Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004485 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4000 on: June 28, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »
Ok. Bear with my ultimate noob status here:

So I signed up for the citi AAdvantage 60k link from that blog.

I didn't have an AA account at that time. I assumed it would make me sign up for one in the process or when I made my citi account. Nope.

So I activated my card and made an online citi account. It doesn't say anything about any offers or points or whatever. I click the AA miles link and it takes me to the AA homepage where I get to log in or make an account. So I make an account.

It doesn't appear that my AA account and my card account are linked in any way. There is no way on either website to add the other.

So I called citi customer service and the first guy said I needed to call AA to figure it out. AA had 55 min+ hold time so I hung up and called citi again and the next lady seemed to think it was supposed to auto create me an AA account I the next few days. I told her I already made one online so she gave me the number to AA again.

Is my account supposed to show my pending award based on the spend? What do I need to do to get my 60k?

Experts please advise.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4001 on: June 28, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »
Ok. Bear with my ultimate noob status here:

I didn't have an AA account at that time. I assumed it would make me sign up for one in the process or when I made my citi account. Nope.

So I activated my card and made an online citi account. It doesn't say anything about any offers or points or whatever. I click the AA miles link and it takes me to the AA homepage where I get to log in or make an account. So I make an account.

It doesn't appear that my AA account and my card account are linked in any way. There is no way on either website to add the other.

So I called citi customer service and the first guy said I needed to call AA to figure it out. AA had 55 min+ hold time so I hung up and called citi again and the next lady seemed to think it was supposed to auto create me an AA account I the next few days. I told her I already made one online so she gave me the number to AA again.

Is my account supposed to show my pending award based on the spend? What do I need to do to get my 60k?

Experts please advise.

Log into your online CC page with citi and see if you can find an AA number anywhere.  I'll bet you can

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: June 28, 2013, 07:56:47 PM »

Wut?

DNR past here

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: June 28, 2013, 08:06:23 PM »
Is there a link for the AA 50k?

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatatime/2013/06/23/citi-aadvantage-visa-50000-mile-sign-up-bonus-is-back-for-now/

just signed up with that link and was approved. Didn't say anything about miles or bonuses though, does that just come by surprise or in the mail stuff with the card?

50k I guess. This blog.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: June 28, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »
Oh, yeah, just hit the min spend and you will get it. Never call the airline/hotel as they have nothing to do with it. It seems like you got the most dumbass citi rep ever. I have applied on probably 20 phantom flyer talk links and have always gotten the points.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4005 on: June 28, 2013, 08:11:04 PM »
Oh, yeah, just hit the min spend and you will get it. Never call the airline/hotel as they have nothing to do with it. It seems like you got the most dumbass citi rep ever. I have applied on probably 20 phantom flyer talk links and have always gotten the points.

But how does it know my AA account? Does it just make one on its own?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: June 28, 2013, 08:13:26 PM »
Yeah, probably. Just wait until they post and you can merge that one and the one you created. I will personally take care of this for you if it is a huge hassle. I guarantee it won't be. On your card monthly statement it will show either the AA account you made or the one they made for you.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: June 28, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »
Phew! Thanks Expert Dave!

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: June 28, 2013, 11:02:33 PM »
so my Canadian friend's wife got the 50k AMEX goldcard bonus a couple months back and wanted to buy an Ipad with her points.  I  he explained to her how bad of a redmption that was, and told her the best route if she really wanted to do it, was buy a Home Depot $500 gift card, that he could then sell to Plastic Jungle and get about $475 for it.     She went ahead and ordered it, then he discovered Plastic Jungle had closed, and told her to cancel it.   He found Rewards2Cash instead.   She called and cancelled the card, and they told her if it showed up it would be cancelled and not to worry about it.

So my Canadian friend decided to check the balance anyways.    Can you guess what it said?   He decided to wait a couple of weeks and see if the card got cancelled, as the online statement shows it was cancelled, and the points refunded.

Canadian friend also just got his confirmation that his check for $752.40 for his transfer of points through R2C.

What should my Canadian friend do about his dilemma?

Feels pretty good....I won't lie.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: July 01, 2013, 09:31:42 AM »
Have you guys discussed the Wallaby card on here? It consolidates all your cards and uses the best one for each purchase, depending on the rewards of each card.
Also there's a separate app that will just tell you which card to use if you don't want to get the Wallaby card.

https://walla.by/

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: July 01, 2013, 11:05:26 AM »
Yeah, probably. Just wait until they post and you can merge that one and the one you created. I will personally take care of this for you if it is a huge hassle. I guarantee it won't be. On your card monthly statement it will show either the AA account you made or the one they made for you.

where will the not bonus just regular points go if it doesn't appear to be tied to an aa account?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: July 01, 2013, 11:17:02 AM »
Have you guys discussed the Wallaby card on here? It consolidates all your cards and uses the best one for each purchase, depending on the rewards of each card.
Also there's a separate app that will just tell you which card to use if you don't want to get the Wallaby card.

definitely an interesting concept, but I would want to see how they valued each point to determine the best spend.  there are many situations where you could get 1,500 hhonors points but only 500 spg points, but the 500 spg points are worth a lot more than 1,500 hhonors points.  how would they account for that?  would be pretty boss if they let you place your own value on the different points and then did the calculation from that. most of my spend goes to hit bonus minimums but there are definitely down times between each churn...especially if/when I use manufactured spend and it would be nice to only have to carry the one card.

I'll also be interested to see how this works from an internal standpoint.  how do they make money?  who gets the transaction fee?  they're going to have to find a way for this to make sense for the visa/mc/amex of the world or they'll get crushed pretty quickly.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: July 01, 2013, 11:43:24 AM »

so this card pretty much does for $50/year what steve dave already does for me out of the goodness in his heart?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: July 01, 2013, 11:54:46 AM »

definitely an interesting concept, but I would want to see how they valued each point to determine the best spend.  there are many situations where you could get 1,500 hhonors points but only 500 spg points, but the 500 spg points are worth a lot more than 1,500 hhonors points.  how would they account for that?  would be pretty boss if they let you place your own value on the different points and then did the calculation from that. most of my spend goes to hit bonus minimums but there are definitely down times between each churn...especially if/when I use manufactured spend and it would be nice to only have to carry the one card.

I'll also be interested to see how this works from an internal standpoint.  how do they make money?  who gets the transaction fee?  they're going to have to find a way for this to make sense for the visa/mc/amex of the world or they'll get crushed pretty quickly.

looks like you just plug in your card's perks, and it compares them and tells you which card to use.    I could be wrong, but I don't want to sign up for an account right now just to check.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: July 01, 2013, 12:29:20 PM »
I just got something in the mail advertising 50k United Miles w/ a $2000 spend in the first three months. I remember SteveDave saying United miles were the best, which piqued my interest.

Questions:
1) Even though this came in the mail, can I just apply for this one over the phone the same day I do all my other cards?
2) The envelope came to me. Any chance Mrs. WonderMeal could also benefit from this and get 50k of her own?
3) Should I apply for this one, the AA 50k card, and something else all at the same time? If so, what should the "something else" be? Something US Air related (to combine with the AA)? Something SW related (lots of SW metal flying in and out of my airport). Something Chase Sapphire Preferred related (because you guys said the cards looked elite at FattyFest when all lined up at a bar)?

I think I'm really going to take the plunge this time, guys.
 :dance:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: July 01, 2013, 12:52:46 PM »
I just got something in the mail advertising 50k United Miles w/ a $2000 spend in the first three months. I remember SteveDave saying United miles were the best, which piqued my interest.

Questions:
1) Even though this came in the mail, can I just apply for this one over the phone the same day I do all my other cards?
2) The envelope came to me. Any chance Mrs. WonderMeal could also benefit from this and get 50k of her own?
3) Should I apply for this one, the AA 50k card, and something else all at the same time? If so, what should the "something else" be? Something US Air related (to combine with the AA)? Something SW related (lots of SW metal flying in and out of my airport). Something Chase Sapphire Preferred related (because you guys said the cards looked elite at FattyFest when all lined up at a bar)?

I think I'm really going to take the plunge this time, guys.
 :dance:

1) yeah, that would be fine. but you (and anyone else with some United miles) can also probably just apply for it online. just login to your United account and if you have some United miles you should see a banner ad or something offering the 50k United card.

2) see above, probably

3) not SW as you'd already be applying for another Chase card that day. yes to AA and USA cards though. could throw an amex in there as well if you felt like it. you will have to consider how much spend you'd have to have in whatever time frame to meet the min. to get the bonuses though.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: July 01, 2013, 12:58:31 PM »

looks like you just plug in your card's perks, and it compares them and tells you which card to use.    I could be wrong, but I don't want to sign up for an account right now just to check.

I set up an account (for free) without getting the actual card. It pulls in all your credit card accounts and then asks you some questions like your favorite hotel, where you are traveling in the next 2 years, and what rewards you value the most. Then there is an app that is supposed to detect what store you are at (by GPS) and suggest which card to use there. If you get the Wallaby card it basically does that for you and charges to the appropriate card and you only have to carry the one Wallaby card with you.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: July 01, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »
would have been pretty cool to be one of the first 1,000, who get lifetime card membership for free  :shakesfist:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: July 01, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »

so this card pretty much does for $50/year what steve dave already does for me out of the goodness in his heart?

Where did it say the $50/year fee? I never could find what they charge. My understand was that the app is free if you don't get the actual Wallaby card.

It would be like if SD was with you at all times telling you which card to use for which purchases. And if you get the Wallaby card, it would be like SD is holding all your credit cards for you and handing you the correct one so you don't even have to find the right card in your wallet.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: July 01, 2013, 01:31:13 PM »

Where did it say the $50/year fee? I never could find what they charge. My understand was that the app is free if you don't get the actual Wallaby card.

It would be like if SD was with you at all times telling you which card to use for which purchases. And if you get the Wallaby card, it would be like SD is holding all your credit cards for you and handing you the correct one so you don't even have to find the right card in your wallet.

steve dave pretty much does hold all my credit cards for me... hes my life planner.

i found it on the reviews:

The first 1,000 customers to sign up for the beta version of Wallaby will receive a lifetime membership benefit—it doesn’t specify, but I suspect it just means you’ll get the card for free. The next 5,000 individuals who sign up for the Wallaby wait list will get a fee-free card for 12 months. Everyone else will get 6 months free usage. After that, the card will carry a $50 annual fee. However, you can also apparently “move up the list” by Tweeting, Facebooking, inSharing Google +ing and Pinteresting the sign-up link.

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/06/wallaby-the-new-credit-card-spend-maximizer/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4020 on: July 01, 2013, 01:35:03 PM »
When an UR point is worth 4 cents that thing is going to have to get you a bunch of extra points to pay off. It's not hard to remember what to use. Really, if you keep a Sapphire preferred, ink and SPG card in your wallet you don't need anything else (other than for meeting min. spend.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: July 01, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »
When an UR point is worth 4 cents that thing is going to have to get you a bunch of extra points to pay off. It's not hard to remember what to use. Really, if you keep a Sapphire preferred, ink and SPG card in your wallet you don't need anything else (other than for meeting min. spend.

Can you direct me back to where you explained the UR points thing?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: July 01, 2013, 02:28:35 PM »

UR points are just the points you get from the Ink, Ink Bold, Sapphire and Sapphire preferred (and Freedom if you have it combined with one of those other ones). They transfer to United, Hyatt, Marriott, Korean, British, Priority Club, some other garbage. United and Hyatt are mostly what you'd ever transfer them to if you want to get the most bang for the buck though. They are probably the most valuable point imo. SPG would be the second most because they have pretty good value at SPG properties and transfer to most airlines with 5k bonus with every 20k transferred (except they only transfer 1:2 with United so not a good value there).

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: July 01, 2013, 03:04:51 PM »

UR points are just the points you get from the Ink, Ink Bold, Sapphire and Sapphire preferred (and Freedom if you have it combined with one of those other ones). They transfer to United, Hyatt, Marriott, Korean, British, Priority Club, some other garbage. United and Hyatt are mostly what you'd ever transfer them to if you want to get the most bang for the buck though. They are probably the most valuable point imo. SPG would be the second most because they have pretty good value at SPG properties and transfer to most airlines with 5k bonus with every 20k transferred (except they only transfer 1:2 with United so not a good value there).

Oh so you are just saying I should just use my Sapphire Preferred card for everything instead of trying to figure out which card to use at what stores?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: July 01, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »
No, depends what cards you have. The Sapphire gives 2 UR points for restaurants and airfare. The Ink cards give 5 for cable and phone bills and anything bought at office supply stores. Ink also have 2 points for gas and hotels. But, if you have those two it's not hard to figure out which card to use from there.