Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1006443 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1425 on: October 22, 2011, 08:46:59 AM »
what 100k offer?  Sapphire?  Because, I got that too.  I also got the SW 50k offer the first go around.  Also the United 50k Chase offer.  Do you think the offfers are by bank?

Saphire I think.  They are all blue and from Chase.  How many Chase cards can I have? 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: October 22, 2011, 08:53:25 AM »
You can have 3 or 4 at a time depending on your credit.  sometimes they will deny you and you have to call and shift around credit.  don't apply for another chase card for about 45 days after the last application.  I currently have the Sapphire, Hyatt and SW cards all by Chase.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: October 22, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
Anyone have the link to that Marriott properties double point promotion thingy?  I think I signed up for the right one, but want to be sure.  Will be staying at a Marriott property about 9 -12 days a month for quite some time going forward.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: October 23, 2011, 01:00:16 AM »
The Chase SW 50k card bonus is back for a limited time for anyone interested.  Will get you roughly 2 1/2 RTs to Vegas if you don't mind flying SW.

How about MCI to SFO? Here I come bayareacat
also any other really good cc deals out there now? one for hotel/do not care which one would be great.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:08:33 AM by yoga-like_abana »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: October 23, 2011, 09:14:44 AM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: October 23, 2011, 01:54:57 PM »
good marriott deal

https://www.mychasecreditcards.com/4000041

I already have two in queue with Chase...but I wish I had submitted this one.

Offline SpudCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: October 23, 2011, 08:55:08 PM »
We have a friends wedding in May 2012 that will either be in Jamaica or Cabo. I want both of us to fly for free. What should I do? I'm willing for both of us to get a new card to make this happen. Both of us have great credit and neither has been rejected by an application. Although, I don't care about our credit score right now b/c we refinanced and we don't plan to purhcase a new vehicle for a few years.

Also, is there something else I should be using daily other than my SW card? I'm happy with it b/c I've probably gotten 4-6 free round trip flights out of it over the course of the year of owning it and we like to fly SW and travel often.

Lastly, should we have a different AMEX card for Costco purchases to rake in some better point action?

Wouldn't worry about a different card for Costco.  Does SW not fly to Jamaica or Cabo?  I have no idea what their route map is outside of the US (if any).  You and the wife could each sign up for an AA Citi 50k card or the 50k Sapphire card to get there and back.  You will want to get on this asap as reward flights to vacation destinations are hard to come by.  Check for availability of award seats on AA for your dates before getting the cards and cross your fingers you get the points before they sell out.  May be too late for May 2012 on some carriers.  The good thing about the Sapphire card is 50k points will also get you about $650 towards a flight if you book through Chase.  Probably your best option at this point.  Also a great card.  double miles on dinining and travel and the points transfer to many different carriers.

Thanks SD. I did look at AA flights in May using rewards and it was around 50-60k for one roundtrip flight, depending on which airport in Jamaica. As of now you can get tickets so hopefully that will still be the case in a few months. I went ahead and applied for 2 AA cards, one being a Visa and one being AMEX under my wifes name. I found a website that said if you apply for both on the same day, it won't recognize you as a previous account holder and will allow you to get 100k points in total, 50k for each. She was approved for both. Each card requires $2,500 to be spent in 4 months. I'll sub the AA Amex for the costco Amex that she currently has, and then switch all of my auto drafts to the visa and both spending requirements should be met by January. We'll probably only be able to use the points on one of our roundtrip flights but it's better than nothing. I figured if I also got 2 cards under my name to get the 100k, I probably wouldn't be able to meet the spending requirements on all 4. Once hers is met, I'll either apply for the Sapphire or do the exact same AA application, getting 2 cards on the same day.

Regardless, if I can't use her 100k points in May, we'll find use for them later and possibly get 4 roundtrip domestic flights out of it.

the southwest cards would give you a shot at it as well because southwest is acquiring airtran and airtran flies to montego bay. the question is will they be able to roll airtran into southwest by may of next year? maybe. maybe not.

I've already exhausted the introductory points with SW, both of us have a card. We also just stripped our account of the remaining points, booking a trip to Vegas for March Madness. The only way I'd be able to get points on SW would be the points awarded for monthly spending, which won't get us to where we need to be by May. I think AA is about my only option for getting at least one of us to Jamaica for free (which is the likely destination for the wedding).

Yes!  Chodo, I haven't yet checked out the hotel of choice, but will likley so tomorrow.  March Madness is going to be fantastic. 

On a complete side note (not necessarily a hijack attempt), if anyone is coming out and can afford to stay at the Venetian (especially on the company dime), I'd highly recommend it.  Very impressed thus far.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: October 24, 2011, 08:52:56 AM »

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: October 25, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
I was reading the fine print for the AA rewards program, and it said you have to use/gain points in a 18 month period or they take them away from you, but if I get close to the deadline I can get a magazine subscription or some crap for 300 miles and I'm good for the next 18 months right?

Also I want to apply for the Chase Marriott, SW, and Sapphire Preferred, but Chase is apparently sticklers (SD?) about having to many of their cards at once or applying for to many at one time, think I can get by with 3 at once? I currently have 0 chase cards, (I'm an authorized user on my wife's Chase Freedom if that matters).
I'm purple down

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: October 25, 2011, 11:28:12 PM »
1.  get a no annual fee card to record a transaction every 18 months, or churn a 1 year waived that frequently.

2.  i got 3 chases while having 0 in annual income, i don't think they're too stickly about anything.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: October 26, 2011, 07:01:12 AM »
you should be ok.  I would either apply for all 3 chase cards on the same day or you will have to space out your applications by like 45 days though.  also, yeah what sys said, just make one purchase on the card or something to refresh the mileage expiration.  whenever you accrue or spend miles in any way it refreshes the expiration on all of them.  your magazine idea would also work.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: October 26, 2011, 09:01:18 AM »
Best deal for rental car???  I used Marriott points for Hertz once but I think it is a ripoff. I only need for a weekend so I guess I should just pay  :dunno: haven't paid for any travel related stuff in a while.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: October 26, 2011, 09:05:20 AM »
Best deal for rental car???  I used Marriott points for Hertz once but I think it is a ripoff. I only need for a weekend so I guess I should just pay  :dunno: haven't paid for any travel related stuff in a while.

yeah, never use other program miles for rental cars.  just pay for it.  make sure to sign up for the rewards program as it takes no time at all to get free weekend days. 

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: October 26, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »
I was reading the fine print for the AA rewards program, and it said you have to use/gain points in a 18 month period or they take them away from you, but if I get close to the deadline I can get a magazine subscription or some crap for 300 miles and I'm good for the next 18 months right?

Also I want to apply for the Chase Marriott, SW, and Sapphire Preferred, but Chase is apparently sticklers (SD?) about having to many of their cards at once or applying for to many at one time, think I can get by with 3 at once? I currently have 0 chase cards, (I'm an authorized user on my wife's Chase Freedom if that matters).

You could also sign a card up for one of the AA dining rewards programs or shopping programs. Then if you make a purchase at a participating restaurant or store it will add miles to your account.

I have the Chase Continental and Chase British Airways cards and just got the Marriott card (have to bitch about upping bonus from 50 to 70,000  :angry:). They haven't stickled yet.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: October 26, 2011, 10:12:33 AM »
I have the Chase Continental and Chase British Airways cards and just got the Marriott card (have to bitch about upping bonus from 50 to 70,000  :angry:). They haven't stickled yet.

I'm guessing you should cancel your Chase Continental before they try to convert it to a Chase United and preclude you from signing up for a good Chase United bonus if they ever have one.  sd, rd?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: October 26, 2011, 10:14:28 AM »

I'm guessing you should cancel your Chase Continental before they try to convert it to a Chase United and preclude you from signing up for a good Chase United bonus if they ever have one.  sd, rd?

yeah, prolly.  unless you need the conty card for some sort of benefit coming up.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: October 26, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »
chase continental (one pass) is a pretty good card.  free bag, primary coverage on rentals.  i have it targeted as a keeper if they'll waive the fee when it comes due.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: October 26, 2011, 08:13:56 PM »
guys,

i've been doing this cc stuff for a couple of years now, but sometimes it's all just still amazing to me. like, i'm going to get two of those sw chase cards. i'll spend $140 to get them and then i'll use each card once. for doing that, i then get $1500 to spend on southwest. i mean sometimes i just wtf and shake my head at these things. wtf. right guys?  :dunno:

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: October 26, 2011, 09:09:57 PM »
guys,

i've been doing this cc stuff for a couple of years now, but sometimes it's all just still amazing to me. like, i'm going to get two of those sw chase cards. i'll spend $140 to get them and then i'll use each card once. for doing that, i then get $1500 to spend on southwest. i mean sometimes i just wtf and shake my head at these things. wtf. right guys?  :dunno:

do your friends and family still say its too good to be true and scoff when you bring it up?  I told my family and close friends thinking it would be great for them too and not a damn one of them even tried it.  I mean i guess it's more for us then but talk about trying to hand someone a wad of cash for free and them telling you to eat a dick.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: October 26, 2011, 09:16:37 PM »
guys,

do your friends and family still say its too good to be true and scoff when you bring it up?  I told my family and close friends thinking it would be great for them too and not a damn one of them even tried it.  I mean i guess it's more for us then but talk about trying to hand someone a wad of cash for free and them telling you to eat a dick.

yeah. i don't really talk about it anymore. got the idea that they thought i was trying to pyramid scheme them or something. was weird. i've had a few people do it upon me telling them about it. one is getting two free roundtrip tickets to grand cayman next summer. he seems happy i guess.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: October 27, 2011, 09:56:37 AM »
1.  get a no annual fee card to record a transaction every 18 months, or churn a 1 year waived that frequently.

2.  i got 3 chases while having 0 in annual income, i don't think they're too stickly about anything.

do all rewards programs have the 18 month rule or some form of it, or is it just AA? I tried to look at SW's but couldn't find anything in their fine print
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: October 27, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »
every program has their own rules.  some have a year.  some longer.  some (delta) don't expire.  a great benefit of awardwallet is that it tracks the expiration dates on all of your points for you.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: October 27, 2011, 10:15:44 AM »
For those of you with the Priority Club Visa, how long did it take after first purchase for your miles to credit?  We may be going to NYC in December and I got an 80k targeted priority club offer which would get me 2 nights at the Intercontinental.  Don't want to get it and not get the miles in time though.  

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: October 27, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »
Went ahead and applied for the Priority Club 80k.  Instant approval.  Now have 4 Chase which is the most I've had at any one time.  Will cancel the SW card soon but didn't have the balls to cancel yet since I've only had it a couple months. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: October 27, 2011, 08:41:53 PM »
Went ahead and applied for the Priority Club 80k.  Instant approval.  Now have 4 Chase which is the most I've had at any one time.  Will cancel the SW card soon but didn't have the balls to cancel yet since I've only had it a couple months. 

Don't know if there is a way to spend points on it, but ambassador status gives you free run of the mini bar/upgrades at the ICs.  Its really one of the better programs for status IF you're going to stay at an IC a couple decently long stays in a year.  Just sucks the ICs are few and far between