Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1006250 times)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3275 on: January 13, 2013, 10:39:07 PM »
Need a little bit more help from HCCIQ people.

I have never applied for a credit card but have a steady job and now have a need to travel to the east coat every few months that I will have to pay for myself. What's my best option for a credit card to rack up miles quickly.

I see Cap One Venture has 10,000 free miles once you spend $1000 in 3 months, which shouldn't be a problem, but I don't quite understand how that works. Will they give me the miles if I spend the money in a month right away, or do I have to wait the 3 months? Also, do the miles translate very literally... For instance if I fly to St Louis from MCI, do I only have to spend 250 miles or is there some multiplier/flat fee to book a flight? Are only certain flights and times that I can spend the points?

My guess is its not that simple, so any pro tips would be appreciated!
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: January 14, 2013, 01:31:10 AM »
Take it to the master dating thread, yeesh.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: January 14, 2013, 07:06:05 AM »

I have never applied for a credit card but have a steady job and now have a need to travel to the east coat every few months that I will have to pay for myself. What's my best option for a credit card to rack up miles quickly.

I see Cap One Venture has 10,000 free miles once you spend $1000 in 3 months, which shouldn't be a problem, but I don't quite understand how that works. Will they give me the miles if I spend the money in a month right away, or do I have to wait the 3 months? Also, do the miles translate very literally... For instance if I fly to St Louis from MCI, do I only have to spend 250 miles or is there some multiplier/flat fee to book a flight? Are only certain flights and times that I can spend the points?

a) it's amazing to me how many people don't have credit cards.
b) don't get the cap one. it's stupid. get a chase sapphire preferred or spg card. I mean, we literally just went over this in the last 10 days in this thread.
c) the miles are different for every card. some are an actual program's miles points (hilton, spg, AA, USA, etc.) and some are bank points (Chase Ultimate Rewards, Amex Membership Rewards, Cap One Venture). every program has their own seperate rules for use of the points. this thread has shitloads of analysis about what point is good for what and which have the most value.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: January 14, 2013, 08:28:32 AM »
Take it to the master dating thread, yeesh.

Quiet, the adults are talking.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: January 14, 2013, 08:29:28 AM »

b) don't get the cap one. it's stupid. get a chase sapphire preferred or spg card. I mean, we literally just went over this in the last 10 days in this thread.
c) the miles are different for every card. some are an actual program's miles points (hilton, spg, AA, USA, etc.) and some are bank points (Chase Ultimate Rewards, Amex Membership Rewards, Cap One Venture). every program has their own seperate rules for use of the points. this thread has shitloads of analysis about what point is good for what and which have the most value.

:dubious: Fine, I'll just read all 132 pages of the thread... Talk to you guys next week.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: January 14, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »

:dubious: Fine, I'll just read all 132 pages of the thread... Talk to you guys next week.

what do you want the credit card points/miles for? free flights? free hotel rooms? cash?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: January 14, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »
what do you want the credit card points/miles for? free flights? free hotel rooms? cash?

Free flights

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: January 14, 2013, 08:53:54 AM »

Free flights

to somewhere specifc? from anywhere specific? or generally just want free air travel?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: January 14, 2013, 09:04:34 AM »

Free flights

to somewhere specifc? from anywhere specific? or generally just want free air travel?

Mostly Orlando.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: January 14, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »
Thanks, Rick! I'll look into it and let you know what I decide  :excited:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3285 on: January 14, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »

I have never applied for a credit card but have a steady job and now have a need to travel to the east coat every few months that I will have to pay for myself.

Are you saying that you have to travel frequently for work, and they aren't going to pay for it or reimburse you so you want to do it on points so you don't have to pay? Yikes.
:adios:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3286 on: January 14, 2013, 09:34:37 AM »

I have never applied for a credit card but have a steady job and now have a need to travel to the east coat every few months that I will have to pay for myself.

Are you saying that you have to travel frequently for work, and they aren't going to pay for it or reimburse you so you want to do it on points so you don't have to pay? Yikes.

i just assumed that it was for some kind of trial or something where he's the defendant.

That would make more sense.
:adios:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: January 14, 2013, 09:52:07 AM »

i just assumed that it was for some kind of trial or something where he's the defendant.

That would make more sense.

Casey Anthony seemed to get treated well in Florida, figured I'd give it a shot  :dunno:

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: January 14, 2013, 10:27:39 AM »

:lol: no

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: January 15, 2013, 07:42:30 AM »
http://www.fairmont.com/promo/card/ this card seems decent cc experts?

but I can't tell if I can use it to book for this place http://www.fairmont.com/savoy-london/ or not!? HELP!!

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: January 15, 2013, 07:50:05 AM »
Sinatra stayed there!

SINATRA!!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: January 15, 2013, 07:59:09 AM »
http://www.fairmont.com/promo/card/ this card seems decent cc experts?

but I can't tell if I can use it to book for this place http://www.fairmont.com/savoy-london/ or not!? HELP!!

yeah, I think you can use the free nights at any location. we stayed right across the street from the Savoy at the Waldorf Hilton. Excellent central location.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: January 15, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »
I'd like to vote rick daris most pud credit card helper and steve dave 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: January 16, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »
So, I am paying 12,000 points for a one night stay at the Austin W.  I feel like I am being taken here.  But their rack rates are incredibly high as well.

Should I do this or should I back out and just stay at the Driskill for cash money?

What would a top traveler do?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: January 16, 2013, 03:09:45 PM »
seems high, but it is the W, not a pud brand.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: January 16, 2013, 03:16:26 PM »
it's austin dude so who cares really. my advice is to just get a ride up to mt bonnell at the end of the night and sleep on a bench for free. 12k to stay at an austin hotel has the world gone mad? looks like maybe. wow.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: January 16, 2013, 03:17:14 PM »
kk, what is the date of the stay?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: January 16, 2013, 03:46:03 PM »
to compare, I was going to use 8k points for an Element in Miami for the NC game.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: January 16, 2013, 06:57:22 PM »
kk, what is the date of the stay?

Monday after sxsw wraps up.  Everything before that is a minimum 4 night stay everywhere in town with "special" jacked up rates and no points stays.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: January 16, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »
March 18th 2013