Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002028 times)

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3125 on: December 10, 2012, 02:52:41 PM »
That was a joke.  PM me a link and I'll use it if i decide to go w/ the Surpass.

I'm not going to PI you into doing it. They are each better for different things. I prefer the earning levels of the Surpass and like the points better than the 2 weekend nights.
and I'm more apt to stay somewhere on a weekend and I don't collect hilton points via spending since they have so many churnable options.  I save my spending for minimums, ultimate rewards and spg.

just depends on what you prefer.  :dunno:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: December 10, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »
That was a joke.  PM me a link and I'll use it if i decide to go w/ the Surpass.

I'm not going to PI you into doing it. They are each better for different things. I prefer the earning levels of the Surpass and like the points better than the 2 weekend nights.
and I'm more apt to stay somewhere on a weekend and I don't collect hilton points via spending since they have so many churnable options.  I save my spending for minimums, ultimate rewards and spg.

if you use those cards for Hilton stays you are not doing it right fwiw

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3127 on: December 10, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »
What do you mean? Shouldn't use cards for stays bc you should redeem on points?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: December 10, 2012, 03:09:13 PM »

if you use those cards for Hilton stays you are not doing it right fwiw
if I were to ever pay for a hilton stay I would definitely use my hhonors amex, but I don't pay for hilton stays.  I don't travel that much right now and points are too easy to get. I always have enough points to cover my trip.  if that's what you meant.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: December 10, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »
Oh, ok. My saying I liked it's earning was that I liked earning 12 points per dollar spent at Hilton properties

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: December 10, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »
so I did the 2 browser for the citi aa cards tonight for the wife and she got approved for the visa immediately but got a "we'll email you" for the amex.  god I rough ridin' hate citi.  :curse:
update: just got approved for the other one.   :dance:

we cool again, citi...sort of.  now if I could just pinpoint how much longer I need to wait to re-reapply for the citi biz aa  :dubious:

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3131 on: December 12, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
Going to Vegas after the Fiesta Bowl... Usually I've been staying at MGM properties, but are there any good places/value in SPG or HHonors points? 

I've checked out their options on their sites, but hard to tell if the hotel is any good and if its worth the points. Any good experiences using points for Vegas trips?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: December 12, 2012, 10:09:39 AM »
Going to Vegas after the Fiesta Bowl... Usually I've been staying at MGM properties, but are there any good places/value in SPG or HHonors points? 

no, vegas is not a place where using points makes sense. there are a couple options (Venetian will let you us PC points and I think Cosmo will let you use Marriott) but they are poor values given vegas room rates are very low.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: December 12, 2012, 10:34:21 AM »
Kinda what I figured.  35,000 points or $69 rooms.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3136 on: December 12, 2012, 07:06:31 PM »
you should get the Hilton Surpass because it also gives you Gold for the year and also 60k points and also (most importantly) I can refer you so I get some points
:lol: don't fall for it

I pm'ed him about it and I got:

and you are?

the cyber hand to the face, very humiliating.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: December 13, 2012, 05:08:20 AM »
 :dubious:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: December 16, 2012, 08:30:17 PM »
going to make a purchase in the $5-6k range in the next couple of months. have been planning on finding a cc with a 0% intro apr in the 12-18 month range so I can just pay it off at my leisure. are there any that will get me a decent sign up bonus or rewards?
emaw

