Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1005871 times)

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2200 on: May 08, 2012, 11:25:01 AM »
Airline CC points pretty much never count towards status.  Hotel CC points sometimes do.

Apparently they count towards the companion pass, but not A-list status. Which doesn't make much sense IMO. :dunno:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: May 08, 2012, 12:03:20 PM »
Airline CC points pretty much never count towards status.  Hotel CC points sometimes do.

Apparently they count towards the companion pass, but not A-list status. Which doesn't make much sense IMO. :dunno:

Yea, I was pretty surprised that they count towards the companion.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: May 09, 2012, 09:04:29 AM »
welp, it was bound to happen sooner or later.   I signed up for one of the Hilton HHonors cards and now can remember what the promo was supposed to be.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: May 09, 2012, 09:32:56 AM »
welp, it was bound to happen sooner or later.   I signed up for one of the Hilton HHonors cards and now can remember what the promo was supposed to be.

pretty simple solution: call the number on the back of the card and ask them.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: May 09, 2012, 10:33:11 AM »

pretty simple solution: call the number on the back of the card and ask them.

I'm pretty sure I can figure it out with some googling.    There are only so many Hilton cards.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: May 09, 2012, 11:50:30 AM »
RD, I was looking into getting the Southwest companion pass.  Question: From what I can tell, you're pretty much stuck spending all the points in Southwest or AirTran or something, no?  Or like $1000 in gift cards?  That kinda sucks

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: May 09, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
RD, I was looking into getting the Southwest companion pass.  Question: From what I can tell, you're pretty much stuck spending all the points in Southwest or AirTran or something, no?  Or like $1000 in gift cards?  That kinda sucks

what else would you spend them in? what were you hoping for?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: May 09, 2012, 12:19:55 PM »

Transferring them back out to hotels or some crap :( I just wouldn't want to spend points on Southwest as, with them being as cheap as they are, the return isn't going to be for as expensive/exotic returns.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: May 09, 2012, 12:24:27 PM »

Transferring them back out to hotels or some crap :( I just wouldn't want to spend points on Southwest as, with them being as cheap as they are, the return isn't going to be for as expensive/exotic returns.

you can transfer 120k southwest to airtran for 100 airtran points. getting 100 airtran points will get you an airtran companion pass that is good for a year and airtran flies to montego bay, cancun, cabo, bermuda, bahamas, puerto rico, etc. the bad thing is that airtran points expire one year from the date that you get them so you'd really have to travel a lot in the next 18 months.

http://www.airtran.com/cities/index_destinations.aspx

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: May 09, 2012, 12:45:58 PM »
That adds some.  I'm thinking I may do a bunch of domestic trips next year (+Tokyo) and work on pumping my other accounts in that time for some other international elite trips.  New Orleans/Vegas/Bahamas/Puerto Rico/San Fran could be a pretty decent value

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: May 09, 2012, 12:56:39 PM »
That adds some.  I'm thinking I may do a bunch of domestic trips next year (+Tokyo) and work on pumping my other accounts in that time for some other international elite trips.  New Orleans/Vegas/Bahamas/Puerto Rico/San Fran could be a pretty decent value

yeah. that's exactly what i'm doing. i'm actually getting ready to transfer 70k UR points over to southwest so i'll have 120k and then over to airtran. going to negril sometime this fall and the companion thing will be nice. then just use nothing but airtran for the next year or so and then when the year is up i should have around 600k AA miles saved up assuming they don't change anything they are currently doing in terms of offers and churning windows, etc.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: May 09, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »
How's the air tran award availability though? Darius says it sucks from kc. :dunno:

I'm just gonna use my sw companion pass and 120k points to fly domestic for the next couple of years and rack up a crap ton of aa miles.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: May 10, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
My plan for the bahamas:
Southwest apps for companion/airtran companion.
 Club Carlson promo for up to 134k points: going to do mileage runs at low cost radissons. Bonus points will get me a free night in the bahamas per stay. Essentially will end up with a $270 per night room for $90. Have friends doing it too, theyll transfer the points to me. Will stay 4 nights, saving about 700.
Link: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyaltytraveler/2012/05/10/radisson-country-inn-and-park-inn-brand-promotions-may-to-july-2012/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boardingarea%2Floyaltytraveler+%28Loyalty+Traveler%29

