Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 983254 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2010, 02:55:25 PM »
SPG is now offering 30k miles with $1k spent in the first 3 months.  This is a very good deal.  For reference, 30k would have been enough to stay 10 nights at OKCPak and it's almost enough for 3 nights at the Westin Maui.  This is also, imo, the best card to use as your everyday card.  It gives you 1 SPG per dollar spent and they can be transfered 1 for 1 to any frequent flyer program if you don't want to use them to stay at Starwood properties (Westin, Sheraton, W, St. Regis, Le Meridien, A Loft, etc.). 

https://www143.americanexpress.com/apisites/microsite/ApplicationFormApp.do?partnerId=95&channel=1000&sourceCode=&authid=&cardType=STPC&seqNumber=248&returnUrl=https://americanexpress.com&btct=AMEX_APPLY_Main_apply_starwood30k_n3:Targeted&ct11=AMEX_APPLY_Main_apply_starwood30k_n3

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »
SPG is now offering 30k miles with $1k spent in the first 3 months.  This is a very good deal.  For reference, 30k would have been enough to stay 10 nights at OKCPak and it's almost enough for 3 nights at the Westin Maui.  This is also, imo, the best card to use as your everyday card.  It gives you 1 SPG per dollar spent and they can be transfered 1 for 1 to any frequent flyer program if you don't want to use them to stay at Starwood properties (Westin, Sheraton, W, St. Regis, Le Meridien, A Loft, etc.). 

https://www143.americanexpress.com/apisites/microsite/ApplicationFormApp.do?partnerId=95&channel=1000&sourceCode=&authid=&cardType=STPC&seqNumber=248&returnUrl=https://americanexpress.com&btct=AMEX_APPLY_Main_apply_starwood30k_n3:Targeted&ct11=AMEX_APPLY_Main_apply_starwood30k_n3

Been trying to get in on this one for awhile now.  Damn my college-studentesque non-existant credi

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2010, 05:53:33 PM »

that is absolutely amazing. also, a person can get both the personal and the business card. that would be 60,000. absolutely incredible deal.

would get you tons of nights at a starwood or you could turn them into 75,000 AA miles and get three roundtrips in the us or two roundtrips to mexico/caribbean.
can also use spg nights and flights and get five nights at a cat 3 and 50,000 AA miles. just insanely amazing deal.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2010, 10:21:35 PM »

that is absolutely amazing. also, a person can get both the personal and the business card. that would be 60,000. absolutely incredible deal.

would get you tons of nights at a starwood or you could turn them into 75,000 AA miles and get three roundtrips in the us or two roundtrips to mexico/caribbean.
can also use spg nights and flights and get five nights at a cat 3 and 50,000 AA miles. just insanely amazing deal.

So for a newbie at this stuff would this be a good first rewards card to get? On a scale of 1 to 10:

1: pffft this card sucks

3: mmmmh maybe get this card

5: yeah get this card if you have time to apply

7: GET this card, but only if mrs. raquetcat approves

9: GET THIS CARD, AMAZING DEAL :creditcardrewardboner:

10: If you don't get this card you belong in the medium/low intelligence thread

Really looking for some guidance from some HCCRIQ types  :dunno:
I'm purple down

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2010, 11:55:05 PM »

Just took the plunge and signed up for this.  Still need to dig out my pre-existing credit cards and hotel cards and airline cards out of my desk and have you guys set up a plan for me.  But this can be the starting point.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2010, 06:16:09 AM »

So for a newbie at this stuff would this be a good first rewards card to get? On a scale of 1 to 10:

10: If you don't get this card you belong in the medium/low intelligence threadi

As a pure sign up reward it's pretty great but not as great as the British air 100k deal that was around last year. But, this is a much better card to start making all your daily purchases with. And, if you spend quite a bit on it during the year, you should be able to talk them into waiving the annual fee of $49. This is a perfect starting point if you are going to do it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2010, 06:59:34 AM »

10: If you don't get this card you belong in the medium/low intelligence threadi

As a pure sign up reward it's pretty great but not as great as the British air 100k deal that was around last year. But, this is a much better card to start making all your daily purchases with. And, if you spend quite a bit on it during the year, you should be able to talk them into waiving the annual fee of $49. This is a perfect starting point if you are going to do it.

i'd say it's about as good as british airways deal if you sign up for both the personal and the business one. no reason to sign up for just one. if you do this, i'd sign up for both.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2010, 08:18:58 AM »

i'd say it's about as good as british airways deal if you sign up for both the personal and the business one. no reason to sign up for just one. if you do this, i'd sign up for both.

Dumb question.  How do you get to the same deal for a business card?  It was late and I didn't look very hard.  Also, would getting both cards also involve cancelling one or both as soon as you get the 30K points?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2010, 08:24:26 AM »
Dumb question.  How do you get to the same deal for a business card?  It was late and I didn't look very hard.  Also, would getting both cards also involve cancelling one or both as soon as you get the 30K points?

No, you can sign up for both and have both at the same time.  You can also use a make believe business.  Just make sure you spend $1k on each within 3 months and you will have 60k SPG points (20 nights in OKC)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2010, 08:31:04 AM »

No, you can sign up for both and have both at the same time.  You can also use a make believe business.  Just make sure you spend $1k on each within 3 months and you will have 60k SPG points (20 nights in OKC)

Yeah, where do I go to sign up for the business card and get that same 30K point deal?

I don't think I want to continually use one card for one hotel brand points beyond the initial bonus.  I'd rather do different deals to get a modest amount of points for various hotels so that I can have options for where to stay free depending on where I am.  For example, I need to get a bunch of Marriott and HHonors points now because if I was ever going to OKC again (doubtful) I'd want to stay at the Renaissance or the Hampton.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2010, 08:34:34 AM »
Dumb question.  How do you get to the same deal for a business card?  It was late and I didn't look very hard.  Also, would getting both cards also involve cancelling one or both as soon as you get the 30K points?

No, you can sign up for both and have both at the same time.  You can also use a make believe business.  Just make sure you spend $1k on each within 3 months and you will have 60k SPG points (20 nights in OKC)

Yeah, where do I go to sign up for the business card and get that same 30K point deal?

I don't think I want to continually use one card for one hotel brand points beyond the initial bonus.  I'd rather do different deals to get a modest amount of points for various hotels so that I can have options for where to stay free depending on where I am.  For example, I need to get a bunch of Marriott and HHonors points now because if I was ever going to OKC again (doubtful) I'd want to stay at the Renaissance or the Hampton.

Hre is a link with both cards.

https://www143.americanexpress.com/apisites/LandingAction.do?partnerId=95&channel=1000&landingCode=93&IM=SPG_11549424SS_AMEX_US_RSS

For Hilton you are pretty much mumped.  They devalued their points and their sign up bonus is basically nothing.  It now takes 25k just to stay in the Hampton in Manhattan.  I used to use Hilton Honors as my go-to card but it now sucks and I've abandoned it.  Marriott still has a really good deal going though.  50k and a free night certificate at a cat. 1-4.  

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=CQJC&CELL=6JXN&AFFID=&CLICK=&CID=&PROMO=DF01

I don't think this one waives the first year fee though so you will start out down $65 (basically nothing compared to what you are getting).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:39:35 AM by steve dave »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2010, 08:53:50 AM »
That's perfect.  Maybe I'll find some time this weekend to get all my current crap together and see what deals you guys can find that'll enhance what I've got and also eliminate current cards that are now worthless.

My current go-to card is Sony rewards.  I get free blu-ray players and stuff.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2010, 08:57:42 AM »
And, if you spend quite a bit on it during the year, you should be able to talk them into waiving the annual fee of $49.

What's the timing on doing this?  Calling them at 11 months and saying you're going to cancel if they don't?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2010, 09:16:13 AM »
And, if you spend quite a bit on it during the year, you should be able to talk them into waiving the annual fee of $49.

What's the timing on doing this?  Calling them at 11 months and saying you're going to cancel if they don't?

Yeah, and if they want to charge you the annual, just cancel.  And then, if you still want the card, sign back up.  I did this with the Delta Amex because it gives me the ability to transfer points directly to money on Delta flights if there isn't an award ticket available.  I actually got an additional Delta sign up bonus for doing it too (I don't think I was supposed to be able to get that but crap like that slips through the cracks all the time).  They actually told me that they could waive it for that year but would charge me the next year (they almost certainly would waive it the next year when I called but I got in a pissing match with them about permanently waiving it from my account which they claimed they couldn't do).  Sometimes they will also throw in free stuff.  Like, the AA card told me they would give me an additional 5k miles if I didn't cancel the card when I called.  I called a week later and cancelled it anyway.  I was kinda hoping it would slip through the cracks and I would get the 5k offer every week into inifinity but no dice.  If you have good credit you can call and haggle with them about anything. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 01, 2010, 09:44:14 PM »
Just signed up for 50K Chase Marriott.  :gocho:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 02, 2010, 07:29:58 AM »

You may as well get the SPG one too just to cover your bases.  The deal for it expires on 7/6. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 02, 2010, 08:34:54 AM »

You may as well get the SPG one too just to cover your bases.  The deal for it expires on 7/6. 

Already got the non-business one back on page 7.  I'll do the business one this weekend.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 02, 2010, 11:58:33 AM »
If you can't keep track of all your reward programs I recommend using awardwallet.com.  I am tracking 19 different programs on it.  It shows your balance, travel plans with each carrier and your miles expiration date.  Very easy to set up and use. 

figured out you can add another user to the awardwallett account so I'm tracking sd and mrs. dave's miles on the same page.  We currently have a combined 279,925 miles on all our various programs.  This is after recently spending almost 100k miles booking a trip to hawaii.  We will be using about another 100k SPG points on the hawaii trip because the god damn St. Regis in Kauai is 20k SPG a night.  But, we will end up doing eight nights on two islands flight/hotel/car rental (convertible) for under $1k. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 02, 2010, 12:05:34 PM »
Another plug for awardwallet.com:  It automatically imports your travel iteneraries from all the programs you are signed up on.  It has all the airlines, hotels and rental car companies.  It even has expedia, travelocity, etc. .  Whenever we book something it automatically updates our travel plans in it's system so I can go to one place to see all of them.  Between the two of us we are tracking 28 miles programs and booked 15 travel plans (not 15 trips, just bookings since most trips will have seperate flight/hotel/rental car/etc).  Pretty damn convenient.  It also stores your passwords to each program so you just click the program from your list (say, Delta) and it will autmatically take you to the Delta site already logged in. 

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 02, 2010, 12:15:45 PM »
Credit Card N00b here.(I didn't bother to read the previous pages) Never had a credit card before. What would be a good card for a first timer?? I don't travel so i could care less about the miles. Just want something simple. Be gentle. tia
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »
Credit Card N00b here.(I didn't bother to read the previous pages) Never had a credit card before. What would be a good card for a first timer?? I don't travel so i could care less about the miles. Just want something simple. Be gentle. tia

I dunno, something from Capital One with a personalized picture of your dog or some crap.  I quit reading when you said you didn't care about miles. 

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 05, 2010, 08:30:39 PM »
I'm still at a point in my life where I need to care about my credit score, have any of you guys with a bunch of cards seen how it affects your score?
I'm purple down

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 05, 2010, 11:38:51 PM »
I'm still at a point in my life where I need to care about my I LOVE DEBT score, have any of you guys with a bunch of cards seen how it affects your score?

translated

There's no need for a credit score if you play your cards right (and smart).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 06, 2010, 07:25:30 AM »
I'm still at a point in my life where I need to care about my credit score, have any of you guys with a bunch of cards seen how it affects your score?

Your score is supposed to take a few point hit per card until you cancel the card and it should then rebound.  I've not seen any real effect to my score.  I check it every 3 or 4 months. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 06, 2010, 09:08:20 AM »
just signed up for starwoods.  I guess now I'm all up in the star's hood.

:gocho: