Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 983005 times)

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2010, 01:40:35 PM »
Staying in a Hilton in DC this summer.  Anything here? 

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2010, 01:56:44 PM »
Staying in a Hilton in DC this summer.  Anything here? 

Hilton Miles are hard to use anymore.  Almost all the major city locations are going to be 40-50k a night.  I just spent the last of our Hilton miles to go to Napa/San Fran this coming weekend and I don't see myself working to get more of them when there is a Starwood hotel available. 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2010, 05:20:34 PM »
Pretty easy miles with no credit worries.  Open a Chase checking account and make 5 debit card purchases and earn 10k Continental miles.  Open with a preferred debit card and make a purchase with it and get an additional 15k.  The preferred card costs $25 a year and you get your first checked bag free if you have it.  25k is enough for one domestic round trip on continental or one of their partners.  I think you can use them for United flights too.  Continental is the only carrier that flys nonstop from Omaha to NYC so I kinda like them though that's pretty much the only flight I ever fly Continental for.

https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/shared/marketing/page/Continental_Consumer_9938

One downside is you have to print off the certificate and actually take it to a Chase branch to sign up.   There isn't a single Chase within 50 miles of Omaha. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:23:37 PM by steve dave »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2010, 06:06:30 PM »
One downside is you have to print off the certificate and actually take it to a Chase branch to sign up.

:runaway:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2010, 07:15:56 AM »
http://frugaltravelguy.blogspot.com/2010/05/our-next-great-card-offer-with-no.html

Never had a non-affiliated travel card before.  May do this as apparently you can transfer the 25k to any program which is pretty damn convenient. 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2010, 07:32:38 AM »
This one is interesting because it's not attached to any one carrier (also because fff likes the commercials).  They have a special to get 25k Chase points if you spend $3k in 3 months.  While that's only enough for 1 domestic ticket it has advantages in that you can use it on any airline for any available seat.  Most airlines will only have a certain number of seats on each flight available for miles redemption.  Some (Delta, United, American (using AA miles and not BA)) seem to have more available than others (Frontier, AA using BA miles  :chainsaw: ).  Anyway, it's only one free domestic as opposed to the 2 with the United deal or 4 with the BA deal but will come in handy if you want to go somewhere expensive or on short notice.  Also, no fee for the first year.

http://www.getchasesapphire.com/preferred/25flight/?CELL=6H8X&AFFID=d9D3Sr3Tcmk-foqaVFTEcfKqoOlDR3VWMA

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2010, 07:50:04 AM »
This one is interesting because it's not attached to any one carrier (also because fff likes the commercials).  They have a special to get 25k Chase points if you spend $3k in 3 months.  While that's only enough for 1 domestic ticket it has advantages in that you can use it on any airline for any available seat.  Most airlines will only have a certain number of seats on each flight available for miles redemption.  Some (Delta, United, American (using AA miles and not BA)) seem to have more available than others (Frontier, AA using BA miles  :chainsaw: ).  Anyway, it's only one free domestic as opposed to the 2 with the United deal or 4 with the BA deal but will come in handy if you want to go somewhere expensive or on short notice.  Also, no fee for the first year.

http://www.getchasesapphire.com/preferred/25flight/?CELL=6H8X&AFFID=d9D3Sr3Tcmk-foqaVFTEcfKqoOlDR3VWMA

i read somewhere (re:flying american using ba miles) that it is better to search the aa website for available flights and then call ba on the phone. it has something to do w/ the ba site not shwoing aa flights that use connections to get you where you want to go or something weird like that. anyway, i think that as long as the american site is showing available seats at the lowest rate (12.5 for domestic one way, etc.) then i think you can get it by calling in. not sure if this helps you or if it's actually true.

also, that united 50,000 miles deal that used to be phone in only and is now dead is apparently now available for sign up on the internets...

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=CY8S#

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2010, 08:02:23 AM »
i read somewhere (re:flying american using ba miles) that it is better to search the aa website for available flights and then call ba on the phone. it has something to do w/ the ba site not shwoing aa flights that use connections to get you where you want to go or something weird like that. anyway, i think that as long as the american site is showing available seats at the lowest rate (12.5 for domestic one way, etc.) then i think you can get it by calling in. not sure if this helps you or if it's actually true.

This is very good to know. 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2010, 07:03:06 AM »
Good hotel card sign up bonus.  If you have never had the Visa Signature Marriott Card you can sign up now and get 50k points for your first purchase.  You also get a fee night stay coupon for a cat. 1-4 hotel.  50k is enough for 5 nights in the Manhattan Fairfield Inn (and with the Cat. 1-4 coupon you could get a sixth).  50k will also get you 2 nights in either Kauai or Oahu.  It is noramally 30k sign up bonus.  You do have to pay the annual fee of $65 iirc but it isn't much for what you get (imo).

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=CQJC&CELL=6JXN&AFFID=&CLICK=&CID=&PROMO=DF01

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 27, 2010, 07:49:31 AM »
Good hotel card sign up bonus.  If you have never had the Visa Signature Marriott Card you can sign up now and get 50k points for your first purchase.  You also get a fee night stay coupon for a cat. 1-4 hotel.  50k is enough for 5 nights in the Manhattan Fairfield Inn (and with the Cat. 1-4 coupon you could get a sixth).  50k will also get you 2 nights in either Kauai or Oahu.  It is noramally 30k sign up bonus.  You do have to pay the annual fee of $65 iirc but it isn't much for what you get (imo).

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=CQJC&CELL=6JXN&AFFID=&CLICK=&CID=&PROMO=DF01

man. that's really good. a year ago it was 20k and a free cat 1-4.  :frown:

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2010, 08:26:30 AM »

Could this be pulled off if in time to check into the Marriott in OKC for free tomorrow afternoon?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2010, 08:29:17 AM »
Are there any good cards that don't have an annual fee? Anytime it lists an annual fee I feel a cold, shiver down my spine and can't bring myself to sign up.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 27, 2010, 08:32:20 AM »

Could this be pulled off if in time to check into the Marriott in OKC for free tomorrow afternoon?

No, you have to wait 15-30 days to receive the card and make a purchase :dunno:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 27, 2010, 08:33:09 AM »
Are there any good cards that don't have an annual fee? Anytime it lists an annual fee I feel a cold, shiver down my spine and can't bring myself to sign up.

ya, a lot will waive it for the first year.  You just have to remember to cancel it before the first year is up. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 27, 2010, 08:39:16 AM »

ya, a lot will waive it for the first year.  You just have to remember to cancel it before the first year is up. 

most actually will, but super insane deals like this one and that BA one are worth the sixty or seventy bucks to me.

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • Worst Non-KSU grad school KU poster on goEMAW.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 27, 2010, 09:13:05 AM »

I believe USAA Banking is open to everyone.  Their rewards credit card is the best.  No annual fee, 1 point for every dollar purchased.  Got two free tickets to Hawaii one time from the points.  They can also be converted into cash back, or redeemed for merchandise and gift cards.  I would really look into it.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=banking_credit_cards_world_mastercard
Message Board Samurai

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2010, 02:27:17 PM »
If you can't keep track of all your reward programs I recommend using awardwallet.com.  I am tracking 19 different programs on it.  It shows your balance, travel plans with each carrier and your miles expiration date.  Very easy to set up and use. 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 26, 2010, 12:00:22 PM »
really, really good southwest deal.

http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/southwest/DenverSpecialOffer

Wow, other than being SW that is pretty amazing. The 8 credits for balance transfers is garbage but the $500 gift card is ridic. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2010, 03:21:32 PM »
really, really good southwest deal.

http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/southwest/DenverSpecialOffer

Wow, other than being SW that is pretty amazing. The 8 credits for balance transfers is garbage but the $500 gift card is ridic. 

yeah. the balance transfer stuff is pretty stupid. basically three roundtrips for $59 and 5k spend in first three months though (assuming southwest roundtirp flight of $250). southwest also flies into and out of vegas a ton too, so i guess it'd be good for that.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2010, 01:24:45 AM »
I was doing some research on this stuff and am trying to plan out a trip next year in which I would like to use points to pay for chunks of.  Am I correct in learning through my online research that, even though theyre called miles, they work nothing like miles for any of these cards?  Theyre all pretty much part of a points system?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2010, 01:54:11 AM »
I was doing some research on this stuff and am trying to plan out a trip next year in which I would like to use points to pay for chunks of.  Am I correct in learning through my online research that, even though theyre called miles, they work nothing like miles for any of these cards?  Theyre all pretty much part of a points system?

yes.

example... 25,000 american airlines miles will get you roundtrip anywhere in continental usa, just like a certain number of priority club or starwood points will get get you a certain hotel, etc. there are only so many seats designated for reward points/miles though, so depending on where you are going, you might have to book pretty far in advance.

another example....wife wants to go to ny this fall. still plenty of oppys for her to do this out of mhk via aa. if she wanted to go somewhere else, maybe not. it's very city to city and day dependant. you can search for what is available. people who are in a good position to take advantage of this (a pretty insidery aa joke :lol:) and don't are pretty dumb. dumb, dumb, dumb.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2010, 08:49:34 AM »

yes.

example... 25,000 american airlines miles will get you roundtrip anywhere in continental usa, just like a certain number of priority club or starwood points will get get you a certain hotel, etc. there are only so many seats designated for reward points/miles though, so depending on where you are going, you might have to book pretty far in advance.

another example....wife wants to go to ny this fall. still plenty of oppys for her to do this out of mhk via aa. if she wanted to go somewhere else, maybe not. it's very city to city and day dependant. you can search for what is available. people who are in a good position to take advantage of this (a pretty insidery aa joke :lol:) and don't are pretty dumb. dumb, dumb, dumb.

OMG LOL  ;)