Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1003400 times)

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3825 on: May 21, 2013, 01:24:20 PM »
I just ran into daraius at wal-mart!  actually I first saw him at dillon's in lawrence doing the same thing I was...buying a gift card...but I wasn't 100% sure it was him.  then I saw him whip out his camera and I knew for sure.  anyway...I went home and activated the pin on my gift card and proceeded to drive to wal-mart to load my bluebird and THERE HE WAS DOING THE SAME THING!  :runaway:

at that point I had to introduce myself. he told me there was a new card that he was testing out with the gift card/bluebird reload.  we chatted for a bit while we were waiting in line.  I didn't realize he lives in lawrence JUST A FEW BLOCKS FROM ME!  :runaway:

anyway, we'll probably be best buds now and fly all over the world first class and take a bunch of sweet pics. :driving:

btw...he's even more adorable in person.  :D

Nice shout out in million mile secrets today rams! I still can't believe he lives in Lawrence :facepalm:

ummm, don't you live in topeka? i mean that's not even pot/kettle type stuff. lawrence is pretty great.
I'm not hating the town (or trying to defend Topeka) I'm just :facepalm: ing the fact that the guy runs a travel blog and he has to drive a hour to get to a major airport. He'd be better off living in Manhattan (for multiple reasons)
I'm purple down

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3826 on: May 21, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »
I just ran into daraius at wal-mart!  actually I first saw him at dillon's in lawrence doing the same thing I was...buying a gift card...but I wasn't 100% sure it was him.  then I saw him whip out his camera and I knew for sure.  anyway...I went home and activated the pin on my gift card and proceeded to drive to wal-mart to load my bluebird and THERE HE WAS DOING THE SAME THING!  :runaway:

at that point I had to introduce myself. he told me there was a new card that he was testing out with the gift card/bluebird reload.  we chatted for a bit while we were waiting in line.  I didn't realize he lives in lawrence JUST A FEW BLOCKS FROM ME!  :runaway:

anyway, we'll probably be best buds now and fly all over the world first class and take a bunch of sweet pics. :driving:

Nice shout out in million mile secrets today rams! I still can't believe he lives in Lawrence :facepalm:

ummm, don't you live in topeka? i mean that's not even pot/kettle type stuff. lawrence is pretty great.
I'm not hating the town (or trying to defend Topeka) I'm just :facepalm: ing the fact that the guy runs a travel blog and he has to drive a hour to get to a major airport. He'd be better off living in Manhattan (for multiple reasons)

well half of the people that live in kc also have to drive an hour to get to a major airport so i'm still not exactly sure what you are getting at. oh well though. i bet he and rams both live close to each other too. i'm guessing 6th and kasold area if i were a betting man.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3827 on: May 21, 2013, 09:41:03 PM »
SD probably already answered but what is your standard waiting time between application cycles?  I need to dump my two SWA cards so I can churn them back in a couple years and keep the companion pass coming.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3828 on: May 21, 2013, 10:50:23 PM »

well half of the people that live in kc also have to drive an hour to get to a major airport so i'm still not exactly sure what you are getting at. oh well though. i bet he and rams both live close to each other too. i'm guessing 6th and kasold area if i were a betting man.
farther west, but close enough. he's only a few blocks from me. :D
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3829 on: May 22, 2013, 08:32:47 AM »
SD probably already answered but what is your standard waiting time between application cycles?  I need to dump my two SWA cards so I can churn them back in a couple years and keep the companion pass coming.

Generally you should wait 90 days between application cycles, and then apply for as many cards as you can meet the minimum spend for on a single day (making sure that you apply for cards from different banks). Chase cards are not churnable (you have to wait a couple years or maybe longer to get the same card). You should apply for a different chase card and if you get instantly approved then great, if they give you trouble about having too many chase cards, offer to close one of the old chase cards and move the credit from that card to your new card.
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: May 22, 2013, 08:34:15 AM »
yeah, you won't be able to get those SW cards again in a couple years. prolly, like, 6 years or so if they still exist. or if they change the card in a major way and it becomes a "new" product.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: May 22, 2013, 09:28:02 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm sure something will change by 2015 when I need to get it again.

About to 90 days since I applied for those so time to get going.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: May 22, 2013, 02:36:28 PM »
Got my 50K AA miles!  :excited: Should I cancel this card? (platinum AA Card)

I'm no SD but I'm up to 150K miles/points now. Thanks goEMAW.com

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: May 22, 2013, 03:08:39 PM »

protip- sd isn't even sd anymore. i have more miles than him.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: May 22, 2013, 03:17:16 PM »

protip- sd isn't even sd anymore. i have more miles than him.

