16:42 AM
Reply #31

sys

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    gmafb
how 'bout you just man up and smoke what you want, when you want, how you want?

push comes to shove, you're either more of a man than the cancer or less.  and not smoking certainly isn't going to make you more of a man.
"these are no longer “games” in the commonly accepted sense of the term. these are free throw shooting contests leavened by the occasional sprint to the other end of the floor."

February 08, 2009, 12:24:09 AM
Reply #32

cireksu

I just don't want to die before my parents.

February 08, 2009, 12:27:29 AM
Reply #33

Rick Daris

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

as in, I'd rather have certain death than have my face look like

doubtful. please pm when you find out you're dying and we'll revisit. also, there is about as much research that says that smokeless tobacco isn't harmful as there is that says it is. just trying to provide a good alternative for you. 

February 08, 2009, 12:31:44 AM
Reply #34

cireksu

meh, don't want to chew.  have friends that do, and I make fun of them too much to start myself.

February 08, 2009, 12:38:02 AM
Reply #35

Rick Daris

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

meh, don't want to chew.  have friends that do, and I make fun of them too much to start myself.

maybe this then. pretty impossible to make fun of this incredibly cool thing...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18431~r.53733725

February 08, 2009, 12:47:14 AM
Reply #36

cireksu

- Simple to use and very cool too

hmm

February 08, 2009, 02:39:02 AM
Reply #37

waks

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    KSU Super Fan
And it's very, very cool.

qffft!! my god is it cool. i saw a certain ksufan'er.com'er smoking in a leather jacket and the dude looked absurdly cool. i felt like a turd standing next to him.
I happen to know a certain smoking ksufan'er.com'er that wears a leather jacket. Same guy?

February 08, 2009, 02:44:06 AM
Reply #38

jmlynch1

• Classless Cat
  • Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    Not A Basketball Player
And it's very, very cool.

qffft!! my god is it cool. i saw a certain ksufan'er.com'er smoking in a leather jacket and the dude looked absurdly cool. i felt like a turd standing next to him.
I happen to know a certain smoking ksufan'er.com'er that wears a leather jacket. Same guy?
:peek:

EDIT: For the record, this is why I will never be able to stop smoking. Gotta give the people what they want.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 02:47:08 AM by jmlynch1 »

February 08, 2009, 09:05:35 AM
Reply #39

Dirty Sanchez

• Classless Cat
  • Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    Powertard Un-approved
What if we don't want to enjoy your grandkids?

February 08, 2009, 11:06:38 AM
Reply #40

cireksu

get some gum dude, you chew like 2 times and stick it under your lip like a dip.  might help with the chew.

February 08, 2009, 11:41:07 AM
Reply #41

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment
Yeah, when you're young the future is to worry about later. 
<---------Click the ball

February 08, 2009, 11:41:37 AM
Reply #42

Winters

• Senior Cub

I got a question for you d00dz, which is worse to smoke cigs or weed?  :confused:

February 08, 2009, 11:52:19 AM
Reply #43

cireksu

I got a question for you d00dz, which is worse to smoke cigs or weed?  :confused:

weed has the same carcinogens(?) but people don't usually smoke a pack of joint's a day.

February 08, 2009, 11:54:30 AM
Reply #44

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment

weed has the same carcinogens(?) but people don't usually smoke a pack of joint's a day.

yep, plus weed isn't physically addicting....though prolly mentally more addicting.  But, you still get stuff done while smoking cigarettes.  I would call it a push. 
<---------Click the ball

February 08, 2009, 01:27:53 PM
Reply #45

Rick Daris

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

cigs are prob worse overall but neither should be tried before you're about twenty. much, much less likely to become addicted if you initially try these things later in life (not in your teens).

February 08, 2009, 01:53:31 PM
Reply #46

Pett

• Premium Member
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Hey, basketball!!!
Come on guys!!! Quit smoking!! We're are all in this together!!! :ksu:

February 08, 2009, 02:02:27 PM
Reply #47

QuinnMac

• Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    CTR is back on: Hornsdown

Are you seeking validation?
-Find it at community college

February 08, 2009, 06:19:49 PM
Reply #48

yoga-lika_abana

I've never smoked a cigarette, whoa glad I got that off my chest.

February 08, 2009, 09:21:03 PM
Reply #49

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains
Ok, true story:

Mom had smoked since she was in her teens (at least 55 years).  In March, 2004, she had a heart attack.  She had two stents put in.  A young intern was trying to talk to her about smoking cessation programs. 

Well, Mom being Mom didn't like the way this 'young' doctor was talking to her and decided to quit cold turkey.  And did.  She even had her sister and others come to the house and she allowed them to smoke.  She didn't start smoking.  At all.

Now, I will tell you, in April, 2007, she was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer.  Small cell lung cancer is almost always associated with smoking.  It is a very fast cancer and she had tumors in her brain and it had spread elsewhere.  She lost her battle in July, 2007.  Thankfully, she did not suffer for an extended period. 

