Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004984 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2150 on: April 23, 2012, 09:34:13 PM »

yep. fully refundable. all of it. i just cancelled three roundtrip southwest tickets that were from kc to new york in september. i bought them a month ago or so. i still use the card and stuff so it's not like i only bought the flights and then cancelled them and don't make any other purchases on the card but i got a bunch of cards in january and between my wife and i had to spend 15k in four months. i don't know if i could've and really didn't want to spend the time worrying about it and also didn't want to do the whole amazon payments i pay you and you pay me thing or whatever.

just bought a ticket.  what happens if you cancel a card and you actually have a credit on the card from the refund?  will the card company send you a check or something?  I think this happened to me once a long time ago but I can't remember how it played out.

that makes the most sense. i'd call the number on the back of the card and ask them though.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2151 on: April 23, 2012, 11:01:37 PM »
I'm 24 and trying to maximize my credit score over the next year or two until I buy a house, so I can't do all this churning crap just yet but I do put pretty much everything on credit cards. According to creditkarma I have 7 revolving accounts:

- Chase Rapid Rewards Visa, my fave because it has a sweet plane on it and because the signup bonus flew me to Vegas for free
- Bank Americard Visa, most of my purchases go on this
- Discover More, use it for some bills
- Target Card, shitty dept store card but 5% instant savings is worth it with as much as I buy there
- Random Chase Card I got in college and never use, not even sure if it earns rewards
- Gap Visa, ok I lied its old navy
- Kohls Charge, literally signed up for it only to skip the massive line on black friday last year but they send me coupons a lot which I guess is technically a reward, idk

I have an Amex from work too and I have the option to get the rewards on it if I pay the annual fee but I haven't done enough traveling yet to justify it. Next year I probably will though.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2152 on: April 24, 2012, 06:12:02 AM »
GFA, how on earth did you end up with all those terrible credit cards? That list makes me very sad. 

sd suggestion:  You can probably cancel those store cards if you wanted to.  They aren't helping your credit.  They aren't hurting it either though unless you are carrying a balance on them.  Keep whichever of your credit cards you've had the longest.  For now, move all of your spending to that Southwest card as it will get your rewards until you get a better card for spend.  You are in good shape to start churning because you only have one Chase card.  I would get a couple 50k Citi AA cards.  I would also either get the 50k Chase Sapphire or the SPG Amex to move all of your normal spend onto.  No sense in letting it go to waste and both are better than spending on that SW card which is your current best bet.  You can legitimately get 5+ cards from where you are at currently without seeing anything negative on your credit.  And, having more available credit could actually help your score. 

PS.  if you or anyone else decides to get the SPG card let me know and I'll refer you for my own greedy benefit  ;)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: April 24, 2012, 09:04:58 AM »
If you are two years out from buying a house, a few more credit cards will help if you use them properly.  I am 2 months from buying a house so I am holding off until I've locked down my loan/rate.  Then I am getting back going again

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: April 24, 2012, 09:18:39 AM »
GFA, how on earth did you end up with all those terrible credit cards? That list makes me very sad. 

sd suggestion:  You can probably cancel those store cards if you wanted to.  They aren't helping your credit.  They aren't hurting it either though unless you are carrying a balance on them.  Keep whichever of your credit cards you've had the longest.  For now, move all of your spending to that Southwest card as it will get your rewards until you get a better card for spend.  You are in good shape to start churning because you only have one Chase card.  I would get a couple 50k Citi AA cards.  I would also either get the 50k Chase Sapphire or the SPG Amex to move all of your normal spend onto.  No sense in letting it go to waste and both are better than spending on that SW card which is your current best bet.  You can legitimately get 5+ cards from where you are at currently without seeing anything negative on your credit.  And, having more available credit could actually help your score. 

PS.  if you or anyone else decides to get the SPG card let me know and I'll refer you for my own greedy benefit  ;)

I didn't realize they were terrible.  Dammit. :(

I don't carry balances on anything. The two main things affecting my credit are average account age because I'm still young and number of hits on my credit over the last 2 years so that's why I've assumed I probably shouldn't do any churning.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: April 24, 2012, 09:21:26 AM »
They aren't hurting you or anything.  You could be getting a lot better returns on others. 

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: April 24, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »
start here: http://millionmilesecrets.com/hot-deals/

that whole site is full of good information, but that particular page is a good start for figuring out which cards to start with.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: April 24, 2012, 12:05:38 PM »
They aren't hurting you or anything.  You could be getting a lot better returns on others.

Any reccomendos to replace the boa card?  It's my main purchase card right now. It gives me 1 pt on every dollar, 2 pts on groceries and 3 pts on gas.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: April 24, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »

Any reccomendos to replace the boa card?  It's my main purchase card right now. It gives me 1 pt on every dollar, 2 pts on groceries and 3 pts on gas.

