Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1003627 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1875 on: February 17, 2012, 04:50:47 PM »
SPG category changes start 3/1.  If you are going to be staying somehwere on points that is going up you need to book before 3/1.  If you are going to be staying somewhere that is going down, obviously wait until after 3/1 to book.  All the good Colorado and NYV properties are going up  :dubious:

https://lacek.hs.llnwd.net/e1/starwood/2012categorychange/SPG_CategoryChanges2012.pdf

I bet a lot of places will be adjusting upwards given the big bonuses lately.    I saw Hilton last week bumped everything up.

wut

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: February 17, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »
rick daris, just thought of something, you should take your family to hawaii with all your ultimate reward points and stay at a Hyatt and fly american and junk.  they would love the crap out of it.  maui would be amazing with your 7 kids. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: February 18, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »
rick daris, just thought of something, you should take your family to hawaii with all your ultimate reward points and stay at a Hyatt and fly american and junk.  they would love the crap out of it.  maui would be amazing with your 7 kids. 

we'll have nine by the time of the trip. just found out we're having twins!

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: February 19, 2012, 10:02:30 PM »
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/corporate/directory/new-hotels/all/detail.html?sortType=region&brandFilter=4P

Kansas
Manhattan
Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan - Opening November, 2012
530 Richards Dr.
Manhattan, Kansas 66502 United States
T: To be Announced

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: February 19, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »
Yeah, D.Scott was tweeting about "big things" happening there at the Clarion yesterday.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: February 20, 2012, 02:15:59 AM »
i can't find any cards i want right now, it's really pissing me off.  i want a business chase continental, but the decent offer seems targeted.  and i'd like anything non-chase that seems useful, but there's nothing.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: February 20, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »
i can't find any cards i want right now, it's really pissing me off.  i want a business chase continental, but the decent offer seems targeted.  and i'd like anything non-chase that seems useful, but there's nothing.

The hawaiian transfer thing Daris talked about is 70k hilton

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: February 20, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »
i can't find any cards i want right now, it's really pissing me off.  i want a business chase continental, but the decent offer seems targeted.  and i'd like anything non-chase that seems useful, but there's nothing.

I just did this one.  Was super easy.  I think I may also do the Bank of Hawaii one through BofA as well for another 70k.  Will probably do the US Air cards after that and maybe a Chase Ink after that if they still have the 50k.  

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: February 20, 2012, 12:07:16 PM »

I just did this one.  Was super easy.  I think I may also do the Bank of Hawaii one through BofA as well for another 70k.  Will probably do the US Air cards after that and maybe a Chase Ink after that if they still have the 50k. 

Yea, I got the hawaiian miles for inter-island flights and because it wasn't chase or citi and checks a different credit report.  I need to transfer and axe it

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: February 20, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »
Hilton sucks because their redemptions are really high but if you have status they go down on 4 night and longer stays.  you can stay at pretty much any non-waldorf hilton for 5 nights for 200k if you are at least a silver. 

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: February 20, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »
Hilton sucks because their redemptions are really high but if you have status they go down on 4 night and longer stays.  you can stay at pretty much any non-waldorf hilton for 5 nights for 200k if you are at least a silver. 

Everybody on here should at least be Gold this year.  :pbj:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: February 20, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »

Everybody on here should at least be Gold this year.  :pbj:

:thumbs:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: February 20, 2012, 12:35:22 PM »
if you've already done the aa citi personal and business and have a lot of chase apps w/in the last six months or year then it's kind of tough. a chase business (southwest or ink bold) would be good if you haven't done any citi business cards within the last year. the barclays cards (usair and even choice priveleges) are options. not great but they're both apparently churnable and have no spend to meet.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: February 20, 2012, 12:37:49 PM »
I wish cap. one would get off their asses with their new promo

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: February 20, 2012, 04:01:31 PM »

hilton points seem basically worthless.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: February 20, 2012, 04:04:37 PM »
if you've already done the aa citi personal and business and have a lot of chase apps w/in the last six months or year then it's kind of tough. a chase business (southwest or ink bold) would be good if you haven't done any citi business cards within the last year. the barclays cards (usair and even choice priveleges) are options. not great but they're both apparently churnable and have no spend to meet.

i could do the aa citi bus, but the flyertalk people act like citi checks on business legitimacy.    i guess i could do the usair, and consider it like a 6 year project to build up points.  but that's just not as motivating as points i could earn, churn and burn, if you know what i mean.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: February 20, 2012, 04:17:15 PM »

i could do the aa citi bus, but the flyertalk people act like citi checks on business legitimacy.    i guess i could do the usair, and consider it like a 6 year project to build up points.  but that's just not as motivating as points i could earn, churn and burn, if you know what i mean.

-usairways is good because you only have to use it once and then cancel a few months later and then reapply again, etc. it's free and they are members of star alliance so you can use usairway points to book flights on 20 other airlines. if you got the card twice you'd have 80,000 miles and card holders get some kind of discount when booking reward flights. like 50k is only 40k if you have the card. i wouldn't discount it so quickly, because for absolute minimal effort on your part you could have a pretty nice 100k flight in ten months or whatever.

http://travelsort.com/blog/how-to-find-star-alliance-award-space

-also, if it's been at least four months since you got the citi personals then i'd go ahead and apply for the business as well. use your social and say you sell stuff on ebay and just need a card to help keep track of business expenses if it gets to that point which i don't think it will.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: February 20, 2012, 04:19:53 PM »

yeah. i'm sitting perfect if they do that 100k thing again. two aa accounts w/ 100k in each and a ultimate rewards account with 130k. wasn't really in a position to take advantage of it last year. :cracksknuckles:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:25:46 PM by rick daris »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: February 20, 2012, 06:38:05 PM »
usairways is good because...

thank you, daris.  that is great advice.  these might not be the exact cards i want to rape, but who am i to turn down these drunken banks stumbling down this darkened alley?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: February 20, 2012, 06:51:49 PM »
usairways is good because...

thank you, daris.  that is great advice.  these might not be the exact cards i want to rape, but who am i to turn down these drunken banks stumbling down this darkened alley?

:lol: yeah, pretty much.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1896 on: February 20, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »

yeah. i'm sitting perfect if they do that 100k thing again. two aa accounts w/ 100k in each and a ultimate rewards account with 130k. wasn't really in a position to take advantage of it last year. :cracksknuckles:
I didn't do the last one either, do you have to wait until they announce the promo then get the card and turn in your points, or can you get the card now and be ready to go once the promo is announced?
I'm purple down

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: February 21, 2012, 08:38:35 AM »

they aren't worthless, you juyst have to know how to use them.    Best use is for Tier 1 properties and car rentals.      http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/reward-program-reviews/hilton-honors-points/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: February 21, 2012, 08:59:22 AM »

they aren't worthless, you juyst have to know how to use them.    Best use is for Tier 1 properties and car rentals.      http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/reward-program-reviews/hilton-honors-points/

A) nobody in the history of the world wants to stay at any tier 1 hotel.  further, I doubt they actually exist.
B) get status and use your points for extended stays at the highest level hotels.  you stay 6 nights and your 50k redemption per night drops to 37,500.  with 5 nights it's 40k. 
C) the cent per mile on Hilton is deceiving because there are many cards that give 60k+ HH for sign ups and the hilton amex gives 6 points per dollar on gas/groceris/others I can't think of and 3 per on everything else.  compare that to 1 SPG or Hyatt per dollar spent on their cards.  It's very easy to earn HH on spend and card signup because they have a ton of transfer partners.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: February 21, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »
Are the citi cards only churnable after 18 months no matter what the reward is?

I want to churn the citi thank you premiere, not the citi AA.