Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1005574 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1775 on: February 03, 2012, 01:57:21 PM »
wow, amazing.  as soon as i get to 260k aa, i'm quitting my job.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: February 03, 2012, 02:10:12 PM »
I mean, where would you go though?  Probably wouldn't get enough miles to cicumnavigate so you'd have to choose east or west?  Hawaii, Japan, New Zealand, Bora Bora, Austrailia, thailand, bali?  multiple stops in europe, turkey, morrocco, dubai, south africa, Mauritius, madagascar?  Combo south america and Australia/new zealand?  fly to 140 different canadian airports?  I mean, would be a blast to just plan it.  

i would probably go west, but that's just me. it looks like you could probably get fiji, new zealand, australia, and japan or something similar if you flew out of los angeles. the planning would be almost as fun as the trip.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1777 on: February 03, 2012, 02:46:30 PM »
etp- get more cards to collect the sign up bonuses and stop using that spg card if you've already collected the sign up bonus. cancel that spg card before the year is up and then apply for it again two years from now to again collect the sign up bonus. it's all about sign up bonuses and not using some single stupid card to buy coffee w/ every morning. :twocents:

Can you get the sign up bonus twice on the same card? I thought most of them limited it to first time card holders?
I'm purple down

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: February 03, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »
etp- get more cards to collect the sign up bonuses and stop using that spg card if you've already collected the sign up bonus. cancel that spg card before the year is up and then apply for it again two years from now to again collect the sign up bonus. it's all about sign up bonuses and not using some single stupid card to buy coffee w/ every morning. :twocents:

Can you get the sign up bonus twice on the same card? I thought most of them limited it to first time card holders?

all cards issued by chase are just once. pretty sure you only have to wait two years for spg amex. 18 months for personal AA citicards. 6 months for AA business. one year for us airways. there are some others that are churnable as well. no chase cards though.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: February 03, 2012, 03:09:25 PM »

all cards issued by chase are just once. pretty sure you only have to wait two years for spg amex. 18 months for personal AA citicards. 6 months for AA business. one year for us airways. there are some others that are churnable as well. no chase cards though.

I waited less than a month I think on SPG AMEX.  It's probably about 30 pages back in this thread.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: February 03, 2012, 03:12:36 PM »

I waited less than a month I think on SPG AMEX.  It's probably about 30 pages back in this thread.

this flies directly in the face of almost all of the other information out there about this. are you sure you didn't just cancel a personal and apply for a business or something?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: February 03, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »

you just got the 10k though iirc.  you can always get that.  to get the extra 15-20k you have to wait a bit. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: February 03, 2012, 03:42:46 PM »
No, it was awesome.  I canceled the first personal (the one when we all got both personal and business cards simultaneously and got 60-70K points total), and then promptly signed up for another personal under a 30K offer.  I got the first 10K right away on my first spend and the other 20K about 2 months later when I hit $2500.

You might remember how I was kind of pissed about it because my intent in cancelling the first one was hoping they'd give me 5K or something to keep it.  Worked out much, much better this way though.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: February 03, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »

hmmmm. just read that where you might be able to somewhat churn the spg if you don't give them your spg number when you apply and just let them assign you a new one. is that what you did trim?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: February 03, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »

you just got the 10k though iirc.  you can always get that.  to get the extra 15-20k you have to wait a bit. 

hmmmm. just read that where you might be able to somewhat churn this if you don't give them your spg number when you apply and just let them assign you a new one.

I gave them my SPG number.  Smooth sailing.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: February 03, 2012, 04:39:37 PM »

What about that video where the dude canceled and then reapplied right after he got off the phone. Was that bullshit?  :confused:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: February 03, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »
The AA waiting period has nothing to do with when you cancel.  Is has to do with when you applied. 

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: February 03, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »
The AA waiting period has nothing to do with when you cancel.  Is has to do with when you applied. 

Oh well that's fantastic news!  :D

:fatty:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: February 03, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »

Oh well that's fantastic news!  :D

:fatty:

again, it's supposedly 18 months for the personal ones and 6 for the business.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: February 03, 2012, 09:25:23 PM »
Spend $250 at Nordstroms...get your Nordstroms order plus a RT ticket to ORD or DFW:

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/02/amazing-deal-alert-36-british-airways-avios-per-dollar-spent-at-nordstrom/

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: February 03, 2012, 10:03:26 PM »
Spend $250 at Nordstroms...get your Nordstroms order plus a RT ticket to ORD or DFW:

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/02/amazing-deal-alert-36-british-airways-avios-per-dollar-spent-at-nordstrom/

OK...so I signed up for a BA Executive Club account and went through the whole process, but how do I get the points?  If I click on shop now, it just opens a new window to Nordstrom.  Where do I enter the NORDX3 promo?  Daddy needs a new suit.  :gocho:

Also, I get the impression that Avios are the same and interchangeable with AAdvantage points.  Is that right?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: February 03, 2012, 10:22:36 PM »

OK...so I signed up for a BA Executive Club account and went through the whole process, but how do I get the points?  If I click on shop now, it just opens a new window to Nordstrom.  Where do I enter the NORDX3 promo?  Daddy needs a new suit.  :gocho:

Also, I get the impression that Avios are the same and interchangeable with AAdvantage points.  Is that right?

man oh man, if this was flyertalk.....

anyway, I haven't done it but I imagine you are checking out at nordstroms and you have that box to enter a promo code and you enter that.  dunno though, haven't done it.

