Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004172 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2127 on: April 21, 2012, 08:49:06 AM »
As soon as I get tomorrow's flight time home finalized, I'm going to go get drunk in Seattle. 

Succeeded at bumping up my flight to the early one and getting drunk.  Proceeded to wake up in downtown hotel at the minute early flight was to leave.  Will be back to KS at 9:30 p.m.  :flush:

Frontier's classic plus ticket was well worth it this trip.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: April 22, 2012, 12:13:35 PM »
combining southwest points and chase UR and then transferring over to airtran=amazing deal?

so i have a couple of southwest accounts w/ 50k just sitting in them. it's nice because it's flexible and not based on availibility but you also can't use them to fly anywhere cool. anyway you can apparently transfer over to airtran now for credits and 1,200 points is worth one credit. eights credits can get you a one way reward seat on anywhere airtran flies and 16 will get you a first class reward seat. airtran flies to cancun, bahamas, montego bay, aruba, etc.

if you get 100 reward credits in one year then you also get a free companion pass for a year kind of like you do on southwest. i currently have about 150,000 chase UR points. if i take 70k and move them over to a southwest account that already has 50k and then move the 120k over to airtran i will have 100 airtran points and a free companion pass for a year. 100 airtran points would get me 6 roundtrips anywhere they fly or three first class roundtrips anywhere they fly and then the companion pass doubles it effectively getting 12 roundtrips or 6 first class roundtrips to any of the places above. i mean myself and another person could both go on six roundtrip flights or three first class ones.

downside is that airtran points expire one year from when you get them and there's no way around it. that does suck. still though absolutely amazing value for 70k UR and 50k southwest right? am i missing something?

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/04/moving-airtran-credits-to-southwest-and-vice-versa/

http://www.airtran.com/cities/index_destinations.aspx

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: April 22, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »
daris, i dunno if you're missing something, but that's absolutely amazing value.  jmo, but i think that's worth quitting your job to fly six places over the next year with your lovely wife.

oh, that's right you have kids.  never mind.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: April 22, 2012, 12:54:11 PM »
combining southwest points and chase UR and then transferring over to airtran=amazing deal?

so i have a couple of southwest accounts w/ 50k just sitting in them. it's nice because it's flexible and not based on availibility but you also can't use them to fly anywhere cool. anyway you can apparently transfer over to airtran now for credits and 1,200 points is worth one credit. eights credits can get you a one way reward seat on anywhere airtran flies and 16 will get you a first class reward seat. airtran flies to cancun, bahamas, montego bay, aruba, etc.

if you get 100 reward credits in one year then you also get a free companion pass for a year kind of like you do on southwest. i currently have about 150,000 chase UR points. if i take 70k and move them over to a southwest account that already has 50k and then move the 120k over to airtran i will have 100 airtran points and a free companion pass for a year. 100 airtran points would get me 6 roundtrips anywhere they fly or three first class roundtrips anywhere they fly and then the companion pass doubles it effectively getting 12 roundtrips or 6 first class roundtrips to any of the places above. i mean myself and another person could both go on six roundtrip flights or three first class ones.

downside is that airtran points expire one year from when you get them and there's no way around it. that does suck. still though absolutely amazing value for 70k UR and 50k southwest right? am i missing something?

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/04/moving-airtran-credits-to-southwest-and-vice-versa/

They have some decent destinations but I wish they flew to St Lucia, St Martin, or the Turks

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: April 22, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »

Sounds like a good deal.  Could you theoretically get the companion pass then transfer some of the points back out to SW or no?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: April 22, 2012, 02:21:27 PM »

Sounds like a good deal.  Could you theoretically get the companion pass then transfer some of the points back out to SW or no?

yes i think so. the bummer would be that they would still expire exactly one year from when you initially transferred them to airtran and they would transfer back as credits and not points.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: April 23, 2012, 12:02:57 AM »
I think you can buy deadline extensions of your credits on airtran.  You'd still want to use most of them in that first year because it would be expensive to extend too many of them.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: April 23, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »
I think you can buy deadline extensions of your credits on airtran.  You'd still want to use most of them in that first year because it would be expensive to extend too many of them.

yeah. it's way to expensive to extend them. i would just have to get them now and book trips within the next 12 months. i could book trips at the end for six months out so i really would have 18 months to use them. i'd be just buying flights for neighbors at the end if i couldn't use them all. i would though. buy your own flights neighbors.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: April 23, 2012, 12:24:20 AM »
SW Chase a good deal? I am an amateur and will only probably do just one card at a time. If there is something better plz let me know.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: April 23, 2012, 12:32:33 AM »
SW Chase a good deal? I am an amateur and will only probably do just one card at a time. If there is something better plz let me know.

you shouldn't be an amateur for one. for two, it depends on what you want but yeah it's a good deal. you and your wife could get the personal and and then also get the biz version and do some other things and long story short end up with over three thousand dollars to use on southwest and two free companion passes for a year or tw. so like you could both use that money to buy a ticket and then you'd each get a person to fly free with you. ie-kids, etc. so it'd really be like getting over 6k to spend at anytime on southwest. you should really put more energy towards this thread imo. you'd like it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: April 23, 2012, 12:40:20 AM »

you shouldn't be an amateur for one. for two, it depends on what you want but yeah it's a good deal. you and your wife could get the personal and and then also get the biz version and do some other things and long story short end up with over three thousand dollars to use on southwest and two free companion passes for a year or tw. so like you could both use that money to buy a ticket and then you'd each get a person to fly free with you. ie-kids, etc. so it'd really be like getting over 6k to spend at anytime on southwest. you should really put more energy towards this thread imo. you'd like it.

the spending requirements scare me away from most of them. Got the personal. How long should I wait before I get the business?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: April 23, 2012, 12:45:16 AM »

the spending requirements scare me away from most of them. Got the personal. How long should I wait before I get the business?

1) there are no spending requirements on the southwest cards.
2) you prob don't have to wait long but you'd have to use your social and make up a story/business.
2) you'd also have to get the sapphire card and buy marriot points and then transfer to southwest or something weird i think. i'm not doing it though. see my airtran post above. that's the way to go for me.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: April 23, 2012, 01:23:07 AM »
I was just saying the spending requirements keep me an amateur.  Already have a chase sw personal on its way. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: April 23, 2012, 09:32:10 AM »
I was just saying the spending requirements keep me an amateur.  Already have a chase sw personal on its way. 
Ive never had a problem with them though I was concerned at first.  I just use my CC like I used to use my debit.  Granted, the most spend I was required was 3,500 in 3 months or something

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: April 23, 2012, 09:38:50 AM »
You can get creative if you have to. The spend should never discourage you from signing up.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: April 23, 2012, 09:53:54 AM »
You can get creative if you have to. The spend should never discourage you from signing up.

the first thing i do when i get a new card is to buy enough fully refundable southwest airline tickets to hit the minimum spend. then i cancel them when i get the points. the last thing i want to do is be around the end of the third month worrying about whether or not i've met the spend requirement.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2143 on: April 23, 2012, 02:09:17 PM »

the first thing i do when i get a new card is to buy enough fully refundable southwest airline tickets to hit the minimum spend. then i cancel them when i get the points. the last thing i want to do is be around the end of the third month worrying about whether or not i've met the spend requirement.

I usually don't have a problem meeting the min spend, but would like to do more cards at the same time. Could you describe this process in more detail? Do you just buy tickets a long ways out, then wait for the points to hit and cancel the tickets with the money going back on the same card? Basically taking a short term loan from SW for free ? Are all tickets on SW fully refundable?

TIA
I'm purple down

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2144 on: April 23, 2012, 02:13:28 PM »
Basically taking a short term loan from SW for free ?

it's the other way around.  you're giving SW a short term loan.  and you have to buy an "anytime" or "business select" ticket to have them refundable.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2145 on: April 23, 2012, 02:15:20 PM »

I usually don't have a problem meeting the min spend, but would like to do more cards at the same time. Could you describe this process in more detail? Do you just buy tickets a long ways out, then wait for the points to hit and cancel the tickets with the money going back on the same card? Basically taking a short term loan from SW for free ? Are all tickets on SW fully refundable?

TIA

After looking, do I just need to get the any time tickets? And they're fully refundable as in you get all the government fees back and there is no "you canceled a flight now you have to pay us $200" type thing? Sorry I'm just getting really excited about this possibility and it sounds to good to be true
I'm purple down

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: April 23, 2012, 02:16:38 PM »

it's the other way around.  you're giving SW a short term loan.  and you have to buy an "anytime" or "business select" ticket to have them refundable.

Yeah sorry, I got that switched around :love:

Do you do this too rams?
I'm purple down

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: April 23, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »

TIA

After looking, do I just need to get the any time tickets? And they're fully refundable as in you get all the government fees back and there is no "you canceled a flight now you have to pay us $200" type thing? Sorry I'm just getting really excited about this possibility and it sounds to good to be true

yep. fully refundable. all of it. i just cancelled three roundtrip southwest tickets that were from kc to new york in september. i bought them a month ago or so. i still use the card and stuff so it's not like i only bought the flights and then cancelled them and don't make any other purchases on the card but i got a bunch of cards in january and between my wife and i had to spend 15k in four months. i don't know if i could've and really didn't want to spend the time worrying about it and also didn't want to do the whole amazon payments i pay you and you pay me thing or whatever.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2148 on: April 23, 2012, 08:11:01 PM »

Yeah sorry, I got that switched around :love:

Do you do this too rams?

I haven't yet, but between me and my wife and my business, I've gotten 10 new cards in the past 2 months...so I gots me some spendin' to do. I'll probably buy a round trip ticket tonight.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: April 23, 2012, 09:24:47 PM »

yep. fully refundable. all of it. i just cancelled three roundtrip southwest tickets that were from kc to new york in september. i bought them a month ago or so. i still use the card and stuff so it's not like i only bought the flights and then cancelled them and don't make any other purchases on the card but i got a bunch of cards in january and between my wife and i had to spend 15k in four months. i don't know if i could've and really didn't want to spend the time worrying about it and also didn't want to do the whole amazon payments i pay you and you pay me thing or whatever.

just bought a ticket.  what happens if you cancel a card and you actually have a credit on the card from the refund?  will the card company send you a check or something?  I think this happened to me once a long time ago but I can't remember how it played out.