Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 982884 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #850 on: June 15, 2011, 02:00:13 PM »

Great summary of the best cc deals currently out there...
http://Http://thepointsguy.com/top-deals/

Some more info about Citi aa churning here...
http://Http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/06/04/see-how-easily-you-can-earn-150000-free-aadvantage-miles/

A lot more talk about the 75k on flyertalk too.

:love: I take back the jerkwad comment

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: June 15, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »
Ok, looking at signing up for a couple more.  I think Chase is probably out because it was a pain to get my last one thru.  I may cancel one of theirs if a great offer comes up, but haven't really seen anything that blows my hair back.  I was kicking around getting the Citi Hyatt card as well as their 50K thankyou points offer.  I could cash the ThankYou points in for a $500 Hyatt giftcard on top of the two free nights I already get for the Hyatt card.  Only kick in the nuts is the $125 isnt waived first years on the ThankYou.  Experts, thoughts?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: June 15, 2011, 07:00:23 PM »
Ok, looking at signing up for a couple more.  I think Chase is probably out because it was a pain to get my last one thru.  I may cancel one of theirs if a great offer comes up, but haven't really seen anything that blows my hair back.  I was kicking around getting the Citi Hyatt card as well as their 50K thankyou points offer.  I could cash the ThankYou points in for a $500 Hyatt giftcard on top of the two free nights I already get for the Hyatt card.  Only kick in the nuts is the $125 isnt waived first years on the ThankYou.  Experts, thoughts?

I know you said no Chase but the Sapphire card promo they currently have would give you 50k Hyatt points which is even better than the two free Hyatt nights because the highest level hyatt is only 22k.  both are chase though. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: June 15, 2011, 07:07:11 PM »
Damn, I thought Hyatt was Citi, guess I confused it with the Hilton.  Maybe the the Sapphire and the ThankYou.  I feel in fairly good shape with airline miles, but only have PC points.  While PC points are great for staying a night here and there (various KSU games), I would like more big-timey vacation nights.

Maybe I just need to invest in the CC point system for the flexibility :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: June 16, 2011, 05:31:52 PM »
anyone know any backdoors to a bunch of Hyatt points other than the Sapphire card?  I have the Hyatt card but at 1 point a $ it's going to take a shitload of spend to get the length of stay I need.  I think we are going back to kauai again next may and want to stay about 8 nights at the Hyatt.  Will come to 176k Hyatt points.  I'll have about 60k from the Sapphire and those I have left in my Hyatt account.  I also guess I'll have the option of using AA miles for hotel stays but it's going to be north of 45k AA miles per night to stay there.  In briefly researching it there doesn't seem to be many programs that will transfer to Hyatt other than diners club.  Doubt the Hyatt card is churnable as it's not a points bonus but a two night bonus (still plan on exploring this though).  The hotel will go anywhere from $300 to $600 a night so I'm really not interested in paying that for 8 nights.  thoughts/input?  :frown:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: June 16, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »
so, Delta's flight award system sucks major balls.  They are essentially liars when they quote mileage required for award flights.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: June 16, 2011, 06:36:16 PM »
anyone know any backdoors to a bunch of Hyatt points other than the Sapphire card?  I have the Hyatt card but at 1 point a $ it's going to take a crapload of spend to get the length of stay I need.  I think we are going back to kauai again next may and want to stay about 8 nights at the Hyatt.  Will come to 176k Hyatt points.  I'll have about 60k from the Sapphire and those I have left in my Hyatt account.  I also guess I'll have the option of using AA miles for hotel stays but it's going to be north of 45k AA miles per night to stay there.  In briefly researching it there doesn't seem to be many programs that will transfer to Hyatt other than diners club.  Doubt the Hyatt card is churnable as it's not a points bonus but a two night bonus (still plan on exploring this though).  The hotel will go anywhere from $300 to $600 a night so I'm really not interested in paying that for 8 nights.  thoughts/input?  :frown:

i'll provide thoughts and/or input once i can actually wrap my brain around the possibility of having and using 176k hyatt points. i mean, wow. meanwhile i'm kind of still pissed at the 48k starwood that i'll be using next month.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 16, 2011, 06:39:47 PM »
anyone know any backdoors to a bunch of Hyatt points other than the Sapphire card?  I have the Hyatt card but at 1 point a $ it's going to take a crapload of spend to get the length of stay I need.  I think we are going back to kauai again next may and want to stay about 8 nights at the Hyatt.  Will come to 176k Hyatt points.  I'll have about 60k from the Sapphire and those I have left in my Hyatt account.  I also guess I'll have the option of using AA miles for hotel stays but it's going to be north of 45k AA miles per night to stay there.  In briefly researching it there doesn't seem to be many programs that will transfer to Hyatt other than diners club.  Doubt the Hyatt card is churnable as it's not a points bonus but a two night bonus (still plan on exploring this though).  The hotel will go anywhere from $300 to $600 a night so I'm really not interested in paying that for 8 nights.  thoughts/input?  :frown:

i'll provide thoughts and/or input once i can actually wrap my brain around the possibility of having and using 176k hyatt points. i mean, wow. meanwhile i'm kind of still pissed at the 48k starwood that i'll be using next month.

