Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1006069 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3100 on: December 09, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »
sd, post the southwest stuff you chat'd about yesterday.  I have no SW cards, don't even have a SW program account.  They'll be starting up in Wichita mid-2013 and I imagine I'll have some credit with them from canceling my AirTran FLL flight soon.

OT: I've got like 50K Frontier miles now and they don't fly out of Wichita anymore.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: December 09, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
freakshow gary leff posts pictures of monkey sex in blog post

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2012/12/09/suites-treats-and-eats-a-malaysian-mileage-thanksgiving-malaysia-airlines-business-class-the-andaman-langkawi/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boardingarea%2Fviewfromthewing+%28View+from+the+Wing%29
I love how he doesn't even address it.  like he's all "here's some pictures of all the monkeys everywhere" and you get to the last one and you're all :horrorsurprise: and then he just starts talking about the spa.  :lol:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3102 on: December 09, 2012, 02:39:03 PM »
sd, post the southwest stuff you chat'd about yesterday.  I have no SW cards, don't even have a SW program account.  They'll be starting up in Wichita mid-2013 and I imagine I'll have some credit with them from canceling my AirTran FLL flight soon.

OT: I've got like 50K Frontier miles now and they don't fly out of Wichita anymore.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/12/04/chase-southwest-50000-point-link-removal/

Maybe we can work something out and I can use your frontier points in exchange for some other points or something :dunno:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: December 09, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
I wonder if SW pulls the 50k at the start of the year to slow down 2 years of companion passes.

Anyway, I applied after a blog said it "expired" but the page still listed 50K.  I have screenshots saved to start crap if they don't hand my points over.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: December 09, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/12/04/chase-southwest-50000-point-link-removal/

Maybe we can work something out and I can use your frontier points in exchange for some other points or something :dunno:

So get the personal and business now, spend $10K total ASAP (with at least $2K on each in the first 3 months) and get to 110K early in 2013? 

Yeah, I'll be down for swapping Frontiers if I can't keep them active until I move somewhere Frontier flies out of.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: December 09, 2012, 03:55:54 PM »
Yep

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: December 09, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »
Am I gonna have Chase issues?  I'm sitting on Sapphire, Priority Club, Hyatt, Marriott and United.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: December 09, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
Yep

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: December 09, 2012, 06:35:35 PM »
Gone through a couple years with SW RR cards, AA Citi, United/Continental, and SPG.  Currently have Citi AA and SPG open... SPG is regular spending card today.

Ready to find something else... Did a little browsing and seems like Chase Sapphire Preferred or one of the HHonors cards will probably be my best bet.  I stay at mostly Hilton hotels when I travel for work and some when traveling for personal reasons.  Have Gold status in 2012 due to one of the links from this thread auto awarding gold status for entering in someone else's first 5 or 6 digits of their card... Won't reach Gold status by the end of this year, so I'll probably get demoted to Silver.  Other card out there that looked like a possibility, but probably not the best one, is Hyatt Visa.

Chase Sapphire - http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/top-travel-credit-card-reviews/chase-sapphire-preferred-card/
HHonors options - http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-use-points/credit-cards/index.html
Hyatt card - http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/top-travel-credit-card-reviews/hyatt-credit-card/

Which card should I go for?  Any other good ones I'm missing?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: December 09, 2012, 09:17:53 PM »
Am I gonna have Chase issues?  I'm sitting on Sapphire, Priority Club, Hyatt, Marriott and United.
not necessarily.  I've got a total of 7 right now...4 personal and 3 biz. you may be alright depending on how long it's been since you've applied.  I would guess they'll initially deny you and you'll almost definitely have to cancel one of them, but chase reconsideration is easily bitb.  just pick the card you want to cancel and tell them that you'd like to cancel it and transfer the credit.  then do the same for the biz card.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: December 09, 2012, 09:24:40 PM »
Gone through a couple years with SW RR cards, AA Citi, United/Continental, and SPG.  Currently have Citi AA and SPG open... SPG is regular spending card today.

Ready to find something else... Did a little browsing and seems like Chase Sapphire Preferred or one of the HHonors cards will probably be my best bet.  I stay at mostly Hilton hotels when I travel for work and some when traveling for personal reasons.  Have Gold status in 2012 due to one of the links from this thread auto awarding gold status for entering in someone else's first 5 or 6 digits of their card... Won't reach Gold status by the end of this year, so I'll probably get demoted to Silver.  Other card out there that looked like a possibility, but probably not the best one, is Hyatt Visa.

Chase Sapphire - http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/top-travel-credit-card-reviews/chase-sapphire-preferred-card/
HHonors options - http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-use-points/credit-cards/index.html
Hyatt card - http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/top-travel-credit-card-reviews/hyatt-credit-card/

if you're looking for hhonors, I would opt for the citi hilton reserve that gives you 2 free weekend nights anywhere (equal to about 100k points) and gold status as long as you have the card.  then get the amex so you can get 40k more easy points and use the axon awards in the future.  the amex is no fee so you can just hit the minimum and put it in your drawer forever if you want. 

