Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 983087 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #875 on: June 17, 2011, 09:07:58 AM »
feel free to PM if needed

no, i'll swallow my pride.

so, like, doesn't all of these new cc's and cancelling cc's hurt your credit score?

:embarrassed:

not really.  

:dubious:

my credit really hasn't changed much.  my fico score has actually gone up since I started.  It's good to have a very high amount of available credit and a low percentage of use of that credit.  I probably have $150k in available credit card credit amongst the various cards and use $0 of it since I pay everything off every month.  They do a hard pull of your credit when you get a new one which is factored into your credit but at a very small amount.  The portion of the credit score that takes into account the hard pulls is only 10% of the score now (used to be higher).  cancelling the cards would have really no effect on credit other than to lower your available credit so if you carry some balance you will then show up as using a higher percentage of available credit but this obv. isn't a concern of mine.

how much money (or % of savings if $ is too personal) have you saved since you started on hotels and airlines?

It's kind of hard to calculate because some of the places we've gone or stayed we wouldn't have gone or stayed at if we didn't have the miles.  But, if you just take the rack rate of the flights and hotels and junk from all of the award stays/flights we've taken it would probably be more than $50k over the last 4 years or so.  We've gone to HI twice, Florida 3 times, San Diego, Napa, NYC twice, flown to Vegas about 5 times, a couple flights to both Denver and Chicago, flights to Cancun, about 10 nights in the Hampton in Manhattan and 10 at the Hilton Garden Inn in Wichita, 8 hotel nights split between 3 rooms at the NCAA in OKC.  Our last trip to HI would have probably been about $10k if we were paying rack rates for the flights and hotels.  Again, we wouldn't be staying at the $450 a night Hyatt if we were paying OOP for it though.  We would prolly stay at the $200 Sheraton just down the road.  

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 17, 2011, 09:10:52 AM »
who the eff cares about a credit score? I mean really.

someone who will be refinancing on his house in the next 6 months and is in an industry where you can change jobs easily.

keep fighting the good fight though, michigancat.

don't buy a house (or refinance) if you are in an industry where you can change jobs easily. I mean sheesh.  :dunno:

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 17, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »

someone who will be refinancing on his house in the next 6 months and is in an industry where you can change jobs easily.

don't buy a house (or refinance) if you are in an industry where you can change jobs easily. I mean sheesh.  :dunno:

what's the correlation you're referring to ?

i mean that if i change jobs, i don't want a credit score ruining potential chance at employment.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 17, 2011, 09:20:15 AM »
wow and I thought I had dumb cc questions. lmao  :lol:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: June 17, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »

i mean that if i change jobs, i don't want a credit score ruining potential chance at employment.

If you have excellent credit it would take applying for about every credit card available every 3 months for a couple years to even push it down to good credit.  That may not even do it.  Some of the old AA churners back when you could re-apply for the same AA cards every 60 days got over a million miles over a couple years and estimated that that level of churning brought their scores down about 35 points.  Not a valid concern.  But, if you are teetering on the edge of good and average credit it may be I guess.   What's your credit score?  If too personal you can PM it to me and I will then post it in this thread for the appropriate level of mocking depending on what it is. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: June 17, 2011, 09:29:14 AM »

don't buy a house (or refinance) if you are in an industry where you can change jobs easily. I mean sheesh.  :dunno:

I was thinking that if you had to change jobs you would have to move often. I would be more worried about that than a credit score ruining a chance of employment. Still, I would guess you would have to have absolutely abysmal credit and be in finance or something for your credit score to ruin a job oppy. Like, your credit is so bad you should not even dream of using credit cards in the foreseeable future.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: June 17, 2011, 09:33:13 AM »

If you have excellent credit it would take applying for about every credit card available every 3 months for a couple years to even push it down to good credit.  That may not even do it.  Some of the old AA churners back when you could re-apply for the same AA cards every 60 days got over a million miles over a couple years and estimated that that level of churning brought their scores down about 35 points.  Not a valid concern.  But, if you are teetering on the edge of good and average credit it may be I guess.   What's your credit score?  If too personal you can PM it to me and I will then post it in this thread for the appropriate level of mocking depending on what it is. 

it's good. i checked it like a month and a half ago and it was 750.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: June 17, 2011, 09:35:12 AM »

it's good. i checked it like a month and a half ago and it was 750.

you should have absolutely nothing to worry about. :thumbs:

