Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 983914 times)

bigdavefreemaw, yoga-like_abana and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #350 on: October 26, 2010, 09:03:47 PM »

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 27, 2010, 07:36:46 AM »
Last one  :cry:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2010/10/26/answer-the-priority-club-challenge-for-2000-points-and-i-give-you-the-answer/

going to dallas for a wedding in december and this game got me a couple of free nights at a more than decent downtown IHG hotel that was part of their pointbreaks thing or whatever. usually $120/night or so. pretty insane amount of points to just give away.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 27, 2010, 07:48:21 AM »

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2010/10/26/answer-the-priority-club-challenge-for-2000-points-and-i-give-you-the-answer/

going to dallas for a wedding in december and this game got me a couple of free nights at a more than decent downtown IHG hotel that was part of their pointbreaks thing or whatever. usually $120/night or so. pretty insane amount of points to just give away.

Yeah, priority club is getting to be insane:
-Best and most EMAW hotel in Manhattan
-Can finally obtain/use miles while in vegas without having to stay at Hilton out in bumbfuck
-Only major hotelier with an android app
-Tons of goofy "crack the code" and "guess this rough ridin' place" type free points handouts

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 27, 2010, 08:29:11 AM »

Yeah, priority club is getting to be insane:
-Best and most EMAW hotel in Manhattan
-Can finally obtain/use miles while in vegas without having to stay at Hilton out in bumbeff
-Only major hotelier with an android app
-Tons of goofy "crack the code" and "guess this effing place" type free points handouts

there's some kind of ap or something that you can use tonce a day if you are at or near a holiday inn. only gives you like 50 points or something but if you drive past one or work at one, then i guess it would start to add up. the vegas thing is pretty interesting. wonder if other points systems will get involved there.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 27, 2010, 08:56:22 AM »
The article said that Marriott is affiliating with that new Cosmopolitan hotel.  That sucks for me as Marriott is the hotel brand I've chosen to shun (you have to make this decision and stick with it imo).  I've actually spread myself pretty thin already by spreading myself between HH, SPG and Priority Club.  I should have ditched HH when I decided I wanted to start doing PC but they are by far the most convenient for my work travel.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:44:17 AM by steve dave »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 27, 2010, 09:22:01 AM »
The article said that Marriott is affiliating with that new Cosmopolitan hotel.  That sucks for me as Marriott is the hotel brand I've chosen to shun (you have to make this decision and stick with it imo).  I've actually spread myself pretty thing already by spreading myself between HH, SPG and Priority Club.  I should have ditched HH when I decided I wanted to start doing PC but they are by far the most convenient for my work travel.

i get put in a lot of marriotts. not by choice but it starts to add up, so i occasionally use them as well. i'm gonna always go spg if possible though and if not then marriott. if neither is possible then i just don't really care i guess. hh is just so insane in terms of their categories and stuff. i don't think kc even has a 1 or 2. dunno, could be wrong though.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 27, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
Yeah, I think you have to have either Marriott or Hilton if you travel for work.  Most conferences are going to be in one of those and they have a shitload of locations each.  I wish I had started with Marriott but I'm kinda in too deep with HH right now given the Gold status for the upcoming year and that I've had the HH citi visa for about 5 years now.  There are almost zero HH 1 or 2s anywhere, not just KC.  The ones that you can find are out in the boonies where you are shocked to see a Hampton or Hilton Garden Inn to begin with.  Hell, even the Hampton in Manhattan is 25k HH. 

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 28, 2010, 06:06:22 AM »
The wife is spending a month in Syria for her work. Finagled things so that her employer paid us up front for all travel/lodging/per diem stuff. Then, she can charge all those costs on the CC for travel points. I am quite sure I didn't maximize the potential on this, but the opportunity was last minute, so I still feel pretty good about it, relatively.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 29, 2010, 09:05:14 AM »
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/products/cards/default.aspx

Go here ^ click the first box on the leaves scene and enter your continental airlines account number in the box and hit the arrow.  Hit back a couple times to get to the boxes on the leaves scene and click the second one.  Enter your continental account number again and hit the arrow.  350 continental miles. 

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 07, 2010, 05:40:21 PM »
You guys probably got this too, but got an e-mail from United about earning 1,000 miles by signing up for some e-mails from them. Details below.

As a valued Mileage Plus® member, you should be the first to know about opportunities to earn award miles, partner offers, fare sales and more. The easiest way to get the inside scoop is to update your Mileage Plus member profile and choose to receive emails from Mileage Plus and United®.

Update your profile today and earn 1,000 bonus award miles in the process. It’s the first of many exclusive offers you can look forward to.

Earn 1,000 bonus award miles when you:

1.   Visit My Profile on united.com
2.   Login to your account
3.   Choose "Mileage Plus Communications" and "United Offers & Announcements" in the Email subscriptions section

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 08, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »
$25 free if you are one of the first 100k to register your amex (must spend $25 on 11/27 at a "small business" that accepts amex)

https://enroll.amexnetwork.com/US/sbs/

Eligible merchants include any independently owned small businesses that accept the American Express Card.  Purchases made online, at large, national chains, at franchised business locations and at government agencies are not eligible.  Prepaid, corporate cards and ExpressPay transactions are not eligible.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 08, 2010, 12:33:47 PM »
$25 free if you are one of the first 100k to register your amex (must spend $25 on 11/27 at a "small business" that accepts amex)

Eligible merchants include any independently owned small businesses that accept the American Express Card.  Purchases made online, at large, national chains, at franchised business locations and at government agencies are not eligible.  Prepaid, corporate cards and ExpressPay transactions are not eligible.

done and done. stevedave cc thread bumps are just fantastic. love them.  :party:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 10, 2010, 07:44:15 AM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 10, 2010, 08:10:49 AM »
A nice think I've found with all these hotel deals is that not only do you get the points, you get the status given to somebody who actually stayed at a hotel half the year and accumulated the points naturally.

