Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1005769 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #975 on: June 22, 2011, 09:27:55 AM »
so yesterday I finally applied for the citibank AAadvantage 75k card. this morning I got a text saying I needed to call them regarding it. wtf is that all about

You're busted.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 22, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »
so yesterday I finally applied for the citibank AAadvantage 75k card. this morning I got a text saying I needed to call them regarding it. wtf is that all about

sounds like a steal an old person's money scheme.  i wouldn't call.  did you sign up for text alerts or agree to get texts for promotions or something? 

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 22, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »
I bet all the guys and gals in the citibank office are rolling and laughing at YLA.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 22, 2011, 10:10:27 AM »
I don't think so, might have though  :dunno: would rather them just accept or reject though, don't feel like calling them  :blank:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 22, 2011, 10:28:22 AM »
I don't think so, might have though  :dunno: would rather them just accept or reject though, don't feel like calling them  :blank:

oh, I thought you got accepted already.  may be wanting to discuss your application or something. 

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 22, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »
Could I solicit some advice on what the best deal would be for earning miles that I can redeem on a flight to Italy this October?

I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff ... is there anything that would possibly be redeemable in that time frame?   

Chase Sapphire Preferred? Citi ThankYou Premier? Citi American AAdvantage?

TIA.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 22, 2011, 12:52:17 PM »
Could I solicit some advice on what the best deal would be for earning miles that I can redeem on a flight to Italy this October?

I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff ... is there anything that would possibly be redeemable in that time frame?   

TIA.

British Airways Chase Visa is what you need IMO.  50k initial for signing up plus 50K for spending 2500 within 6 months of cardholder signup date.  Plus you can fly British metal(wanted to say that for awhile now) or AA metal with the same points.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 22, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »

TIA.

British Airways Chase Visa is what you need IMO.  50k initial for signing up plus 50K for spending 2500 within 6 months of cardholder signup date.  Plus you can fly British metal(wanted to say that for awhile now) or AA metal with the same points.

100k deal expired though

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 22, 2011, 01:14:30 PM »

TIA.

what are your dates and what specific citys are you wanting to fly out of?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 22, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »
moral of the story is that you are probably mumped (just checked some reward availability into Rome out of KC for mid October on AA and United and they have crap left for availability unless you want to pay 60k miles each way) but if you get a real quick 50k-100k sapphire points you could just book through chase and save $600-$1200 :dunno:

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 22, 2011, 01:28:12 PM »
not gonna lie flyertalk intimidates the crap outta me, do you guys just stick to the credit card forum?

the points guy blog seems pretty nice, lists all the best and current deals with links, if I look at that blog and this thread will I be all up to date on the best and most current CC deals?
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 22, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »
not gonna lie flyertalk intimidates the crap outta me, do you guys just stick to the credit card forum?

the points guy blog seems pretty nice, lists all the best and current deals with links, if I look at that blog and this thread will I be all up to date on the best and most current CC deals?

A) flyertalk intimidates the crap out of me too.  I go to the MilesBuzz! forum as it hits the high notes on flyertalk unless I'm looking for a specific brand or very specific piece of info.  I've never posted because I would humiliate myself and then have to sign up again under another name and make fun of my former login to try to look cool in front of the flyertalk'ers.  WHY DIDN'T I READ THE ENTIRE 29 PAGE FAQ BEFORE POSTING!?

B) yeah, if you read a couple blogs (thepointsguy.com and boardingarea.com (which is actually a group of blogs)) and read this thread you will be pretty much set.

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 22, 2011, 01:47:59 PM »
moral of the story is that you are probably mumped (just checked some reward availability into Rome out of KC for mid October on AA and United and they have crap left for availability unless you want to pay 60k miles each way) but if you get a real quick 50k-100k sapphire points you could just book through chase and save $600-$1200 :dunno:

That's kind of what I thought. It looked like I might be able to get at least one way to Rome or Milan knocked out by signing up for the US Airways Master Card ... but maybe the Sapphire is the way to go.

