Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1003696 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1150 on: July 31, 2011, 10:32:13 PM »
hey, for the credit card Ron Princes out there (scary smart about cc!) - I'm assuming a convenience check would count towards the minimum spend for the SPG Amex deal?    I'm thinking about paying off our car and using a convenience check then payng off the card with the cash, meeting my minimum spend.    Possible?

Ummmm, of course.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1151 on: August 01, 2011, 06:19:57 AM »
hey, for the credit card Ron Princes out there (scary smart about cc!) - I'm assuming a convenience check would count towards the minimum spend for the SPG Amex deal?    I'm thinking about paying off our car and using a convenience check then payng off the card with the cash, meeting my minimum spend.    Possible?

I don't think so.  Also, i think you get charged a fee (2-5%) for using a conv. check. I've read where a lot of the banks will also charge interest beginning the date the check is cashed.  could be wrong as i've never used one.   Report back on findings.  If it were this easy I would just pay my mortgage using one each month. 

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:00:10 AM by steve dave »

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: August 01, 2011, 08:29:47 AM »
hey, for the credit card Ron Princes out there (scary smart about cc!) - I'm assuming a convenience check would count towards the minimum spend for the SPG Amex deal?    I'm thinking about paying off our car and using a convenience check then payng off the card with the cash, meeting my minimum spend.    Possible?

I don't think so.  Also, i think you get charged a fee (2-5%) for using a conv. check. I've read where a lot of the banks will also charge interest beginning the date the check is cashed.  could be wrong as i've never used one.   Report back on findings.  If it were this easy I would just pay my mortgage using one each month. 

There is a fee for using convenience checks 99% of the time.  Sometimes when you sign up for a card they may have 1 free convenience check per year, or they will allow you 1 free one for the life of the card and the rest they will charge you for.  It's like cash advances. . . except not usually as bad interest-rate wise.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: August 01, 2011, 08:32:02 AM »
SPG AMEX refused to waive my annual fee.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: August 01, 2011, 08:39:36 AM »

yeah. i don't think it works that way either. plus i'm sure the check has a fee like sd said and im pretty sure it will be counted as a cash advance and not a charge. this guy has the most comprehensive list of ways to meet minimum spends that i've ever seen. some are obvious. others not so much. there is a company (chargesmart) that allows you to pay your mortgage by using a credit card, but they charge you a fee. then you also have venmo, amazon and paypal as well. i bet we could set up a pretty nice venmo, paypal, amazon ring with all the people churning cards here. problem is that people would paypal me money with the understanding that i am supposed to do something with it and then i wouldn't and it be a full year later and i'd still just have that money sitting in some paypal account.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/07/20/40-powerful-ways-to-complete-your-credit-card-minimum-spending-requirements/

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: August 01, 2011, 08:41:09 AM »

yeah, guess I didn't think about that.   I've never used one either, just get them a couple times a year in the mail on my other accounts....

Curses!   This will be tough.    I found out my insurance company nor any of my utilities accept AMEX....

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: August 01, 2011, 08:59:21 AM »
Curses!   This will be tough.   

A $4500 BBBS donation will pretty much wrap up a troph for goEMAW.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: August 01, 2011, 09:00:18 AM »
Curses!   This will be tough.   

A $4500 BBBS donation will pretty much wrap up a troph for goEMAW.

you're generous Trim!

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: August 01, 2011, 10:50:54 AM »

Same here. Had spent around $8500 on it. They'd only give me 1000 points to keep it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: August 01, 2011, 10:53:12 AM »

Same here. Had spent around $8500 on it. They'd only give me 1000 points to keep it.

cancel it.  apply again in a week. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: August 01, 2011, 11:05:03 AM »

I got no offer at all to stay.  :dunno:

I cancelled.  How long will I be ineligible to get another big signup bonus?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: August 01, 2011, 11:11:32 AM »

I got no offer at all to stay.  :dunno:

I cancelled.  How long will I be ineligible to get another big signup bonus?

I don't know.  May just be eligible for the usual 10k on first purchase bonus from here on out.  but, I mean, it's 10k and should have no annual fee for the first year.  beats 0 and an annual fee :dunno:  Unless you want to shift to a different brand.  I wouldn't recomend Hilton unless you are going to have a ton of Hilton stay.  Pretty much everywhere worth staying is 50k a night. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: August 01, 2011, 11:25:27 AM »
I don't know.  May just be eligible for the usual 10k on first purchase bonus from here on out.  but, I mean, it's 10k and should have no annual fee for the first year.  beats 0 and an annual fee :dunno:  Unless you want to shift to a different brand.  I wouldn't recomend Hilton unless you are going to have a ton of Hilton stay.  Pretty much everywhere worth staying is 50k a night. 

Right.  I may not have been clear.  I called and told the guy I either needed my fee waived or my card cancelled.  They chose cancelled, so that was done.  There was no way I was going to pay the fee.

So, are you thinking that if I apply for whatever big bonus deal they have now that I'll get a call saying "we'll only give you 10K, do you still want this?" 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: August 01, 2011, 11:35:07 AM »

Right.  I may not have been clear.  I called and told the guy I either needed my fee waived or my card cancelled.  They chose cancelled, so that was done.  There was no way I was going to pay the fee.

So, are you thinking that if I apply for whatever big bonus deal they have now that I'll get a call saying "we'll only give you 10K, do you still want this?" 

no, you'll just get 10k for the first purchase.  no call or anything.  probably better deals out there.  just didn't know how attached you were to that card/spg points.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: August 01, 2011, 02:45:37 PM »
no, you'll just get 10k for the first purchase.  no call or anything.  probably better deals out there.  just didn't know how attached you were to that card/spg points.

You want to try sending me the referral and I'll give it a shot in a week?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: August 01, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »

You want to try sending me the referral and I'll give it a shot in a week?

it's not longer a referral.  open to all.  just go to the amex site and the header will give the 30k deal.  you'll prolly only get 10k though. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: August 01, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »
I sent you a referal anyway.  See if it offers you the 30k.  maybe that would actually help get the 30k (probably not though) :dunno:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: August 01, 2011, 03:19:21 PM »
The e-mail I got from you via AMEX was for a 10K offer.  :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: August 01, 2011, 03:28:17 PM »
The e-mail I got from you via AMEX was for a 10K offer.  :dunno:

sucks

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: August 01, 2011, 04:18:56 PM »
chicat what exactly should I say to try and get a nicer room? want to be a beentheredonethatcat not a noobiecat
so just flash the pc rewards platinum card around like a cop in a movie?  :comeatme:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: August 02, 2011, 07:11:09 AM »
The MillionMileSecrets guy has an interesting post about getting a shitload of Hilton points.  basically both Hilton Cards give you 40k after some spend.  But, if you sign up for the Hawaiin air card you get 35k HA miles which transfer at 2:1 to HH so you actually end up with 75k HH.  There are two HA visas and I don't think there is a spend to hit.  They do have annual fees of $79 each.  So, basically, for $160 you get 70k HA miles which will transfer to 140k HH.  Not as valuable as 140k Hyatt or SPG but it's something.  Would get you almost 6 nights at the Hampton Manhattan or almost 3 nights at a top tier Hilton.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: August 03, 2011, 09:27:56 AM »

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: August 05, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
Any advice on booking BA miles for an AA flight?  I remember hearing this would be a huge pain. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: August 05, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »
Any advice on booking BA miles for an AA flight?  I remember hearing this would be a huge pain. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

common issue.  find the flight you want on AA.  Pretend you are booking an AA flight with miles.  Any flight that comes up in the lower tier award levels (25k domestic RT or 12.5k each way coach or 50k domestic RT or 25k each way first class).  BA will not let you book on higher tier awards.  Once you find your flight go to BA and try to book those dates.  It will tell you there aren't any BA flights and then you hit the button to check with their partners or whatever.  If the flight you found doesn't come up call BA and tell them the exact flight numbers and dates and they will find it.  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:36:49 PM by steve dave »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: August 05, 2011, 03:25:41 PM »
Pretty good news about Hyatt adding a free night cat. 1-4 award certificate with every 1 year anniversary of having the Hyatt Visa.  Annual fee is $75 but every cat 3 or 4 Hyatt will be more than that so it makes keeping it for the plat status a no brainer.