Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002176 times)

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3975 on: June 25, 2013, 01:00:08 PM »
so that chase hyatt card literally just gives you 2 free nights at any hyatt property?  like even the grand hyatts that are like $700/night?  that's ridiculous.  and plat status too.  man, what a card.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3976 on: June 25, 2013, 01:22:17 PM »
Yeah, if you have a special lady friend who also gets it you can park your ass at any Park Hyatt in the world for 4 nights.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: June 25, 2013, 01:25:25 PM »
Yeah, if you have a special lady friend who also gets it you can park your ass at any Park Hyatt in the world for 4 nights.

we'll be applying this year for them, will do 4 nights at grand Hyatt Kauai and 1-2 nights at st Regis princeville for our honeymoon next year.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: June 25, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »
Yes, great plan.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: June 25, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »
steve dave likes my plan guys  :D
emaw

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: June 25, 2013, 07:26:08 PM »
got my card yesterday, already charged 2500....

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: June 26, 2013, 12:14:24 PM »
have we talked about pointshound (have I made this exact post?)? I booked a couple rooms for a couple nights in Chicago for about $300 each at an Embassy Suites. Went through pointshound and got 500 United miles for first booking, 500 miles (each room) for some June bonus and 750 miles (each room) for regular that's just what they do points. on top of that my Hilton Gold status with United double up earning still applied. I'm going to end up with about 4,000 United miles and however many useless HH points I would have earned anyway just for booking $600 in hotel rooms for me and some bros.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: June 26, 2013, 01:19:41 PM »
have we talked about pointshound (have I made this exact post?)? I booked a couple rooms for a couple nights in Chicago for about $300 each at an Embassy Suites. Went through pointshound and got 500 United miles for first booking, 500 miles (each room) for some June bonus and 750 miles (each room) for regular that's just what they do points. on top of that my Hilton Gold status with United double up earning still applied. I'm going to end up with about 4,000 United miles and however many useless HH points I would have earned anyway just for booking $600 in hotel rooms for me and some bros.

I must be dense....so you book through PH and earn the miles/points on your CC and reward program, plus whatever your designated miles/points program is through PH?   What am I missing....how is PH giving you extra points?

and I assume super stud SD got the free Level 2 signup?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: June 26, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »

I must be dense....so you book through PH and earn the miles/points on your CC and reward program, plus whatever your designated miles/points program is through PH?   What am I missing....how is PH giving you extra points?

I don't know how they are doing it but they are doing it. Most of the major chains will allow you to book through them and still get your elite benefits and earning. but, if you are booking a boutique or something that isn't affiliated with a program you still get United (or whatever program you choose) points for booking those. I used to ignore PH because I wanted to earn points, stay credits, have status through the hotel program but they just added the option to earn both. Rocketmiles is another similar site but I don't think you earn stay credits, elite benefits and points with the hotel program using them.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: June 26, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »

I don't know how they are doing it but they are doing it. Most of the major chains will allow you to book through them and still get your elite benefits and earning. but, if you are booking a boutique or something that isn't affiliated with a program you still get United (or whatever program you choose) points for booking those. I used to ignore PH because I wanted to earn points, stay credits, have status through the hotel program but they just added the option to earn both. Rocketmiles is another similar site but I don't think you earn stay credits, elite benefits and points with the hotel program using them.

did you see the free Level 2 upgrade promo?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: June 26, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »
yeah, I am a level 2.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: June 26, 2013, 04:59:27 PM »

You still pay tax and maybe a small fee, right?  So, a $1,000/night room could cost you like $200/night?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: June 26, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
Nope, zero (with Hyatt). Other brands will still charge you fees though. Hyatt is BITB. No resort fees, no taxes, no booking fees.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: June 26, 2013, 06:16:37 PM »
Marriott has never charged me a fee when staying on points.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: June 26, 2013, 06:18:16 PM »

That's good. I don't actively pursue/use Marriott points though I'm going to start now given the Hilton devaluations. Also, many programs will charge taxes on overseas awards. Hyatt doesn't.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3990 on: June 26, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »
 :surprised: 

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: June 26, 2013, 07:04:23 PM »

Marriott is best in the biz. Booked a room a while back and it said I owed $1.75. They were all, we aren't going to charge you that Mr. SF.  :gocho:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: June 26, 2013, 08:56:26 PM »
i mostly stay downbudget.  choice, wyndham and ihg.  none have ever charged me anything on points stays.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: June 27, 2013, 06:08:59 AM »
Also chum, the most expensive Hyatt on points is only 22k Hyatt points. UR points transfer 1:1 to Hyatt so they are pretty easy to get.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: June 27, 2013, 06:58:54 AM »
i mostly stay downbudget.  choice, wyndham and ihg.  none have ever charged me anything on points stays.

yeah, none of those will usually have a "resort fee" or "service fee" on stays anway.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: June 27, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »
if you are ever going to buy something online run the merchent through this first:

http://www.evreward.com/

then you can choose which portal to go through. there are some pretty big swings between the portals. UR is my preferred but sometimes United's will have twice the points offered. very easy to use.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: June 27, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »
like, you get 8 UR points per $ spent at brooks brothers online (plus the regular cc points you would get). that's like 18% off (depending on how you value your points/miles).

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: June 28, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: June 28, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »
How amazing would this be  :excited:  :excited:

Wonder how high they will go?
http://auction.starwoodhotels.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=192787701&cgmenbr=67280009

very high. I have 80k SPG and I know that won't be nearly enough. I'd guess 300k-500k'ish.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: June 28, 2013, 04:36:40 PM »
Chef's table 9 course meal was about 300 a person when I was there.  I get that you meet TK and all, but I would not spend the points on it.  I would just go.