Me just now to front desk: Can I get a late check-out Friday?
Front desk:  Sure, you can check out at 1 instead of noon.
Me:  How about 6?
Front desk: Are you SPG gold/elite?  (can't remember exactly what level she asked about)
Me: I don't know.  I've got like 70K points.
Front desk: Uh, sure.  We'll put you down for checking out at 6.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 10, 2010, 08:35:48 AM »
A nice think I've found with all these hotel deals is that not only do you get the points, you get the status given to somebody who actually stayed at a hotel half the year and accumulated the points naturally.

Me just now to front desk: Can I get a late check-out Friday?
Front desk:  Sure, you can check out at 1 instead of noon.
Me:  How about 6?
Front desk: Are you SPG gold/elite?  (can't remember exactly what level she asked about)
Me: I don't know.  I've got like 70K points.
Front desk: Uh, sure.  We'll put you down for checking out at 6.

yeah, it's nice.  Some programs don't give you the elite status for that kind of point earning and some do.  Most airlines don't and will have seperate point figures.  you should be able to ask for a room upgrade and they have to give it to you if they have a room available depending on your level.  I think I'm only SPG silver for this coming year but I'm a Hilton Gold for the first time.  Pretty jacked to ask for club level every time I stay.  You also get extra points for every stay once you reach a higher level. 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 10, 2010, 08:38:05 AM »
yeah, just checked.  I have 4 stays to go to reach SPG gold for the coming year.  Not going to make it unless something comes up at work.   SPG silver is basically a pat on the back when you check in.  :frown:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 10, 2010, 08:52:13 AM »
yeah, just checked.  I have 4 stays to go to reach SPG gold for the coming year.  Not going to make it unless something comes up at work.   SPG silver is basically a pat on the back when you check in.  :frown:

i really kind of screwed up. i was like five nights away from spg gold and was going to go to san antonio for about that many days this month but cancelled. i'm not going to make it either.  :frown:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 20, 2010, 11:02:21 AM »
Is 50K - 60K HHonors points worth it?  Seems like last time I looked it took 40K points just for one night.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/apisites/microsite/apply/hilton-hhonors-card/71-1000-54?returnUrl=http://www.americanexpress.com

I almost never stay at HHonors places and have had 15K points forever.  If there's no point in trying to load up on them, how do I swap those to somebody who could use them in exchange for SPGs/Marriott/etc.?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 20, 2010, 11:10:59 AM »
Is 50K - 60K HHonors points worth it?  Seems like last time I looked it took 40K points just for one night.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/apisites/microsite/apply/hilton-hhonors-card/71-1000-54?returnUrl=http://www.americanexpress.com

I almost never stay at HHonors places and have had 15K points forever.  If there's no point in trying to load up on them, how do I swap those to somebody who could use them in exchange for SPGs/Marriott/etc.?

Can't swap them without paying a fee that is higher than the points are worth.  The Manhattan Hampton is 25k iirc.  It was 20k a year ago but then HH devalued their points and mumped everyone.  Their highest level used to be 40k but it went up to 50k.  So, 50k-60k HH are only worth about $250 imo.  The one benefit of HH is that you can get them pretty fast.  I'm kinda pissed at Hilton over the devaluation but I'm now a gold member just because they seem to line up the best with my work travel so I'll keep using them. 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 01, 2010, 07:50:29 AM »
Posted about this earlier but they extended it and everyone should do this.  Register your Amex(s) here and you get a $25 statement credit if you spend $25 or more on one purchase at a small business (not a chain) before 12/31.  If you have more than one Amex you can register them all and each will get the $25 credit.  Read a story of a couple who had 13 different Amex accounts, registered all of them and bought 13 bottles of $25 wine getting $325 back in statement credits.  I don't think you can register your spouses card on the same account though as it has to be different accounts. 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 01, 2010, 07:56:17 AM »
Also, got Priority Club Gold status for the coming year.  Don't have any idea how I got it as I only had about 3 stays this last year.  I do have 8 upcoming reservations so maybe they took that into account or something.  But, in reviewing the status, priority club gold is basically just a pat on the back equal to SPG silver.  10% point bonus and priority check in/check out.  My Hilton Gold status gives me free breakfast and room upgrades along with the extra points.  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:58:26 AM by steve dave »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 01, 2010, 08:05:41 AM »
Also, got Priority Club Gold status for the coming year.  Don't have any idea how I got it as I only had about 3 stays this last year.  I do have 8 upcoming reservations so maybe they took that into account or something.  But, in reviewing the status, priority club gold is basically just a pat on the back equal to SPG silver.  10% point bonus and priority check in/check out.  My Hilton Gold status gives me free breakfast and room upgrades along with the extra points. 

As Priority Club Gold, I was offered a bottled water and a choice of cookie (chocolate chip or snickerdoodle) when I checked in last night.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 01, 2010, 08:10:45 AM »
man oh man, bottled water here I come  :drool:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 01, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »
Posted about this earlier but they extended it and everyone should do this.  Register your Amex(s) here and you get a $25 statement credit if you spend $25 or more on one purchase at a small business (not a chain) before 12/31.  If you have more than one Amex you can register them all and each will get the $25 credit.  Read a story of a couple who had 13 different Amex accounts, registered all of them and bought 13 bottles of $25 wine getting $325 back in statement credits.  I don't think you can register your spouses card on the same account though as it has to be different accounts. 

Thanks to this and my 3 Amex cards I just bought 5 6packs of micro winter seasonals, two bottles of malbec and a bottle of champagne all for about $3  :pbj: