Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002661 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2425 on: July 11, 2012, 08:08:47 AM »
RD's BFF TPG with a nice post on AXON/GLON HH redemptions

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/07/maximizing-hilton-hhonors-glon-and-axon-redemptions/

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: July 11, 2012, 08:21:29 AM »

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: July 11, 2012, 12:26:34 PM »

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/07/maximizing-hilton-hhonors-glon-and-axon-redemptions/

it kind of sucks that you have to book in multiples of 4 nights to fully take advantage of AXON rewards

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: July 11, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »

it kind of sucks that you have to book in multiples of 4 nights to fully take advantage of AXON rewards

yeah, the other ones are usually a better deal anyway.  I actually screwed up and did the Paris Arc De Triomphe for November on the other one and cost myself an extra 5k.  no biggie but I didn't know the advantages when I booked. 

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: July 11, 2012, 12:34:29 PM »

yeah, the other ones are usually a better deal anyway.  I actually screwed up and did the Paris Arc De Triomphe for November on the other one and cost myself an extra 5k.  no biggie but I didn't know the advantages when I booked.

Crap, I didn't see the VIP discounts, only a 2.5% difference between AXON and VIP for a 6+ night stay which is basically negligible.  Awesome

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
I'm purple down

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: July 12, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »
Guess who will have 220,000 Hilton points within 3 months?   :ksu:    Because i have such a short credit history i had to call the reconsideration line for 3 out of the 4 cards, but man what a thrill ride.

:combofan:

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: July 12, 2012, 09:48:42 PM »
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: July 13, 2012, 09:46:52 AM »
protip on getting room upgrades:  go to tripadvisor and find the hotel you are staying at.  see if they respond to comments on tripadvisor, most of the good properties do.  get the person's name that is responding.  google it with the name of the hotel.  you will almost always find their email address.  send them an email telling them that you are really looking forward to visiting and you saw their responses on tripadvisor.  this will notify them that you probably review properties on tripadvisor.  tell them if you are there for a birthday or anniversary or anything abnormal and were wondering if there was a room with a view or something else available.  tell them your reservation number, loyalty program number and if you have status with the program.  here is a response I just got from doing this:

Dear Mr. Dave,

We are eagerly awaiting your stay with us tonight and this weekend! I just wanted to let you know that we did have a complimentary two tier upgrade available for you, and I have blocked you in a lovely two room corner suite with a view of the Chicago River. I look forward to meeting you in person, and have a safe trip in!

the hotel is sold out for the weekend too so it's not like they just had rooms sitting around.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: July 13, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
protip on getting room upgrades:  go to tripadvisor and find the hotel you are staying at.  see if they respond to comments on tripadvisor, most of the good properties do.  get the person's name that is responding.  google it with the name of the hotel.  you will almost always find their email address.  send them an email telling them that you are really looking forward to visiting and you saw their responses on tripadvisor.  this will notify them that you probably review properties on tripadvisor.  tell them if you are there for a birthday or anniversary or anything abnormal and were wondering if there was a room with a view or something else available.  tell them your reservation number, loyalty program number and if you have status with the program.  here is a response I just got from doing this:

Dear Mr. Dave,

We are eagerly awaiting your stay with us tonight and this weekend! I just wanted to let you know that we did have a complimentary two tier upgrade available for you, and I have blocked you in a lovely two room corner suite with a view of the Chicago River. I look forward to meeting you in person, and have a safe trip in!

the hotel is sold out for the weekend too so it's not like they just had rooms sitting around.

where are you staying? i was supposed to fly out this morning and come back sunday. was going to stay here....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d674288-Reviews-Residence_Inn_Chicago_Downtown_River_North-Chicago_Illinois.html

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: July 13, 2012, 10:39:33 AM »
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d1235890-Reviews-TheWit_a_Doubletree_Hotel-Chicago_Illinois.html

right across the river.  we could have met on the bridge and slapped hands.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: July 13, 2012, 11:38:59 AM »
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d1235890-Reviews-TheWit_a_Doubletree_Hotel-Chicago_Illinois.html

right across the river.  we could have met on the bridge and slapped hands.

god that would've been glorious.

