Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1005314 times)

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3300 on: January 16, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »
my spg card came  :love:
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: January 17, 2013, 07:23:44 AM »
You are both Gov. employees. Click that and you have a room there for $199. Don't you dare spend 12k for a $199 room.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: January 17, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »
girl at mr gyros: that'll be $10.24
gfa: I'll use my AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD
girl: omg its great
gfa: I know!
emaw

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3303 on: January 17, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »
You are both Gov. employees. Click that and you have a room there for $199. Don't you dare spend 12k for a $199 room.

How do I do that?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3304 on: January 17, 2013, 08:26:52 PM »

How do I do that?

Compare rates and click the gov employee rate

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: January 17, 2013, 08:33:11 PM »

How do I do that?

be prepared to show gov id at check in and they will not hold your specific room type for you since you're not paying full rate. you'll have a room but they may give you 2 doubles even if you reserve a king/queen or vice versa.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: January 17, 2013, 08:42:51 PM »
friend of mine booked us rooms at the MHK holiday inn and said he was a state employee. was all smug about it until we showed up and they asked him what he did and for his state employee ID. ended up paying full rate.  :facepalm:
emaw

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: January 17, 2013, 08:43:25 PM »

How do I do that?

be prepared to show gov id at check in and they will not hold your specific room type for you since you're not paying full rate. you'll have a room but they may give you 2 doubles even if you reserve a king/queen or vice versa.

hi guys. here is a little info about govt rates... sometimes they are higher and sometimes they are lower. occasionally they are the same. a hotel should never, ever give you a dif/less room than what you booked though just because you booked it with a govt rate. never. ever. if they did then give me their name, your name and your res # and we will fistucuff w/ them.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: January 17, 2013, 08:45:07 PM »
friend of mine booked us rooms at the MHK holiday inn and said he was a state employee. was all smug about it until we showed up and they asked him what he did and for his state employee ID. ended up paying full rate.  :facepalm:

yeah. you should have id if you are picking that rate. most don't ask though. 90% don't.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: January 17, 2013, 08:46:11 PM »

yeah. you should have id if you are picking that rate. most don't ask though. 90% don't.

probably had a lot to do with the fact that the MHK holiday inn is a piece of crap hotel run by assholes.
emaw

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: January 17, 2013, 08:54:57 PM »

How do I do that?

hi guys. here is a little info about govt rates... sometimes they are higher and sometimes they are lower. occasionally they are the same. a hotel should never, ever give you a dif/less room than what you booked though just because you booked it with a govt rate. never. ever. if they did then give me their name, your name and your res # and we will fistucuff w/ them.

A lot of hotels say that room type isn't guaranteed for online reservations.  Rarely would they change it and no guest is going to give a crap if there was fine print or not, but they will tell that to you.  If they have to move crap around, the cheapest rates are going to get mumped first.  Giving a gov rate half off (when they may not care since they may not be paying) vs a half off a full rate will be cheaper.

Sorry the people at the MHK HI did their jobs :dunno: Did you try it on a game weekend or some other busy times?  If they're really slow, a lot of hotels will say eff it as they would rather have the discount rate than no business.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: January 17, 2013, 08:58:54 PM »

How do I do that?

A lot of hotels say that room type isn't guaranteed for online reservations.  Rarely would they change it and no guest is going to give a crap if there was fine print or not, but they will tell that to you.  If they have to move crap around, the cheapest rates are going to get mumped first.  Giving a gov rate half off (when they may not care since they may not be paying) vs a half off a full rate will be cheaper.

Sorry the people at the MHK HI did their jobs :dunno: Did you try it on a game weekend or some other busy times?  If they're really slow, a lot of hotels will say eff it as they would rather have the discount rate than no business.

it was in June of last year, place was dead
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:03:41 PM by GoodForAnother »
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: January 18, 2013, 07:41:01 AM »
GFA, shut up.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: January 18, 2013, 09:09:41 AM »

How do I do that?

this is exactly what happened to me and my bro at the adolphus hotel in dallas last year for the cotton bowl.  he used his gov id and got a lower rate and reserved a room with 2 doubles.  when we showed up they gave us a tiny room with a queen.  we bitched for a while and even asked for a manager and that is exactly what they told us.  they were completely booked and we booked online and room type wasn't guaranteed so they bumped us because we paid a cheaper rate. I mean I don't remember if they specifically told us that's why they mumped us but it was pretty obvious.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: January 18, 2013, 10:07:20 AM »
you shut up, SD!   :curse:
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3315 on: January 18, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
New SPG cash and point redemptions:

?Category 1: 1,500 points + $30 (an increase of 300 points and $5)
?Category 2: 2,000 points + $35 (an increase of 400 points and $5)
?Category 3: 3,500 points + $55 (an increase of 500 points and $5)
?Category 4: 5,000 points + $75 (an increase of 1,000 points and $15)
?Category 5: 6,000 points + $110 (an increase of 1,200 points and $20)
?Category 6: 10,000 points + $180 (an increase of 2,000 points and $30)
?Category 7: 15,000 points + $275 (saying the same)

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: January 18, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »
New SPG cash and point redemptions:

