Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002942 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3150 on: December 17, 2012, 07:23:53 PM »
Most don't let you combine the awards. British air does if you make them a family account.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3151 on: December 17, 2012, 07:27:15 PM »
50K SW card 1 arrived.  I am just waiting on the business and find it odd that they haven't called to ask me business like questions.
Tried yesterday and it said the business card deal was expired but i did get the personal. Is there a different link that I did not see? If the business deal is dead
I will just link Mrs. Gooch's personal to my rewards number to get to 100K with my 50K. saw you can do this but just need to monitor that the points get applied correctly.
where did you see that you can link other people's cards to your rewards account? that surprises me if true.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3152 on: December 17, 2012, 08:45:33 PM »
If you can't combine, how does the below work?  The only thing I can imagine is booking each hotel night individually and using a different awards account for each night.  And you could get plane tickets seperately, but even then how would you amass 50-63K points in a single account?  (Though, I'm guessing the AA was from the BA 100K offer?)

2 1st class tickets OMA to LHR on AA - 125k AA miles
5 nights at Waldorf Hilton in London - 200k Hilton Points
5 nights at Holiday Inn Notre Dame in Paris - 125k PC Points
2 business class tickets CDG to OMA on Lufthansa - 100k United miles

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: December 17, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »
If you can't combine, how does the below work?  The only thing I can imagine is booking each hotel night individually and using a different awards account for each night.  And you could get plane tickets seperately, but even then how would you amass 50-63K points in a single account?  (Though, I'm guessing the AA was from the BA 100K offer?)

those point totals are not difficult to amass given sign up bonuses.    I've had over 250k AA myself, it's not hard.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: December 17, 2012, 09:56:10 PM »

those point totals are not difficult to amass given sign up bonuses.    I've had over 250k AA myself, it's not hard.

So, you can combine points?  How? 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: December 17, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »

So, you can combine points?  How?

Some CCs let you combine accounts, like British airways. Some do not. Keeping an eye out for xfer options is also good. I have 200k Hilton using the Hawaii air card and virgin Atlantic which both transfer points to Hilton at 2x

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: December 18, 2012, 05:49:09 AM »

You can book for other people with most programs, just not combine their points with yours. I used my AA points and my United points to book us each a ticket. Mrs Dave has points/cards in her name but we didn't use any of hers this trip. I actually had about 450k AA miles before I booked this trip (not from the BA 100k offer). They are easy to obtain if you churn AA cards. The hotels are booked in two chunks of 5. I actually got a discounted point rate by booking 5 consecutive nights at the Waldorf Hilton (would have been 250k normally). It's pretty easy to do once you start. I got the points above from:

125k AA from Citi AA cards. Have had 8 to 10 since this thread was started.
5 nights Waldorf Hilton. Hilton Surpass and nomal Hilton Amex cards as well as two Hawaiin cards I transferred to Hilton. Still have over 200k Hilton points. This is also my work travel hotel chain of choice.
5 nights at Holiday Inn Notre Dame. Had about 50k PC points just from staying at PC properties (usually the one in MHK) and then got the 80k Chase PC card.
100k United miles. Have flown United quite a bit over the last few years and then got the 50k Chase United card.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: December 18, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »
Okay, thanks.  I think I've got it now. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: December 18, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »
i'm about ready to do another churn. very excited. kid in candy store type stuff. will start researching which cards over the next couple of weeks and then apply. wish me luck you guys!

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: December 18, 2012, 08:43:34 AM »
i'm about ready to do another churn. very excited. kid in candy store type stuff. will start researching which cards over the next couple of weeks and then apply. wish me luck you guys!

Good luck loser. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: December 18, 2012, 08:44:05 AM »

Good luck loser.

thanks!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: December 18, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »
I haven't traveled hardly any in the past couple of years due to not wanting to either take along baby or leave it behind.  Now that the kid is getting older, I'm excited to get into the game.  Plans for Europe summer of 2014.  Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: December 18, 2012, 09:24:43 AM »
I haven't traveled hardly any in the past couple of years due to not wanting to either take along baby or leave it behind.  Now that the kid is getting older, I'm excited to get into the game.  Plans for Europe summer of 2014.  Any tips are greatly appreciated!
Anywhere specific in Europe you're looking at?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: December 18, 2012, 09:34:27 AM »
Anywhere specific in Europe you're looking at?

Probably just fly in and out of LHR and putter around Northern Europe on the train from there.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: December 18, 2012, 12:02:40 PM »
Man, you have a ton of options here chum. Exciting times.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: December 18, 2012, 12:09:41 PM »
 :curse:

Yeah, I was looking through all of the free hotel nights from all the major cards.  I'm thinking I'll probably try to pick out some places I'd like to stay first and then see if I can pick cards to sign up for accordingly.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: December 18, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »
:curse:

Yeah, I was looking through all of the free hotel nights from all the major cards.  I'm thinking I'll probably try to pick out some places I'd like to stay first and then see if I can pick cards to sign up for accordingly.

also try to balance what banks they are from. you can't sign up for two chase hotel cards and a chase airline card all on the same day and expect to get them all. also look at minimum spend needed to get the points. some of the hotel cards don't even have a minimum spend. you can use them once and then put them in a drawer and still get the points. then call six months later and cancel the card.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: December 18, 2012, 12:56:42 PM »
From my experience, Accor hotels were all over the damn place in Europe (well, at least France).  If they have a card I've never heard of, I would recommend it.  BA seems kinda obvious here too.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: December 19, 2012, 12:17:59 PM »

You can book for other people with most programs, just not combine their points with yours. I used my AA points and my United points to book us each a ticket. Mrs Dave has points/cards in her name but we didn't use any of hers this trip. I actually had about 450k AA miles before I booked this trip (not from the BA 100k offer). They are easy to obtain if you churn AA cards. The hotels are booked in two chunks of 5. I actually got a discounted point rate by booking 5 consecutive nights at the Waldorf Hilton (would have been 250k normally). It's pretty easy to do once you start. I got the points above from:

5 nights Waldorf Hilton. Hilton Surpass and nomal Hilton Amex cards as well as two Hawaiin cards I transferred to Hilton. Still have over 200k Hilton points. This is also my work travel hotel chain of choice.
5 nights at Holiday Inn Notre Dame. Had about 50k PC points just from staying at PC properties (usually the one in MHK) and then got the 80k Chase PC card.
100k United miles. Have flown United quite a bit over the last few years and then got the 50k Chase United card.
how on earth did you amass 450k aa and get 8 to 10 cards in the last year and half?  I feel like I'm missing something with the aa cards.  the personal are only churnable every 18 months right?  I want more aa miles to stockpile for a europe trip but they seem hard to come by.  :frown:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: December 19, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
they used to be churnable every 3 or 4 months

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: December 19, 2012, 12:29:53 PM »
well eff  :frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: December 19, 2012, 12:32:38 PM »

They also had 75k bonuses for over a year and, iirc, 100k for a short time. If I had been doing it right I should have gotten over a million in the last few years but I was lazy.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: December 19, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »

They also had 75k bonuses for over a year and, iirc, 100k for a short time. If I had been doing it right I should have gotten over a million in the last few years but I was lazy.

but we thought those good days would last forever. oh the errors of our youths.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: December 19, 2012, 12:57:31 PM »

you can stop now  :cry:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: December 19, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »

how on earth did you amass 450k aa and get 8 to 10 cards in the last year and half?  I feel like I'm missing something with the aa cards.  the personal are only churnable every 18 months right?  I want more aa miles to stockpile for a europe trip but they seem hard to come by.  :frown:

there are several AA cards  (Citi, Amex, etc.)  and you can get personal and business.    For a 50k bonus, if you get and your spouse both get cards, you can easily rack up 200k points at a go.