AA and BA are not interchangeable.  You will get Avios (BA) points.  They can be used on AA flights (or any other One World flights http://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/ ) but not at that carrier's redemption rate.  Avios recently changed the crap out of their program to make their miles an actual mileage award so the further you fly the more it costs.  So, it costs a lot more miles to go long international routes.  BUT, you can use them to go OMA/MCI to ORD/DFW for 9k round trip.  This was a godsend to KSU Cat fans wanting to go to the Cotton Bowl this year because it would have previously taken 25k RT to go KC to DFW instead of the new 9k figure.  BA basically got better for flying AA metal in the continental USA (because most of us are in the midwest) while getting worse for long haul flights.  BA sucks ass for flying to Europe though because they will charge you fuel taxes even if flying AA metal (AA doesn't charge these).  You can book an award MCI to LHR with avios and it will still cost you, like, $400 on top of your miles.  Using AA for the same flight would cost you the miles plus the usual $5 booking fee.  

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: February 03, 2012, 10:29:14 PM »

OK...so I signed up for a BA Executive Club account and went through the whole process, but how do I get the points?  If I click on shop now, it just opens a new window to Nordstrom.  Where do I enter the NORDX3 promo?  Daddy needs a new suit.  :gocho:

Also, I get the impression that Avios are the same and interchangeable with AAdvantage points.  Is that right?

*disclaimer that i wrote this after sd and i'm just talking about flights within the us and this was my response before reading his*

no. and this is where it gets kind of confusing...

avios are potentially a lot better or a lot worse depending on where you are and where you are flying. avios are based on segments. an example- manhattan to dallas or manhattan to chicago or vise versa is only 4500 avios one way or 9000 roundtrip. this is great because it is based on a segment. aa would be 25k because they are not segment based and charge you miles based on if you are going north america to north america. avios would maybe be bad in terms of miles needed if you are going from mhk to dfw to miami to key west because you are using per segment from each place to each place and not a standard from one to the other.

you can google "avios miles redemption" to find out how many ba avios you need to make each segment. let me know if it doesn't make sense. avios is amazing if you live in dallas or miami or something because if you are in miami, you could use 9k to fly roundtrip to montego bay jamaica roundtrip but if you are using aa miles it would take you 35k for the same roundtrip. if you fly out of dfw and want to go to anywhere in mexico then it is 15k roundtrip on avios as opposed to 35k standard on aa rountrip.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:38:33 PM by rick daris »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: February 03, 2012, 10:33:07 PM »
rick daris' descripto is better because I didn't even know it was segments.  you guys should have been at the pak last weekend.  it was basically travel/miles/points talk the entire time.  really got intense. 

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: February 03, 2012, 11:07:47 PM »

*disclaimer that i wrote this after sd and i'm just talking about flights within the us and this was my response before reading his*

avios are potentially a lot better or a lot worse depending on where you are and where you are flying. avios are based on segments. an example- manhattan to dallas or manhattan to chicago or vise versa is only 4500 avios one way or 9000 roundtrip. this is great because it is based on a segment. aa would be 25k because they are not segment based and charge you miles based on if you are going north america to north america. avios would maybe be bad in terms of miles needed if you are going from mhk to dfw to miami to key west because you are using per segment from each place to each place and not a standard from one to the other.

you can google "avios miles redemption" to find out how many ba avios you need to make each segment. let me know if it doesn't make sense. avios is amazing if you live in dallas or miami or something because if you are in miami, you could use 9k to fly roundtrip to montego bay jamaica roundtrip but if you are using aa miles it would take you 35k for the same roundtrip. if you fly out of dfw and want to go to anywhere in mexico then it is 15k roundtrip on avios as opposed to 35k standard on aa rountrip.

So why does the whole BA website act Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) when I try to see what flights would be from Kansas City to Cancun?  Or Kansas City to LA?  It acts like if it's not a direct flight it can't do it.   :confused:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: February 03, 2012, 11:17:17 PM »
it's an unholy pain in the ass to book BA points on other carriers sometimes.  I have not booked any non-domestic BA on AA awards so I can't speak to that directly but when booking domestics I would check AA and find the flights that have the lower level booking availability on AA and call BA and give them the flight numbers and they could book them. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: February 03, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »
sometimes they would say they have no availability and I would give them the specific flight numbers and, I'll be damned, there it is. 

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: February 03, 2012, 11:21:06 PM »
it's an unholy pain in the ass to book BA points on other carriers sometimes.  I have not booked any non-domestic BA on AA awards so I can't speak to that directly but when booking domestics I would check AA and find the flights that have the lower level booking availability on AA and call BA and give them the flight numbers and they could book them. 

Well that makes me feel less stupid. Thanks.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: February 03, 2012, 11:22:21 PM »
if you can't get them to come up on the BA system and you call and they get them and book them and try to charge you the phone booking fee tell them to go eff themselves because they wouldn't come up on the BA system and they won't charge the booking fee.  they are cool about it.  

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: February 03, 2012, 11:26:23 PM »

So why does the whole BA website act Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) when I try to see what flights would be from Kansas City to Cancun?  Or Kansas City to LA?  It acts like if it's not a direct flight it can't do it.   :confused:

too drunk. will tell you tomorrow or sunday. bottom line is that you are using their (ba) site to try and book multiple legs and you should use aa.com to try and find code t codes. you cannot book or find multiple legs on the ba site is the bottom line. sd is basically telling you this. you just have to find it through other sites (aa.com in your case) and then call in to book. you won't be able to do it online.  ba site is barbage.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:28:21 PM by rick daris »