Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004206 times)

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3350 on: January 22, 2013, 11:57:31 AM »
so I'm thinking about using usair miles to book a flight to cabo.  the best flights I found are through the united site where I would fly united there and us air back (short flights so I'm not gonna burn more points to upgrade to biz or first).  my question is if I fly united down there and have the united card would I get the free checked bag even though I'm using usair miles?  neither of us have the united card yet but I just signed up for united program and transferred 1k ur points so now I'm getting the 50k offer and can get the card now if it makes sense. 

seems like the obvious answer would be yes but now that I've started looking at using air miles to book through other airlines and having to use other sites for availability it's all kind of getting confusing.  :runaway: :embarrassed: also not looking forward to my noob call to usair to try and book the flight.  :ohno:

no. and lol at checking a bag to Cabo. you going for a month?
5 nights and probably 5 or 6 bottles of wine. also, wife. :dunno:

i'm pretty sure they sell wine in cabo  :dunno:
shitty wine though, right?  sounds like you can get middle of the road chilean but that's about it.  have you been there and do you drink wine?  I dunno, I'm just going off of what I've read on trip advisor and stuff. def willing to pay the $50 round trip for the checked bag and drink good wine.  :dunno:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: January 22, 2013, 12:01:25 PM »
so I'm thinking about using usair miles to book a flight to cabo.  the best flights I found are through the united site where I would fly united there and us air back (short flights so I'm not gonna burn more points to upgrade to biz or first).  my question is if I fly united down there and have the united card would I get the free checked bag even though I'm using usair miles?  neither of us have the united card yet but I just signed up for united program and transferred 1k ur points so now I'm getting the 50k offer and can get the card now if it makes sense. 

seems like the obvious answer would be yes but now that I've started looking at using air miles to book through other airlines and having to use other sites for availability it's all kind of getting confusing.  :runaway: :embarrassed: also not looking forward to my noob call to usair to try and book the flight.  :ohno:

are you aware your wife can bring her own carry on?
wow I hadn't considered that before.  :dubious:

there's no way she's getting 6 days worth of crap in a carry-on.  her bathroom bag alone is the size of a rough ridin' carry-on.  can we move on?
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: January 22, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »

i'm pretty sure they sell wine in cabo  :dunno:
shitty wine though, right?  sounds like you can get middle of the road chilean but that's about it.  have you been there and do you drink wine?  I dunno, I'm just going off of what I've read on trip advisor and stuff. def willing to pay the $50 round trip for the checked bag and drink good wine.  :dunno:

never been to cabo and wine is just fine but i don't super get into it or pretend like i know much about it. i do like trying all sorts of different local products and shopping at local grocery stores whenever i go somewhere different though. the shopping for wine and trying it would be half the fun for me. it's also a pretty major destination vacation place for people who live in california also so i'm just assuming you could pretty much get whatever you want. traveling somewhere far away and bringing your own food/wine just seems kin of odd to me. dunno.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: January 22, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »

are you aware your wife can bring her own carry on?
wow I hadn't considered that before.  :dubious:

there's no way she's getting 6 days worth of crap in a carry-on.  her bathroom bag alone is the size of a rough ridin' carry-on.  can we move on?

you both should get better at travelling then would be my advice. hth

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: January 22, 2013, 12:52:43 PM »
so I would need to do a couple of churns of AA cards to get the 150k for two first class RT tickets to Hawaii? get the citi 50k personal and business and then churn six months later or so?

I just got the spg card, will probably have 35k or so starpoints by this time next year. what's another way to get more starpoints?  just scrolling through their options it looks like 15k-20k a night, with 5th night free so probably need another 50k or so starpoints to do a 5 night stay I guess?  never used spg points so I have no idea how they work. looking at probably Kauai here...St Regis Princeville looks amazing but only a garden view room for 16k a night, and it says I can't use points for any other room :(

Yes, St. Regis Princeville is boss. But, it isn't worth the points unless you are getting the fifth night free and you would need 80k to get there. Your best bet is to stay at the Hyatt in Poipu. Get the Hyatt card and a couple different Chase UR earning cards and you can stay there for 7 days or so. It's an elite property. The SPG points probably have a better value being used at other properties. The Maui Westin/Sheraton are both 12k a night and are better than the Kauaui Sheraton. You seem to be working for two people to travel but doing all the lifting. Is the GF/Fiance/Wife not helping? That's what makes it doable. When I say I'm getting some card in here I almost always mean I'm getting it and Mrs. dave is getting it. Let me know when you've booked this trip and I will give you your entire own elite level insider pro-tip filled itenerary.

