Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002759 times)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #9900 on: April 11, 2017, 02:32:31 PM »
I'd really love to try to book this thing: https://thepointsguy.com/2015/07/etihad-a380-the-apartment-review/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #9901 on: April 20, 2017, 10:11:59 AM »
FYI later this year credit scores will be calculated differently.  A major impact for most of us gamers will be a large available credit line will go from an asset to a liability.
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/04/19/credit-score-changes-2017/
https://www.fool.com/credit-cards/2017/04/15/heads-up-3-major-changes-are-being-made-to-your-cr.aspx

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9902 on: April 20, 2017, 11:05:36 AM »
Well if that's true I'm going to have to lower my credit limits. The comments indicate that banks use FICO, not the VantageScore which is changing. But Credit Karma uses VantageScore, which I use to keep an eye on my score. This means that Credit Karma score isn't going to really reflect the real FICO score that banks would get; which makes Credit Karma worthless.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #9903 on: April 20, 2017, 11:10:31 AM »
Well if that's true I'm going to have to lower my credit limits. The comments indicate that banks use FICO, not the VantageScore which is changing. But Credit Karma uses VantageScore, which I use to keep an eye on my score. This means that Credit Karma score isn't going to really reflect the real FICO score that banks would get; which makes Credit Karma worthless.

the VS will be what the credit bureaus report to most credit cards.   

VantageScore vs. FICO

While Davies didn’t have numbers on how often VantageScore is used compared to FICO, she said VantageScore is increasingly popular. Version 3.0 was used 8 billion times in 2016, she said, up from 6 billion the prior year. (You can see your VantageScore 3.0 for free on Credit.com.)

More than 2,000 financial institutions use VantageScore and most credit issuers, she said. The fourth version of VantageScore has shown improvements in predicting mortgage risk, and Davies said the company hopes the new score will help them break into the mortgage market.

Davies said it would be naive to think that VantageScore could end the dominance of FICO, but the goal is to improve the scoring marketplace overall.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: April 20, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »
which makes Credit Karma worthless.

Lol at present/future tense here.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9905 on: April 20, 2017, 12:28:58 PM »
you are probably going to have to have pretty mediocre credit already for the changes to really impact you. if you're 850 now you're probably going to still have amaze credit.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9906 on: April 20, 2017, 01:02:22 PM »
you are probably going to have to have pretty mediocre credit already for the changes to really impact you. if you're 850 now you're probably going to still have amaze credit.

What if I'm only at 828 right now?  :ohno:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: April 20, 2017, 07:47:32 PM »
gE may have the highest average credit score of any non-pts centric bbs in the world.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #9908 on: April 24, 2017, 07:25:40 AM »
Message this morning on my Chase biz card that it's not for personal use. Are they clamping down further? Can they cancel the card if it appears to be personal use rather than business?

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9909 on: April 24, 2017, 08:02:44 AM »
Message this morning on my Chase biz card that it's not for personal use. Are they clamping down further? Can they cancel the card if it appears to be personal use rather than business?

I don't know how they would know the difference between business and "business" charges.
@mikec2w

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #9910 on: April 24, 2017, 08:03:34 AM »

I don't know how they would know the difference between business and "business" charges.
Ya. I don't know either. Thought it was a weird message.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9911 on: April 27, 2017, 04:17:41 PM »
got my 100k reward for CSR.  what's my next step?  annual fee shouldn't hit until mid January next year.  I assume the savvy move is to hold onto the card until then, keep earning the 3x value and use the 2018 travel bonus before cancelling prior to annual fee?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9912 on: April 27, 2017, 05:24:05 PM »
gE may have the highest average credit score of any non-pts centric bbs in the world.

I can drag down like 3 elites just myself
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: April 28, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »
What's the latest on when marriott & spg points will be smushed together, and whether it's best to find some way to use remaining SPG's before then, or let them combine, or transfer to airline miles or something?  I'm again considering turning 20K SPG's into 30K AA miles, if the SPG's soon won't be as good to use at SPG hotels.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9914 on: April 28, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »
What's the latest on when marriott & spg points will be smushed together, and whether it's best to find some way to use remaining SPG's before then, or let them combine, or transfer to airline miles or something?  I'm again considering turning 20K SPG's into 30K AA miles, if the SPG's soon won't be as good to use at SPG hotels.

they will transfer at the current ratio of 3-1 probably (but not officially anounced). so whatever 60k marriott points are worth to you.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9915 on: April 28, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »

they will transfer at the current ratio of 3-1 probably (but not officially anounced). so whatever 60k marriott points are worth to you.

When that's forced to happen, will it take a proportionally shitty amount of marriott points to get at ex-SPG hotels what we used to get for relatively little SPG points?  Like, if KStateMBB was good one day, we wouldn't be staying at a nice SPG blocks from whatever OKC's calling their downtown arena then during the NCAA tournament for 9K-15K marriott points/night, right?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: April 28, 2017, 01:42:33 PM »
got my 100k reward for CSR.  what's my next step?  annual fee shouldn't hit until mid January next year.  I assume the savvy move is to hold onto the card until then, keep earning the 3x value and use the 2018 travel bonus before cancelling prior to annual fee?

keep the csr and 3x it, i said earlier that the math works with the +1 points and the delta in cost of keeping the card if you spend > $3k a year in dining and travel

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: April 28, 2017, 02:09:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm guessing the SPG properties will move into roughly 3x more point requirements. You can compare similar hotels across brands and kind of figure out where they'll land.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: April 28, 2017, 02:34:25 PM »
I understand it's worth it, all else being equal.  But I assume there are other cards out there with spending bonuses I could be hitting in lieu of garnering 3x for a $150 fee.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: April 28, 2017, 02:59:19 PM »
you're net positive tho is what i'm saying

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: April 29, 2017, 02:48:54 AM »
The CSP was one of the best, if not the best, cards to use as a daily spend.  Once the CSR came out, it became better than the CSP if you utilize the $300 travel credit (which would be hard not to do) and spend >3k on travel/dining per year (as Clams said). So if your everyday purchases meet those requirements, then the CSR is probably the best card for you to keep as an everyday spend card.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: April 29, 2017, 04:34:29 AM »
Yeah, unless you are good/not scared at churning the CSR is probably the beast daily driver. Maybe Amex plat. Both scare people though.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: April 29, 2017, 08:12:51 AM »
scare?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: April 29, 2017, 03:02:35 PM »
I understand it's worth it, all else being equal.  But I assume there are other cards out there with spending bonuses I could be hitting in lieu of garnering 3x for a $150 fee.

don't keep it, add it into your churn.  you'll have it 50% of the time anyways, assuming you stay on top of your 5/24 and 2 year cycles.  try and get married and alternate with your wife on who has one at any given time.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: May 01, 2017, 09:07:55 AM »
I received an offer for an United Airlines card from Chase with a 70K bonus. I don't fly United very often, but would consider if this is a better than usual offer. It has a $95 annual fee and the offer expires on June 25.

Is this worth one of my 5/24 from Chase? It would be my third.