I never did try to talk Mom out of smoking.  Maybe I should have tried.  But knowing Mom, she was going to quit when she wanted to quit. 

So cire, it is up to you.  If you want to quit, you can.  I've had two cousins (and Mom) quit and stay off cigarettes.  There are a lot of different things out there to try.  You can find the one to help you if you truely want to quit.

Good luck.  You can do it.

:cyclist: :cyclist: :cyclist: :cyclist:
I love the smell of peat in the evening.  That smell, you know that earthy smell...  Smells like...whisky !

Funditus Classless

February 08, 2009, 09:38:35 PM
Reply #50

chum1

• Scout Team Wildcat

Flush the butts (Keith Olbermann)

SECAUCUS — I wrote here yesterday of Peter Jennings’ death from lung cancer. The entry yesterday — as nearly all the talk - was, suitably and appropriately, about the man.

Now, about the disease — and you.

The statistics are staggering. By the time this day is over, just in this country, 447 people will have died of lung cancer — 1,562 from all forms of cancer. Nobody did a better job of remembering the part of this sadness that we are trying to forget than Tom Brokaw, yesterday morning, on the Today show: "To go through this difficult time seemed particularly cruel to me. But I know Peter would want us to say, this happens to families every day, and we can't forget about them either."

To that point, the story now of somebody who quite probably should've been in Peter Jennings' shoes, except for dumb, undeserved luck.

Me.

‘So,’ I thought, as I was hunched over, spitting blood into the garbage can in my office, half an hour before the newscast, ‘this is it — this is cancer.’ It gets uglier, I understood that — so ugly that those who've survived can't even describe how much uglier it gets.

Still, that imagery that I want to have stick in your mind, is pretty good: They've just had to cut something out, from inside your body because they think it's cancer. And because it doesn't heal up right away, every couple of hours the coagulation breaks and your mouth fills up with blood — and all of a sudden, hunching over a garbage can, spitting it out, is the best available option.

I'm not doing some sort of bad taste ‘what-if’ on the passing of Peter Jennings — I have had a tumor removed from the roof of my mouth.

It was benign — that makes all the difference in the world, of course.

Except for the part — where it doesn't make any difference. Because, I was in that position — spitting globs of myself into a garbage can in Secaucus, New Jersey, entirely through my own doing, my own fault.

And maybe there's the chance that if the loss of Peter Jennings hasn't impacted you, that maybe if you listen to my story you might get smart enough in a hurry — or scared enough in a hurry — so that you don't wind up spitting blood into the garbage can, and spending five days like me, thinking you had cancer — or actually having it.

There are some things in life you don't have much control over — terrorism, lightning, and even cancer when it runs in your family or when you just get it.

But that's not what this tumor was — the one that for five very long days had me convinced I had cancer. This is from me smoking pipes and cigars for 27 years. And if you work for a company that produces or sells pipes and cigars and you are recoiling defensively and saying ‘you don't know that’... well, let me quote Robert Novak — "bull" — I do too know that.

The place where this thing grew on the roof of my mouth, is precisely above the spot where the end of the cigar, or the tip of the pipe, would sit, nearly every time I've smoked. I've been smoking — with the first place the smoke connects with my tissue, right in this one spot in my mouth — since Jimmy Carter was President.

So, yes, biologically speaking, smoking caused that tumor. Behaviorally speaking, I caused that tumor — period.

It's not like this thing that they cut out of me a week ago last Friday just appeared overnight, either. It was there no later than 1991, and a dentist told me then: either quit smoking or keep an eye on this — or both — because that could be pre-cancerous.

But no — until my current dentist Bob Schwartz said "this has changed, go see an oral surgeon" — I knew better. Both my grandfathers, I liked to say, lived into their 80s and in the last weeks of their lives, both of them walked into town to get a haircut and some cigars — and that would be good enough for me.

Well, maybe that would have been good for me. Except, the point is this: they cut something out of your mouth; it's a benign fibrous tumor; they have to cauterize it with a laser; you wind up spitting blood like Rocky Balboa in front of Burgess Meredith; you spend five days thinking about the radiation and the chemo to come; and — by the way — ten days later, your mouth still hurts and it'll probably be all healed in six weeks.

And that's if you're lucky — so lucky that you start jumping up and down and singing "Happy Days Are Here Again."

Imagine… if it were bad news.

My oral surgeon, Andrei Mark, admits now he feared the worst. And worse still, the last guy in to see him, before me, the last smoker with a tumor in his mouth — his was Lymphoma "B" — Cancer. No unexpected good luck for him.

Maybe, if you're sitting there smoking right now, it'll make you think.

And even if you sense there's already something wrong, don't wait. Oral cancers are survivable at a rate of 80 to 90 percent — get your dentist to give you a simple screening. Even lung cancer, you can do something about — if you do something about it.