"hey sd"
"hey rd"
"where you guys headed"
"taste"
"oh. we just got back from there, have fun"
"sure will"
:highfive:

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: July 13, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »

Dear Mr. Dave,

Yeah I did this when we stayed at the Palmer House Hilton a couple months ago for our anniversary.  I sent them a Facebook message mentioning Trip Advisor and the name of the general manager (basically saying I would've emailed him directly but couldn't find his email address anywhere).  I told them we were in town for our 10 year anniversary and was hoping to get a room upgrade.  Then I Tweeted to them that we were excited about our upcoming trip and we had scheduled massages at the spa in the hotel.  They upgraded us to a huge corner suite and basically everyone we ran into at the hotel wished us a happy anniversary.  The suite was so big (big living room, dining room with a full bar, master bedroom) that on the last day before we checked out I was just walking around checking it out and found a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of sparkling wine sitting in a bucket of water.  It had been there since we checked in but I didn't see it until the day we checked out.  :facepalm:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: July 13, 2012, 03:23:27 PM »

Dear Mr. Dave,

where are you staying? i was supposed to fly out this morning and come back sunday. was going to stay here....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d674288-Reviews-Residence_Inn_Chicago_Downtown_River_North-Chicago_Illinois.html

I have spent many nights at this place. I always enjoy the suckers in the lobby.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: July 13, 2012, 05:27:38 PM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bank-fees-squeeze-retailers-032300069.html

:runaway:

Yeah, some retailers are going to try to add surcharges until they realize:
A. People spend more when not using cash.
B. People stop shopping at places altogether at places that make it a pain in the ass to buy things.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2440 on: July 13, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »
No legitimate retailer will ever charge customers for using a cc. Budget garbages places will but their clientele don't have cc's anyway.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: July 13, 2012, 05:34:17 PM »
Airlines won't even accept cash

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: July 17, 2012, 06:10:38 AM »
Damn, that sucks

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: July 17, 2012, 07:19:31 AM »
2 days in Chicago netted me almost 24k HH this weekend

2012 Q3 TRIPLE YOUR TRIP SYSTEMWIDE OFFE - theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel  12,248
Base Points - theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel  6,124
50% BONUS ON BASE POINTS - theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel  3,062
GOLD VIP BONUS - 25% 2012 - theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel  1,531 
AMEX CO BRAND ONLINE BOOKING BONUS - theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel  500 
AMEX CO BRAND ONLINE BOOKING BONUS - theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel  500 
DOUBLETREE TOP GUEST CHECK IN BONUS  50
DOUBLETREE TOP GUEST CHECK IN BONUS  50 

Really awesome hotel btw. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: July 17, 2012, 07:26:19 AM »
also, the 50k SW cards are back if anyone is interested.  rumblings that a new Ink Bold credit card will be announced and that the SPG will go to 30k again for a short time like it does every summer so hold off on getting the SPG until it does if you were going to jump on it. 

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: July 17, 2012, 07:49:24 AM »
also, the 50k SW cards are back if anyone is interested.  rumblings that a new Ink Bold credit card will be announced and that the SPG will go to 30k again for a short time like it does every summer so hold off on getting the SPG until it does if you were going to jump on it. 

:woot:

Time to cancel my current one that's coming up on being a year old.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: July 17, 2012, 07:51:19 AM »
yeah, I'm going to send mrs. dave a referral for the new 30k one when it comes out, then cancel mine, then have her send me a referral for another 30k one.  70k SPG, sure, why not. 

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: July 17, 2012, 07:51:31 AM »
Damn, that sucks

Yep.  I'm just now getting my 35K cc bonus too. 

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: July 17, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »
yeah, I'm going to send mrs. dave a referral for the new 30k one when it comes out, then cancel mine, then have her send me a referral for another 30k one.  70k SPG, sure, why not. 

It's probably another month or 2 out, right?  I know I didn't cancel mine last year until at least August, because  I didn't want to be in that purgatory period w/o card while using it and points in Florida, but it wasn't long after I cancelled that I got my new one and another 30K.