Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1005070 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2550 on: July 21, 2012, 06:01:51 PM »
nvm, flyertalk says we will get two free checked each on last leg too

:ohno:  you didn't actually post on there did you?

no, found an old thread addressing similar situation.  actually signed up to post but they have to approve you later or something like I'm tolling WV fans.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: July 21, 2012, 06:04:03 PM »
we are in the nose of a 747 (3rd row) http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Lufthansa/Lufthansa_Boeing_747-400_E.php

our "side" window will actually kind of be diagonal because of how large the jet is so we can see ahead of the 747 from our seat.  going to be pretty epic. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: July 21, 2012, 06:17:29 PM »
i need a new amex card.  which is the best one available now?  best bonus, not best for spend.  airline miles are better than hotel points for me, unless the points can be converted to miles or cash or something.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: July 21, 2012, 06:30:33 PM »
i need a new amex card.  which is the best one available now?  best bonus, not best for spend.  airline miles are better than hotel points for me, unless the points can be converted to miles or cash or something.

AA Amex at 50k AA is still the best option for airline Amex points that I can think of.  I haven't seen a really high membership rewards offer recently.  The only other one that would be good for airline miles that I can think of would be the SPG that would get you 25k SPG that can be transferred to 30k airline miles on almost all programs other than United.  But, it is rumored to be going to 30k soon which would get you 35k this summer so I'd wait to pull the trigger on that. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: July 21, 2012, 06:32:03 PM »
$3k spend in 4 months gets you 50k AA plus $100 to spend on anything from AA (I think you can even get an AA gift card and it should credit the account but I'm not sure)

https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/Apply.do?app=UNSOL&sc=BXDDEDT1&m=9QAEZSCZZZW&langId=EN&siteId=CB&B=X&screenID=3033

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: July 21, 2012, 06:34:59 PM »
sys, flying through Frankfurt mention above.  nazis and junk.  wow. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: July 21, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
i have a citi aa amex now, need to cancel and wait to churn, so i need a new one to use during that time.  sounds like the spg is the way to go, but i'll wait a bit and see if they offer the 30k.  is that a churnable card?

i spent a night in frankfurt once.  nice trains, city seemed dull (but we just spent the night and left, no tourism).  had a cup of tea for like 4 euros and some low quality lahmacun.  saw a lot of prostitutes, some of which were probably nazis.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: July 21, 2012, 08:15:24 PM »
there's not a lot of amex cards.  they try to push their amex membership rewards so you can keep an eye out for an amex gold/plat card with a good signup.  they had a 50k awhile back.  they transfer to delta, british, and a bunch of garbage programs

http://www.membershiprewards.com/catalog/travel/NewPointsTransfer.aspx?tab=airlines&mrnavlink=topnav:TravelFreqFlyerProg&ResetBreadcrumb=true

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: July 23, 2012, 07:14:06 AM »
stupid dumbass gary leff gets really excited about the new Hilton card.  it's good, but not that much better than the Surpass imo.  best part is that it's a citi so it will probably be churnable.  gary makes a bunch of questionable calculations by basing the value of the free nights on Waldorf stays at 80k.  there are very few waldorf properties and fewer that are 80k a night and a lot of them only go higher than 50k seasonally.  I would base the value of the nights at 50k hh.  also the nights are only good on weekends.  they free nights also expire within a year so you can't continue hoarding them like miles.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2012/07/22/citibank-introduces-awesome-new-hilton-hhonors-reserve-card/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boardingarea%2Fviewfromthewing+%28View+from+the+Wing%29

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: July 23, 2012, 07:59:41 AM »
Got approved for the US Air card again.  About 5 months after getting it the first time.  Cancelled the original one a couple weeks ago.  confirmation email notes the 40k after purchase and all that junk.  will report back if they credit. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: July 23, 2012, 08:03:43 AM »
Got approved for the US Air card again.  About 5 months after getting it the first time.  Cancelled the original one a couple weeks ago.  confirmation email notes the 40k after purchase and all that junk.  will report back if they credit.

they have two different versions. did you apply for the same or different or do you know? getting 80k x 2 in a six month period is pretty fantastic for zero spend.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: July 23, 2012, 08:05:49 AM »

they have two different versions. did you apply for the same or different or do you know? getting 80k x 2 in a six month period is pretty fantastic for zero spend.

hmmm, I don't even know.  didn't know there were two different ones.  I think it's the same link I used the first time though.

http://www.mostmiles.com/Chairmans

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: July 23, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »

hmmm, I don't even know.  didn't know there were two different ones.  I think it's the same link I used the first time though.

http://www.mostmiles.com/Chairmans

yeah. there is a premier and a platinum. i used the same link when i applied for ours six months ago but my wife and i got different versions. they used to only give people that got approved for the lesser version 10k, but switched it around a year ago and started giving you 40k regardless of what you got approved for.  that's great that you got it again.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2563 on: July 23, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »

Especially nice if they merge with American. What bank is that through?
I'm purple down

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: July 23, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »

i never want them to merge as it's nice to be able to semi churn both. they'll get rid of one after the merger which will be horrible.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: July 23, 2012, 01:46:35 PM »

i never want them to merge as it's nice to be able to semi churn both. they'll get rid of one after the merger which will be horrible.

not for years though.  continental and united announced their merger and had both cards up until, like, the last second.  merging would be nice to get some enormous redemption around the world trip. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: July 23, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »

barclays.  they are in deep crap right now so they probably don't even GAF. 

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2567 on: July 23, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »

barclays.  they are in deep crap right now so they probably don't even GAF.

:driving:
I'm purple down

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: July 23, 2012, 01:52:38 PM »
Our US Air flights back from Paris had a schedule change that sucked so we changed our flights.  We are now flying back on Lufthansa from Paris to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Denver both in business class.  We are connecting in Denver on United to Omaha but they didn't have any first class availability so we are in coach for the short hop from Denver to Omaha.  My question is, since we are on United in economy are they are going to try charge us to check our luggage on the Denver to Omaha leg after clearing customs and rechecking our bags?  I assume I can PI them into submission since we booked at a business class rate but have never done this before.  Anyone know how this will work?

Lufty and United are both Star Alliance members, so I think you're ok. It's a pretty seamless transition. Was in Europe last year and flew hom on US Air then United and didn't have to pay a baggage fee.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: July 23, 2012, 01:53:04 PM »
Our US Air flights back from Paris had a schedule change that sucked so we changed our flights.  We are now flying back on Lufthansa from Paris to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Denver both in business class.  We are connecting in Denver on United to Omaha but they didn't have any first class availability so we are in coach for the short hop from Denver to Omaha.  My question is, since we are on United in economy are they are going to try charge us to check our luggage on the Denver to Omaha leg after clearing customs and rechecking our bags?  I assume I can PI them into submission since we booked at a business class rate but have never done this before.  Anyone know how this will work?

Lufty and United are both Star Alliance members, so I think you're ok. It's a pretty seamless transition. Was in Europe last year and flew home on US Air then United and didn't have to pay a baggage fee.

whoops, didn't see FT beat me to it. :frown:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:13:25 PM by EllToPay »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: July 23, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
wow, props to DEN for getting directs to Frankfurt.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: July 23, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »
wow, props to DEN for getting directs to Frankfurt.

We got Tokyo a couple months ago too.  Pretty sweet living in CO right now fellas*

*Let's not make an Aurora reference, guys.  Let's be better than that

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: July 26, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »
so, yesterday was the last day to apply for that chase ritz carlton 70k card that had the fee waived but you were supposed to be a ritz carlton owner or whatever in order to get it. well i went ahead and applied last night along w/ some other cards and just got a call from jp morgan wanting to talk with me about my application. what to do?  :runaway:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: July 26, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »
so, yesterday was the last day to apply for that chase ritz carlton 70k card that had the fee waived but you were supposed to be a ritz carlton owner or whatever in order to get it. well i went ahead and applied last night along w/ some other cards and just got a call from jp morgan wanting to talk with me about my application. what to do?  :runaway:

tell them you didn't know you had to be an owner.  worst case they tell you that and you sound like a dumbass.  best case you get it. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: July 26, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »
So, this is a pretty good deal

http://milepoint.com/forums/pages/premium-benefits/

milepoint is the forum that randy whatever his name is started after he was bought out of flyertalk.  it's basically just flyertalk II.  so, premium ad free viewing is worthless imo.  but, look at the other crap you get.  2k united miles, 2k hyatt or hyatt platinum if you aren't already plat.  awardwallet premium is worth $5 if you don't have it.  1 gogo pass which would be nice on long flights and save $10 or so.  bunch of other useless garbage.  the 2k united and 2k hyatt are worth the $60 imo.  that's only 1.5 cents a point which is a bit below their "value" according to most.  if you can get any use out of the other stuff you are ahead.  I may do it.