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: December 16, 2012, 10:43:48 PM »
going to make a purchase in the $5-6k range in the next couple of months. have been planning on finding a cc with a 0% intro apr in the 12-18 month range so I can just pay it off at my leisure. are there any that will get me a decent sign up bonus or rewards?
if you can't pay it off in the first month and need to carry a balance, just go with the cheapest rate you can find.  I'm not sure if there's any rewards cards with a 0% intro...I never pay attention to the interest rates.  if you carry a balance with a rewards card, the interest charges will eat away your rewards benefit.  if you can pay it off before it starts accruing interest, there are a lot of good options depending on where you're spending the money and what kind of points (hotel, airline, etc.) you want.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: December 16, 2012, 10:56:44 PM »
if you can't pay it off in the first month and need to carry a balance, just go with the cheapest rate you can find.  I'm not sure if there's any rewards cards with a 0% intro...I never pay attention to the interest rates.  if you carry a balance with a rewards card, the interest charges will eat away your rewards benefit.  if you can pay it off before it starts accruing interest, there are a lot of good options depending on where you're spending the money and what kind of points (hotel, airline, etc.) you want.

yeah I'm going to carry the balance probably about 12 months. I know some rewards cards will give you an intro apr (one of mine did), but the most important thing is the 0% rate for a year or so. just didn't know if there were any decent offers that anyone knew off. I know the focus of the thread is different but figured if ask. I'll have to do some googling
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: December 17, 2012, 06:24:51 AM »
I don't think most of the "good" cards have low APRs. I think they are mostly on the higher risk Cap One type cards. You may be better off just taking out a super low APR home equity loan or something. Out of the 15 cards I currently have I've never checked what the APR was on any of them.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: December 17, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
I don't think most of the "good" cards have low APRs. I think they are mostly on the higher risk Cap One type cards. You may be better off just taking out a super low APR home equity loan or something. Out of the 15 cards I currently have I've never checked what the APR was on any of them.

yeah I know I won't get anything good but figured I would see if anyone knew of any offers. I know it's not the sort of thing this thread is normally looking at.
emaw

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: December 17, 2012, 01:48:57 PM »
If you're going that route and have good enough credit to get two cards, buy it on a card with a minimum spend signup bonus, then transfer it to another at 0% + 3% BT fee.

0% Purchase cards:  http://www.comparecards.com/category/low-interest/0-on-purchases

0% BT cards: http://www.comparecards.com/category/low-interest/0-percent-balance-transfer-apr
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:52:04 PM by The Whale »

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: December 17, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
If you're going that route and have good enough credit to get two cards, buy it on a card with a minimum spend signup bonus, then transfer it to another at 0% + 3% BT fee.

0% Purchase cards:  http://www.comparecards.com/category/low-interest/0-on-purchases

0% BT cards: http://www.comparecards.com/category/low-interest/0-percent-balance-transfer-apr

:facepalm: God damn it!  Where the hell was this advice about 4 months ago?  I will definitely do this the next time.  Thanks The Whale.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: December 17, 2012, 03:26:21 PM »
50K SW card 1 arrived.  I am just waiting on the business and find it odd that they haven't called to ask me business like questions.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: December 17, 2012, 03:27:40 PM »
50K SW card 1 arrived.  I am just waiting on the business and find it odd that they haven't called to ask me business like questions.

I've had tons of business cards and have never been questioned about that stuff.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: December 17, 2012, 03:31:18 PM »
Tried yesterday and it said the business card deal was expired but i did get the personal. Is there a different link that I did not see? If the business deal is dead
I will just link Mrs. Gooch's personal to my rewards number to get to 100K with my 50K. saw you can do this but just need to monitor that the points get applied correctly.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: December 17, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »
Tried yesterday and it said the business card deal was expired but i did get the personal. Is there a different link that I did not see? If the business deal is dead
I will just link Mrs. Gooch's personal to my rewards number to get to 100K with my 50K. saw you can do this but just need to monitor that the points get applied correctly.

I signed up a couple weeks ago.  One of the boarding area people had a link to the 50k for each up.  He said they were set to expire a day or two before I signed up but the sign up form still listed 50K and I screen shot the two apps just in case.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: December 17, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »
Beginner question:  You combine points from seperate accounts for a single transaction, right?  Like, say you need 80K points for two free airline tickets and you have 60K points available one account and 20K in another.  How do you make that work?  Call the airline?  Or can you enter multiple rewards account numbers when you buy from a vendor online?