Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 983231 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #950 on: June 21, 2011, 09:13:49 AM »
God damnit. Applied for chases yesterday morning. Did not get instantly approved on either. Called the reconsideration line this morning and still did not get approved instantly. Wtf? Going to call again tomorrow. Just got the continental cards a month ago so maybe that is affecting things. So mad. Also, there is a 23500 American airlines checking account out there that I plan on doing along with the 75k American Citi once I get all this Chase bs figured out.

I'm wondering if Chase hasn't put the brakes on the Sapphire while they decide what position to take on the hundreds of millions of miles they are giving away.  I applied for mrs. dave's sapphire card last night and was shocked she didn't get instantly approved as she hasn't applied for anything from chase in about 6 months and only has one chase card.  Even if I can only get her the 50K sapphire I'm pretty happy about having 156k Hyatt points.  Would only need about 18,500 more to get all eight nights in Kauai. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: June 21, 2011, 09:35:02 AM »
God damnit. Applied for chases yesterday morning. Did not get instantly approved on either. Called the reconsideration line this morning and still did not get approved instantly. Wtf? Going to call again tomorrow. Just got the continental cards a month ago so maybe that is affecting things. So mad. Also, there is a 23500 American airlines checking account out there that I plan on doing along with the 75k American Citi once I get all this Chase bs figured out.

I'm wondering if Chase hasn't put the brakes on the Sapphire while they decide what position to take on the hundreds of millions of miles they are giving away.  I applied for mrs. dave's sapphire card last night and was shocked she didn't get instantly approved as she hasn't applied for anything from chase in about 6 months and only has one chase card.  Even if I can only get her the 50K sapphire I'm pretty happy about having 156k Hyatt points.  Would only need about 18,500 more to get all eight nights in Kauai. 

Well I'm wondering if Chase isn't looking for me to punch them in the face, neck and balls the next time i see them, because that's exactly what I'm going to do if they don't quickly approve my crap and give me the 100k.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: June 21, 2011, 09:36:12 AM »
Is it even possible to call the re-consideration line before you get the rejection with the reference number or whatever?  I don't have a lot of experience with this.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: June 21, 2011, 09:39:43 AM »
I'm going to be unreasonably upset at this point if I only get 50K instead of 100K.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: June 21, 2011, 09:42:34 AM »
If I am the only person on this board that got the 100k......  :kstategrad:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: June 21, 2011, 09:50:25 AM »
Is it even possible to call the re-consideration line before you get the rejection with the reference number or whatever?  I don't have a lot of experience with this.

There are tons of reports of people calling in even just ten minutes after they didn't get an instant approval. Have seen reports on both flyertalk and thepointsguy, who BTW is my absolute fav out of all the online points/Blogger guys. Used to like viewfromthewing, but that guy is just so rough ridin' full of himself now that it's not even funny.

Have you read the pointsguy nine different post ba miles breakdown? Just great info. Using your homebase as a stopover on a return flight so that it could save you from having to purchase/use points on an outward flight down the road never, ever occurred to me before reading that stuff and even then I had to read it three times before it made sense. Also, if you really want to go to hawaii again, you should just try to use it as a stopover for an Australia or new Zealand supermega trip.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: June 21, 2011, 10:15:58 AM »

There are tons of reports of people calling in even just ten minutes after they didn't get an instant approval. Have seen reports on both flyertalk and thepointsguy, who BTW is my absolute fav out of all the online points/Blogger guys. Used to like viewfromthewing, but that guy is just so rough ridin' full of himself now that it's not even funny.

Have you read the pointsguy nine different post ba miles breakdown? Just great info. Using your homebase as a stopover on a return flight so that it could save you from having to purchase/use points on an outward flight down the road never, ever occurred to me before reading that stuff and even then I had to read it three times before it made sense. Also, if you really want to go to hawaii again, you should just try to use it as a stopover for an Australia or new Zealand supermega trip.

Already booked the Kauai 2012 flight.  80K UA miles.  Booked a convertible via Enterprise for $450 for 9 days which was pretty ridic.  Now I just need these Hyatt points to have this mofo basically paid for. 

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: June 21, 2011, 10:45:30 AM »

:peek: x 2

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: June 21, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »

welcome to the cool kid club JW  :party:

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: June 21, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »

Thanks.  I'm going to wait until I get my statement confirming before I celebrate. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: June 21, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »

Thanks.  I'm going to wait until I get my statement confirming before I celebrate. 

I have no idea what this even means

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: June 21, 2011, 11:36:12 AM »

There are tons of reports of people calling in even just ten minutes after they didn't get an instant approval. Have seen reports on both flyertalk and thepointsguy, who BTW is my absolute fav out of all the online points/Blogger guys. Used to like viewfromthewing, but that guy is just so effing full of himself now that it's not even funny.

I'm probably going to get PI'd into account deletion for this, but could someone explain the stopover thing to me?  From what I am reading on FT you can somehow use BA points to fly one way routes from partner airlines but "stopover" in these connecting cities presumably multiple days and still not get charged extra miles for the connecting flight.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 21, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »

There are tons of reports of people calling in even just ten minutes after they didn't get an instant approval. Have seen reports on both flyertalk and thepointsguy, who BTW is my absolute fav out of all the online points/Blogger guys. Used to like viewfromthewing, but that guy is just so effing full of himself now that it's not even funny.

I'm probably going to get PI'd into account deletion for this, but could someone explain the stopover thing to me?  From what I am reading on FT you can somehow use BA points to fly one way routes from partner airlines but "stopover" in these connecting cities presumably multiple days and still not get charged extra miles for the connecting flight.