?Category 1: 1,500 points + $30 (an increase of 300 points and $5)
?Category 2: 2,000 points + $35 (an increase of 400 points and $5)
?Category 3: 3,500 points + $55 (an increase of 500 points and $5)
?Category 4: 5,000 points + $75 (an increase of 1,000 points and $15)
?Category 5: 6,000 points + $110 (an increase of 1,200 points and $20)
?Category 6: 10,000 points + $180 (an increase of 2,000 points and $30)
?Category 7: 15,000 points + $275 (saying the same)

harrumph.  should have gone with the sapphire.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: January 18, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »
you should actually get both

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: January 18, 2013, 10:44:30 AM »

I probably will eventually.  I think I'm going to start doing some actual churning this year.  Prob getting married in 2014 and would like to somehow get enough points for flight/hotel to Hawaii that summer.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: January 18, 2013, 10:48:10 AM »

I probably will eventually.  I think I'm going to start doing some actual churning this year.  Prob getting married in 2014 and would like to somehow get enough points for flight/hotel to Hawaii that summer.

well, I've got good news for you. you can get enough for non-coach-flight/elite level hotel for a week+ about twice a year to Hawaii or other equally awesome places and throw in numerous long weekend type trips along the way.

SOURCE: I do it every damn year

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: January 18, 2013, 10:51:25 AM »

well, I've got good news for you. you can get enough for non-coach-flight/elite level hotel for a week+ about twice a year to Hawaii or other equally awesome places and throw in numerous long weekend type trips along the way.

that is good news, thanx
emaw

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: January 20, 2013, 03:35:45 PM »

what cards are you churning for the flights to be able to do this twice a year?  seems like the only carrier that's churnable that quickly is usairways and I can't find any roundtrips for under 60k miles.  I've got the southwest companion pass and have been using that while I try to rack up other miles but I'm having trouble finding easy/quick airline miles.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: January 20, 2013, 03:43:19 PM »

what cards are you churning for the flights to be able to do this twice a year?  seems like the only carrier that's churnable that quickly is usairways and I can't find any roundtrips for under 60k miles.  I've got the southwest companion pass and have been using that while I try to rack up other miles but I'm having trouble finding easy/quick airline miles.

you can get 100kAA miles just by signing up for two AA 50k citi personal cards. then wait three months and get a 50kAA citi business card. the business one can be churned every three months i think and the personal ones are 18 months. so in less than two years, a person could get 400kAA fairly easily just by getting the citi AA cards. you could get even more if you wanted by also getting a chase sapphire card or two and then transfer UR points over to an airline. also, that usairways card is churnable for most folks too. first year fee is not waived though so you're basically buying 40k us air miles for $89.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:53:10 PM by rick daris »

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: January 20, 2013, 03:59:03 PM »

you can get 100kAA miles just by signing up for two AA 50k citi personal cards. then wait three months and get a 50kAA citi business card. the business one can be churned every three months i think and the personal ones are 18 months. so in less than two years, a person could get 400kAA fairly easily just by getting the citi AA cards. you could get even more if you wanted by also getting a chase sapphire card or two and then transfer UR points over to an airline.
the biz is supposed to be every 6 months but I got mushed last time I tried so I'm gonna give it another shot next month.  I just got the wife the 2 aa personal cards last month and I have to wait until june to get them since I was stupid and got the aa mastercard with 40k last december so I burned my churn on that  :embarrassed:  also I'm trying to hoard my aa miles for a round trip first class flight to europe in the next year or so.

just seems like it would be tough to get enough aa miles for a non-coach rt to hawaii twice a year and have enough left over for anything since it seems like you can only get 200k/year (2 aa personal and 2 aa biz).  I thought sd was maybe talking about a different airline.  I guess I could do aa there and usair back or something. 

you guys need to start a service where I tell you where I want to go and you tell me what miles/points to use to fly and where to stay. :users:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: January 20, 2013, 04:02:16 PM »

you can get 100kAA miles just by signing up for two AA 50k citi personal cards. then wait three months and get a 50kAA citi business card. the business one can be churned every three months i think and the personal ones are 18 months. so in less than two years, a person could get 400kAA fairly easily just by getting the citi AA cards. you could get even more if you wanted by also getting a chase sapphire card or two and then transfer UR points over to an airline.
the biz is supposed to be every 6 months but I got mushed last time I tried so I'm gonna give it another shot next month.  I just got the wife the 2 aa personal cards last month and I have to wait until june to get them since I was stupid and got the aa mastercard with 40k last december so I burned my churn on that  :embarrassed:  also I'm trying to hoard my aa miles for a round trip first class flight to europe in the next year or so.

just seems like it would be tough to get enough aa miles for a non-coach rt to hawaii twice a year and have enough left over for anything since it seems like you can only get 200k/year (2 aa personal and 2 aa biz).  I thought sd was maybe talking about a different airline.  I guess I could do aa there and usair back or something. 

you guys need to start a service where I tell you where I want to go and you tell me what miles/points to use to fly and where to stay. :users:

usair does not have one way rewards. also first class AA reward roundtrip to hawaii is only 75k. between you and your wife you should be able to have a couple hundred thousand before the end of the year.