Since that lovely evening I spent hunched over my garbage can, I have changed in a couple of ways, but most notably this way: when I see somebody smoking, I want to smack the cigarette or the cigar or the pipe out of their mouth. And then I want to smack them. I understand about the addiction and how they hook you and all of that. I'm a smoker — remember?

But consider something - I had to consider this, last week. It would be terrible enough to have cancer. But on top of it, you'd have cancer and you'd have to stop smoking. Guess what? It's easier to stop smoking while you don't have cancer. Ever thought of that before?

Anyway. We're all sad about Peter Jennings. Me, I feel sad and guilty. But if his death has saddened you, and you smoke, and you want to do something about it, something for him — stop smoking. Or get somebody else to stop.

Break the pipe or throw away the chaw, or flush the butts, or leave the cigar in the cigar store. Buy the gum, buy the patch, get them to tie your arms behind your back until you stop smoking. Do whatever you have to do to stop smoking — now. While it's easier.

So you don't have to stop smoking while you have cancer. Or while you're sitting there, spitting into a garbage can, praying that you don't.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8514671/

February 08, 2009, 09:44:18 PM
Reply #51

Winters

• Senior Cub

Great thread fellas... I have to pin this up because I am in the process of doing the same thing. I smoked black and mild since I was 19 and chewed tobacco since I was 14. It sucks to quit but I feel so much better. I have been an entire month without smoking which is awesome. The skoal gives me issues but i've only had one chew in the past week.  :banghead: its still a work in progress.
I encourage anyone who is trying to quit to post to this thread so that we can share stories and help each other out. Is it possible to have a nicotine free ksufans.com?  :scared:
Anyway let's try and see... :cheers:
Your a good human, you can do it.  :popcorn:

February 08, 2009, 10:57:24 PM
Reply #52

Pike

• Senior Cub

quitting right now.

using the gum, works pretty good, except in the morning.  this week cut back from about 12 a day to about 2-3 a day.  also got crapfaced last night and didn't have one, but basically passed out before I could cheat and have one.

you'll never quit cutting back to fewer a day.  You have to stop completely.  If you can't and the gum doesn't work get the Zyban.

QFT. That is absolutely true. I've done the patch, gum, and lozenges and nothing works. However, I have only bought two packs since September so I'm doing better.

It also doesn't help to have 3 out of 5 roomates that are regular smokers.

February 08, 2009, 11:19:31 PM
Reply #53

Kat Kid

• Administrator
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    warm up the EMAW
I never really started or stopped smoking.  Don't think it is addicting at all really.  Sometimes I will smoke for a weekend or something, but I'm usually sick of it by the next day or couple of days.  Too expensive.  I seriously don't understand the whole addiction thing (except ksufans).
ksufanscopycat my friends.

February 08, 2009, 11:22:28 PM
Reply #54

willie83

• Cub

• Personal Text
    FTB
I quit 8 years ago, and whenever I see some older, wrinkled up person smoking I think to myself how glad I am that I was able to stop. I went cold turkey, and the most difficult was the time from about three months to a year, but the only way to stop is as chum mentioned, just don't buy them. I bummed a cig now and then while drinking (hardest time), but never bought any. I can say I haven't craved one for about 5 years now.

I have had friends use the gum, but none has been able to quit, they just get addicted to the gum and eventually go back to the cigs, trading one nicotine source for another.

February 08, 2009, 11:31:43 PM
Reply #55

MOKSUAZ

• Cub

i quit a couple of times back in college for extended periods of time, but have since gone back to the wonderful/hated addiction (my goal is to quit before i have children).  some things that worked for me was to keep myself busy with things that wouldn't cause anxiety/unneeded pressure, stay at the rec an extra hour (time permitted), etc.  but the thing that worked best for me was to make it known to everyone i knew that i was quitting and would need any and all assistance to keep me from smoking. 

February 09, 2009, 12:03:48 AM
Reply #56

AzCat

• Classless Cat
  • Scout Team Wildcat

Cigs lead to all sorts of cancers & other health problems.  Getting caught smoking weed can lead to AIDS.

Take your pick.
Ladies & gentlemen, I present: The Problem

February 09, 2009, 12:20:45 PM
Reply #57

willie83

• Cub

• Personal Text
    FTB

Cigs lead to all sorts of cancers & other health problems.  Getting caught smoking weed can lead to AIDS.

Take your pick.

You have to get caught doing more than smoking it to get anything more than a ticket in most states, outside of Arizona.

February 09, 2009, 10:01:58 PM
Reply #58

Winters

• Senior Cub

Take your pick.
AIDS

February 10, 2009, 11:14:30 AM
Reply #59

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment

Take your pick.
AIDS

Question:  Is AIDS even that bad anymore?  I mean, I never hear people bitching and whining about it like I used to. 
<---------Click the ball