Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002867 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4075 on: July 13, 2013, 06:48:14 PM »
We're looking at a Sandals.  Includes scuba there so GF can get certified (saves about $300).  7 or so restaurants, premium booze, golf course.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: July 13, 2013, 09:25:40 PM »
Put $3000 on my ink bold when I bought my car today

The guy was all "we usually don't like to take credit cards because we end up paying so much $ in fees, but we'll make an exception for you"

:gocho:
I'm purple down

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4077 on: July 13, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »
We're looking at a Sandals.  Includes scuba there so GF can get certified (saves about $300).  7 or so restaurants, premium booze, golf course.

I went to couples in negril for my honeymoon, it was good, basically the same thing as sandals I think, but maybe a little cheaper. We did a zip lining excursion in the forest that was really fun (we watched cool runnings in the bus on the way there, super awesome). The wife and I are doing the Hilton rose hill in October, I'll let you know how it is
I'm purple down

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: July 13, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »
Took the plunge, guys. Feels great.

nice, what's your plan?

Only signed up for the Ink Bold and US Airways today. Will probably sign up for AA, United, or one of the American Expresses once I show Mrs. WonderMeal that we can totally meet the spend on the Ink and another card no problemo.   

I signed up for the Ink because I like the flexibility of the UR points, and may end up getting a United card soon, so I can go hog wild on United eventually if I want to. (Pretty mad at myself for not just getting my stuff together and signing up when it was 60k.) I signed up for the US Air card because I want to nab that while I still can, and may sign Mrs. WonderMeal up for one, too. Plus, from my 30 seconds of reading FlyerTalk, I think I might be able to get the US Air once or twice more before the merger?

My main objective is airfare (what with WonderMeal Jr., Li'l Miss WonderMeal, etc), but definitely see myself getting into the SPG game at some point. Howevs, I'm a little worried about getting into hotels because I know that I'll have no problem using the points on airfare, but will go totally Daris on hotel points for whatever reason.

SD, I know you mentioned somewhere a few pages ago the columns you have in your spreadsheet--mind sharing that again?

Also, any guidance on future cards (keep in mind a reticent Mrs. WonderMeal) would be deluxe. Looking forward to the journey.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: July 13, 2013, 10:37:06 PM »
good luck with churning us airways. they mushed me in the face twice. they can go eff themselves.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4080 on: July 14, 2013, 12:52:52 AM »
good luck with churning us airways. they mushed me in the face twice. they can go eff themselves.

describe how and why they mushed you.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: July 14, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »

mrs. dave and I have had good luck with it

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: July 14, 2013, 08:03:05 AM »
SD, I know you mentioned somewhere a few pages ago the columns you have in your spreadsheet--mind sharing that again?

just the name of card, when I applied for it, what the bonus was, what the spend requirement is, annual fee (if applicable). basic information but it helps remind me how long I've gone between applications of each card that is churnable and when I need to cancel some of them.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: July 14, 2013, 08:44:06 AM »
Most of my redemptions come from airfare as I have odds and ends ways of getting hotels.  Need the intern to get us accredited though so I can get better deals and we can all party.

Flying GF's nephew to CO to hang out and party
Looking at heading to Austin for 'Cats game
Flying to Jamaica to stay at an all inclusive (will take recommendos on all-inclusives and fly somewhere else if people have pro-tips)

i've been to jamaica a few times and really like staying at non all inclusives in negril. montego bay is trashy and not fun, but negril is just so non overbuilt and just kind of neat. like you can't have a building over two stories tall so you end up with a bunch of tiny boutique type hotels and restaurants on the beach/cliffs or just guys on the side of the road selling chicken off a homemade trashcan grill. it's not for everybody though but i like it. there is the beach area of negril and then there is the cliffs (west end) area. would stay at seasplash if you want to stay on the beach and xtabi for the cliffs. kind of two vacations in one.

xtabi-

seasplash-

as far as all inclusives go, i really have no idea but honestly think cancun area or dominican republic would give you a better bang for your buck. no reason to go all the way to jamaica and pay more to do so and then just stay at an all inclusive imo.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: July 14, 2013, 09:04:08 AM »

describe how and why they mushed you.
applied and got it in january. canceled in march. reapplied in april and got mushed. said it was too soon from having the last one. didn't even pull my credit report.