I was actually looking at the grand Hyatt after posting that last night, so seems like a good route.  is it just the ink, freedom and sapphire that earn UR?  I probably just need to get one some of the churning websites and start reading about how to do this stuff rather than bug you guys in here.

will let you know when booked, prob still a ways away as we don't even have a date set yet, but both of us know we want to go to Kauai which is why I started looking into it already. from reading reviews and wikitravel it seems like an amazing island.

and yeah if it's necessary I'll have her apply for cards as well. this is probably a rookie question, but how do I get all the points into one account so I can book everything?  For example, I already have an AAdvantage account with a few thousand miles, am I able to give them that account number when I sign up for the card, or will the points automatically go into a new account?  with chase UR I assume I can just transfer those to my Hyatt account?
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: January 22, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »
You can't combine the points. you will need two seperate reservations. you CAN combine some points from programs (SPG comes to mind) once you are married.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: January 23, 2013, 12:31:43 PM »
so I called the amex hilton number yesterday and booked an axon award for july and got this email for some reason.  anybody have any idea what this might be for?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: January 23, 2013, 12:33:25 PM »
it's nothing but hold onto it until after the reservation. HH used to require you to print out that everytime you made a reservation. They don't anymore but you will probably want to hold onto it until after the reservation anyway. They still send them on GLON/AXON awards for some reason.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: January 23, 2013, 12:45:42 PM »
it's nothing but hold onto it until after the reservation. HH used to require you to print out that everytime you made a reservation. They don't anymore but you will probably want to hold onto it until after the reservation anyway. They still send them on GLON/AXON awards for some reason.
oh. so it's for the reservation I just made and not an additional 4 nights I can use.  :frown:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: January 23, 2013, 12:51:33 PM »
I'm going to have a million marriott points in my account next month.    :horrorsurprise:

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: January 23, 2013, 12:51:57 PM »
Raquetcat did you ever get to companion with SW? I just got my first 50k pts credited, didnt hit the spend on card #2 before the first billing period ended so i will have to wait another month  :frown:

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: January 23, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »
I'm going to have a million marriott points in my account next month.    :horrorsurprise:
:horrorsurprise: what? how?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: January 23, 2013, 12:54:52 PM »
:horrorsurprise: what? how?

I stay at a lot of Marriott hotels  :dunno:

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3363 on: January 23, 2013, 01:49:48 PM »
Raquetcat did you ever get to companion with SW? I just got my first 50k pts credited, didnt hit the spend on card #2 before the first billing period ended so i will have to wait another month  :frown:

I've completed the spend on both cards, but my statement date isn't until the end of January/early February so I'm assuming my 100k points will hit then. Then I'll transfer some marriott rewards to SW and I should be good. Don't worry I'll definitely brag in this thread once it's official. Waiting is the worst :frown:
I'm purple down

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: January 24, 2013, 07:43:36 PM »
I've had the chase marriott for about 11 months, this is the third time I've called to cancel the card and the third time they've given me 5000 points after I make 15 purchases  :party:  :gocho:
I'm purple down

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: January 28, 2013, 08:57:17 PM »
Just finishing up my spends on the two southwest cards. Is there something new I should do next or would signing up for so many in the last few months mess up credit. Only had one crap card before this. Just paid off car this month.  Have had house n job for 3 yrs refinanced a year ago.

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: January 28, 2013, 10:00:39 PM »

I've completed the spend on both cards, but my statement date isn't until the end of January/early February so I'm assuming my 100k points will hit then. Then I'll transfer some marriott rewards to SW and I should be good. Don't worry I'll definitely brag in this thread once it's official. Waiting is the worst :frown:

I've got the 50k points, how do you get the 2nd 50k?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: January 28, 2013, 11:04:43 PM »
SPG Category 2  :emawkid:

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3769

balls, that's the week after fake pats. smart move by management really. will just have to sleep in the streets I guess.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3370 on: January 29, 2013, 06:08:00 AM »
Nice

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: January 29, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »

I've got the 50k points, how do you get the 2nd 50k?

Sign up for the business one or I ended up getting both the premier and plus cards somehow.  One is blue and the other is black. 

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: January 30, 2013, 08:26:09 AM »
sounds like the citi 2 browser days are over.  :frown:  man...if citi starts cracking down it's really gonna suck.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: January 31, 2013, 07:58:42 PM »
Just finishing up my spends on the two southwest cards. Is there something new I should do next or would signing up for so many in the last few months mess up credit. Only had one crap card before this. Just paid off car this month.  Have had house n job for 3 yrs refinanced a year ago.
Thinking hotel unless there's another good airline card for overseas travel.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: January 31, 2013, 08:11:13 PM »
sounds like the citi 2 browser days are over.  :frown:  man...if citi starts cracking down it's really gonna suck.

what?   :curse: