Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004433 times)

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3225 on: December 29, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »
I'll refer you if you decide on that :fatty:

yeah I know. prob what I'll go with unless someone else in here comes up with a better suggestion. you can transfer to a shitload of airlines right?  will pm you if that's what I go with, will probably be about a month as I first need to pay off the thousands I have on cards right now from fronting the money for friends flights and tickets to the fiesta.
emaw

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: December 29, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »
So I cancelled my return flight out of phx on friday so i could save my points, stay till sunday, and try to use my expiring stand by voucher that goes out on 1/13/13. I have a feeling i'll be regretting this Sunday when there's no open flights to hop on. Dumb move? :frown:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: December 29, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »
any good recommendos for a new primary spend card?  BoA has pissed me off for the last time and I will be getting a Charles Schwab online checking account and will need a new primary card to replace my Bank Americard.  SPG amex?  probably put about $600-800 on this card a month.

depends on your goals....you want hotel/airline points, or you want cash back?

probably airline. thinking about an spg Amex so I have the flexibility.

you might consider a Sapphire if you want flexibility.  You can get cash back, transfer to several other points programs or buy travel at a 20% discount through the UR portal.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: December 29, 2012, 03:33:58 PM »
any good recommendos for a new primary spend card?  BoA has pissed me off for the last time and I will be getting a Charles Schwab online checking account and will need a new primary card to replace my Bank Americard.  SPG amex?  probably put about $600-800 on this card a month.

you might consider a Sapphire if you want flexibility.  You can get cash back, transfer to several other points programs or buy travel at a 20% discount through the UR portal.

hmm interesting. much sexier looking card though the annual fee is higher.
emaw

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: December 29, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »

i assume they still waive the first year.  When I called to cancel mine, they offered to give me a statement credit for 6 purchases to wipe the fee for year 2.   Also no foreign transaction fees if you travel outside the US at all.   And it is a sexy beast to carry.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: December 29, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »

i assume they still waive the first year.  When I called to cancel mine, they offered to give me a statement credit for 6 purchases to wipe the fee for year 2.   Also no foreign transaction fees if you travel outside the US at all.   And it is a sexy beast to carry.

surprised it transfers to southwest. I have a southwest chase card already. will UR transfer to AA points?
emaw

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: December 29, 2012, 03:45:17 PM »

surprised it transfers to southwest. I have a southwest chase card already. will UR transfer to AA points?

no, IIRC it goes to SW, Delta, United, British Airways (which can be used for AA albeit limited), and a couple other internationals.    You can also use the points for Amazon, or get staement credit or a check.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3232 on: December 29, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »

this would be my rec fwiw. you can always cancel after the first year and open a freedom card and transfer your points.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: January 01, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »
Thank you for making Hilton HHonors™ your guest loyalty program. With ten distinct hotel brands, you have endless ways to experience the benefits of being an HHonors member.

Over the past few years, we have expanded the benefits for our guests with Gold and Diamond status. They can now enjoy benefits such as complimentary space-available room upgrades, high-speed Internet access, breakfast, and up to a 50% bonus on all Base Points earned on every stay.

Periodically, we need to adapt our program based on industry trends. For the past ten years, we have not changed the qualifications for Gold and Diamond status. As of January 1, 2013, we will adjust the requirements to qualify for elite status in 2014. To qualify for Gold status, HHonors members must complete 20 stays, 40 nights, or attain 75,000 Base Points within the calendar year. To qualify for Diamond status in 2014, members must complete 30 stays, 60 nights, or attain 120,000 Base Points in 2013. All other tier level qualifications, as well as elite status received through Hilton HHonors credit cards and partners, will remain the same.

We thank you for your loyalty, and we look forward to seeing you at one of our 3,900 hotels and resorts in 2013.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: January 01, 2013, 07:49:24 PM »
dum

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: January 02, 2013, 11:59:43 AM »
I'm looking to book a AA reward flight, are there any good websites besides aa.com that could help do this? How far in advance should I be looking to not get raped with reward availability?
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: January 02, 2013, 12:14:52 PM »
I'm looking to book a AA reward flight, are there any good websites besides aa.com that could help do this? How far in advance should I be looking to not get raped with reward availability?

depends when and where you are going. the AA site is pretty user friendly imo.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: January 02, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »
Just wanted to say that w/o this thread, I would not be sitting in E7 United Club @ DFW ( :drink: ), waiting to settle into 1st class ( :drink: ) on my way to PHX.  I would surely being showing up in PHX about as half as pak'd.

Thanks, guize.  :dance:

That being said, this thread gets no credit for the pair of free lower-level tix and pre-game Tostito's party passes.  :gocho:

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: January 02, 2013, 10:58:42 PM »
If anyone is thinking about the Chase Freedom card I'll refer you and you can get a $100 statement credit. It's a great card to pair with a chase bold or chase sapphire preferred (you can transfer points between the freedom and those two) and the 5x points every quarter make it worthwhile, plus no annual fee so it's a good one to get and hold on to.

Plus you'll help out a fellow goemawer  :gocho:
I'm purple down

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: January 03, 2013, 10:07:09 AM »
If anyone is thinking about the Chase Freedom card I'll refer you and you can get a $100 statement credit. It's a great card to pair with a chase bold or chase sapphire preferred (you can transfer points between the freedom and those two) and the 5x points every quarter make it worthwhile, plus no annual fee so it's a good one to get and hold on to.

I might be up for this.   I need to cancel my Sapphire soon.   Is there a deadline?

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3240 on: January 03, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »

I might be up for this.   I need to cancel my Sapphire soon.   Is there a deadline?

I think February 5th pm me your email address if you're interested
I'm purple down

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: January 04, 2013, 01:03:43 AM »
Chase Sapphire vs Chase freedom vs Captital One venture. Go.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3242 on: January 04, 2013, 04:46:07 AM »
Capital One? LOL

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: January 04, 2013, 12:09:27 PM »
Capital One? LOL

why lol? new to the cc game here...

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: January 04, 2013, 03:19:56 PM »
having to call in cancel cards is just the absolute worst. i've been on the phone for the past thirty minutes.

cancel it.
nope just cancel it.
nope i just want you to cancel it.
no. just cancel.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3245 on: January 04, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »
I like it because you sometimes get free points

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: January 04, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »
I like it because you sometimes get free points

i still hate it. also, i bet someone could start a business that cancels credit cards for people. get darius to do his weekly friday blog about it and boom there you go. next thing you know, you're cancelling c cards for people and making money while doing it instead of bbs'ing in work free time.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: January 04, 2013, 05:30:55 PM »
Capital One? LOL

why lol? new to the cc game here...

don't listen to steve dave, he's a dumbass.  cap one is my spending card when i don't need the spend for a bonus.  2% on everything, basically as cash.  you can do a little better if you're paying attention, but you can also do a lot worse.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: January 04, 2013, 08:33:32 PM »
Chase Sapphire vs Chase freedom vs Captital One venture. Go.

Chase Sapphire:
Annual fee is $95 but waived the first year 
40,000 ultimate rewards points after spending $3000 in 3 months that can be used for cash back ($400), or be transferred to airlines and hotels like United, Hyatt, Priority club, British airways, southwest etc.
2 points per $1 on dining and travel
Card is not made of cheap plastic and will get you a lot of elite comments from wait staff and retail workers
Raquetcat rating of  :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Chase Freedom:
No annual fee
10,000 ultimate reward points after spending $500 in first 3 months that can be used for cash back ($100) or to buy stuff in the ultimate rewards mall. If you have the chase sapphire or a chase bold card you can transfer the points to that reward account and then use them for hotels/airlines, if you only have the freedom you can only use the points for cash back or buying stuff in the ultimate reward mall.
Different spending categories each quarter that offer you 5x points on each $1 spent, other wise 1 point per $1
Good card to get and utilize the 5x points per quarter
Raquetcat rating of  :star: :star: :star:
If you want this card PM me your email address so you can get the super secret offer  :fatty:

Don't know anything about the capital one venture card  :dunno:
I'm purple down

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: January 05, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »
the venture card is pretty highly rated by nerdwallet, etc

I personally don't think much of cap one as a company but its a fine card
emaw