Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004680 times)

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4650 on: November 05, 2013, 08:49:17 PM »
Approved for the Sapphire and planning on canceling the SW in a few weeks.  Should I keep the SPG or get a different Amex?  I like some of the Amex perks for concert tickets, credit history, etc so I want to have one in some fashion. I wouldn't lose SPG points for canceling it right? For some reason it seems like I remember them going away or some dumb crap

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: November 06, 2013, 06:17:23 AM »
Once points are with the airline/hotel they are yours. Some cc programs with their own proprietary point will take them though.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: November 06, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »
Three Two questions about adding authorized users:

1) Does adding a spouse as an authorized user limit that spouse's ability to apply for the same card later?

2) If so, do I just give the card with my name on it to Mrs. WonderMeal and let her go nuts? (Meaning: have her spend frugally on our normal expenses only, but with my name on the card.)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: November 06, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »
1) no

2) na

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: November 06, 2013, 12:28:42 PM »
Quick question regarding how long to hold cards(non churning cards).  I have had the Citi thank you card for like 10 years.  It used to be my everyday card until I internet met you guys.  I then got the Chase Sapphire non preferred with no annual fee because they gave me 100k for getting it.  Since then, I have used that as my everyday card.  I have been keeping the Citi open and not using it because I have had it forever and figure that is good for my overall credit score.  Should I also keep the Sapphire open forever?, does it really matter? I will prob, dump the Sapphire if they don't let me get the preferred while owning the non preferred anyway. Just a random me being curious question.  I have elite credit so I am not really worried about it.   

You guys are the best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: November 06, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »
You can keep it open because long term credit looks good. as long as you aren't hitting your Chase max credit ceiling or something there isn't a downside really. I'm not the best credit counselor though.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: November 06, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
You can keep it open because long term credit looks good. as long as you aren't hitting your Chase max credit ceiling or something there isn't a downside really. I'm not the best credit counselor though.

Don't be modest SD, I bet you have amazing credit

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: November 06, 2013, 12:41:31 PM »

Don't be modest SD, I bet you have amazing credit

I do. but, I don't know how to tell people to get more/better credit themselves.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: November 09, 2013, 06:09:44 AM »
Trim, how as Uber?  :fatty:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: November 10, 2013, 08:40:33 PM »
Trim, how as Uber?  :fatty:

Good, in hindsight, we could've gotten an extra free ride.  My first ride that I guess got you your credit was like $17 and I got all $17 off instead of just $10.  I then got my referral code and sent it to Gooch.  We were hoping that whatever glitch that caused me to get 100% off instead of just $10 would happen on the ride to the airport, so we saved his first trip for that.  Didn't work.  We should've had him get us from benny's to mother's and get me another $10 credit and then used that towards the airport.  I'd forgotten I'd get another $10 as soon as he used his.

Definitely felt good looking down on all the poors in their smelly cabs.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: November 11, 2013, 07:23:33 AM »
hyatt devaluation  :sdeek:

hyatt regency maui actually going down in points is the only bright spot I can see. Park Hyatt Paris going from 22k to 30k (new top tier redemption)  :frown: not as bad as some devaluations but still sad.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: November 11, 2013, 07:38:18 AM »
only 6 properties in cat 7 so that's not bad. Cat 6 going from 22k to 25k which isn't awful I guess. Andaz Maui staying cat. 6 is good. Hyatt Maui had to move a spot down because of that. nobody was going to book it for the same rate as the Andaz on the same island.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: November 11, 2013, 07:38:55 AM »
also, stupid gary is claiming he has some scoop that good news will follow this. it's probably some better diamond benefits or some garbage.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: November 11, 2013, 09:51:25 AM »
Does anyone use the Wallaby app?  It's an app that you enter all your CC's into and then it uses FourSquare to find what CC a person should use for best kickbacks.  I've been using it for about a week now and like it. 

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: November 11, 2013, 09:55:11 AM »

hyatt regency maui actually going down in points is the only bright spot I can see. Park Hyatt Paris going from 22k to 30k (new top tier redemption)  :frown: not as bad as some devaluations but still sad.

those free nights from the hyatt cc will still get you into any hyatt tho, right?
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4665 on: November 11, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »

those free nights from the hyatt cc will still get you into any hyatt tho, right?

yes

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: November 11, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »
 :cool:
emaw

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: November 11, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »
Does anyone use the Wallaby app?  It's an app that you enter all your CC's into and then it uses FourSquare to find what CC a person should use for best kickbacks.  I've been using it for about a week now and like it.

Have you guys discussed the Wallaby card on here? It consolidates all your cards and uses the best one for each purchase, depending on the rewards of each card.
Also there's a separate app that will just tell you which card to use if you don't want to get the Wallaby card.

https://walla.by/

so this card pretty much does for $50/year what steve dave already does for me out of the goodness in his heart?

Where did it say the $50/year fee? I never could find what they charge. My understand was that the app is free if you don't get the actual Wallaby card.

It would be like if SD was with you at all times telling you which card to use for which purchases. And if you get the Wallaby card, it would be like SD is holding all your credit cards for you and handing you the correct one so you don't even have to find the right card in your wallet.

steve dave pretty much does hold all my credit cards for me... hes my life planner.

i found it on the reviews:

The first 1,000 customers to sign up for the beta version of Wallaby will receive a lifetime membership benefit—it doesn’t specify, but I suspect it just means you’ll get the card for free. The next 5,000 individuals who sign up for the Wallaby wait list will get a fee-free card for 12 months. Everyone else will get 6 months free usage. After that, the card will carry a $50 annual fee. However, you can also apparently “move up the list” by Tweeting, Facebooking, inSharing Google +ing and Pinteresting the sign-up link.

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/06/wallaby-the-new-credit-card-spend-maximizer/

RIP Kelly Stewart Creep. he was a good poster  :frown:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: November 15, 2013, 08:13:49 PM »
Hey Rams (et al)-

Any of you ever manufactured any spend on a card to get the bonus? I just got Mrs. WonderMeal into the game and want to show her that she just applies and then voila, SW Companion Passes for the whole family. Really feel like it will invest her for the long haul.

I have a Bluebird, but don't really know what to do with it. Can you help?

Not really interested in manufacturing spend for anything other than getting these bonuses pronto, btw.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: November 15, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »
Hey Rams (et al)-

Any of you ever manufactured any spend on a card to get the bonus? I just got Mrs. WonderMeal into the game and want to show her that she just applies and then voila, SW Companion Passes for the whole family. Really feel like it will invest her for the long haul.

Not really interested in manufacturing spend for anything other than getting these bonuses pronto, btw.

yeah, rams is your guy for this

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: November 15, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »
prolly mikey too

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: November 15, 2013, 08:20:55 PM »
prolly mikey too

yeah, I don't know. not steve dave or rick daris, tho.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: November 15, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »
I would wait until the new year to earn all the points.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: November 15, 2013, 09:23:06 PM »
Hey Rams (et al)-

I've done a little blue birding in my day. Basically I bought vanilla reload cards at CVS pharmacy with a credit card that earned more than 1 point per $1 (I think the max you can put on each vanilla reload card is $500 and there is a fee of about $5/vanilla reload card purchased) then you put that $500 into your bluebird account (I think it was as easy as entering the numbers on the back of the card or something). Then you use your bluebird account to send checks to whoever, I've paid my mortgage that way one month, I sent a check to my bro, pay utilities etc. I'm not familiar with the Wal-Mart part of it. I would check the blogs (http://boardingarea.com/frequentmiler/ and http://millionmilesecrets.com/ seem to keep up on the blue bird stuff pretty well)

Rick Daris has previously bought fully re-fundable SW tickets as far out as you can on a cc, then once you get the cc sign up bonus he cancelled the tickets and was refunded the money with out having to give the points back, I've never tried this though.

You can start working on the minimum spend for the SW cards now (get all you Christmas shopping on them), as long as you don't complete them until 2014 (and within the designated time frame) you will still be able to get the companion pass for all of 2014 and 2015, this is what I did (last year).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:28:55 PM by raquetcat »
I'm purple down

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: November 16, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »
Hey Rams (et al)-

I don't mess with BB at all, but my wife and I have Amazon Payments accounts.   Twice a month we send funds back and forth to max the $1,000/mo limit.   I've even sent the full 1k a few times and not had issue, but some report doing that often with flag you and likely get you banned.