Yeah, the problem is that points do not equal points.  It all comes down to what your points are worth.  I use the SPG Amex for most spending and the Chase Sapphire Preferred for Travel and Dining as I get double points for those.  SPG points are transferable to most airline miles programs and are very valuable on hotel stays themselves.  Most people value them at between 3 and 4 cents each.  Chase Ultimate Rewards are transferable to a lot of hotel and airline programs as well.  Notably Hyatt which I value at close to SPG. 

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: April 24, 2012, 03:50:43 PM »
Tell CF3 what to do and he'll probably listen. 

All I have is a Chase Freedom Card, I got it about a year and a half ago and its the only card I've ever had.  I have good credit.  Tell me my next move. 

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: April 24, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »

All I have is a Chase Freedom Card, I got it about a year and a half ago and its the only card I've ever had.  I have good credit.  Tell me my next move.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=896.msg522993#msg522993
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: April 24, 2012, 04:16:49 PM »

oh yeah. 

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2162 on: April 24, 2012, 04:26:16 PM »

oh yeah.

Make that blog and this thread your go to resources and you'll be ok. I would start by applying for 2 citi AA cards (one visa and one amex) and the chase sapphire preferred, after that pick a hotel card, like the citi Hilton.
I'm purple down

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: April 24, 2012, 04:35:59 PM »
I use the SPG Amex for most spending and the Chase Sapphire Preferred for Travel and Dining as I get double points for those.  SPG points are transferable to most airline miles programs and are very valuable on hotel stays themselves.  Most people value them at between 3 and 4 cents each.

please explain to me why spgs are so valuable.  i've concentrated on miles because i don't have much use for hotel points, but it looks like i may missing a xfer oppy that is better than what i currently get for my spend.

my current spend goes to fill bonus reqs 1st, leftover to the cap one venture (basically 2% cashback for how i am using it).

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: April 24, 2012, 06:59:29 PM »
SPG are good and versatile because you can transfer them to almost every airline program at 1:1 (United is 2:1) and you also get a 5k bonus when you transfer 20k miles.  So, you transfer 60k SPG and you get 75k miles.  Programs Listed:

AA Advantage (1:1 exchange)
BA Executive Club (1:1 exchange)
United (2 Starpoints for 1 Mile)
US Airways Dividend Miles (1:1 exchange)
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club (1:1 exchange)

Also, they have great hotel awards as you can get Points & Dollar redemption:

1,200 Starpoints + $25
1,600 Starpoints + $30
2,800 Starpoints + $45   
4,000 Starpoints + $60   
4,800 Starpoints + $90   
8,000 Starpoints + $150   

instead of:

12,000 - 16,000   
20,000 - 25,000   
30,000 - 35,000 (Not available with cahs & points option)

It's easy to add up what the points are worth if you can compare the options once you know the nightly rate.  The cash and points option is always a very good deal.

Finally, you can get the 5th reward night free (for example, spend 40k points for 5 nights at a 10k hotel) and they have different redemptions with multiple nights and getting airline miles and other crap.  Tons of options. 

Again, if anyone wants this card please PM me your email address and name and I will send you a referral link.  you won't get anything more than you usually would but I'll get 5k SPG points  :D

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: April 24, 2012, 07:02:39 PM »

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: April 24, 2012, 07:14:38 PM »
does the spg Amex have an annual fee?
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: April 24, 2012, 07:36:54 PM »
does the spg Amex have an annual fee?

yeah

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: April 24, 2012, 08:21:54 PM »
hmph
emaw

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: April 24, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »
hmmm.  i just can't really use any more hotel points.  the xfer is good, but even with the bonus that's just 1.2 miles/dollar.  would be worth a churn but wouldn't be better for me as a spending card.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: April 24, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »
hmmm.  i just can't really use any more hotel points.  the xfer is good, but even with the bonus that's just 1.2 miles/dollar.  would be worth a churn but wouldn't be better for me as a spending card.

It's really it's versatility that makes it great.  If you definitely won't use them for actual hotel points ever then, yeah, an air card would probably be better.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: April 24, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »
It's really it's versatility that makes it great.  If you definitely won't use them for actual hotel points ever then, yeah, an air card would probably be better.

yeah.  i guess starwood is good for resort type areas?  and my points are usually bad deals in those areas.  but i'm usually (always) more of an urban/culture traveler anyways and it seems like i generally have lots of options in those places.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: April 24, 2012, 10:57:47 PM »

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: April 25, 2012, 09:10:54 AM »
hmph

Cancel each year.

I don't like to cancel cards because I don't want to bring down my avg acct age on my report.
emaw

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: April 25, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »
hmph

Cancel each year.

I don't like to cancel cards because I don't want to bring down my avg acct age on my report.

:rolleyes: