Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004695 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1575 on: December 06, 2011, 11:02:28 PM »
Well, looks like I am going to try to cash in my BA rewards by flying 11 people round trip to the Cotton bowl.  Seems like that would make the CC plenty worth it and I don't imagine I will have to pay for a beer the whole time I'm down there.

:sdeek:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: December 07, 2011, 10:06:42 PM »
Well, looks like I am going to try to cash in my BA rewards by flying 11 people round trip to the Cotton bowl.  Seems like that would make the CC plenty worth it and I don't imagine I will have to pay for a beer the whole time I'm down there.

I used 18k Avios on 2 tickets and 9250 Avios on a rental car.    Great deal...so much better than AA.    Hell, same flights were 60k AA miles.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: December 08, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »

I used 18k Avios on 2 tickets and 9250 Avios on a rental car.    Great deal...so much better than AA.    Hell, same flights were 60k AA miles.

I'll have to look into the rental car.  Thanks for the heads up

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: December 10, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »
so I've had the citi AA visa for 3 months but I've got my min spend met and have the points in the AA account. I called to cancel the account and they offered me 2 additional points per mile per dollar spent. So now I'm getting 3 miles/ $1 spent for the next 6 months, then after that bonus ends I'll just call and cancel, it pays to be  :kstategrad:  :gocho:
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: December 10, 2011, 04:37:41 PM »
pretty decent.  would rather have the lump sum bonus though.  they gave me 5k last time iirc. 

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: December 10, 2011, 05:32:53 PM »
pretty decent.  would rather have the lump sum bonus though.  they gave me 5k last time iirc. 

I'll have to try that next time, I was pretty  :excited: just to get any thing from them, considering I've only had the card 3 months
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: December 10, 2011, 05:34:27 PM »

I'll have to try that next time, I was pretty  :excited: just to get any thing from them, considering I've only had the card 3 months

oh yeah, I wasn't trying to knock it.  great to have.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: December 10, 2011, 11:31:52 PM »
i don't like the whole cancel thing.  the time on a couple of cards is coming due, and i'm dreading it.  i hope i don't hurt any of their feelings, they've been so kind to me.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: December 10, 2011, 11:34:37 PM »
i don't like the whole cancel thing.  the time on a couple of cards is coming due, and i'm dreading it.  i hope i don't hurt any of their feelings, they've been so kind to me.

paypal me five dollars and i'll do it for you.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: December 10, 2011, 11:40:40 PM »

we can probably work something out.  didn't you have some rodents you wanted killed?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: December 10, 2011, 11:44:10 PM »

we can probably work something out.  didn't you have some rodents you wanted killed?

there was a garter snake in my basement a couple of months ago. about the size of a medium sized earthworm. what in the world was he doing down there? had to paper scissor rock with everybody in the house to find out who had to grab him and take him outside. absolutely horrible.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: December 10, 2011, 11:46:36 PM »
there was a garter snake in my basement a couple of months ago. about the size of a medium sized earthworm. what in the world was he doing down there? had to paper scissor rock with everybody in the house to find out who had to grab him and take him outside. absolutely horrible.

trying to find somewhere to pass the winter without freezing.  you probably killed him with your rock-paper-scissor death lottery.  i hope everyone in your house had fun.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: December 10, 2011, 11:54:47 PM »

trying to find somewhere to pass the winter without freezing.  you probably killed him with your rock-paper-scissor death lottery.  i hope everyone in your house had fun.

i eventually grabbed him and put him back outside so yeah, probably did kill him in the long run. it was all the way back in september though so he prob had a few good weeks.

the credit card cancel is actually extremely easy. just call and say that you need to cancel, they might ask you why and you just tell them the truth. you are cancelling because it's close to a year and they are going to hit you with some fee. they might (maybe/maybe not) ask you to reconsider but really just say no again and it should be done and quick and easy.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: December 10, 2011, 11:56:17 PM »
you could email them and tell them you want to cancel and are deaf and can't call :dunno: bet they don't give you crap but I've never been deaf before so maybe they do

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: December 10, 2011, 11:57:52 PM »
you could email them and tell them you want to cancel and are deaf and can't call :dunno: bet they don't give you crap but I've never been deaf before so maybe they do

would prob work but would be weird that you don't have tty.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: December 11, 2011, 12:01:33 AM »
oh, he probably just went in your basement by mistake then.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: December 11, 2011, 12:04:15 AM »
sys, if it helps the people you are talking to are $7 an hour call center kids who have a script to follow.  that script could lead to extra miles though  ;)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: December 11, 2011, 12:15:46 AM »
sys, if it helps the people you are talking to are $7 an hour call center kids who have a script to follow.  that script could lead to extra miles though  ;)

would they be offended if i ask them what i need to say to let them give me more miles?  i don't want to breach etiquette.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: December 11, 2011, 12:20:48 AM »

would they be offended if i ask them what i need to say to let them give me more miles?  i don't want to breach etiquette.

probably not.  unless their script addresses that.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: December 11, 2011, 12:21:45 AM »

i mean, you could easily ask them what they can give you if you keep the card. they aren't going to be authorized to give you much though. credit cards are there for the intial sign up imo and nothing more. churn and burn. how long has it been since you've got one? what all do you have? i'm guessing it's time to get rid of these two that you are talking about and sign up for two new ones.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: December 11, 2011, 12:26:14 AM »
i'm guessing it's time to get rid of these two that you are talking about and sign up for two new ones.

there don't seem to be many good offers now.  i've got the cap one venture coming up in march and then i can't recall which one next, something chase i'm sure.

the venture card seems kinda bad because it seems like the points would disappear if i don't use them first.  so i guess i have to figure out a way to use them.  unless i can maybe get a 2nd venture card that the points would transfer too.  i should probably check instead of waiting till the last minute.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: December 11, 2011, 05:08:59 PM »

Been dreading this myself.  Does it matter when you cancel?  I mean, the fee obviously hits at a year, but do I need to wait up until right before or can I just cancel 5 months in? 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: December 11, 2011, 05:33:47 PM »

Been dreading this myself.  Does it matter when you cancel?  I mean, the fee obviously hits at a year, but do I need to wait up until right before or can I just cancel 5 months in? 

you can cancel five months in if you want and you already have the signup bonus.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: December 11, 2011, 06:47:51 PM »
Other than seeing the points in your account canceling the card is probably the second best part of churning.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: December 12, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »

Tried sending an email through the system asking to waive the fee or give more miles to keep the cards -- got a "please call in" response.