That's great Rick Daris.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3835 on: May 22, 2013, 04:07:19 PM »
I spent over a million miles in the last 12 months :sdeek:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: May 22, 2013, 04:24:14 PM »
I spent over a million miles in the last 12 months :sdeek:

Holy crap

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3837 on: May 22, 2013, 04:33:48 PM »
Hyatt Kauai for 8 nights: 176k Hyatt
AA RT Kauai x 2: 75k AA
Delta RT Savannah 1st: 75k Delta
Andaz Savannah for 2 nights: 30k Hyatt
AA to London 1st x 2: 125k AA
5 nights Waldorf London: 200k HH
5 nights HI Paris: 125k PC
Lufty Paris to home biz x 2: 100k UA
SW RT to Vegas x 3: 50'ish SW
HGI Wichita 3 nights: 90k HH
4 total RTs to Chicago: 36k avios
3 nights The Wit Chicago: 150k HH

Probably a couple more townie uses
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:41:21 PM by steve dave »

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: May 22, 2013, 10:53:27 PM »
Discover It card came in the mail today. Still haven't heard anything from the other cards including the two chase cards I applied for like an idiot.

I'll get the minimum spend knocked out pretty quickly and then start getting 5% cash back for gas purchases in June-August and then move onto another card.

It's a start...
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: May 29, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
Just paid for my new roof with a credit card  :excited:

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: May 29, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
Just paid for my new roof with a credit card  :excited:
New roof? Shouldn't you just have sold your house and bought a new house with your credit card?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: May 29, 2013, 10:48:08 AM »
40k bonus AA citi card on tv commercials: Is it legit? AA points seem ideal with the MHK factor.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: May 29, 2013, 10:58:46 AM »
40k bonus AA citi card on tv commercials: Is it legit? AA points seem ideal with the MHK factor.
50k bonus if you use the link that was posted a few pages back.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: May 29, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »
Discover It card came in the mail today. Still haven't heard anything from the other cards including the two chase cards I applied for like an idiot.

I'll get the minimum spend knocked out pretty quickly and then start getting 5% cash back for gas purchases in June-August and then move onto another card.

It's a start...

Chase called to explain a few things... didn't get the SW card like i wanted but they approved me for chase freedom. pretty meh to have two cash back cards with the same rates and stuff but i can meet the minimum spend on both of them and they have no annual fee.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: May 29, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »
chase freedom  :sdeek:

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: May 29, 2013, 11:48:05 AM »
If you have a few 5% cash back cards you can almost guarantee your worst reward on any purchase will be 5%.  It would be a little bit of a pain to keep track of, but it's worth more than 1 airline point on a dollar when you aren't working toward a minimum spend at that moment.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: May 29, 2013, 11:59:57 AM »
If you have a few 5% cash back cards you can almost guarantee your worst reward on any purchase will be 5%.  It would be a little bit of a pain to keep track of, but it's worth more than 1 airline point on a dollar when you aren't working toward a minimum spend at that moment.

that is bad advice and I'll tell you why. I think the freedom card is great but only if you have an Ulimate Reward card like the Sapphire/Ink cards. If you do you can link them and transfer the freedom points to UR points 1:1. I think the 5% is a nice bonus (though it's only on the first $1,500 spent per quarter in whatever the category is so its benefit is limited to 24k points annually over a standard UR earning card, still good though). an UR point is worth much more than cash back, unless you're a complete dumbass.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: May 29, 2013, 12:15:10 PM »
What about if you keep getting declined for the good cards like KSC here?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: May 29, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »
steve dave just tell me what to do. keep all the chase points until i get a sapphire card?

k_m, most of the declines have been because i havent started paying on my student loans yet. they say the biggest loan in my name hasnt had any payments... makes sense.

in a few months ill have steve dave (life planner) give me a few cards to take aim at and well go from there.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: May 29, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »
steve dave just tell me what to do. keep all the chase points until i get a sapphire card?

k_m, most of the declines have been because i havent started paying on my student loans yet. they say the biggest loan in my name hasnt had any payments... makes sense.

in a few months ill have steve dave (life planner) give me a few cards to take aim at and well go from there.

yes to the top thing. chase should consider you for a Sapphire later in the year.