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: June 17, 2011, 09:37:02 AM »

don't buy a house (or refinance) if you are in an industry where you can change jobs easily. I mean sheesh.  :dunno:

I was thinking that if you had to change jobs you would have to move often. I would be more worried about that than a credit score ruining a chance of employment. Still, I would guess you would have to have absolutely abysmal credit and be in finance or something for your credit score to ruin a job oppy. Like, your credit is so bad you should not even dream of using credit cards in the foreseeable future.

agreed, i'm not really worried to the point where i'd be screwing myself out of a job or low rate, i'm just uneducated when it comes to number of lines of credit and how it affects your score.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: June 17, 2011, 09:41:20 AM »
I opened 4 credits cards during the past 4 months just for sign up bonuses, then applied for and was happily approved for a $180k mortgage.   

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: June 17, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »
I opened 4 credits cards during the past 4 months just for sign up bonuses, then applied for and was happily approved for a $180k mortgage.   

:kstategrad:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 17, 2011, 09:43:10 AM »
free hotel rooms
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 17, 2011, 09:55:17 AM »
PREPARE YOURSELVES FOR AN EPIC SD CREDIT BRAG:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:25:25 AM by steve dave »

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 17, 2011, 10:01:41 AM »
Don't you have to pay for that?
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: June 17, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »

$7 (7 spg points)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: June 17, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »

$7 (7 spg points)

This thread is both useful and hilarious.  I love how SD pays for everything in Monopoly Money.  I am extremely jealous, but still too lazy to keep track of everything to be able to do it. 

(Typed this while listening to jams with my elite Bose Quiet Comfort headphones I got along with 20k Delta Miles and a companion ticket for signing up for the Delta Amex)   :pbj:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 17, 2011, 02:21:37 PM »
also, rd, where are you staying with the 48k SPG?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 17, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »

www.westinkeywestresort.com

Ive been pretty meh about the trip, but am starting to get more excited the closer it comes. I've been before a few times, but Mrs daris hasn't and we didnt have more than five days or so to spend so that ruled a lot of places out. Should be fun. Still its like... 48k? Good lord. Should've went to Cayman you know? Shouldn't be using all those points just to stay at some place in Florida. Whatever.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 17, 2011, 02:57:46 PM »

Ive been pretty meh about the trip, but am starting to get more excited the closer it comes. I've been before a few times, but Mrs daris hasn't and we didnt have more than five days or so to spend so that ruled a lot of places out. Should be fun. Still its like... 48k? Good lord. Should've went to Cayman you know? Shouldn't be using all those points just to stay at some place in Florida. Whatever.

yeah, we were going to stay there but went to Napa when our flights got jacked up (I think I talked to you about that).  Should be awesome.  I kinda want to go fishing down there (I don't fish or anything but it looks awesome).  Tried (still trying) to talk sdparents into key west instead of san diego for xmas. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 17, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »

yeah, we were going to stay there but went to Napa when our flights got jacked up (I think I talked to you about that).  Should be awesome.  I kinda want to go fishing down there (I don't fish or anything but it looks awesome).  Tried (still trying) to talk sdparents into key west instead of san diego for xmas. 

Oh lord. Not even a debate where you guys would have more fun at. Your parents would love it. Everything is within walking distance. You can also rent a bike or moped if you want but totally don't need to. Regular bus schedule that picks up and drops of everywhere for like two bucks a day if you want too. Great happy hours and fun places to hang out. Westin and hyatt are pricey but there are smaller boutique places that are right in the thick of things too and are good enough for you guys at 1/3 the cost. You guys could absolutely just take a place over.

Historickeywestinns.com

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 17, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
yeah, priced a bunch of 4 and 5 bedroom houses near the action.  Prices of flights are what's keeping them away right now. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 17, 2011, 03:23:19 PM »
yeah, priced a bunch of 4 and 5 bedroom houses near the action.  Prices of flights are what's keeping them away right now. 

Fly into Miami then drive? Fly into ft myers and take the big boat thing? Lots of cheaper ways to get there that don't really take much longer.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 17, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »

Fly into Miami then drive? Fly into ft myers and take the big boat thing? Lots of cheaper ways to get there that don't really take much longer.

yeah, I meant flying into Miami.  about twice the cost as flying into san diego.  none of the other local options were any cheaper (or not much cheaper and further away).

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile