Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004009 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #9375 on: August 20, 2016, 12:46:56 PM »
I think you might be giving them more information than they need.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I didn't even talk to them.  Looked up my lease to see if there was an address for rent checks and saw this is prohibited.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: August 20, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »
Oh, weird.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: August 20, 2016, 12:56:15 PM »
I can still pay with a credit card for like $35-40.  I've got an alaska card coming with a $1000 spend req., $75 fee but a $100 statement credit, so I'll pay with that and be out like $10 for 30K miles and not have to use that card when I could be using better bonus cards instead.  That online thing doesn't take amex though so at some point I'll have to spend $750 for my new basic hhonors card and hope I don't have to spend too much of it on chase bonus categories.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9378 on: August 20, 2016, 02:10:32 PM »
In particular, Marriott execs are concerned about the compatibility of combining Starwood’s loyalty-rewards program with its own, said one source. Starwood has a younger and more affluent clientele that is used to a more flexible points system than the staid Marriott brand. “This isn’t exactly what they thought they were buying,” said the source. “There is a notion of remorse,” said one source close to the deal.

could have posted to gE and I would have told them this

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: August 20, 2016, 03:16:28 PM »
i don't understand what the quote is saying.  mariott people are remorseful that starwood clients are young and affluent?  is there something unsaid about how starwood points (or their equivalent in combined loyality program points) are too expensive for them to keep offering?  i don't get it.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: August 20, 2016, 03:46:58 PM »
only one thing to do, unmerge the points and offer a 100K spg amex as incentive to get all the young affluent people back. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9381 on: August 20, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »
Does it make any sense to do this, especially if SPGs could be getting weird soon?

Don’t miss your chance to earn more miles toward your next trip with the American Airlines AAdvantage® and Starwood Preferred Guest® programs. Now through September 14, 2016, you can earn a 20% bonus when you convert your Starpoints® to AAdvantage miles.

As always, for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction, SPG® will automatically add another 5,000 Starpoints. With the additional 20% mileage bonus offered by the AAdvantage program, you’ll receive 30,000 miles from the transaction.

I have about 33K SPGs, 15K AAs and 10K Marriott.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9382 on: August 20, 2016, 07:14:20 PM »
i don't understand what the quote is saying.  mariott people are remorseful that starwood clients are young and affluent?  is there something unsaid about how starwood points (or their equivalent in combined loyality program points) are too expensive for them to keep offering?  i don't get it.

It means there isn't an easy way to merge the programs. Either they are going to go 4:1 Marriott to SPG or they are going to significantly devalue SPG points. And they aren't going to continue the better than 1:1 transfer ratio to most airlines. So they are going to have to figure out how to properly compensate SPG point holders in a way they can afford and figure out a way to keep them loyal to a shitty program they now find themselves in which they can't do unless they drastically improve the Marriott program which has huge costs involved. The NY Post article insinuates they didn't even consider this or maybe did but just assumed an SPG point was worth what a Marriott point was and the programs were close enough to equal. Which any gE cc thread person could have explained to them in 5 minutes.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9383 on: August 20, 2016, 07:22:28 PM »
i can't imagine that they couldn't/didn't calculate the relative value of the various points.  i'd keep the starwood properties earning at about the same rate and phase out the transfers giving the starwood point owners a generous grace period to transfer out their points before the new rules hit.  it doesn't seem like that intransigent a problem.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: August 20, 2016, 07:44:52 PM »
I can still pay with a credit card for like $35-40.  I've got an alaska card coming with a $1000 spend req., $75 fee but a $100 statement credit, so I'll pay with that and be out like $10 for 30K miles and not have to use that card when I could be using better bonus cards instead.  That online thing doesn't take amex though so at some point I'll have to spend $750 for my new basic hhonors card and hope I don't have to spend too much of it on chase bonus categories.

Mine just showed up the other day and I hit the spend.  Do you know what the "rules" are for how quickly you can churn it?
@mikec2w

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9385 on: August 20, 2016, 07:51:56 PM »
I can still pay with a credit card for like $35-40.  I've got an alaska card coming with a $1000 spend req., $75 fee but a $100 statement credit, so I'll pay with that and be out like $10 for 30K miles and not have to use that card when I could be using better bonus cards instead. 

Mine just showed up the other day and I hit the spend.  Do you know what the "rules" are for how quickly you can churn it?

I've read multiple times over the years that you can get another one while you still have the original, but I don't have an exact timetable on when you should do what.  I was thinking I'd try for a second at the start of 2017 without canceling the one I have coming, depending on how much room I've got before I've got a bunch falling off in summer to get me back in the chase game.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: August 20, 2016, 07:58:49 PM »
I can still pay with a credit card for like $35-40.  I've got an alaska card coming with a $1000 spend req., $75 fee but a $100 statement credit, so I'll pay with that and be out like $10 for 30K miles and not have to use that card when I could be using better bonus cards instead. 

I've read multiple times over the years that you can get another one while you still have the original, but I don't have an exact timetable on when you should do what.  I was thinking I'd try for a second at the start of 2017 without canceling the one I have coming, depending on how much room I've got before I've got a bunch falling off in summer to get me back in the chase game.

2017 would work about right.  By then we should have hit the CSP and Ink bonuses as well and be ready to go again.
@mikec2w

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: August 20, 2016, 08:10:16 PM »
i can't imagine that they couldn't/didn't calculate the relative value of the various points.  i'd keep the starwood properties earning at about the same rate and phase out the transfers giving the starwood point owners a generous grace period to transfer out their points before the new rules hit.  it doesn't seem like that intransigent a problem.

No crap, but here we are. With them apparently having done just that.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9388 on: August 20, 2016, 08:11:46 PM »
Article btw

http://nypost.com/2016/08/19/marriott-has-buyers-remorse-over-starwood-megamerger/

NYPost so TIFWIW but it seems strangely specific to be fabrication

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: August 21, 2016, 11:07:27 AM »
Was reading the churner Reddit, it sounds like no one really knows when the app link is going live or if 5/24 is enforced.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9390 on: August 21, 2016, 02:11:39 PM »
Was reading the churner Reddit, it sounds like no one really knows when the app link is going live or if 5/24 is enforced.

It will be here any time. Maybe monday. Already available in branch.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: August 21, 2016, 03:02:40 PM »
no hurry.  may as well wait until november, actually.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9392 on: August 21, 2016, 03:03:53 PM »
or wait, do you get that travel credit right away or do you have to wait until you hit the spend?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9393 on: August 21, 2016, 03:40:02 PM »

It will be here any time. Maybe monday. Already available in branch.

ya that's what they are saying in the thread, sounds like 5/24 is still in effect too

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9394 on: August 22, 2016, 08:53:25 AM »
it's live

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9395 on: August 22, 2016, 09:02:38 AM »
but is it lit
emaw

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9396 on: August 22, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »
denied for too many cards.  I figured it was coming but I still tried.  ah well.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:55:40 AM by GoodForAnother »
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9397 on: August 22, 2016, 11:09:46 AM »
did it decline outright or did you have to call to see after it said they would review?

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9398 on: August 22, 2016, 11:50:57 AM »
did it decline outright or did you have to call to see after it said they would review?

It said they would review, then I called and the guy gently informed me that I'm at 7/24 and politely asked me to eff off
emaw

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9399 on: August 22, 2016, 11:52:06 AM »
fwiw, around a 10-15 minute hold time. got the feeling they're slammed.
emaw