Author Topic: McGruds  (Read 9797 times)

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: McGruds
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 12:58:33 AM »
When will you jackwagons realize that in Frank's defensive scheme, we're going to get backdoored on occasion, and it's the help-side defender that fails when the guy gets a layup? Sheez.

yes

Offline swish1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
When will you jackwagons realize that in Frank's defensive scheme, we're going to get backdoored on occasion, and it's the help-side defender that fails when the guy gets a layup? Sheez.

thats not what frank said after the game...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 01:35:34 AM »

Yeah I think he's actually really pissed this time, not doing it to teach a lesson or to appease shirt tucks

From Meek
http://cjonline.com/interact/blog/austin_meek/2010-12-22/postgame_unlv_63_k_state_59

Here's the extent of Frank Martin's comments on Jacob Pullen and Curtis Kelly, who were suspended before Tuesday's game for accepting impermissible benefits from a Manhattan department store.

As you may surmise, Martin was not a happy man.

Assistant sports information director Tom Gilbert began the postgame news conference by announcing K-State would not comment beyond the statement it released.

Here's the full transcript.

Q. Is Rodney OK?

A. That's part of playing sports. You get hit. You bleed a little bit.

Q. Frank, I don't want you to ... I know you said you guys wouldn't expand on the statement--

A. So why are you asking?

Q. I'm not asking you about it. How emotional--

A. I'm not speaking about people that are not here today.

Q. Did Rodney lose a tooth?

A. I got no idea. I don't know. I broke my nose three times. It's part of playing sports. He'll be all right.

Q. How do you think the guys who did play responded to being shorthanded?

A. We lost. Obviously not good enough. We're not about losing here. We're not about playing hard and coming up close and moral victories. That's not what we built our program about. We lost, so it wasn't good enough.

Q. Any hints of the leadership without those guys on the court?

A. You guys are trying to get under my skin today, aren't you? I've been pretty respectful of the media my whole career.

Q. I saw some guys--

A. I don't want to hear anything else about leadership about anyone other than the guys on the basketball court. I do not want you to refer any questions again about anybody who was not dressed and in uniform here today.

Q. It looked like Jamar and Rodney--

A. They tried. They tried. They tried. Until this team doesn't find that character and that leadership, we're going to continue to flounder around.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 09:59:49 AM »

I listened to the presser. He said nothing about the wings getting backdoored. In fact, on the missed charge he was railing McG about, McG was the helpside defender.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »

I listened to the presser. He said nothing about the wings getting backdoored. In fact, on the missed charge he was railing McG about, McG was the helpside defender.

i'm w/ u on this, kougs

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 10:36:25 AM »
In his chat with Wyatt Frank said something about Rodney getting backdoored three straight times off the same play and not fixing it.  :dunno:  Maybe he meant Rodney was supposed to be the help on those, because he also talked about he was pissed about Rodney failing to take the charge and giving up the 3-points play instead.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 10:41:56 AM »

this may not be the right thread, but in the espn highlights (still available: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard ), you can see southwell completely lose his man, get backdoored and then take a step towards the sidelines in an apparent attempt to double a guy that doesn't have the ball.  you can also see irving's vaunted on-ball d.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 10:56:17 AM »

this may not be the right thread, but in the espn highlights (still available: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard ), you can see southwell completely lose his man, get backdoored and then take a step towards the sidelines in an apparent attempt to double a guy that doesn't have the ball.  you can also see irving's vaunted on-ball d.

Yeah, not gonna lie, my Irving crusade took a bit of a hit last night.

Also, can't help but repeatedly :facepalm: at Jamar getting figuratively teabagged by that 6'2" guy at the end.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 11:01:19 AM »
So at what point does defending the backdoor become a point of emphasis??

Or, is the coaching staff hammering the backdoor situation home, and our little collection of shockingly low bbiq types on the team just not getting it.

For the love of the flying spaghetti monster, Lon Kruger and all Hartmanites have been running backdoor cuts on people since before Hank Iba was born . . . you mean to tell me that another Hartmanite in Undy's wasn't able to speak to that . . . or is our little collection of basketball anti-savants just not capable of understading this stuff??

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »
It's almost time for conference play.  We no longer have "things to work on" , we have "weaknesses that will never go away."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2010, 11:14:07 AM »
Or, is the coaching staff hammering the backdoor situation home, and our little collection of shockingly low bbiq types on the team just not getting it.

100% of our wings are either freshmen, relatively low minute sophomores, or rodney mcgruder.  you are never going to get a group comprised of those type players to play hard ball denial d and still be able to recover on every backdoor cut.  
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2010, 11:30:06 AM »
So at what point does defending the backdoor become a point of emphasis??

For the love of the flying spaghetti monster, Lon Kruger and all Hartmanites have been running backdoor cuts on people since before Hank Iba was born . . . you mean to tell me that another Hartmanite in Undy's wasn't able to speak to that . . . or is our little collection of basketball anti-savants just not capable of understading this stuff??

Focusing on the backdoors is a 'tard talking point. We have the 9th most efficient D in the country. Backdoor layups look bad and are easy for the casual basketball fan to identify; that's the only reason they're even being talked about over in Tardville right now. You're better than that, dax.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2010, 11:40:46 AM »
Kougs . . . really hate it when  you try and over compensate for all your time on K-Statefans with your "too cool for school" shtick.