This is for a clusterfuck of a wedding, the details for which at this point are: Italy, October.  :blank:  The groom's sister is a flight attendant and they fly ridiculously cheap all the time, so I am hoping I can take advantage of that and not have to worry about points/miles anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 22, 2011, 01:54:57 PM »
I would really like fats to learn about mileage stuff and flame the crap out of FT like he used to do on anandtech(?).

and seriously guys, grow a pair and show those ft bullies who's boss.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 22, 2011, 04:53:16 PM »
I would really like fats to learn about mileage stuff and flame the crap out of FT like he used to do on anandtech(?).

and seriously guys, grow a pair and show those ft bullies who's boss.

:ohno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: June 23, 2011, 07:28:16 AM »
Several readers are commenting that Chase intends to pull back the points issued to those not targeted. I have no first hand knowledge if that is correct or not. If you have a place to put the points, you may want to consider doing so.

:horrorsurprise:

I don't think this will actually happen because it would piss a ton of people off.  but, if you have gotten the extra 50k you should prolly transfer them to Hyatt asap.  This prolly means mrs. dave is only getting 50k instead of 100k though.  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:31:36 AM by steve dave »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: June 23, 2011, 07:37:06 AM »
Several readers are commenting that Chase intends to pull back the points issued to those not targeted. I have no first hand knowledge if that is correct or not. If you have a place to put the points, you may want to consider doing so.

I don't think this will actually happen because it would piss a ton of people off.  but, if you have gotten the extra 50k you should prolly transfer them to Hyatt asap.  This prolly means mrs. dave is only getting 50k instead of 100k though.  

Yeah. Nobody is getting the extra fifty any more. Oh well.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 23, 2011, 07:40:45 AM »

Yeah. Nobody is getting the extra fifty any more. Oh well.

50k Hyatt is still about the best deal going right now though.  50k Hyatt > 75k AA imo.  But I'm always flush with airline miles and always short on hotel points. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: June 23, 2011, 07:41:51 AM »
 :frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 23, 2011, 07:43:15 AM »

chase has egg on their face.  the whole game is going to change soon as far as targetted offers imo.  they never stay secret and banks aren't going to want to deal with everyone else clammering for them when they get out. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 23, 2011, 07:47:04 AM »

chase has egg on their face.  the whole game is going to change soon as far as targetted offers imo.  they never stay secret and banks aren't going to want to deal with everyone else clammering for them when they get out. 

Better to somehow get rejected for the Sapphire now, so that when they later try to make everything right by putting out a legit 100K offer to everyone, I'll still be a Sapphire virgin?  Decent chance they'll call about shifting limits around to get approval for this one.  Suppose I could say no thanks.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: June 23, 2011, 07:57:49 AM »

Better to somehow get rejected for the Sapphire now, so that when they later try to make everything right by putting out a legit 100K offer to everyone, I'll still be a Sapphire virgin?  Decent chance they'll call about shifting limits around to get approval for this one.  Suppose I could say no thanks.

I would go ahead and turn and burn it.  they've already done the credit check.  the rest is the free stuff :dunno: (unless you don't want to spend $3k on it). 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 23, 2011, 08:00:58 AM »

I would go ahead and turn and burn it.  they've already done the credit check.  the rest is the free stuff :dunno: (unless you don't want to spend $3k on it). 

Yeah, I suppose if they go ahead and do a 100K offer anytime soon as a goodwill thing to cover this debacle, it won't be too difficult to PI them into the extra 50K for the same reason, 3-month limit or not.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 23, 2011, 08:05:49 AM »
Of course, I'm going to SM them on this deal for the extra 50K as soon as I get my card and cite that it's not fair that Emily and steve dave got the extra 50K and I didn't.  Who the eff are Emily and steve dave?  Don't worry about it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 23, 2011, 03:31:28 PM »
Is anyone thinking of getting the SPG Amex yet but hasn't?  If you are you should PM me so I can refer you.  You will still get the 10k SPG for first purchase and then 15k SPG more after you spend so much in the first 6 months like normal.  Difference is that I get 5k SPG for you signing up   :fatty: