Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1005041 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1125 on: July 28, 2011, 07:21:08 AM »
so as Ive mentioned going to san diego tues-thurs next week. for 2 nights @ like a holiday inn type of hotel its going to cost 50k for the two nights, seems a bit excessive amirite?

yes.  manhattan holiday inn is 25k a night now too.  sucks. 

there is currently an Omaha crowne plaza points breaker that I might be staying at for one night on a random Thursday in a couple of weeks. pak?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 28, 2011, 07:32:29 AM »
so as Ive mentioned going to san diego tues-thurs next week. for 2 nights @ like a holiday inn type of hotel its going to cost 50k for the two nights, seems a bit excessive amirite?

yes.  manhattan holiday inn is 25k a night now too.  sucks. 

there is currently an Omaha crowne plaza points breaker that I might be staying at for one night on a random Thursday in a couple of weeks. pak?

yes, confirmed

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 28, 2011, 07:33:26 AM »
Just sent chase an SMS.  Will report results.  Not holding my breath but took me 30 seconds.

I don't know if you guys caught this reader comment several days ago but it is worth repeating. I'm really becoming a Sapphire Preferred fan. This is fantastic customer service. Read on:

Rick

I have recently made a few charges on my Sapphire card for travel (purchases made in June and July). After finding out that Chase Sapphire? Preferred Card is now offering 2 points per $1 spend on travel, I emailed Chase through the secure messaging system asking them to consider awarding me the extra points for the purchases that I had made prior to the terms of this changing.

Their response was as follows:

"I would like to inform you that, the 2 points per dollar spent when you purchase flights, hotel accommodations, car rentals, time shares offer is effective for the purchase made after 07/17/2011.

Since, the purchases made are before 07/17/2011, therefore, the the 2 points per dollar spent offer will not be applied on these purchases.

Further, as a gesture of my commitment towards you, I have added 25,000 points on your account. You will see this adjustment on your next billing statement.

SCORE! I asked for approx. 1000 extra points and they said no and instead gave me 25k!

If you made travel expenditures prior to 7/17 I suggest giving this a shot!"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 28, 2011, 10:19:17 AM »
no, denied

I value the opportunity to assist you regarding rewards on
your Chase Sapphire Preferred account.

I regret to inform you that we are unable to provide you
with additional points for purchases made before the
changes made to the rewards structure.

I would like to inform you that from 7/17/11, you have the
new rewards structure on the account, which is as follows.

? 2 points per dollar spent on dining-from quick serve
restaurants to fine dining
? 2 points per dollar spent when you purchase flights,
hotel accommodations, car rentals, time shares and more
? 1 additional point per dollar spent when you book
airfare or hotel accommodations online through Ultimate
Rewards with your Chase Sapphire card
? 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases

I sincerely apologize we are unable to meet your
expectations in this matter. Nothing would have pleased me
more than to provide the resolution you are seeking. If
you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 29, 2011, 05:17:26 PM »
oh man. so i signed up for the continental card 50k deal a couple of months ago thinking, hey continental wont be around much longer. better get their card while they are still there. 50k is 50k. whatever. have done some preliminary looking on their site and wasn't really happy with reward seat availability. whatever. no big deal. today i get a thing in the mail from them outlining benefits and new benefits. i usually don't read this. today i did.

"book any seat, any time using miles-as a cardmember, you can use miles to book any seat, any time, on any flight-no restrictions. if seats are available for sale, they can be redeemed at the easypass (or equivalent) reward level. available on continental flights beginning august 1 and united flights effective march 15 2012."

oh man.  :woot:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 29, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »
"book any seat, any time using miles-as a cardmember, you can use miles to book any seat, any time, on any flight-no restrictions. if seats are available for sale, they can be redeemed at the easypass (or equivalent) reward level. available on continental flights beginning august 1 and united flights effective march 15 2012."

yeah, i got that too.  that just pertains to the recent 50k continental card, right?  'cause i was planning to cancel that and stick w my older, no annual fee united card.  but that card wouldn't share in this bene?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 29, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »

yeah, i got that too.  that just pertains to the recent 50k continental card, right?  'cause i was planning to cancel that and stick w my older, no annual fee united card.  but that card wouldn't share in this bene?

yeah. i mean, if you haven't used the miles yet and haven't cancelled the card...then i'd at least keep it open for a while. the fee is waived for the first year, so there's no real reason to cancel it until you're in the 12th month. this is a really, really nice benefit if you have to get somewhere last second. if you super plan ahead, prob not that great of a bene. also you get the club lounge stuff and waived fee for first bag if you are a cardholder. don't cancel until you've booked and used the rewards would be my opinion.

also, are you in mhk? clams was in town last week and i totally wanted a "tall-off" between you two. most people seemed to think he is taller than you. i'm on the fence fwiw.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 29, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »
yeah, i don't mean right now.  but when decision time comes, i was planning on killing this card, and keeping the other.  which i would still do if this benefit applies to both cards.  but if my continental card gets me booking privileges and my united card doesn't then it seems like i'd be better off calling and asking them to waive the fee and keeping this card (hate calling people/things, so this significant to me).

and so, if i'm going to do that, then it seems i should shift spending to my continental card now, to give them a track record to waive my fee from?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 29, 2011, 05:45:33 PM »
yeah, i don't mean right now.  but when decision time comes, i was planning on killing this card, and keeping the other.  which i would still do if this benefit applies to both cards.  but if my continental card gets me booking privileges and my united card doesn't then it seems like i'd be better off calling and asking them to waive the fee and keeping this card (hate calling people/things, so this significant to me).

and so, if i'm going to do that, then it seems i should shift spending to my continental card now, to give them a track record to waive my fee from?

yeah, that would be your best bet. 

i think you guys are about equal tall.  honestly wouldn't shock me if sys was taller though.  honestly wouldn't. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 29, 2011, 07:03:34 PM »

yeah, that would be your best bet. 

i think you guys are about equal tall.  honestly wouldn't shock me if sys was taller though.  honestly wouldn't. 

see that's what i said and then everybody was all "no. i think clams his taller. i mean, look at him. stand up clams. clams, stand up real quick. see...see."  also, i mean you've gotta factor in like hairstyle and stuff i that. man it's close though.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 30, 2011, 12:42:55 PM »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 30, 2011, 06:47:35 PM »
view from the wing guy has an actual funny/self deprecating post and readers flip out. was hoping for a ravi mention about halfway through.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2011/07/28/im-an-idiot-who-doesnt-know-how-to-find-his-own-blog-url/#comments

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 30, 2011, 07:22:23 PM »
somebody with a little free time please read all 18 pages of this thread and tell all of goEMAW.com whether this is worth doing or not. seems like it might be.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/earn-18-250-points-for-free-each-year.6471/

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 30, 2011, 07:58:58 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 30, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »
What can I do with 30k spg?

:blank:

:ck:  don't be a mile snob.  

:blank: was shorthand for "spend the second-worst week of your life at a Westin in Tampa for free".
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:10:46 PM by Trim »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: July 30, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »

What can I do with 30k spg?

sell them to me for one hundred dollars.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 30, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »
Can you sell them?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: July 30, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »
Can you sell them?

no. but i will pay you 100 american dollars for the right to have them. you will sit on them and them when i want them, i will tell you how to book me the hotel that i want using your points. also, i will only take 28000 of them. thus still leaving you 2000 points. deal?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: July 30, 2011, 10:27:03 PM »
Can you sell them?

no. but i will pay you 100 american dollars for the right to have them. you will sit on them and them when i want them, i will tell you how to book me the hotel that i want using your points. also, i will only take 28000 of them. thus still leaving you 2000 points. deal?

I dunno, seems too easy.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 30, 2011, 10:35:02 PM »
Can you sell them?

I dunno, seems too easy.

yes. I am trying to make this easy for you. I tell you what. open up a paypal account and I will transfer you 100 dollars tomorrow. you will have the cash immediately. when I want to use the points that you sold me, I will ask for your spg number and take it from there. you will still have 2000 spg points and full control of your account immediately after. deal? would be willing to pay $120 although I probably shouldn't be telling you that.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 31, 2011, 12:09:17 AM »
I was joking, we can prob make this happen without paypal.  Also, I think my original post was about a spg offer, not the points I actually possess.  I prob have 20k and will deal with you no sweat since I am a noob.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 31, 2011, 01:36:46 AM »
I was joking, we can prob make this happen without paypal.  Also, I think my original post was about a spg offer, not the points I actually possess.  I prob have 20k and will deal with you no sweat since I am a noob.

yes. you want to deal with me because we are friends. I am just trying to help you unload them. those spg points are trash. lucky if I can make my money back on them. when/if.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: July 31, 2011, 08:50:52 AM »
somebody with a little free time please read all 18 pages of this thread and tell all of goEMAW.com whether this is worth doing or not. seems like it might be.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 31, 2011, 10:11:10 AM »

looks to be dead....ppl saying they aren't getting points after July 12.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 31, 2011, 10:18:43 PM »
hey, for the credit card Ron Princes out there (scary smart about cc!) - I'm assuming a convenience check would count towards the minimum spend for the SPG Amex deal?    I'm thinking about paying off our car and using a convenience check then payng off the card with the cash, meeting my minimum spend.    Possible?