Daris can link the post, but basically you have free reign to make layovers that are absurdly long (days) without using more miles really.  A few caveats such as they have to be in the same general direction and when redeeming BA miles you can't switch airlines.  RD may have to correct me on some of it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 21, 2011, 12:08:58 PM »
I'm probably going to get PI'd into account deletion for this, but

safer here than on FT.  they are brutal. 

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 21, 2011, 12:41:59 PM »
Man, I've missed this board (and this thread in particular) the past several weeks.

I feel like I have way too much catching up to do to figure out what is going on with the Chase Sapphire stuff.

This HHonors AmEx offer any good?
Get 20,000 HHonors Bonus Points after your first purchase with the Card.5
Get 30,000 HHonors Bonus Points when you spend US$500 in your first three months of Cardmembership.6
Get 2,500 HHonors Bonus Points for each of your first four stays at one of ten distinct brands within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio paid for with the Card during the first 18 months of Cardmembership.7
And get 2,500 HHonors Bonus Points when you add an Additional Cardmember.8

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 21, 2011, 12:47:09 PM »
Man, I've missed this board (and this thread in particular) the past several weeks.

I feel like I have way too much catching up to do to figure out what is going on with the Chase Sapphire stuff.

Get 20,000 HHonors Bonus Points after your first purchase with the Card.5
Get 30,000 HHonors Bonus Points when you spend US$500 in your first three months of Cardmembership.6
Get 2,500 HHonors Bonus Points for each of your first four stays at one of ten distinct brands within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio paid for with the Card during the first 18 months of Cardmembership.7
And get 2,500 HHonors Bonus Points when you add an Additional Cardmember.8

Not bad for Hilton but I'm considering abandoning them as hard as that will be.  They are great for business travel because they reward very well based on elite status, but it takes too damn long to get enough miles for free nights.  That 50k you get for the initial spend of $500 is only enough for one night in their top hotels (not even counting Waldorf Astorias which are 60-80k). 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 21, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »

I did that one.  Planning on cancelling and getting a Citi 40K HHonors and then being done with them.  That'll put me at about 120K points, and I almost never find myself staying there.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 21, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/04/how-to-use-british-airways-miles-post-8-the-art-of-the-stopover/

my understanding is this and i'll try to explain it decently. i haven't done it but this is my understanding, british airways is basically the same as american when it comes to booking reward flights because they are both part of oneworld alliance. they are partners so to speak...

let's say for sake of argument that you are wanting to fly out of manhattan on american but wanting to use british airways miles. lets also say that you are wanting to go from manhattan to keywest and then come back to manhattan but maybe also want to go to vegas or san diego or somewhere on the west coast sometime after you get back to manhattan from your key west trip. you could log onto american and check reward flights from manhattan to key west. they allow you to redeem for one way. you find what you want and book. on the trip back you could check from key west to manhattan and find what you want but then also check future flights from manhattan to vegas or san diego and use your flight back to manhattan as a stopover. you could apparently stopover in manhattan for a couple of months and then continue your flight from key west from manhattan to a different location by going to dallas and then to vegas or san diego or wherever and it would be part of the same flight back from key west and not cost any additional miles. you'd in essence be getting a flight back to manhattan and an additional flight to somewhere on the west coast for the cost of a flight back to manhattan. make sense? sorry if no. let me know.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 21, 2011, 06:16:01 PM »
Thanks daris makes perfect sense. Basically you have to get yourself back from wherever your second trip destination is. Would be pretty fantastic for travel across europe on the way back to the U.S if done right.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 21, 2011, 06:50:29 PM »
Thanks daris makes perfect sense. Basically you have to get yourself back from wherever your second trip destination is. Would be pretty fantastic for travel across europe on the way back to the U.S if done right.

Maybe, maybe not. Europe travel using British airway miles gets a little weird I Fbook. As does using multiple carriers using British airway mileage. I would look at all the posts that are in the first paragraph or two that I linked. Can't help more than that cause I only intend to use my British miles on American and American only. Sorry.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 21, 2011, 07:15:02 PM »
As I understood it you would have to have your stopover be somewhere that the flight would actually connect through (ie. either DFW/ORD most likely) that not the case?

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 21, 2011, 08:17:28 PM »

I have no idea what this even means

:pbj: :kstategrad:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 21, 2011, 09:04:34 PM »
As I understood it you would have to have your stopover be somewhere that the flight would actually connect through (ie. either DFW/ORD most likely) that not the case?

Hmm...as I understand it you are a dumbass. Just kidding. You are probably right. Haven't tried it. Hope you are wrong but you probably aren't. I've seen some suggestions that you might be wrong, but it makes more sense that you aren't. How do they decide where a flight would connect through though? I've tried to get aa and hence ba flights that took me through Memphis. Really?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 22, 2011, 07:30:39 AM »

Hmm...as I understand it you are a dumbass. Just kidding. You are probably right. Haven't tried it. Hope you are wrong but you probably aren't. I've seen some suggestions that you might be wrong, but it makes more sense that you aren't. How do they decide where a flight would connect through though? I've tried to get aa and hence ba flights that took me through Memphis. Really?

probably right about the dumbass part.  I honestly haven't looked into it that much. 

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 22, 2011, 09:16:25 AM »
so yesterday I finally applied for the citibank AAadvantage 75k card. this morning I got a text saying I needed to call them regarding it. wtf is that all about