Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1005270 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2650 on: August 01, 2012, 09:18:14 AM »
should I cancel shitty, worthless credit cards that do nothing for me, or leave them open?

IMHO it depends.  I have kept a couple of cards I've had for 10+ years open just to increase my average credit line age.   Newer cards I turn and burn.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: August 01, 2012, 09:41:59 AM »
keep your oldest no fee card(s) unless they are chase cards or cards you want to churn.

boardingarea.com is a group of blogs that do travel stuff and stuff like this.  thepointsguy.com.  millionmilesecrets.com (he is from KC).  flyertalk points and mile forum.  those are good ones.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: August 01, 2012, 10:23:31 AM »
thanks. I think i'm set for awhile. Did the 2 browser trick AA card, set an appointment 65 days from now for the business card if that still works.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: August 01, 2012, 10:24:28 AM »
thanks. I think i'm set for awhile. Did the 2 browser trick AA card, set an appointment 65 days from now for the business card if that still works.

It should.  my aa biz says goEMAW on it  :D

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: August 01, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »

150k miles seems like an absurd amount.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: August 01, 2012, 10:27:58 AM »

150k miles seems like an absurd amount.

It is until you start wanting to fly long distances in non-coach.  we blew 125k on 2 one way flights to London in 1st. 

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: August 02, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
So I have about 80k Marriott points that I'm not going to use to stay at a Marriott. Do I transfer those to Hawaiian Airlines and get 27k Hawaiian miles then transfer those to Hilton to end up with 54k Hilton ? OR
do I transfer to SW and get 27k SW points (I think I read that transferred points don't count towards the companion pass, can anyone confirm)? I'm in quite a pickle here guys

If I change my earning preference to Hawaiian Airline Miles or SW miles (for my marriott card) do I get a 1:1 point earning ratio or is it still the 1:2.8 ratio that I get when transferring points?

I'll listen off the air
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2657 on: August 02, 2012, 09:45:05 PM »
I have no idea how Marriott even works. I've shunned that program.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: August 02, 2012, 09:46:19 PM »
why

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: August 02, 2012, 09:47:07 PM »
So I have about 80k Marriott points that I'm not going to use to stay at a Marriott. Do I transfer those to Hawaiian Airlines and get 27k Hawaiian miles then transfer those to Hilton to end up with 54k Hilton ? OR
do I transfer to SW and get 27k SW points (I think I read that transferred points don't count towards the companion pass, can anyone confirm)? I'm in quite a pickle here guys

If I change my earning preference to Hawaiian Airline Miles or SW miles (for my marriott card) do I get a 1:1 point earning ratio or is it still the 1:2.8 ratio that I get when transferring points?

I'll listen off the air

i don't know, hope that helps.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2660 on: August 02, 2012, 09:48:51 PM »
why

Is probably the crappiest of the big programs. No high level resort redemption options. Had to pick either Hilton or Marriott when traveling for work a lot and went Hilton.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: August 02, 2012, 09:53:39 PM »

I'll listen off the air

why in the world would you want to trade 80k marriot for essentially 50k hhonors? makes no sense.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: August 02, 2012, 10:00:37 PM »

I'll listen off the air

last I knew, transferring marriott to sw did actually count toward companion.  not sure if it still works.  that would probably be your best option.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2663 on: August 02, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »

I'll listen off the air

why in the world would you want to trade 80k marriot for essentially 50k hhonors? makes no sense.

I'm trying to bank a lot of Hilton points for a big vacation, would a point transfer to SW count towards a companion pass, if so I'll probably go that route. I got the marriott card before I decided to collect Hilton points, and they keep offering more points when I try to cancel so I've kept it open
I'm purple down

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: August 02, 2012, 10:02:26 PM »

I'll listen off the air

last I knew, transferring marriott to sw did actually count toward companion.  not sure if it still works.  that would probably be your best option.

Thanks rams!
I'm purple down

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: August 02, 2012, 10:16:22 PM »

I'll listen off the air

Thanks rams!

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/01/09/southwest-companion/
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: August 03, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »
holy mother of god, the ritz carlton cards and the packaging that they come in  :love: :love:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: August 03, 2012, 02:49:04 PM »
Get the owner one?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: August 03, 2012, 02:51:41 PM »
Get the owner one?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

yeah

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: August 03, 2012, 02:57:48 PM »
heads up that you have to keep the Ritz card for 6 months, otherwise your points will be stripped according to what I've read.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: August 03, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »
well this is weird. what are these two boxes doing here? i didn't order anything off on amazon or anything...

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: August 03, 2012, 03:07:31 PM »
well this is weird. what are these two boxes doing here? i didn't order anything off on amazon or anything...

WAY OT: Daris, if those boxes show what company made them or something, tell me.  I've been trying to find amazon-like foldable boxes to send papers in that qualify as "parcels" but can be mailed first-class mail.  Don't worry about what I need them for.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: August 03, 2012, 03:09:31 PM »

WAY OT: Daris, if those boxes show what company made them or something, tell me.  I've been trying to find amazon-like foldable boxes to send papers in that qualify as "parcels" but can be mailed first-class mail.  Don't worry about what I need them for.

BOOM!   http://www.esupplystore.com/Corrugated-Bookfolds_c_126-1.html    http://www.packagingprice.com/forms/product_listing.cfm?CategoryID=10011&desc=Multi+Depth+Book+Boxes