The fact of the matter is, this team gets burned all the time on backdoor cuts . . . all the time.    Just like this team regularly gets beat down the floor because they don't find the ball and recognize. 

It is absolutely a big deal when a team is regularly giving up 8-10 points a game to other teams off the most basic play in the game and a play that is essentially Basketball 001 in terms of teaching how to defend.    Getting burned multiple times on backdoor cuts last night came at crucial points in the game.

It's the same concept of when we become so caught up in flying to the ball that we leave good 3 point shooters standing all alone. 

Offline pufiZzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 11:49:24 AM »
I'm ok with us giving up 30 backdoor layups if we only give up 60 pts a game........which we did the last 2 games   :dunno:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 11:53:40 AM »
Kougs . . . really hate it when  you try and over compensate for all your time on K-Statefans with your "too cool for school" shtick.

The fact of the matter is, this team gets burned all the time on backdoor cuts . . . all the time.    Just like this team regularly gets beat down the floor because they don't find the ball and recognize. 

It is absolutely a big deal when a team is regularly giving up 8-10 points a game to other teams off the most basic play in the game and a play that is essentially Basketball 001 in terms of teaching how to defend.    Getting burned multiple times on backdoor cuts last night came at crucial points in the game.

It's the same concept of when we become so caught up in flying to the ball that we leave good 3 point shooters standing all alone. 

9th most efficient D in the country.

You can't do everything well. Clearly, Frank's strategy is to sacrifice some easy buckets in return for constant pressure on the ball and in passing lanes, resulting in high TO% and bad shot selection throughout games. His stats to date suggest it is a sound strategy.

In our two recent losses we've given up 57 and 63 points, respectively. And you're whining about backdoor cuts.

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 12:00:32 PM »
Yeah, back door cuts are a fact of life when you play denial defense.  The biggest problem is there is no weak side help when people are over playing 2 passes away.  The backside post player should be sagging to recover help defense and we did that pretty well at times last night, but also screwed it up a few times.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2010, 12:01:54 PM »

You can't do everything well. Clearly, Frank's strategy is to sacrifice some easy buckets in return for constant pressure on the ball and in passing lanes, resulting in high TO% and bad shot selection throughout games. His stats to date suggest it is a sound strategy.

In our two recent losses we've given up 57 and 63 points, respectively. And you're whining about backdoor cuts.

I am "whining" about backdoor cuts when it allows the other team to get back into the game, take the lead and ultimately win . . . crazy huh??

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2010, 12:05:36 PM »
Exactly . . . our weakside has terrible recognition, and many times the posts have their back completely away from the play . . . you can't play that kind of denial defense and have such poor weakside help.   Then comes the other problem, they get so engaged in weak side help that everyone leaves their guy to help. 

It's an easy fix, but hey as long this causes us to lose the game, but our defensive efficency is still good, who cares right??

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2010, 12:12:04 PM »

I am "whining" about backdoor cuts when it allows the other team to get back into the game, take the lead and ultimately win . . . crazy huh??

What's crazy is that you don't think it was the fact that we got a 6-point lead in the 2nd half, 40-34, and then scored just 2 points over the next 7 minutes and 10 seconds of play that led to our downfall.

Nope, it was those pesky backdoor cuts. GMAFB.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2010, 12:15:12 PM »
What's crazy is that we have a "defense first" coach whose current system continously allows easy baskets from the most basic play in basketball in the most crucial parts of games.

Going long periods of time and not scoring is generally an acceptable outcome in JYC/Frankite land as long as they play good D and board.

But I suppose Kougs, you looked out on the court last night and told yourself we were going to shoot those fuckers right out of the building.   :facepalm:

Offline pufiZzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2010, 12:25:09 PM »
I think what Dax is trying to say is that until we start giving up less than 50 pts. a game, our defense is atrocious.  Please ignore that we were playing without our best on ball defender and best shot blocker and held opponent to 63 points.  Thank you.  :rolleyes:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 12:27:17 PM »
I think what Dax is trying to say is that until we start giving up less than 50 pts. a game, our defense is atrocious.  Please ignore that we were playing without our best on ball defender and best shot blocker and held opponent to 63 points.  Thank you.  :rolleyes:

The way we got backdoored last night had nothing to do with missing anyone.  It had everything to do with playing stupid defense and horrible weak side help.   Playing ball denial 2 passes away on a guy 18 feet from the basket on the baseline??  Come on man.

Offline pufiZzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 12:32:54 PM »

The way we got backdoored last night had nothing to do with missing anyone.  It had everything to do with playing stupid defense and horrible weak side help.   Playing ball denial 2 passes away on a guy 18 feet from the basket on the baseline??  Come on man.

Isn't that how we've played the last 4 years?  :dunno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2010, 12:37:15 PM »

Isn't that how we've played the last 4 years?  :dunno:

No it isn't, the help should be there.  However those mistakes happen sometimes when playing pressure d, freaking out about it is dumb.  Most consider the source and ignore the drama queen/attention whore.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2010, 12:39:19 PM »
Yeah, with guys like Dom who could recover.   Ain't no Dom out there now.

Make it rain, I know you're still reeling from Date Night fail, but it's not a drama queen situation when the very plays being discussed are what basically turned the game in UNLV's favor.   But I know you, you'll take every little thing as a personal affront and get all bitchy about it per usual right DaxBot2010??