:eek:  is that a full week worth?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 16, 2011, 06:46:36 PM »

five nights at a cat5. you get the fifth night free. 12k/night. kinda mad that i'm doing it though. should really just quit the whole points/miles game because of how distraught i get when i actually use them.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 16, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »

five nights at a cat5. you get the fifth night free. 12k/night. kinda mad that i'm doing it though. should really just quit the whole points/miles game because of how distraught i get when i actually use them.

depends what I'm doing.  I love using miles in large chunks for fabulous vacations.  that's what it's all about for me. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 17, 2011, 07:49:20 AM »
anyone know any backdoors to a bunch of Hyatt points other than the Sapphire card?  I have the Hyatt card but at 1 point a $ it's going to take a crapload of spend to get the length of stay I need.  I think we are going back to kauai again next may and want to stay about 8 nights at the Hyatt.  Will come to 176k Hyatt points.  I'll have about 60k from the Sapphire and those I have left in my Hyatt account.  I also guess I'll have the option of using AA miles for hotel stays but it's going to be north of 45k AA miles per night to stay there.  In briefly researching it there doesn't seem to be many programs that will transfer to Hyatt other than diners club.  Doubt the Hyatt card is churnable as it's not a points bonus but a two night bonus (still plan on exploring this though).  The hotel will go anywhere from $300 to $600 a night so I'm really not interested in paying that for 8 nights.  thoughts/input?  :frown:

I have 110k UA miles and I can get us both there and back in coach for 80k.  currently looking at $4,065 for the eight nights at the Hyatt if we paid for it.  Really not wanting to do that.  Current plan:

I have the Chase Sapphire coming:  53k Hyatt (after the $3k required spend)
Talk Mrs. Dave into the Chase Sapphire:  53k Hyatt (great benefit imo of this card is that you can transfer the miles to anyone elses Hyatt account so all of these would be in one account)
I currently have only 2k Hyatt

So, I'd end up with 108k Hyatt which is 2k short of 5 nights.  I'll spend $2k on either the Hyatt or the Sapphire card to get to five nights.  Then, (this will hurt me a lot) I can spend 47k AA miles for a night at the Hyatt.  141k AA miles on the last three nights?  Almost certainly better off just paying the $1,500 for the last three nights.  That is a lot of miles to burn through.  The booking of hotels with UA/AA miles is an awful redemption rate.  

I'll still be a Hyatt diamond come trip time so we will almost certainly get bumped to an ocean view again.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 07:56:50 AM by steve dave »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 17, 2011, 07:58:40 AM »
also, rd, where are you staying with the 48k SPG?

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: June 17, 2011, 08:17:31 AM »
where can i post a dumb/embarrassing cc question? is there a thread for that?  :embarrassed:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 17, 2011, 08:19:33 AM »
where can i post a dumb/embarrassing cc question? is there a thread for that?  :embarrassed:

yes, confirmed

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 17, 2011, 08:22:07 AM »

yes, confirmed

link, plz. and hurry.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 17, 2011, 08:22:53 AM »

yes, confirmed

link, plz. and hurry.

it's this one

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 17, 2011, 08:25:26 AM »

yes, confirmed

link, plz. and hurry.

it's this one

oh.

nevermind, then.

:frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 17, 2011, 08:27:56 AM »

yes, confirmed

link, plz. and hurry.

it's this one

oh.

nevermind, then.

:frown:

feel free to PM if needed

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 17, 2011, 08:29:56 AM »

no, i'll swallow my pride.

so, like, doesn't all of these new cc's and cancelling cc's hurt your credit score?

:embarrassed:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 17, 2011, 08:35:13 AM »

so, like, doesn't all of these new cc's and cancelling cc's hurt your credit score?

not really. 

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: June 17, 2011, 08:37:13 AM »

not really. 

:dubious:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 17, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »

not really.  

my credit really hasn't changed much.  my fico score has actually gone up since I started.  It's good to have a very high amount of available credit and a low percentage of use of that credit.  I probably have $150k in available credit card credit amongst the various cards and use $0 of it since I pay everything off every month.  They do a hard pull of your credit when you get a new one which is factored into your credit but at a very small amount.  The portion of the credit score that takes into account the hard pulls is only 10% of the score now (used to be higher).  cancelling the cards would have really no effect on credit other than to lower your available credit so if you carry some balance you will then show up as using a higher percentage of available credit but this obv. isn't a concern of mine.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:46:58 AM by steve dave »

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 17, 2011, 08:50:59 AM »

not really.  

my credit really hasn't changed much.  my fico score has actually gone up since I started.  It's good to have a very high amount of available credit and a low percentage of use of that credit.  I probably have $150k in available credit card credit amongst the various cards and use $0 of it since I pay everything off every month.  They do a hard pull of your credit when you get a new one which is factored into your credit but at a very small amount.  The portion of the credit score that takes into account the hard pulls is only 10% of the score now (used to be higher).  cancelling the cards would have really no effect on credit other than to lower your available credit so if you carry some balance you will then show up as using a higher percentage of available credit but this obv. isn't a concern of mine.

how much money (or % of savings if $ is too personal) have you saved since you started on hotels and airlines?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 17, 2011, 08:54:36 AM »
who the eff cares about a credit score? I mean really.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 17, 2011, 09:05:36 AM »
who the eff cares about a credit score? I mean really.

someone who will be refinancing on his house in the next 6 months and is in an industry where you can change jobs easily.

keep fighting the good fight though, michigancat.