Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004155 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4100 on: July 17, 2013, 10:34:18 AM »
how many points is a RT to Kauai on AA?  on their website it shows most of them as being 22.5k - 45k depending on class...is that RT or just one way?  can someone explain the AA rewards booking system to me like I'm 5?  southwest is so much simpler.

37.5k in saver first and 75k in anytime first. 22.5k in saver coach and 45k in anytime coach. That's each way. If you want to book first class to Hawaii on any carrier you are going to want to try to get it 11 months out (roughly, each carrier has different exact dates they open availability. check over 11 months out to see when award availability opens and then plan on booking each way on the exact date it opens).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: July 17, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
fiancee got a citi AA card and has like 35k points because she's dumb and got a 30k card, and I have 40k SPG, so 50k AA if I want.

thinking about transferring SPG to AA and then building up points on her card so we can book flights for free for honeymoon, then getting hyatt cards for grand hyatt kauai.  guess I could also get an AA card myself and end up with 100k AA points, but I'm trying to keep my applications down because I'll probably buy a house next year.

I'd just get an AA card yourself since they are somewhat churnable and you have so many different card options. Transferring those SPG isn't ideal.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: July 17, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »
fiancee got a citi AA card and has like 35k points because she's dumb and got a 30k card, and I have 40k SPG, so 50k AA if I want.

thinking about transferring SPG to AA and then building up points on her card so we can book flights for free for honeymoon, then getting hyatt cards for grand hyatt kauai.  guess I could also get an AA card myself and end up with 100k AA points, but I'm trying to keep my applications down because I'll probably buy a house next year.

I'd just get an AA card yourself since they are somewhat churnable and you have so many different card options. Transferring those SPG isn't ideal.

yeah. but if you insist of doing it that way then my suggestion is that instead of turning the spg into aa how about i just give you access to 50k of my 250k aa and you give me the 40k spg you have. heck i'll even give you 55k aa.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: July 17, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »

ah, I was under the impression that it was a good use for SPG points since you got the bonus but I assume you're right.  problem with booking 11 months out is I won't know until january if I'll be able to get the time off in june, might have to delay our honeymoon until the fall.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: July 17, 2013, 10:39:52 AM »
well, check availability then. there may be some. summer is actually the slow season in hawaii. also, hawaii awards are pretty hard to book. especially to OGG and LIH. everyone who gets all these miles for business travel and whatnot wants to take the family to hawaii with their points and the saver award inventory is booked up fast. if you fly to HNL it's easier but still not super easy.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: July 17, 2013, 10:41:19 AM »

ah, I was under the impression that it was a good use for SPG points since you got the bonus but I assume you're right.  problem with booking 11 months out is I won't know until january if I'll be able to get the time off in june, might have to delay our honeymoon until the fall.

it's not the worst but you will have to figure out what kind of bang you're getting for your buck. you may be able to get $500 RT coach tickets anyway and that would make an award booking stupid either way. hawaii coach fare sales in the summer are pretty common.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: July 17, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »
57k aa but that's my final offer

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: July 17, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »

it's not the worst but you will have to figure out what kind of bang you're getting for your buck. you may be able to get $500 RT coach tickets anyway and that would make an award booking stupid either way. hawaii coach fare sales in the summer are pretty common.

yeah was thinking I might just pay for the flight and use points for hotels.  thanks sd
emaw

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: July 17, 2013, 10:29:01 PM »
57k aa but that's my final offer

i'll take it.  give me a couple months to get the spg points.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: July 18, 2013, 07:03:15 AM »
50k American Express Gold card offer came in the mail. Pre-Approved  :gocho:. Only 1k minimum spend

Now, these points work differently or the same as SPG? I think they are membership rewards points like this card:
http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/04/16/50000-points-amex-business-gold/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4110 on: July 18, 2013, 07:36:08 AM »
50k American Express Gold card offer came in the mail. Pre-Approved  :gocho:. Only 1k minimum spend

Now, these points work differently or the same as SPG? I think they are membership rewards points like this card:

they are not nearly the same. they will transfer to BA, Delta, some other crap. not nearly as valuable as UR points. can also use them to book like $500 of travel through their travel booking service. it's a pretty decent but common offer. I got it earlier this year.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: July 18, 2013, 08:24:51 AM »

they are not nearly the same. they will transfer to BA, Delta, some other crap. not nearly as valuable as UR points. can also use them to book like $500 of travel through their travel booking service. it's a pretty decent but common offer. I got it earlier this year.

Did you take the offer?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: July 18, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
amex offers pretty good transfer bonuses at various times throughout the year to various partners (most notably ba), so if you get it, make sure and wait for that. I'm sitting on 125k (50k gold and 75k gold business) waiting for a good transfer bonus.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: July 18, 2013, 08:42:52 AM »

Did you take the offer?

I don't know what you mean. I appllied for a 50k amex gold card. I didn't get personally offered it. It was a public offer.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: July 18, 2013, 09:14:37 AM »

Did you take the offer?

I don't know what you mean. I appllied for a 50k amex gold card. I didn't get personally offered it. It was a public offer.

That's what I meant.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: July 18, 2013, 10:39:32 AM »
Anyone try this?

http://www.rapidrewardsdining.com/

Just signed up.  Sounds like a pretty nice way to earn SWRR points on any card you use.  I will probably use my SPG so I get those points but then get additional SWRR points on top of my SPG points at specific places.   

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: July 18, 2013, 10:55:27 AM »
Anyone try this?

Just signed up.  Sounds like a pretty nice way to earn SWRR points on any card you use.  I will probably use my SPG so I get those points but then get additional SWRR points on top of my SPG points at specific places.

yeah, I have it via United. the same company runs it with various point programs. I sign up all my cards. there is an Indian place here that is an affiliate so we get the extra points for that but it's the only place that we would go to close by that is affiliated. it's always funny to travel and then see random points hit my account for places that are affiliates. but, some smaller cities have nothing.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: July 18, 2013, 10:59:35 AM »
so are you earning the points on all your mileage programs for that same meal or does it pick one and assign the points there? feel like if its the same company theyd figure it out but i guess united would have no way of knowing that you got sw points for the same meal unless this company told them. anyways, just answer the damn question already. sheesh.

also, i signed up.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: July 18, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »
Anyone try this?

yeah, I have it via United. the same company runs it with various point programs. I sign up all my cards. there is an Indian place here that is an affiliate so we get the extra points for that but it's the only place that we would go to close by that is affiliated. it's always funny to travel and then see random points hit my account for places that are affiliates. but, some smaller cities have nothing.
Omaha problems

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4119 on: July 18, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »
You can sign different cards up for different programs but can only earn one at  time. Trust me, I tried.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: July 18, 2013, 11:17:20 AM »
It's pretty much only Indian Restaurants everywhere. some exceptions (obv) but a quick glance of my neighborhood in SF had Indian restaurants a long ways away as about the only thing listed.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: July 18, 2013, 11:18:53 AM »
You can sign different cards up for different programs but can only earn one at  time. Trust me, I tried.

:frown:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: July 18, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »
It's pretty much only Indian Restaurants everywhere. some exceptions (obv) but a quick glance of my neighborhood in SF had Indian restaurants a long ways away as about the only thing listed.

there's a lot of places near my house that are afiliated but most are like townie dive bars and crappy pizza places

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: July 18, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »

there's a lot of places near my house that are afiliated but most are like townie dive bars and crappy pizza places

Yes, shitty townie pizza also popped up out here quite a bit.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: July 18, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »
el patron is part of rr dining fwiw
emaw