Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002781 times)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3850 on: May 29, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »
 :D
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: May 29, 2013, 01:46:29 PM »
I'm curious and this has probably been asked, but what would you say is your average return per card? 

I was thinking about my 2 SW cards.  I have a companion pass which I value at $300 per round trip.  I have approx 110k in miles which seem to have a value (on SW flights) of about $100 per 5k.  Assuming my average round trip comes to $300 as well, that is 7 vacations round trip.  With a companion, his brings the value of the two cards to $4200 or $2100 apiece.  I don't think my return on other cards is near this good, but was just curious about the experts.  On my Hawaiian card, my actual value received was somewhere around $600 or so.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: May 29, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
if you transferred your hawaiin miles to hilton today the actual return would be about $300. because hilton is a piece of crap. it's hard to put a figure on it. if you are using the points for the best bang for the buck you are getting a gigantic return. 62.5k AA miles can get you an international first ticket that would run you $5k+ but I wouldn't ever pay that for one if I was just buying it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: May 29, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »
chase freedom  :sdeek:
If you have a few 5% cash back cards you can almost guarantee your worst reward on any purchase will be 5%.  It would be a little bit of a pain to keep track of, but it's worth more than 1 airline point on a dollar when you aren't working toward a minimum spend at that moment.

that is bad advice and I'll tell you why. I think the freedom card is great but only if you have an Ulimate Reward card like the Sapphire/Ink cards. If you do you can link them and transfer the freedom points to UR points 1:1. I think the 5% is a nice bonus (though it's only on the first $1,500 spent per quarter in whatever the category is so its benefit is limited to 24k points annually over a standard UR earning card, still good though). an UR point is worth much more than cash back, unless you're a complete dumbass.

5 cents is worth more than 1 UR point. (or even 2 UR points).

But yeah, it's dependent on categories and the spending cap thing.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: May 29, 2013, 02:03:05 PM »
I spent 50k Hilton for the only available downtown Chicago hotell room a while back. Felt pretty good about that. Was a $506 room. Bit yeah Hilton now sucks dongs. Big ones.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: May 29, 2013, 02:04:49 PM »
chase freedom  :sdeek:
If you have a few 5% cash back cards you can almost guarantee your worst reward on any purchase will be 5%.  It would be a little bit of a pain to keep track of, but it's worth more than 1 airline point on a dollar when you aren't working toward a minimum spend at that moment.

that is bad advice and I'll tell you why. I think the freedom card is great but only if you have an Ulimate Reward card like the Sapphire/Ink cards. If you do you can link them and transfer the freedom points to UR points 1:1. I think the 5% is a nice bonus (though it's only on the first $1,500 spent per quarter in whatever the category is so its benefit is limited to 24k points annually over a standard UR earning card, still good though). an UR point is worth much more than cash back, unless you're a complete dumbass.

5 cents is worth more than 1 UR point. (or even 2 UR points).

But yeah, it's dependent on categories and the spending cap thing.

my point was that 5 UR points is worth more than 5 cents. (or maybe even 10 cents)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: May 29, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »
I spent 50k Hilton for the only available downtown Chicago hotell room a while back. Felt pretty good about that. Was a $506 room. Bit yeah Hilton now sucks dongs. Big ones.

that's a great redemption

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: May 29, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »

Yeah I was pretty excited. Did not want to have to lug crap back to ohare for a night. No hhonor or Marriott rooms for days and then boom a single room pops open. I grabbed it but continues to check. Nothing. Daris-1, everone else wanting to book late and stay in downtown Chicago-0.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: May 30, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »
Anyone ever use their SPG points for one of the SPG moments things?  Got an email about them today and finally looked into them.  Seems like it could be a pretty awesome deal if an event you really want to attend pops up.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: May 30, 2013, 11:22:27 AM »
Anyone ever use their SPG points for one of the SPG moments things?  Got an email about them today and finally looked into them.  Seems like it could be a pretty awesome deal if an event you really want to attend pops up.

no but the one to get tickets to the cubs in the all you can booze and eat suite was a pretty good redemption other than possibly being stuck with dorks who don't want to party.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: May 30, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »
It is our pleasure to offer you the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card featuring an exclusive limited time offer. Apply by June 30, 2013, and you will earn:

• 50,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months from account opening*

• 1 FREE night stay* (Category 1-4) after account approval

Apply today and as a Premier Cardmember, you'll also receive: 

• 1 additional FREE night stay (Category 1-5) every year after your account anniversary date* 
• Unlimited rewards accumulation including:
• 5 points for every $1 spent at over 3,600 Marriott® properties* 
• 2 points for every $1 spent on airline tickets when purchased directly with the airline, and at car rental agencies & restaurants* 
• 1 point for every $1 spent on purchases anywhere else* 
 • No foreign transaction fees† and enjoy global acceptance with Smart Chip technology 
• Guaranteed Silver Elite Status or better with 15 credits toward your Elite membership level every year after your account anniversary.* 
• Marriott Silver Elite Status benefits include:
    • 20% bonus on points for stays
    • Priority late checkout
    • Exclusive Elite offers and more
 • 1 additional Elite Credit for every $3,000 you spend on the card in purchases*
Plus, apply now and the introductory annual fee is $0 for the first year; thereafter $85!†

are marriot points worth anything? is this good? I don't see anyone bragging about them so probably not?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: May 30, 2013, 03:23:48 PM »
It is our pleasure to offer you the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card featuring an exclusive limited time offer. Apply by June 30, 2013, and you will earn:

• 50,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months from account opening*

• 1 additional FREE night stay (Category 1-5) every year after your account anniversary date* 
• 2 points for every $1 spent on airline tickets when purchased directly with the airline, and at car rental agencies & restaurants* 
 • No foreign transaction fees† and enjoy global acceptance with Smart Chip technology 
• Guaranteed Silver Elite Status or better with 15 credits toward your Elite membership level every year after your account anniversary.* 
    • Priority late checkout
 • 1 additional Elite Credit for every $3,000 you spend on the card in purchases*
Plus, apply now and the introductory annual fee is $0 for the first year; thereafter $85!†

are marriot points worth anything? is this good? I don't see anyone bragging about them so probably not?
not really worth a chase app...unless you've burned through most of the other chase cards I guess.  I would find the link for the 80,000 point priority club card before the marriott.  priority club card also gives you a free night stay at any of their properties every year, which includes intercontinental.  marriott's free night is only for cat 1-4...which are generally pretty shitty. 
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: May 30, 2013, 03:28:05 PM »
there is usually a 70k Marriott app floating around but not sure if there is right now. so I wouldn't apply for it at that bonus. Marriott points are much more valuable than Hilton points but much less valuable than SPG/Hyatt. roughly the same as PC points I would say.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: May 30, 2013, 03:29:16 PM »
phew, thanks

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: May 30, 2013, 03:30:32 PM »

Yeah I was pretty excited. Did not want to have to lug crap back to ohare for a night. No hhonor or Marriott rooms for days and then boom a single room pops open. I grabbed it but continues to check. Nothing. Daris-1, everone else wanting to book late and stay in downtown Chicago-0.
there was a trade show in town :fatty:
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: May 30, 2013, 03:31:50 PM »
the 70k marriott app is a pretty good one though.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: May 30, 2013, 04:50:05 PM »
I'm not following a few of these remarks regarding not getting two cards from the same bank.  Like, I got a Chase Sapphire with the intention of using the miles for a one way United ticket.  I was planning to get a Chase United MileagePlus card to use for the return ticket.  (I have no good reason for using United for both one way tickets, it was just the strategy I plotted out in my mind.) Is there an issue with this?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3867 on: May 30, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »
No, you just normally can't apply for both cards at once. You can have tons of open chase card accounts though. They will restrict how many you can have by a max available credit figure which you can move around if they ever decline you for a card.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: May 30, 2013, 05:50:14 PM »
Thanks! 

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: June 04, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »
chase freedom is the most pud looking card ive ever seen. meeting the spending bonus and then taking this thing out of my wallet. gross.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3870 on: June 04, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »
chase freedom is the most pud looking card ive ever seen. meeting the spending bonus and then taking this thing out of my wallet. gross.

Isn't this the fella that is like a week removed from Cap One cards :lol:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: June 04, 2013, 09:11:21 PM »

• Priority late checkout

Marriott points are pretty good. I am a dumbass and got the 50k card for the hell of it. I wanted to get over the million hump so I got it. Didn't know about the 70k one.  :chainsaw:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: June 05, 2013, 08:45:54 AM »
 :excited:

First the Venetian/PC, then Cosmo/Marriott, then Trop/Hilton, now this stud news:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewanderingaramean/2013/06/hyatt-mgm-announce-huge-new-partnership/

Hyatt Gold Passport members will earn 5 points per dollar spent on both the room rate and incidental spending (only up to the first $5,000 per stay) at M life resort properties. Platinum and Diamond elites will earn 15% and 30% bonus, respectively, on top of the base earning. Oh, and the earning is additive with the M life program; you can earn in both programs at the same time.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: June 05, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
definitely not worth spending points to stay

Category 2
Excalibur

Category 3
Luxor

Category 4
Monte Carlo
New York-New York

Category 5
MGM Grand
The Signature at MGM Grand
Vdara
The Mirage

Category 6
ARIA
Bellagio
Mandalay Bay
THEhotel at Mandalay Bay

but the 5 points earned per $ spent and status matching is pretty great.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: June 05, 2013, 12:41:37 PM »
you know what else makes Hyatt points BITB? you can transfer them freely between anyone. SPG points can be transferred to household members but Hyatt can be transferred to anyone that wants them with no charge.