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: May 10, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »
My plan for the bahamas:
Southwest apps for companion/airtran companion.
 Club Carlson promo for up to 134k points: going to do mileage runs at low cost radissons. Bonus points will get me a free night in the bahamas per stay. Essentially will end up with a $270 per night room for $90. Have friends doing it too, theyll transfer the points to me. Will stay 4 nights, saving about 700.
Link: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyaltytraveler/2012/05/10/radisson-country-inn-and-park-inn-brand-promotions-may-to-july-2012/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boardingarea%2Floyaltytraveler+%28Loyalty+Traveler%29

assume you saw the freee 4500pt deal?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: May 10, 2012, 05:42:02 PM »
Yea, got that. Wouldn't of ever thought to give a whit about radisson points but they have some decent vacation spots. That, and it spares points I value much more

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: May 14, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »
I know there is a 80k priority club chase visa out there, but I just got a mailer saying after July 1 the priority club select visa will get you 80k after first use and platinum elite status for the life of the card (it's been mentioned that platinum doesn't get you much), just thought I would throw that out there, plus this thread looked lonely with SD being gone   :frown:
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2216 on: May 14, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »
Good post friend

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: May 16, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »
Paid for 8 nights at Hyatt on points and paid for $1,050 of our room charges with Hyatt gift cards.  Ended up about $450 out of pocket for remaining room charges.  Still earned 11,556 Hyatt points and 8 qualified nights torwards elite status somehow:

06 May 2012  14 May 2012  Grand Kauai  Stay  4,274  1,282  5,556  Points  View   Retrieve     
06 May 2012  14 May 2012  Grand Kauai  Bonus  0  0  1,000  Points     

I'm curious as to how I got the 1,000 points bonus on only 6 of the nights instead of all 8.  I'm more curious as to why I got it to begin with since I used points so I'm not going to call and ask for the other 2 nights bonus.  Also, since I did the diamond elite status challenge, I needed 12 nights in 3 months to keep diamond through Feb 2013.  I never planned to get those nights.  But, this award stay credited my account for 8 qualifying nights leaving me only 4 short.  I have nowhere to go in the next month and a half I have the diamond status but am tempted to book four nights in KC or Topeka or some cheap ass Hyatt and keep the status. 

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: May 21, 2012, 11:27:52 AM »
Need a new card.  What is the best deal out there right now? 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: May 21, 2012, 11:32:35 AM »

what do you want the card for? airline miles? hotel points? cash back? when did you last apply for cards and what was it/were they?

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: May 21, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »

what do you want the card for? airline miles? hotel points? cash back? when did you last apply for cards and what was it/were they?

Airline miles.  Would like Delta but I know the 35k is a little low compared to some of the other deals.  Last applied about a year and a half ago and got two BA 100k cards. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: May 21, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
Last applied about a year and a half ago and got two BA 100k cards.

my god, the world is your oyster friend.  How much can you spend on the card per month?

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: May 21, 2012, 12:10:40 PM »

my god, the world is your oyster friend.  How much can you spend on the card per month?

$1,500 - $3,000 each for two cards. 

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: May 21, 2012, 12:12:16 PM »

I also just made a purchase that I'm sure included a credit pull so I don't have to worry about credit damage affecting future purchases for a while. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: May 21, 2012, 12:15:45 PM »

You and the wife EACH sign up for BOTH of these cards at the same time:

https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/Apply.do?promocode=away7&ProspectID=81DDA16581FE4BF7A8024EEFC0ECFB3F&app=UNSOL&sc=4XK4IE31&m=XUSMZB2WENW&langId=EN&siteId=CB&B=S&screenID=3001

https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/Apply.do?promocode=away7&ProspectID=81DDA16581FE4BF7A8024EEFC0ECFB3F&app=UNSOL&sc=BXD4IE61&m=XUSMZB2WENW&langId=EN&siteId=CB&B=X&screenID=3033

You will have to spend $3k on each card in the first 4 months.  You will then be sitting on 212K AA miles (enough for 2 RT business class tickets to Europe or 5 RT coach tickets). 

I would also have each of you sign up for the US Air Mastercard (http://www.mostmiles.com/Chairmans) and the Chase United Explorer (http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/01/05/chase-united-60000-2/)  because they both only require one purchase and you would then have another 80k US Air miles and 100k United miles combined. 

Make sure you apply for all of them in the same day.

Once all of this is done check back and we will start building your hotel miles.  Godspeed.