Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1006244 times)

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2625 on: July 31, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »
Credit Cards--> Pure Evil
EMAW

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: July 31, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
Credit Cards--> Pure Evil
Agreed, Credit Cards are much better than pure evil, didn't think there was a debate...
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: July 31, 2012, 12:16:13 PM »
Plus, I've still got this expired food & beverage amenity voucher.

double eff. one week ago we were rolling in as diamond monsters and now we're hobbling in as platinums trying to pass off trim's month old gift certificate.  :frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: July 31, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »
maybe they will see that we're booked on 4 diamond suite upgrades and just assume I'm still a diamond :dunno:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: July 31, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
Insist their computer is wrong. They won't want to piss off a plat, let alone one that could potentially be a diamond. Ask for the diamond number to call and get this rectified

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: July 31, 2012, 04:46:55 PM »
Interested in the Chase SW card for the 50k points after spending 1k. Terms state they add the points 6-8 weeks after 1k is reached, but would like to get it quicker in order to purchase two round trips to FL during Christmas.

Can I call Chase and haggle for them to add the points right away after I get to 1k?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: July 31, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
Interested in the Chase SW card for the 50k points after spending 1k. Terms state they add the points 6-8 weeks after 1k is reached, but would like to get it quicker in order to purchase two round trips to FL during Christmas.

Can I call Chase and haggle for them to add the points right away after I get to 1k?

no, but if you get it soon and spend the $1k immediately it should post on your first billing date

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: July 31, 2012, 07:22:07 PM »

when I got my SW card it was a 20k bonus, and I got it within a week or two

I don't think that's normal though, because I had to call them to figure out my rapid rewards # (they gave me one but didn't print it on the card), and the guy goes, oh wow, you already have your points, that's crazy
emaw

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: July 31, 2012, 07:36:36 PM »

no, but if you get it soon and spend the $1k immediately it should post on your first billing date

I would get the card overnighted and spend the $1k immediately, either through normal channels or using Amazon Payments.  Then immediately pay off the balance.   That will remove all obstacles to posting the points.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: July 31, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »

I would get the card overnighted and spend the $1k immediately, either through normal channels or using Amazon Payments.  Then immediately pay off the balance.   That will remove all obstacles to posting the points.

paying it off has nothing to do with it

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: July 31, 2012, 07:49:45 PM »

Get the card overnighted?   What the eff are you talking about?   I don't think you have shipping options when getting a credit card

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: July 31, 2012, 08:08:03 PM »

Get the card overnighted?   What the eff are you talking about?   I don't think you have shipping options when getting a credit card

sure you do.   Some will automatically overnight, others only if asked.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: July 31, 2012, 08:12:51 PM »

paying it off has nothing to do with it

it's certainly not a requirement, but it can't hurt, especially if he were inclined to call and inquire about the timeline for posting them.   

Chase generally posts them once your statement closes for the month you met your minimum spend.  I don't know if you'd have success asking them to change your closing date and move it up?    I know they've often asked me if I have a preferred closing date if I'm making other inquiries.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:16:39 PM by Mikeyis4dcats »

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: July 31, 2012, 09:46:44 PM »
Hyatt went from Diamond to Platinum today.  Man, what a ride.  Sucks it couldn't hold out until chicago owners meeting.

oh eff.  :frown:

yeah, the suites with the pool tables in them are probably off the table.  who knows though, maybe rick daris and steve dave get all loose and conversational with a couple adult beverages over torta frontera and are able to "suite" talk the check in lady into huge upgrades anyway.  regardless, we still get 4 suites. 

Let's pray it's a lady and not a man. It will make swooning much easier. Not that I'm above swooning a man, I just think we'll have more success with a lady.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: August 01, 2012, 07:41:53 AM »
Got some new cards in the last couple months. 
-US Air 40k second time around.  Waited about 5 months since last time having it.
-Bank Of Hawaii 35k Hawaiin Air card.  Had BOA version about a year ago.
-SW Biz Card.  Had the personal last year.  Wish I had gotten the personal earlier this year for the companion pass but am going to do that with mrs. dave's if all goes well next year.
-Biz AA 50k card.  Got right before fattyfest. 
-mrs. dave 50k personal amex.
-Hilton Surpass 60k

haven't been denied for an application in forever.  I think it comes down to managing maximum credit at Chase.  I made sure to lower my available credit below $40k with them before applying for the next card and it usually keeps me from having to deal with the reconsideration line.  am going to have mrs. dave get the US Air card again since mine was successful.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: August 01, 2012, 07:50:02 AM »
signed up for the US air 40k yesterday. They gave me a pretty low credit limit (3k), what gives? I don't really care though, won't really use. Perhaps because it's my first barclay card?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: August 01, 2012, 07:52:54 AM »
signed up for the US air 40k yesterday. They gave me a pretty low credit limit (3k), what gives? I don't really care though, won't really use. Perhaps because it's my first barclay card?

hmmm, weird.  I don't know.  I don't recall what my limit there was though.  When I was over the $40k available credit cap at Chase they once gave me a card with a $500 limit.  When I called to activate it they asked me if I wanted to move some of my available credit around to raise that limit and I told them, "no, I'm good" because I just needed one purchase for the 80k priority club points.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: August 01, 2012, 08:18:20 AM »
What does 40k us air get you?   Is that enough points for round trip to say San Francisco?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: August 01, 2012, 08:20:40 AM »
What does 40k us air get you?   Is that enough points for round trip to say San Francisco?

yeah (if you find low or medium availability)

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/usemiles/awardchart.html

and here's their partner award chart

http://www.usairways.com/pv_obj_cache/pv_obj_id_621C22DB9F3FADEF3B389748FB4BA280398F0000/filename/partnerawardtravel.pdf

and you also get a 5k break on award redemptions if you still have the card

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: August 01, 2012, 08:22:16 AM »
now, US Air miles kind of suck.  They aren't nearly as easy to use as United or AA miles.  You can't book one way award tickets which is the biggest kick in the balls imo.  But, they are really easy to get.  Plus, you can use them on United or other star alliance airlines (not for United one ways and you have to find the flights you want and then call them with them as they suck at finding them for you). also, with rumors of AA merger, they may be turned into AA miles in a couple years.  That's the direction they would go imo as United is the premier domestic Star Alliance carrier and AA is the only US domestic carrier on One World. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: August 01, 2012, 08:26:47 AM »
my personal goal with US Air miles is to get mrs. dave and myself each to 100k (I should have 80k once I use this new card once) and get a couple RTs in business class to Europe.  May be able to get to 100k each when she gets this card again and we do the pain in the ass US Air promotion thing they do every year where you get "hits" for stupid crap.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: August 01, 2012, 08:35:39 AM »
me: signed up for a new CC last night. us airways, 40k bonus miles
mrs sbg: why? we've never flied on us airways
me: well we can use them on united too
mrs sbg: we never fly on united
me: that's because it wasn't free

silence

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: August 01, 2012, 08:38:40 AM »
women and those weird finance cult people have no idea how credit cards work

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: August 01, 2012, 09:00:58 AM »
should I cancel shitty, worthless credit cards that do nothing for me, or leave them open?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: August 01, 2012, 09:10:27 AM »
also, please list all of the sites you regularly check for crap like this so I can add them all to my favorites, tia