Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 997270 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #525 on: February 11, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »
do you fly delta and like to drink? well here you go, 80 free ones. supposedly can sign up under the new york/nj/etc link with a fake address and then just change the address to your current one when you decide to redeem...also would be enough for a free roundtrip domestic if you don't like to drink or whatever. sign up is fairly complicated. not entirely sure if you really need a fed tax id or can make one up.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2011/01/17/20-free-drink-coupons-and-more-from-deltas-small-business-rewards-program/

also thinking about asking a mod to rename this thread "daris and sd discuss things that are posted on viewfromthewing and flyertalk"

How long did it take to get the drink coupons?  Just found out that I have to fly Delta tomorrow for work.  Are they something that can be printed, or do they mail them to you?

Filed under: Things The Whale should have done immediately after reading it on goEMAW

never actually did it. i live in mhk and won't fly delta for a long, long time.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 11, 2011, 11:19:04 AM »
Anyone have this one?

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/first-premier-79-rate-fees-credit-card-1265.php

If you have bad credit in the new era of credit card regulation, be prepared to pay -- dearly -- for the privilege of using credit. That's the message underlying recent credit card offers that feature jaw-dropping interest rates of up to 79.9 percent. 79.9 percent credit card interest rate may be sign of things to come

The sky-high rates may be a sign of things to come in the market for so-called subprime credit cards as issuers who lend to the riskiest of borrowers try to figure out how to stay in business and comply with the new credit card reform law.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 11, 2011, 11:26:43 AM »
Anyone have this one?

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/first-premier-79-rate-fees-credit-card-1265.php

If you have bad credit in the new era of credit card regulation, be prepared to pay -- dearly -- for the privilege of using credit. That's the message underlying recent credit card offers that feature jaw-dropping interest rates of up to 79.9 percent. 79.9 percent credit card interest rate may be sign of things to come

The sky-high rates may be a sign of things to come in the market for so-called subprime credit cards as issuers who lend to the riskiest of borrowers try to figure out how to stay in business and comply with the new credit card reform law.

nobody posting in this thread does. that's because we aren't clueless morons with bad credit that don't understand how these things work. try to keep up. i mean, we're on something like page twenty of a glorious thread about credit cards and all the free crap that you can get from them and you think one of us is going to have a bad credit and a card w/ an interest rate of 80%. unfreakingbelievable. it's like i'm posting on a message board with my sisters kids sometimes around here.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 11, 2011, 11:43:15 AM »
They could change the interest rate on every one of my cards to eleventy billion percent and I wouldn't care in the least

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 11, 2011, 11:45:02 AM »
I love when I call to cancel one and they are all, "How about we lower the interest rate to 8% or something? Would you keep it then?" and I'm all, "Pffftttt, does it look like I've ever paid interest on a credit card in my life?  How about more airline miles credit card telephone n00b guy!"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 12, 2011, 08:11:51 AM »
Whoever was looking for that Delta promotion here is the link:

https://www.deltaamexcard.com/default.aspx?et=dbu

It is targeted so you have to put your info in and hit the button to see if you are offered the 50k or something crappier. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 12, 2011, 10:10:59 AM »
Whoever was looking for that Delta promotion here is the link:

https://www.deltaamexcard.com/default.aspx?et=dbu

It is targeted so you have to put your info in and hit the button to see if you are offered the 50k or something crappier. 

30K.  :frown:

Need 50K+ Delta and United.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 13, 2011, 10:10:08 AM »
What is the best way to get a CC for someone who has never had one, never had any loans/debt/anything.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 13, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »
I signed up too soon :angry:

60k pc offer http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-priority-club-inter-continental-ambassador/1182378-pc-select-visa-now-60k-point-bonus-non-targeted.html

You gonna try doing the continental chase thing where you message them and as for the extra points you'd have gotten had you waited?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 13, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
What is the best way to get a CC for someone who has never had one, never had any loans/debt/anything.

May have to try to get some crappy capital one card and build credit. 

60k pc offer http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-priority-club-inter-continental-ambassador/1182378-pc-select-visa-now-60k-point-bonus-non-targeted.html

You gonna try doing the continental chase thing where you message them and as for the extra points you'd have gotten had you waited?

I'm gonna keep an eye on flyertalk for a couple days.  I assume someone else will try it and report back :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 13, 2011, 10:20:50 AM »

Yeah, you are going to have to either get a home loan or a crappy credit card like chicat says and build some credit.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 13, 2011, 10:34:41 AM »

I'm gonna keep an eye on flyertalk for a couple days.  I assume someone else will try it and report back :dunno:

I'm not sure if it'll work for me, as there was a much bigger time gap between my PC visa and this offer than in the continental example, plus getting the card was one of my qualifications for the 126K CTC deal.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:06:38 AM by Trim »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 13, 2011, 11:04:22 AM »
with the Continental deal people were saying 90 days seemed to be the cutoff

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 13, 2011, 11:25:50 AM »
I went ahead and messaged them a request for 30K.  We'll see.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: February 13, 2011, 12:06:09 PM »
I guess crappy credit cards are ok, I never plan on keeping a balance on a card anyway.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 13, 2011, 12:10:17 PM »
I guess crappy credit cards are ok, I never plan on keeping a balance on a card anyway.

Yea, theyre fine.  They just usually have crappy perks. 

If I were you without much of a history, I would sign up for a free trial of something that will tell me my score.  Cancel that trial, and then there are websites thatll give you a good idea of the cards you'll qualify for.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 13, 2011, 12:13:58 PM »

Get a discover card.  Use that for a little bit.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 13, 2011, 02:18:24 PM »

Yea, theyre fine.  They just usually have crappy perks. 

If I were you without much of a history, I would sign up for a free trial of something that will tell me my score.  Cancel that trial, and then there are websites thatll give you a good idea of the cards you'll qualify for.

This was posted the other day on FTG:

Each of us have different travel goals, different airports of interest, and different lives entirely, but we can all make the deal work for us. The blog is so important because it brings together a community of people who are making this work in a thousand different ways. It is important to share and learn from each other, remember, there are always enough points to go around.

For me the best way to rack up the points has been through credit card deals. My experience has been one I think common to young students with no credit. I made it a goal of mine to live debt free. I said " if I cant pay cash for it I cannot afford it". I graduated college with no credit cards, no student loans and no debt. Well, that's all good until you get out into the real world and have No Credit!

When I approached Rick about how I could get some free flights he suggested I sign up for a credit card with a big bonus. So that's what I did. Denied, Denied and Denied again! What was happening? I pay all of my bills, I don't have any loans, I have no credit card debt, and yet they are telling me no? I basically didn't exist to them, I had no credit history. I thought, " how am I going to build a credit history if you won't give me a credit card?", it didn't make sense, but apparently that's the way the game is played. I got a free credit report and learned my score was in the 650 range. Rick helped me write an appeal letter to the credit card company and finally one approved me. I ended up getting 2 okay cards and a few free flights.

I went on these last 2 years paying off my balance in full every month like any frugal gal would, I thought that would look very responsible. My mother was gracious enough to give me a 1998 Saturn sedan when I chose to move 1000 miles away for college, so I didn't have a car payment. Along the way I watched Rick do these great card deals like the BA 100,000 miler and numerous others, but I couldn't qualify.

Meanwhile, it was time to start thinking about another car, and a great way to earn credit, a car loan. I went to the bank and applied. I have a full time job which pays decent money, no debt, I've had 2 credit cards for 2 years and never carried a balance, this seemed all good to me. Not good enough apparently,  I was denied a car loan. What the heck is this! The staff at Suntrust Bank(not the bank I initially tried to get a loan from) told me that if I actually carried a balance on my credit cards for a few months this would improve my credit score. I only did that for about 2 months before the Saturn started overheating every time I drove it. She needed to be retired, or I was going to be stuck on the side of the road with no car and no credit (what a sad fate).

I went and joined the credit union at my place of work and applied with them for a car loan. As the lender was running my credit report I was saying to her " now I know its not going to be very good, I have no history , I have no loans blah blah blah". To my surprise it was 730!!!!!!  WAHOO!!!! Hallelujah, it worked, somehow it worked!  I drove my car literally overheating into the dealership they gave me a whole $300 dollars for it and I left with a much more reliable vehicle and a credit score of 730. I was so proud, I knew Rick would be too.

Point of the story....It can be done. Now on to some card churning for some real points! Question of the week: I want to churn a card, which one do I apply for now and why?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 13, 2011, 02:26:12 PM »
Yea, its really not a bad idea to carry a balance when you are first starting out.  Just not a big one and not for too long.  A $5 interest payment here and there goes a long way to improving your score.  By not carrying a balance, I assume it doesnt help because A)they arent actually really extending any credit then and b)they dont think they can make money off of you.

Another thing is not to use a majority of the credit offered to you.  I never went/go above 50% of my limit.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 13, 2011, 02:31:45 PM »
Student loan debt is pretty much the greatest thing that ever happened to my credit

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 13, 2011, 02:32:44 PM »
Getting a car loan through a small town bank because i knew the owner seems to be a good move for me :dunno:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 13, 2011, 02:36:40 PM »
I did too much on the Jeffy/Cash plan in college because I was scared I would forget to pay them off on time.  Now I just have most of them set to automatically pay off at the end of the month.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 14, 2011, 10:51:11 AM »
I went ahead and messaged them a request for 30K.  We'll see.

Enrollment incentives offered to new cardmembers are
always changing. Chase is aware that upon opening a new
credit card account, you may see an enrollment incentive
that you find more appealing. Based on this, enrollment
incentives are honored as a courtesy as long as the
request comes within 90 days of opening. This account was
opened in August 2010, which unfortunately is well past
this 90 day timeframe. For this reason, I regret to
inform you that I am unable to honor your request for
additional bonus points.

:frown:

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 15, 2011, 03:47:58 PM »
AMEX iTunes deal, https://enroll.amexnetwork.com/US/iTunes2011/. Enroll a card, buy 5 songs on iTunes (making sure that card is set in your iTunes account), and they refund your account for the songs.

I bought 5 songs on iTunes last night for $6.15. Got an e-mail saying I'd get a $7.05 credit. So you can get free songs and make a little money. Off to do my other two cards. :driving: