Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 997613 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #800 on: May 02, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »
What's the best hotel related credit card deal out there right now.  I just got a thing from Marriot, sign up for 5 free nights.  I like marriot.

that sounds good. what are the rest of the details. how many total points? yearly fees? do you have a spend that you have to meet?
22.5k points after first purchase + 2 free nights at any category 1-4 hotel, for a total of 5 free nights.

$30 annual fee

i like it. it's probably going to be more like three free nights for you though. the five nights assumes that you are getting three nights at a cat1 for 7,500 each and the cat1's are all located in places like emporia and joplin. so three nights at a cat4 for thirty dollars. seems decent.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 02, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »
What's the best hotel related credit card deal out there right now.  I just got a thing from Marriot, sign up for 5 free nights.  I like marriot.

that sounds good. what are the rest of the details. how many total points? yearly fees? do you have a spend that you have to meet?
22.5k points after first purchase + 2 free nights at any category 1-4 hotel, for a total of 5 free nights.

$30 annual fee

i like it. it's probably going to be more like three free nights for you though. the five nights assumes that you are getting three nights at a cat1 for 7,500 each and the cat1's are all located in places like emporia and joplin. so three nights at a cat4 for thirty dollars. seems decent.

better deal imo:

https://applynowdc1.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=CQJC

50k plus one free night.  annual fee may be waived for the first year but i'm not sure.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:53:07 PM by steve dave »

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 02, 2011, 07:36:58 PM »
$30 for the other one (annual fee waived 1st year for sure) = 22500 points + 2 free nights at a cat 1 -4
$65 per year (maybe waived) = 50k points + 1 free night stay
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:57:43 PM by Saulbadguy »
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 02, 2011, 07:59:27 PM »
$30 for the other one (annual fee waived 1st year for sure) = 22500 points + 2 free nights at a cat 1 -4
$65 per year (maybe waived) = 50k points + 1 free night stay

If you plan on going to a badass hotel in the next year, I would do the $65

The PC deal is 60K, which would be enough for 4 free nights.  Also makes you platinum (free upgrades if available).

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 02, 2011, 09:19:51 PM »
:( had too many chase cards. Turned down for the BA offer  :(

call them and tell them you will dump another chase card if they will approve you. 

Just made the call. 

Lady was like  :nono: you've opened a new account last 30 days and another in last 6 months.  I'm like "oh yeah, well I actually called to cancel your shitty Freedom card I've had sitting there for no reason since college" and she's like "boom, you'll be approved for BA 100k in no time.  Have fun on those white sandy beaches."

:driving:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 03, 2011, 01:11:54 PM »
leaving saturday for 11 nights in hawaii.  number of pairs of socks packed:  0 (not counting the pair I wear on the flight)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 03, 2011, 01:14:34 PM »
leaving saturday for 11 nights in hawaii.  number of pairs of socks packed:  0 (not counting the pair I wear on the flight)

My feet are white from the winter with pretty bad ankle tan lines, how did you solve this prior to your trip?  I've never been in a tanning bed  :ohno:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 03, 2011, 01:15:36 PM »
leaving saturday for 11 nights in hawaii.  number of pairs of socks packed:  0 (not counting the pair I wear on the flight)

My feet are white from the winter with pretty bad ankle tan lines, how did you solve this prior to your trip?  I've never been in a tanning bed  :ohno:

a week in mexico a few months back has me still looking pretty great

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 16, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »
Got my Marriott card yesterday. First purchase? 5 nights at the Marriott on the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. :cool:
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 16, 2011, 01:52:22 PM »
Has anyone used the bump strategy to raise credit scores after a sign up spreee for new cards?

I have run across credit karma and quizzle as sites that will allow one free daily pull of your transunion and equifax scores.

Basically the theory if you don't already know is to use enough soft credit pulls to bump the hard credit pulls off of the report.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: May 16, 2011, 02:23:43 PM »
Has anyone used the bump strategy to raise credit scores after a sign up spreee for new cards?

I have run across credit karma and quizzle as sites that will allow one free daily pull of your transunion and equifax scores.

Basically the theory if you don't already know is to use enough soft credit pulls to bump the hard credit pulls off of the report.

ASFAIK  Transunion and Equifax no longer work doing this....they ignore the extra soft pulls.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 16, 2011, 08:42:17 PM »
Got my Bose Quiet Comfort headphones the other day. Thanks Delta.  :driving:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 21, 2011, 05:18:46 PM »
Chase Sapphire card now has a 50k sign up bonus.  It's good for booking through there service which is supposed to be pretty user friendly.  But, your most value will be exchanging the points for hotel or airline miles.  1:1 exchange ratio for participating programs.  SPG and Hilton (would be awful to exchange for Hilton anyway) don't participate but Hyatt and Marriott do.  I think the highest level properties of Hyatt are only 22k points a night (Grand Hyatt Kauai we just stayed at had a roughly $700 rack rate for our ocean view room) so that may be the best bang for the buck if you want hotel instead of airline miles.

https://applynowdc1.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=DFL2&CELL=6H8X&AFFID=&CLICK=&CID=&PROMO=DF01&AFFID=PPkX79_c.b0-Dmyat2q3Eda.X64pNbob4w&pvid=161213FOF495229294

Also, used the Cap One points from the 100k match your miles promo to pay for $1200 worth of room charges and rental cars on the islands in Hawaii.  They credited the account the day after I requested it.  Worked very well.  Cap One gets a bad rap but I had very good luck with that card.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 21, 2011, 05:39:46 PM »
another thing I got from flyertalk about the sapphire card is that you can transfer the points to someone elses airline/hotel account.  so if you and the wife want to each get one you can get 100k in one account at the 1:1.  So, basically you could get 4 nights at the highest level Park Hyatt and have 12k hyatt points left over if you both get it.  better than the Hyatt card which gives two nights at any property because you could use them at lower level properties for fewer points and have some leftover even if you did use them at the top level properties.  but, you wouldn't get platinum hyatt status with this one like you do the hyatt card.  A good idea for someone who wants to honeymoon/take a long trip somewhere with a top level Hyatt (maui, kauai, paris, DC, NYC, a few in CA) would be to have the wife and yourself sign up for both the Hyatt cards and the Sapphire Cards and you are looking at 8 nights at a hotel that runs at least $500 a night with platinum status which should probably get you a room upgrade.  

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 21, 2011, 09:12:54 PM »
steve dave you are just the absolute tits.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 21, 2011, 09:54:15 PM »
steve dave you are just the absolute tits.

iknowrite

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: May 22, 2011, 08:30:22 AM »
Basic question.  I had to fly United for work (rare occurrence) and don't want to lose the miles.  What is best way to exchange them?  I usually fly Delta.  I have looked at points.com but never used it. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: May 22, 2011, 08:44:29 AM »
sd, figure out a way for us to have our own points/miles-exchanging process within goEMAW.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: May 22, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »
Basic question.  I had to fly United for work (rare occurrence) and don't want to lose the miles.  What is best way to exchange them?  I usually fly Delta.  I have looked at points.com but never used it. 

really no option.  you can set up a continental account if you don't have one and send them there for free if you are coming up on the miles expiration date or something.  they'll eventually come back to united anyway when the merger is complete.  exchanging miles between programs is pretty difficult except with SPG to airline or AA to Hotel.  Those two aren't bad. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 22, 2011, 10:07:27 AM »
pathetic

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 04, 2011, 09:46:11 AM »
kind of a pain in the ass.  just screen shotted my hyatt/spg/hilton activity and sent to them.  I guess I now book a room with them, send them the coupon code they emailed me, and I should get a free night.  we'll see how it goes.

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/06/hotels-com-free-night-and-elite-status/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 11, 2011, 09:44:37 AM »
If you don't have a Frontier mileage account you can now sign up for one and get 1k free miles just for doing so.  as noted in this blog entry you could then convert them to your favorite airline at a steep discount if you will never fly frontier. 

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2011/06/11/free-miles-on-your-choice-of-airlines/

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: June 11, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »
you can friend expedia on facebook and then click on a link and get $150 for a four night stay. some people are booking four nights at a cheap vegas hotel and pocketing the money. have to used mastercard or something though.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 11, 2011, 09:55:51 AM »
you can friend expedia on facebook and then click on a link and get $150 for a four night stay. some people are booking four nights at a cheap vegas hotel and pocketing the money. have to used mastercard or something though.

that's a pretty great deal.  I use expedia for booking package deals but never for nights alone. 

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 11, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »

I must be Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) because I can only seem to like them on facebook but can't figure out how to add as a friend.