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: December 09, 2012, 09:42:26 PM »
then get the amex so you can get 40k more easy points and use the axon awards in the future. 

What is that?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: December 09, 2012, 09:46:12 PM »
then get the amex so you can get 40k more easy points and use the axon awards in the future. 

What is that?
basically let's you stay at the top tier hilton (50k/night) for 145k total for 4 nights instead of 200k.  it's all in here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hhonors/1225861-making-sense-hilton-reward-options-axon-glon-everything-else.html

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: December 09, 2012, 09:56:06 PM »
Thanks.  I just realized that I hyperventilate from being overwhelmed by being on flyertalk (edit - very specifically that thread).  Intimidating.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:59:39 PM by CrushNasty »

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: December 09, 2012, 10:20:13 PM »
Thanks.  I just realized that I hyperventilate from being overwhelmed by being on flyertalk (edit - very specifically that thread).  Intimidating.
yeah I never get on there and have never read that thread past the initial post(s) that describe the programs.  it's the first link that comes up when you google "axon glon" and it's always been my go-to. :dunno:

unless you really want to get in deep and eek out every last mile/point (or start doing mileage runs or mattress runs) I'm not sure there's any reason to spend any time on ft.  all of the good info gets almost immediately reposted on blogs.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: December 10, 2012, 04:41:20 AM »
not necessarily.  I've got a total of 7 right now...4 personal and 3 biz. you may be alright depending on how long it's been since you've applied.  I would guess they'll initially deny you and you'll almost definitely have to cancel one of them, but chase reconsideration is easily bitb.  just pick the card you want to cancel and tell them that you'd like to cancel it and transfer the credit.  then do the same for the biz card.

fwiw, that's what I meant by saying "yep" to "chase issues". the number of chase cards you have doesn't matter, it's the total credit line.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: December 10, 2012, 04:42:38 AM »
yeah I never get on there and have never read that thread past the initial post(s) that describe the programs.  it's the first link that comes up when you google "axon glon" and it's always been my go-to. :dunno:

unless you really want to get in deep and eek out every last mile/point (or start doing mileage runs or mattress runs) I'm not sure there's any reason to spend any time on ft.  all of the good info gets almost immediately reposted on blogs.

you can also book GLON reduced rate awards without them being in increments of 4. you can book GLON rates online but have to call to book AXONs.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: December 10, 2012, 11:35:31 AM »

if you're looking for hhonors, I would opt for the citi hilton reserve that gives you 2 free weekend nights anywhere (equal to about 100k points) and gold status as long as you have the card.  then get the amex so you can get 40k more easy points and use the axon awards in the future.  the amex is no fee so you can just hit the minimum and put it in your drawer forever if you want.

Is there going to be another "freebie" Gold opportunity for HHonors if I enter someone elses first however many numbers from their Citi Hilton Reserve card like I did for this year?  If so, I may just try to rely on that again and not pay the $95/year and just go with the 40k on AmEx.  If that freebie option is fixed and never going to be possible again I'll pay the $95 and take the two weekend nights....

Doesn't matter that I apply before the new year right, because these aren't base points (they're bonus obv.) and there wouldn't be any reason to worry about the points hitting my account before 2013 calendar year?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: December 10, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »
you should get the Hilton Surpass because it also gives you Gold for the year and also 60k points and also (most importantly) I can refer you so I get some points

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: December 10, 2012, 01:22:38 PM »
you should get the Hilton Surpass because it also gives you Gold for the year and also 60k points and also (most importantly) I can refer you so I get some points

Sounds like the Citi one is better.  You wouldn't lie to me just for your own benefit, would you?

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3120 on: December 10, 2012, 01:44:53 PM »

Is there going to be another "freebie" Gold opportunity for HHonors if I enter someone elses first however many numbers from their Citi Hilton Reserve card like I did for this year?  If so, I may just try to rely on that again and not pay the $95/year and just go with the 40k on AmEx.  If that freebie option is fixed and never going to be possible again I'll pay the $95 and take the two weekend nights....

Doesn't matter that I apply before the new year right, because these aren't base points (they're bonus obv.) and there wouldn't be any reason to worry about the points hitting my account before 2013 calendar year?

Hilton seems to give away gold status pretty easy, it just comes up randomly though. The 2 Hawaiian airlines cards and virgin card are also good for racking up Hilton points.
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: December 10, 2012, 01:49:58 PM »

Sounds like the Citi one is better.  You wouldn't lie to me just for your own benefit, would you?

yeah, what the eff do I know.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: December 10, 2012, 01:51:23 PM »
That was a joke.  PM me a link and I'll use it if i decide to go w/ the Surpass.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: December 10, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »

yeah, what the eff do I know.
This entire thread of 125 pages has just been an elaborate scheme set up by sd for his own benefit. BURN THIS MOTHER DOWN!!!!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: December 10, 2012, 02:07:34 PM »
That was a joke.  PM me a link and I'll use it if i decide to go w/ the Surpass.

I'm not going to PI you into doing it. They are each better for different things. I prefer the earning levels of the Surpass and like the points better than the 2 weekend nights.