was on a flight in june and they were offering 40k after 1st purchase so applied with the paper application deal. called a week later and they didn't seem to care about me having the card before so they pulled credit report. "oh I see you have excellent credit but you have a few new accounts (3 cards like 4 months old from my last round of apps).  we need to see how you handle those accounts. wait like 6 months and try again."

you know what, go eff yourself barclays. as sd said, others have had much better luck. I'm done rough ridin' with them though.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: July 15, 2013, 10:54:01 PM »
 :lol: Omg Gary leff on colbert report.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: July 15, 2013, 10:57:10 PM »

too late!  :shakesfist:

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: July 16, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
I was planning on putting this on here today.  you beat me to it.  he's introduced around 2:50 but it gets really good around the 5:00 mark. 

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/427757/july-15-2013/people-destroying-america---lynn-harrell?xrs=share_copy
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:02:50 PM by Rams »

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: July 16, 2013, 02:13:19 PM »
I was planning on putting this on here today.  you beat me to it.  he's introduced around 2:50 but it gets really good around the 5:00 mark. 

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/427757/july-15-2013/people-destroying-america---lynn-harrell?xrs=share_copy
have you had a note to yourself since december gary 2.0?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: July 16, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »

have you had a note to yourself since december gary 2.0?
:dubious:

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: July 16, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
my united card came?  :dunno:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: July 16, 2013, 04:04:14 PM »
leave to gary to get all butthurt and over explain something that didn't need to be explained. just omg.  :lol:

The Colbert Report folks set up the reservation, so I was staying somewhere I didn’t have status, something I’m not used to. And while it was probably a great hotel for the price (under $300) on a night where hotels in the city generally were close to sold out, it was the first time I had stayed somewhere without status in Manhattan in a Very. Long. Time.

I wasn’t used to what ‘normal-szed’ hotel rooms in the city are like (miniature furniture to make the room seem larger, and while there were two TVs they were close enough that the remote control would turn them both on and off at the same time).

The show was about to go on hiatus and they were doing a ton of taping, getting segments ‘in the can’ so that things would be a bit less hectic when they went back on the air. As a result, there was no studio space available and the crew had me meet them at a budget hotel down the street from their studio to do the filming.

Apparently the hotel is a regular location they’ll use as overflow, someone mentioned the Daily SHow was also filming there that day.
We fit a full camera crew, producer and assistant producer, even an intern into the room. And we filmed for about five hours.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: July 16, 2013, 05:18:20 PM »
do we think the SPG bonus is going to go to 30k in august again? i'm about to sign my parents up for a shitload of cards.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: July 16, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »
and lucky chimes in.

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatatime/2013/07/16/gary-leff-youre-f-awesome/#comments

does he think gary was trying to be funny?  because it really looked like he was trying to be serious and just came off looking like a goober.  if he was actually trying to be funny by looking like a jackass then that's some steve carell type talent, but I'm not buying it.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: July 16, 2013, 05:38:17 PM »
Got a 50k Delta amex offer in the mail.  Worth it, or wait for bigger bonus? 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4095 on: July 16, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »
do we think the SPG bonus is going to go to 30k in august again? i'm about to sign my parents up for a shitload of cards.

Yeah, I'm hoping so. Let me refer them unless you already have it!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: July 16, 2013, 06:37:17 PM »

Decent for delta.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: July 16, 2013, 06:38:19 PM »

I am no expert but I think that's the highest its been in a while. I will def do this as soon as I make GM status this year

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: July 16, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »

I am no expert but I think that's the highest its been in a while. I will def do this as soon as I make GM status this year

Mrs. Dave and I got it for 70k about 30 pages back. But that was a weird short time thing.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: July 17, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »
how many points is a RT to Kauai on AA?  on their website it shows most of them as being 22.5k - 45k depending on class...is that RT or just one way?  can someone explain the AA rewards booking system to me like I'm 5?  southwest is so much simpler.

I thought I saw someone say that a RT to Hawaii was like 50k earlier in this thread but maybe I just dreamed that.  fiancee got a citi AA card and has like 35k points because she's dumb and got a 30k card, and I have 40k SPG, so 50k AA if I want.

thinking about transferring SPG to AA and then building up points on her card so we can book flights for free for honeymoon, then getting hyatt cards for grand hyatt kauai.  guess I could also get an AA card myself and end up with 100k AA points, but I'm trying to keep my applications down because I'll probably buy a house next year.
emaw